Summer League Thread

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:59 am
Way too early to give up on Tyler IMO. We knew from the moment we drafted him that he would be a long term project. He's very raw, but he has all the potential in the world, and he's shown some flashes of that potential. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get many minutes this season, but I hope we hold on to him and keep developing him like we surely intended to do from the get-go.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:58 am
Yeah, maybe a little too early to tell. I'm going to keep a close on eye on him during this years summer league. In yesterday's game he looked so lost on defense. He didn't show on screens, didn't rebound (they got a couple of offensive rebounds in the first couple of possessions), and his footwork still looks terrible. The more I talk about it the more I think he's the same player that came into the league a year ago and shows no signs of improvement in any area. But like I said it's only the 1st game of summer league and maybe he needs a little more opportunity. But so far it doesn't look good.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Rookie
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:55 pm
I understand he is a project but u would expect some development. I for one not expecting him to dominate but rebounding should be the only thing on this mind. So while he is still young you got to show more effort with the rebounding effort their. One isn't going to cut it. Let's hope he picks it up this game.
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:21 pm
Klay going nuts already.

Rookie
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:09 pm
hobbes wrote:Klay going nuts already.

I agree, just killing the Nuggets. I would suggest making a line up change and start Green instead of Tyler and see how they play. Also, as good as a shooter Barnes is, I have yet to see some dribble drive and maybe some post ups. I'm not too high on his defense either...
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:20 pm
Tyler is garbitch.

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:23 pm
His footwork is atrocious.

Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:14 pm
He didn't look any better today either.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:47 pm
DleagueDelight wrote:
Also, as good as a shooter Barnes is, I have yet to see some dribble drive and maybe some post ups. I'm not too high on his defense either...

I didn't see the game tonight. I taped it and will watch it later but Barnes posted up a few times yesterday against the Lakers and he also took it to the hole including the and 1 dunk to start the game. And his defense wasn't bad at all.

You must have missed his first game.

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:08 am
I watched the first game, but in a blow out, there really wasn't much D that I saw after the first quarter. The second game, was a lot closer until the end. You can see Klay was doing a little of everything. We know Barnes can shoot so I think they should have him focus on dribbling and driving or posting up.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:45 pm
Watching NBA TV summer league, Richard Jefferson just came on to talk about NBA Leadership program.
It is nice to hear him talk about what he is bringing to the team and NBA. He has gone to the Playoffs 10 of 12 of his seasons.
I think, just from listening to him, that he is going to be a very important piece for this team as a backup SF.

He seems to be embracing that his best years are behind him and what he offers is leadership and experience.
I actually am against trading him now, unless we bring back a verteran.
Just let his contract expire giving us cap room in 2 years. We don't need the cap space right now, since 3 of our starters are on rookie contracts.
Next year will be a squeez, but if we get rid of a contract, I hope it is AB and not Jefferson.
Maybe if AB gets arrested for Tax Evasion, his contract won't count against the cap next year lol.
(horrible thought, i know)
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Rookie
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:48 pm
Barnes had a quiet game against the Nuggets, but he did show some nice things. I like his floater, and he threw it down with authority a few times. I like that he's not afraid to go to the rim, which ironically, was one of his biggest knocks coming into the draft. So it looks like he's trying to answer his critics.

Ezeli has made a nice presence under the rim. He had a BEASTLY block against the Nuggets, and I believe he had 2 blocks against the Lakers. He also got the line a few times and was finding nice position, offensively, under the rim. I like what I see from him.

Dramond Green has been decent. Looks like a solid backup right now who works hard on all aspects of the game. Good shooter, nice and lengthy, solid rebounding. He really provides nice depth.

Overall impressive display from our rookies thus far.

Klay Thompson: has been really expanding his game this offseason. You can tell. He's posting up, he's taking it to the whole, he's finding players open, and he's draining 3's like there's no tomorrow. He's going to have a solid year. I said it during his rookie campaign last year, and I stand by it now, Klay Thompson will have an overall better career than Monta Ellis. I just think he's not only a better shooter, but he's MUCH more fundamentally sound, and he also has much better size and defense. Monta was electrifying, quick, could make his own shot and great at steals, all to his credit, but he just cost us too many crucial turnovers when it mattered. Not only that, but his wild style of play, and his committment to leaving the ground really made him an easy target to get called for a charge. i just like Klay a lot better for our future.

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:38 pm
Warriorsallday wrote:Barnes had a quiet game against the Nuggets, but he did show some nice things. I like his floater, and he threw it down with authority a few times. I like that he's not afraid to go to the rim, which ironically, was one of his biggest knocks coming into the draft. So it looks like he's trying to answer his critics.

Ezeli has made a nice presence under the rim. He had a BEASTLY block against the Nuggets, and I believe he had 2 blocks against the Lakers. He also got the line a few times and was finding nice position, offensively, under the rim. I like what I see from him.

Dramond Green has been decent. Looks like a solid backup right now who works hard on all aspects of the game. Good shooter, nice and lengthy, solid rebounding. He really provides nice depth.

Klay Thompson: has been really expanding his game this offseason. You can tell. He's posting up, he's taking it to the whole, he's finding players open, and he's draining 3's like there's no tomorrow. He's going to have a solid year. I said it during his rookie campaign last year, and I stand by it now, Klay Thompson will have an overall better career than Monta Ellis. I just think he's not only a better shooter, but he's MUCH more fundamentally sound, and he also has much better size and defense. Monta was electrifying, quick, could make his own shot and great at steals, all to his credit, but he just cost us too many crucial turnovers when it mattered. Not only that, but his wild style of play, and his committment to leaving the ground really made him an easy target to get called for a charge. i just like Klay a lot better for our future.

Couldn't have said it better myself about your assessment with Klay. As for monta, he did always play his butt off, and guarded out of position from a height stand point. In retrospective, his wild and at times out of control Plays was What made him exciting and fun to watch but also doomed him as a winning player.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:14 am
DleagueDelight wrote:
Warriorsallday wrote:Barnes had a quiet game against the Nuggets, but he did show some nice things. I like his floater, and he threw it down with authority a few times. I like that he's not afraid to go to the rim, which ironically, was one of his biggest knocks coming into the draft. So it looks like he's trying to answer his critics.

Couldn't have said it better myself about your assessment with Klay. As for monta, he did always play his butt off, and guarded out of position from a height stand point. In retrospective, his wild and at times out of control Plays was What made him exciting and fun to watch but also doomed him as a winning player.

Very true.. And, what's ironic, is that has been the M.O. of the Warriors of the last 20 years or so, "exciting and fun to watch but also doomed as a winning team."
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:46 pm
Warriorsallday wrote:
DleagueDelight wrote:

Very true.. And, what's ironic, is that has been the M.O. of the Warriors of the last 20 years or so, "exciting and fun to watch but also doomed as a winning team."

It is my belief that if Tyson Chandler would have kept his desire to sign with us instead of ditching us to go to NYK, then we would have made the playoffs last year without having to trade Monta. It we would have had Monta, Klay, Wright, Lee, Chandler lineup while curry was out with injury, then Curry, Monta, Klay, Lee, Chandler lineup to play with while he was healthy. We would have amestied AB if Chandler commited to come here, only reason we didn't amnesty AB when we went for D. Jordan was because if Clippers matched we would be without a center. Anyways, my point is it is unfair to say Ellis is not a winner when you put any SG on the roster we would have had and we don't make the playoffs. Our roster was just not that good with Curry hurt and no real Center.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball