Who will be our starting PG?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:48 am
Curry of course. Not so fast. I think that Jack can make a serious case for the starting PG job. The two of them have close numbers but. Curry is a far better shooter and Jack a far better defender. And with Barnes and Klay on the starting five why do i think is more logical to start Jack?

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:12 pm
No offense to Jack because I value his skills and what he brings to the table, but he is not starting. There really is no argument. Although he does play better defense Curry's talent on the offensive side of the ball outweighs his deficiency on defense. If anything it would be more logical to have someone like McGuire to start at the 3 and sit Barnes than to have someone like Curry sit and have Jack start. In the end it doesn't really matter. With Jack on the team, the point guard position becomes our position of most depth. What we need to work on is adding depth to the 4 position.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:15 pm
Curry will start for sure. But I wouldn't be surprised if they rotated Curry to the 2 spot for his shooting abilities.
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:32 pm
Curry will start if he's healthy but I can see where they will be on the floor at the same time a lot during the season.
Role Player
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:34 pm
I don't now . Currys health will be a big issue here. Don't forget, the Warriors refused to make an offer to Curry exactly for the same reason. I think that he is one injure away from leaving this team at the end of this year.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:18 pm
Curry.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:20 pm
TRON wrote:I don't now . Currys health will be a big issue here. Don't forget, the Warriors refused to make an offer to Curry exactly for the same reason. I think that he is one injure away from leaving this team at the end of this year.

If Curry gets injured, then Jack will start. But going into the season, Curry will be the uncontested starter, and deservedly so. As hobbes said, I wouldn't be surprised to see some situations with both Curry and Jack on the floor; Jack has the defensive skills to guard opposing SGs, which means we could let Curry play as more of a 2 guard at times without sacrificing too much on the defensive end.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:12 pm
I don't think this is a question. I'm sure we'll see Curry and Jack on the court together for extended minutes, but Curry will start until he re-injures his ankle.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:58 am
Curry, no doubt about it.

And I'm not of a opinion that they will see a lot of time together on the floor. That will be in just some situations, like if opposing team is playing with two shorter guards at both guard positions. If you want a good D at SG position, why put Jack in to guard much taller guys, if you have Brandon Rush on the bench?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:40 am
Firstly, it was a very good trade of DWright getting Jack, as now PG, SG and SF are two deep and no logjam. It is interesting getting Jack, who was not only the starting PG for NO, but had his best season. It could very much be that getting Jack allows the team to trade Curry if he doesn't perform well, which is unlikely. Curry will start though, but Jack is there to start if Curry gets injured.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:00 pm
If Curry doesn't perform well or gets injured, then his trade value will pretty much be next to zero. If this team traded Curry for pieces tomorrow and tell us they'll be starting Jack, I wouldn't be upset. Especially if they could get a team to take Biedrins while handing them back an expiring contract.
Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:50 pm
Yes but i have questions. A PG with 16ppg and 6apg paired with good defence and toughness is no good to start? Do we preach defence and toughness as the first priority for this team 2 years now or am i mistaken? Most of us are high on McGuire a player with absolutely no offensive game because he is a lock down defender and now we choose without a doubt Curry because he can shoot? With Barns and Klay ant the wings do we really need another shooter? I personally believe that after centre the PG is the most important position to have a top defender. Why? Because a player like that can really create huge problems to the offensive function of a team. If your Pg is bothered to even dribble the ball because he has someone all over him he has less time to organize the offence and that can be an enormous problem.
I don't know you may be wright but if i was a coach i would walk in the training camp with th PG slot wide open.

All Star
Poster Credit: 24
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:24 pm
It's also because the enormous amount of potential Curry has. You have to mix your win now attitude with your future. If you don't, you end up like the Knicks.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:13 am
It's not like it's just a better defender or better "attacker" who should start, it's hot big of a difference it is in those two aspects between the two.

Here's what I think. I believe that Curry's game is far better than Jack's (without the added potential), compared to how better Jack is better defensively than Steph. In my book it will always be "the offense is the best defense". If we have Jack who plays good defense, but is not great offensively (he was good, but not very consistent, he would score 20+ points in a blowout when opposing team knew they won already, and the next game he can score 5 points), there will be a lot of fastbreaks for opposing teams when we can't score, and I'm of a believe that no matter how great Klay and Harrison are, we will still struggle more on offense when Steph is not in the game.

Just my opinion.
Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:57 pm
And it's respected,What i am trying to say is that we still have our minds fixed on offence. We still judge the players mostly by ppg. Changing this franchise in a winner means we have to change the way we see the game completely. Offence cuts tickets defence brings titles.

Next

Return to Warriors Basketball