Warriors Radar

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:09 am
Why don't the Warriors kick tires on Scola after he's amnestied?

If another team wants to give him a multiyear deal for big money, f it. But if he's in the $4 million range, I think Lacob's cool paying a little luxury tax.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:51 am
migya wrote:
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:Reports are Houston considering amnisty on Scola!! Why not trade Bedriens for Scola, this year they both make the same, next year Scola makes $10, and $11 the year after. We get our backup big and Houston saves $12 million by using amnesty on AB instead of Scola.....

Seems like it would make sense, but actually wouldn't. The team will have to resign Curry in a year and Klay a couple of years later, so Scola's money would either prohibit that or put the team way into luxury tax. You don't want a backup making that much money anyway, unless he's worth it and your owner is willing to.

Be nice to find a team that wants to cut salary through amnesty and trade AB for a player with just one year left at considerably less money, like 7 million.

That's the beauty of it, it wouldn't affect your ability to sign Curry or Klay because your exchanging AB for Scola. Same contract except Scola is one more year. Your paying starting money to someone who sees 10 mins a game? If that? Scola can help the depth at PF, and there could be times when him and Lee are on court togrther. You know Lee is going to play some C already because Jackson likes to do that near end of games. If Lee is at the 5, who would you rather have at the 4, Scola or.... Jefferson?

Back to the contract... Curry's rookie contract expires after this season, but it makes no difference if we have Scola or AB, both of them are taking up cap space. After that Klay's rookie comes off in 3 years... So Scola and Jefferson, and Bogut would be off the books. Remember Udoh was drafted after Curry, then Klay.

Here is my last point, who is more tradeable? AB or Scola? With the same contract? We could always package him up next year if needed. To me, why let him hit open market if amnestied? If you do that you won't get rid of AB's contract...
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:00 pm
No way we get Scola. He'll get picked up on the amnesty wire.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:40 pm
Warriors are pursuing Carl Landry.
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:44 pm
That would be a great signing. Not sure how we could get Landry and Rush and stay under the tax but we'll see.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:24 pm
Joe Lacob ain't playin. Not only are we shaping up a reputable starting 5, we want a 2nd unit to go with it. It's clear day that our success hinges on the health of Curry and Bogut, but in case they go down, we would have viable pieces to work with to help us compete. New Orleans was a pretty bad team last year, but they did not lay down and roll over every game. If you watched them (and I did because of the tank watch), they competed really hard. Jack is a very capable starter and I'm glad we acquired him. It would be really nice if we could get Landry for the right price too. He's not talented by any means but he has what we need, and that's toughness. He's a straight up banger. If I recall correctly his game is getting into the paint and getting offensive rebounds. Any team could use 2 or 3 extra offensive positions.

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:28 pm
Rumor: We are considering signing Kenyon Martin.

Also, Kwame has signed a 2-year deal with the 76ers.
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:33 pm
Would much rather have Landry. Kenyon is a bit of a locker room cancer but he would provide a lot of toughness which we need.
All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:17 pm
Kenyon Martin is also an area of the Warrior's interest.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:18 pm
I like both those options better than Hickson, Brown, or even McGuire.

Carl Landry is a starter-in-waiting that can fill in for either big position, Kenyon Martin is a big, strong, dirty 4 that can finish. We could use either.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:25 pm
The team needs to get a big that defends well, if they get another big at all. KMart, though he has had an attiude in the past, seems to fit that better.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:00 am
Not a big fan of Landry. He's a bad rebounder, and a mediocre defender. I wouldn't be completely opposed if we could retain McGuire and Rush and still have room for Landry, but I don't think that's a possibility. McGuire should be a priority over Landry.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:51 am
D4rk 0ne wrote:Not a big fan of Landry. He's a bad rebounder, and a mediocre defender. I wouldn't be completely opposed if we could retain McGuire and Rush and still have room for Landry, but I don't think that's a possibility. McGuire should be a priority over Landry.

His game is getting on the offensive board although I just check his stats and it doesn't look like he rebounds that well on the defensive side so your assessment still may be right. But I agree, I think our priority should be bringing McGuire back and have him playing in from of RJ.

All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:59 pm
Lakers are looking at Brandon Rush.... I think because they are a luxury tax payer, they can only ofer the mini-MLE, correct?
Meaning $3.1 million a year... if that is the case, I'm sure we would match that... i hope.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Rookie
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:38 pm
During the Summer League game against the Nuggets the other day, the analysts were discussing potential pieces that could be added to our squad. The two main names that were mentioned/discussed were Landry and Martin. They seemed to think either piece would be a nice fit, and would give out team the added size/toughness that would really complete the roster.

One thing to note, which may be significant, is that Jack is pushing hard campaigning with Mark Jackson and the FO to get Landry. Not sure how much weight he carries, but who knows. I'd welcome he or Martin with open arms. Martins does have an attitude issue at times, but his nastiness and aggressiveness is sort of an addition this team could use. We have a myriad of stand up, well-spoken guys. We have a solid lockerroom, I don't think Martin would disrupt that.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball