Do the Warriors need a back up big?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:05 am
Is Tyler really a good proven back up power forward? Do you think Biedrins will do at the center, backup? How do you like the guys they got in the draft? Or should D mcguire be the back up power forward?

They are good at small forward though, so i could see why they wouldn't sign D Mcguire. They already have Barnes and Jeff.

They are good now at the guard spots. Curry, Jack, Jenkins, and then Thompson and Rush.

I think Jeremy Tyler is not good at the center spot. He is too small. Last year he seemed to get pounded down low.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:17 am
I think we do but do we have enough cap space to sign someone? I hope it's not Yi Jinlian. We need a tough rebounding shot blocker and not a 7' shooting guard.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:50 am
Two other guys to keep an eye on are Andray Blatche and Darko Milicic. Both are being considered as serious amnesty victims. If either one gets amnestied, then the Warriors could pounce to grab one relatively cheap since their original teams are still writing them a nice sized paycheck.

I still wouldn't mind Yi Jianlian. When given minutes, he didn't play that bad. He never lived up to his lottery status or his international superstar one, but when he played 31 mpg in NJ he averaged 12 points and 7 rebounds while being 22 years old. Brook Lopez just got a max deal as a center averaging 6 rebounds a game and a half a block. Would Yi be a better option than Jeremy Tyler? I think so. He's able to spread the floor. If he could chip in 8 points and 5 rebounds in 20 minutes of play, then at a contract under a million, its a pretty good deal.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:04 am
Those are both decent ideas, Bay. I dunno if I'd pay either man - besides Darko - above the minimum, honestly, but I'd take a really cheap flyer on both. Milicic was ideal before we drafted Ezeli, but I'd still take him no questions asked. Blatche is intruiging, but I heard he's not a great locker room guy and is a major Stephen Jackson on offense (SHOULD only take 6 or 7 shots, leaves the game 5-for-18). Yi has been a favored rumor here since he got drafted. I've never been a huge fan; as I think his game is too soft to translate on a consistent basis, but for backup minutes, there are plenty of worse options.

If the original question of the thread is beckoning an answer, than, yes, I believe they need a veteran bench big for half the season until Tyler, Green, or Ezeli find themselves. That guy could easily be McGuire on the cheap, but for some reason the Dubs are looking at everything else first. If we're not careful, another team might swoop him...
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:04 pm
I agree that Blatche is talented but he is also a cancer. We don't want him ruining what we already have. The Wizards have been trying to trade him for years but no-one wants him. Now that they've got Nene and Emeka they can afford to amnesty him.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:42 am
Darko is an option, but he was so poor last season that even his shotblocking was not good. If noone else is availabel, I'd have him, but for no more than 1 million a year and for one year only. He'll get more than that from another team.

migya make the ring fall on ya

Return to Warriors Basketball