2012 Free Agent Thread

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:45 pm
migya wrote:I thought Nash would seriously consider going to Miami. Since he didn't, I thought Kidd would if he didn't stay in Dallas. I do think both could make a big difference for those two teams, especially Nash, as now the Lakers once again are real contenders. In fact, I'd probably pick them right now for next season if they keep the rest of the starters intact.

Roy can go to the TWolves, that more than likely means that one of either Wes Johnson, Webster or Derrick Williams is going to get traded.

Lin not being kept by the Knicks is strange, as he did so well there and could be a bigger star in New York than in Houston.

The Raptors got Lowry for next to nothing, at least right now as their future 1st rounder could be a lottery one.

No way IMO Knicks don't match for Lin's contract. As much as I like Nash w/ the Lakers, I still think the West goes through OKC. However, Nash is going to make everyone better offensively without a doubt, crazy good.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:59 pm
Jesus Shuttlesworth to the Heat!! He must of been really pissed with Rondo lol.
He will really open the lanes for wade and James...

About Minny getting Batum and Roy, wonder if the would trade Luke now? He is an excellent backup PG.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:52 am
The T-Wolves have apparently offered a $45m, 4 year deal for Batum...Wow! If I was Portland, I'd let him go for that sort of money. What is it with all the over-inflated contracts being thrown around this off season? Batum is good but he is not worth anywhere near that.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:26 am
Let the other teams throw out those big contracts, just better for us not taking on anymore crap. It'll just salary strap those teams for a few years.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:18 am
Ryan Anderson signed four-year, $36 million contract in a sign-and-trade deal that will send backup center Gustavo Ayon to the Orlando Magic. Alot of money for a backup to Adavis, unless Hornets want ADavis to be their Center and RAnderson to be their starting PF. Hornets making lots of changes. Might be a huge turnaround for them.

Free-agent center Marcus Camby has agreed to join the New York Knicks in a sign-and-trade deal with the Houston Rockets. Marcus Camby split last season with the Trail Blazers and Rockets. The Rockets will receive guard Toney Douglas, forward Josh Harrellson, center Jerome Jordan, second-round picks in 2014 and '15 and cash used to pay Douglas' salary from the Knicks. Camby will get a three-year, $13.2 million contract that contains a partial guarantee in the third season. Camby will be 40 years old when that deal ends.

The Indiana Pacers have decided to match the four-year, $58 million offer sheet All-Star center Roy Hibbert signed with the Portland Trail Blazers. Bit of a no brainer, Pacers needed to keep Hibbert who keeps getting better.

Veteran guard Kirk Hinrich has agreed to a deal to return to the Chicago Bulls. Don't know what money and years to the deal, but that's another good fit player that is gone off the FA.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:07 pm
Captain Kirk was a good pickup for the Bulls and Camby still has something to offer the Knicks. I'm glad the Pacers matched Hibbert's contract. I agree that $36mil is way too much for Anderson but it seems as though every free agent is cashing in at the moment. The Rockets are just awful! They'll make the Bobcats look good next season.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:40 pm
The Miami Heat have agreed to sign free-agent forward Rashard Lewis to a two-year contract. Rashard Lewis will make more than $10 million this season as part of his Hornets buyout. Lewis will receive the $1.35 million veteran’s minimum next season. The second year of the contract is a player’s option.

The New York Knicks are keeping another key member of their rotation with JR Smith deciding to re-sign.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:38 am
Tim Duncan will sign a three-year contract with the Spurs this week.

Duncan's representatives and the Spurs are finalizing a few items in the contract, but the structure has been agreed upon. The contract has a player option for the third season and is fully guaranteed. The deal also has a no-trade clause, sources said, and should take Duncan to the end of his playing days.

The Spurs have reached agreements with free agents Danny Green (three years, $12 million) and Boris Diaw (two years, $9.2 million). They also have struck a deal to re-sign guard Patty Mills, who opted out of his contract after last season, and intend to add French guard Nando De Colo.

Spurs keep what won them alot and continue to show what a real team should be built like.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:20 pm
The Dallas Mavericks have reached an agreement to sign free-agent center Chris Kaman to a one-year, $8 million contract.

Kaman’s contract is expected to be finalized Wednesday night after he takes a physical. The Indiana Pacers also had interest in Kaman, but that courtship ended after they decided to match a four-year, $58 million offer sheet for center Roy Hibbert. Kaman averaged 13.1 points and 7.7 rebounds in 47 games with the New Orleans Hornets last season. After the expected departure of Jason Terry and Jason Kidd – and their unsuccessful attempt to land Deron Williams – the Mavericks have a long list of free agents they’re considering. They offered Kaman a short deal to keep their options flexible for next season when Dwight Howard and Chris Paul could become free agents.

Dallas now needs a starting PG and might actually trade Haywood for one.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:01 am
The Atlanta Hawks signed former Philadelphia 76ers guard Lou Williams to a multi-year contract Thursday.

Indiana Pacers would trade him and defensive-minded wing Dahntay Jones to the Dallas Mavericks (as first reported by Draft Express' Jonathan Givony) for the right to hand big man Ian Mahinmi $16 million over four seasons.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:33 am
Lin is not coming back to New York. Knicks did a sign and trade for felton.

Also news on Dwight because I don't feel like double posting in the dwight thread. Alex Kennedy of Hoopsworld.com reports that the Magic are considering a trade sending Dwight Howard to the Lakers in exchange for a package of players, draft picks and salary cap relief, while Andrew Bynum would land with the Cavaliers.

As for the Rockets:
Houston gets: Howard, Duhon, Jason Richardson, Big Baby
Orlando gets: White, Lamb, Jones, Martin, Patterson, Morris, Parsons + Raptors 1st rounder + maybe other picks?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:36 pm
Marcus Thompson

According to league sources, free agent Anthony Randolph would like returning to Warriors. The only question is would GSW want him. They'd have to miss out on Carl Landry to consider Randolph. For his career, Randolph averages as many rebounds (5.1) as Landry in 7 fewer mins. Randolph is also a better shotblocker. And Mark Jackson is supposed to be someone who can deal with Randolph's temperament.

I'd much rather AR than Landry and he'd be real cheap as well. Would prefer a beefier big, but AR always rebounded and shotblocked quite well so he'd be alright.

Also, Jamison is likely going to the Lakers and they, to me, should be favourites for the championship. With Nash and Jamison, they've got more firepower than anyone else.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:04 pm
Lakers would be instant favorites to win the NBA finals in 2005. Anyways, to me the Lakers are still the second best team. It's the Thunder, Lakers, Spurs, and Grizzlies in the west that can make the finals. The East contenders right now are the Heat, Pacers, and Celtics.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:54 pm
Jamison can still score and rebound, he did so quite well last season. I think that Nash gives them so much more that it makes them the best team in the nba right now. Don't know why they didn't do better last season, as PGasol and Bynum are the best big duo and Kobe is still a top 5 player. Their coach is the one that has to be looked at for their lack of going further with the talent they had. They should be looking at getting Jerry Sloan as their coach. He should be there until Kobe retires.

Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:56 am
It's expected that Wizards will amnesty Blatche...might be something to look at, since we are looking for a good backup PF. Now he might be signed for a lot smaller amount of money. But, I think I would still take both Landry and Randolph over him. He's a nutcase.

And O.J. Mayo said that he's going to sign with the Mavericks...and now, all of a sudden, you have to put Mavericks as a team that could still challenge other top teams in the West.
PreviousNext

Return to NBA Forum