Welcome Draymond Green

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:27 pm
Didn't see a thread for Draymond Green so here we are.

Great value at where he was picked and found this excerpt about him:

http://www.draftexpress.com//profile/Draymond-Green-5859/

He (Magic Johnson) was also asked about Draymond Green, who has been described by Izzo as a very, very poor man's Johnson, given their similar skill sets. Does Johnson think Green have a future in the NBA?

"He's definitely going to make it in the NBA. He can rebound, he can pass, he can shoot and he's smart.

When you can pass, rebound and shoot, you have a nose for that basketball like he does, and he's a leader. He's going to definitely make it. Also he's a great teammate, so I feel that he's going to definitely back up somebody in the NBA. I think he'll be probably late first round.

The problem is he's a four‑year guy, so a lot of franchises are going to be looking for that type of guy who went to school, who knows, who can come in and play right away and be a sub right away. Draymond is going to be perfect for that role for some team in the late first round.

So you don't see guys that are a triple threat like that anymore. You usually see guys that can do one of two things. They can either rebound, they can't score. They can score, can't rebound. This guy is almost, what, he's got more double‑doubles. He's one of the leaders in double‑doubles in the country.

He can take you all the way out to the three‑point line. He's definitely going to make the NBA, no question in my mind."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Nice endorsement, Magic Johnson himself.

He has nice blend of skills Green and could be a permanent here on the team. He will have to improve his speed and quickness, even shot creation, to be real effective. Comparison to Rodney Rogers, who played for Denver over fifteen years ago, is very good for him, as Rogers was a very good player for a few years there, being able to score from inside and outside.

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:22 am
I am actually very intrigued by this guy. I want to see what he can do as backup PF.
I don't understand why Dub's brass is going out looking for another big man whan they have Lee, Tyler and Green. Then they have Bogut, Beans and Ezeli at the C spot.
Why waste your money on another big who isn't going to see mins on this roster. I mean, unless they bring in someone cheap, or resign someone like Gladness...

I would like to see what these group of bigs can do.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:55 am
Green's also athletic and skillsd enough to play SF. Really was a great pick.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:42 pm
I think the backup bigs are way too inexperienced and unproven. A big like Hickson is actually a real need until the backup bigs like Tyler and Ezeli show they can perform well and consistently. Same deal with a backup PG, if Nate isn't kept.

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:24 pm
Poor mans Kevin Love, did not watch alot of college this year. Watched some games of him on youtube, he was in the post most of game, capable of hitting the open 3, he makes the right pass, another guy with good overall game. Can come in off the bench and become real value-able from the get go.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:46 pm
With one major difference: Green plays defense. A lotta dudes have played for Tom Izzo's squad at Michigan. Draymond Green leads them all in total rebounds and is second in blocks and steals.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:07 am
Yea, Green seems to do alot and that's why I was so happy we got to pick him. One of the only knocks on him is that he lacks some athleticism, but he seems alright.

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:14 pm
That would be an added bonus if he can d-up, and to what extent, whether he can play defense against quick 3's or down-low with the 4's.

I know he can play both 3, and 4, but what posistion do you guys see him playing at this level.

The few games I saw he was generally on the block, but in the pro's he has an interesting skill set, I think he is skill enough to play the 3, the question is the quickness whether he can move laterally, stay with other 3's. Summer league will answer some of those questions and give us a better feel.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:03 am
Is it just me, or these two look alike?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:04 am
Maybe not the best choice of pics, though I was trying...but there were few where Draymond really reminds me of Terry.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:40 pm
Pretty good article from RTP:
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/49359/rookies-in-transition-2

Good to seen Green as a vocal leader. He probably won't get much of a role this season behind Barnes, Richardson at SF and Lee, Landry at PF, but if he competes in practice and improves I could see him developing into a nice backup for when Richardson leaves in a couple years.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:01 am
Heh, seems it is hard for people to remember that we don't have J-Rich on our roster, but Richard Jefferson we do. :)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:48 am
I also think Green will be the backup SF once RJ leaves, so he'll have to show the FO that he's worthy. He may have the skills to be the backup and a rather cheap one as well.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:22 am
I saw a couple of the Warriors' Summer League Games. I liked all of our 3 rookies, but Draymond looked.. far from athletic. I think he showed great feeling for the game (passing, shooting, hustle, basket IQ in generel) but seemed to lack athleticism i. My question is whether he can contribute now (or in a couple of years) with those tools that he certainly has and find his own niche (i know, quite a kliché)? And is he a SF or a PF? I don't know where to put him. He seems too slow to play SF, I guess. But again, I haven't seen him enough. I thought some of you had.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:43 am
Definitely not a star, but a good prospect for a third string SF off the bench. Green may not have the quickness or elevation type athleticism, but he's strong as a bull. I liken him to a Rodney Rogers or Anthony Mason type guy; big, strong tough guy who has a surprising amount of vision and handles.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball