Intriguing Free Agents 2012

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:26 pm
Read that about Brandon Roy, but I also read that maybe just a good friend (Myers) doing another friend a favor... I would certainly take a long look at Roy, but if a guy hangs it up at 26 because his knees are completely void of cartilage, he probably wont be very effective.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:10 am
Yea, Roy must be gone and close to worthless, especially with us, looking to build a core and become a contender. I'd much rather keep Nate, Rush and McGuire, with Jenkins still here, and go with that rotation at guard and SF. If we could get Mayo, in some sort of sign and trade, like trading DWright for him, I'd do that as Mayo has shown he can be the 6th man while also being good enough to start at SG if needed.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:46 am
JREED wrote:Read that about Brandon Roy, but I also read that maybe just a good friend (Myers) doing another friend a favor... I would certainly take a long look at Roy, but if a guy hangs it up at 26 because his knees are completely void of cartilage, he probably wont be very effective.

Depends on how effective you need him to be.

Zo led the league in BP40 en route to a Miami Heat title in 06. He played less than 20 MPG most nights due to his kidney condition. If we needed Roy to be the old 25, 5, and 5 fantasy stud, there's no point in looking at him cause clearly that won't happen. But if he can provide 15-20 minutes of quality, NBA minutes off the bench, plus a spot start every now and again, who knows what his output can be for us.

I love the idea of Roy playing in Golden State.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:39 am
32 wrote:
JREED wrote:Read that about Brandon Roy, but I also read that maybe just a good friend (Myers) doing another friend a favor... I would certainly take a long look at Roy, but if a guy hangs it up at 26 because his knees are completely void of cartilage, he probably wont be very effective.

Depends on how effective you need him to be.

Zo led the league in BP40 en route to a Miami Heat title in 06. He played less than 20 MPG most nights due to his kidney condition. If we needed Roy to be the old 25, 5, and 5 fantasy stud, there's no point in looking at him cause clearly that won't happen. But if he can provide 15-20 minutes of quality, NBA minutes off the bench, plus a spot start every now and again, who knows what his output can be for us.

I love the idea of Roy playing in Golden State.

Agreed, but I share Migya's apprehension and think some of these younger guys, that still have cartilage in their knees, maybe a better use of a roster spot. If it came down to us either deciding between Roy versus Rush or Nate I'd flat out say no. I could live with us dropping McGuire or Jenkins to gamble on the busted knees of a former all-star who is still only 27.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:35 pm
Andre Miller is officially off the board.

I remain hopeful of the low-risk, high-reward potential in a Roy signing. But now there are additional rumblings that the Warriors covet Jordan Hill. That's an odd choice, seeing as he did a lotta nada prior to arriving in LA. And the bright lights of Los Angeles tend to exaggerate when valuing their own resources. I'm not incredibly impressed with Hill, but I admit he's a better backup 4 than Lou Amundson was. But would he help like Ronny Turiaf or Epke Udoh did? That, I seriously doubt. Still, he's got better PF size than Draymond Green or Dominic McGuire, so the deal makes sense in that regard.

What does everybody think? Take a flyer on Jordan Hill?
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:37 pm
During an interview after they presented the rookies today, Myers said something about them not being able to or willing to use the full MLE. The only way Roy comes to us is if he takes vet minimum which is very unlikely. I think our roster is pretty much set with an exception to McGuire. The teams has not said anything about whether or not they're bring back McGuire.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:37 pm
we also let go of chris wright
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:41 pm
Looking at Scott Machado's last season in college stats, that guy did real well. Scored twenty a game at very close to 50FG%, while shooting well from three point range and dishing out almost ten assists a game. He seems like someone to try to add and see what he has. He could well actually get picked up undrafted and become a good backup PG for quite a number a years if he does it well.

Also, Drew Gordon went undrafted and he has measurements similar to Green. Interesting to see if he gets picked up.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:10 pm
I'd like to pick up Machado, but it doesn't sound like we're one of the teams that has been courting him. Also I'm starting to feel like we're okay at PG going into the season. I only want another PG as a contingency in case Curry gets another injury, but we could just as easily pick up someone during the season, if need be... Jenkins is a sufficient backup PG as long as Curry is healthy. So instead of going after another backup PG, I'd like to pick up Hill or Hickson, and if we could get a Trade Exemption and/or future 2nd round pick for Wright as well, I'd be very happy with this offseason. Not that I'd complain if we did pick up Machado, mind you...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:38 am
If DWright was traded for a future 2nd rounder, that'd open up just over four million and with that the team could not only get Hickson for no more than three or four million, but then another PG could be picked up, be it a rookie or veteran like Hinrich, for no more than 2.5-3 million. That'd complete the team enough I think and every position would be well filled.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:46 pm
http://www.csnbayarea.com/basketball-golden-state-warriors/warriors-talk/Updated-list-of-free-agents-for-Warriors?blockID=735018&feedID=5986

Updated: Free agents for Warriors to consider

Warriors general manager Bob Myers said on Monday that the team is unlikely to use all of its mid-level exception -- worth about $5 million.

Instead, it seems the Warriors are more likely to spend $1 million here, or $2 million there on a player – or maybe $3 million or so at one guy. More than that and it gets a little tricky with the luxury tax. With that information in mind, here’s an updated list of some players the Warriors will be looking at:

GUARDS

Conventional wisdom is that the Warriors need more insurance for Stephen Curry, who is coming off injury, and Klay Thompson, entering his second season, than just Charles Jenkins. Ideally, the Warriors would be able to sign a veteran with some size and who can defend. But under current constraints Andre Miller (said to have agreed to re-sign in Denver), Jason Kidd, Kirk Hinrich, Jeremy Lin, Raymond Felton are all out of the picture.

It remains to be seen about Brandon Roy, who will meet with the Warriors for the second time later this week.

Shannon Brown: He can get a little too wound up at the offensive end at times, but Brown would be an athleticism upgrade and toughness upgrade on the perimeter.

Randy Foye: Once upon a time, some thought Foye could be a big-time point guard. He never turned into that. But if you look at him as a third guard, he’s more likeable.

Royal Ivey: Has gotten lost in the shuffle in Oklahoma City, but has size and can defend.

Ronnie Price: He’s not much of an offensive player, but is that really what the Warriors need? He’s not the greatest of decision-makers, but he’d bring the Warriors a toughness in their backcourt that they lack.

Nate Robinson: Yes, it’s possible, though not likely he could return to the Warriors. The reality is the Warriors would like to add size to their backcourt, and Robinson doesn’t fit that description. But he contributed in stretches last season, and coach Mark Jackson seemed to form a bond with him.

Sasha Vujacic: Before you say “NO WAY,” listen up. Vujacic, who played in Turkey last season, is 6-foot-7 and able to play both guard positions. And, yes, he’s annoying as hell on defense. That’s the point. The fact he can make a 3-point shot here and there is gravy.

SMALL FORWARDS

It’s tough to see the Warriors going in this direction. Right now they’ve got plenty of players who can play that position: Harrison Barnes, Dorell Wright, Richard Jefferson and Draymond Green. The Warriors also have made it clear they want to re-sign Brandon Rush, who can play this spot. And we haven’t even mentioned Dominic McGuire, though we will in a minute.

FRONTCOURT

In an ideal world, Andrew Bogut and David Lee are healthy, and Festus Ezeli turns out to be better than anyone expected. And while we’re at it, Andris Biedrins has an unforeseen comeback and Jeremy Tyler trends toward Karl Malone.

It’s always nice to hope, but the Warriors can’t go into the season expecting that to happen. They’d like to add another player of size, and someone with at least a few years under his belt. Remember, Myers has talked about adding veterans, but it hasn’t happened yet.

Lou Amundson: He didn’t make much of an impact the first time around with Golden State, and the Warriors seem to have gotten the better of the Brandon Rush deal, but Amundson is a good guy and known commodity.

J.J. Hickson: There are reports that have Hickson coming to the Warriors. Not so fast. Yes, he fits the Warriors’ financial parameters, but things haven’t nearly progressed that far.

Jordan Hill: If Hill can build off of last season, he might be onto something. And that’s the problem for the Warriors. If one other GM thinks like that, Hill is likely out of the Warriors’ price range.

Robin Lopez: He’s a restricted free agent, so it wouldn’t be easy to get him. But he’d be another big body to add to the frontline, and he does have toughness.

Ian Mahinmi: He’s quietly been improving every year, but the Warriors might be looking for someone a little more versatile. The same thing can be said for Lopez, above. The Warriors already seem to have three true centers on their roster: Andrew Bogut, Festus Ezeli and Andris Biedrins.

Dominic McGuire: The Warriors didn’t extend a qualifying offer to McGuire, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they don’t want him back. But if someone offers him a contract on the high side, the Warriors will likely have to watch him walk away.

Nazr Mohammed: He’s also a true center, but if you’re looking for solid, veteran leadership and a player young guys will look up to, Mohammed is your man.

Ronny Turiaf: There’s sentiment out there to bring back Turiaf, who just completed a championship season with the Heat. But the Warriors need someone a little more reliable than Turiaf.

Shelden Williams: He makes a lot of sense. Affordable, professional and a solid veteran. He’s also part of Myers’ old stable of clients under Arn Tellem.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I don't get it. Rush is really a SG and since there are more than enough SFs right now, should be the backup SG to Klay. Unless the FO think the likes of Hinrich, Felton and any other PG can do better than Nate, Nate should be kept as long as he takes three million or less, probably no more than 2 million really with the fact that he'd be sharing backup PG time with Jenkins. Nate drives the ball and creates well, which are valuable to the team right now.

Don't understand why McGuire isn't being offered a contract for two to three million himself. He plays the defense and at certain times in games, quite a fe times actually, that is exactly what the team needs and he does well and does it with heart and effort. Big mistake looking for someone else to play the SF or even the PF, which McGuire and can defend well also.

It'd be good to get another PF backup, be it Hickson or whoever, but again, for no more than three million a year and keep the length to no mroe than three years, preferably two, as you don't know how that new player is going to perform here.

Resigning Nate and McGuire, while adding a free agent PF would keep the team from the luxury tax, quite far off it in fact and everything would be covered about three players deep with no more to add.

Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:25 pm
I would happy with bringing Nate and Dom back as well as signing Hickson as long as they are affordable. Add Rush to that mix and I think we are pretty deep up and down the roster for the most part.

I'll also take Vujacic if it means getting Sharapova here for a game or two.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:20 am
hobbes wrote:I would happy with bringing Nate and Dom back as well as signing Hickson as long as they are affordable. Add Rush to that mix and I think we are pretty deep up and down the roster for the most part.

My thoughts exactly(except for Vujasic). Plus unload Jefferson, AB and Dorrel.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:26 pm
8th ave wrote:we also let go of chris wright

Dear god, NOOOOOO!!!!

Who will fluff the towels and ladle up the Gatorade now??
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:37 pm
TRON wrote:
hobbes wrote:I would happy with bringing Nate and Dom back as well as signing Hickson as long as they are affordable. Add Rush to that mix and I think we are pretty deep up and down the roster for the most part.

My thoughts exactly(except for Vujasic). Plus unload Jefferson, AB and Dorrel.

:mrgreen:

While AB's still here, maybe some lativian hotties can grace the stands.

PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball