Warriors Radar

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:51 pm
Honestly, it's good news for the Warriors if big markets rise. We are heading to SF. And we are currently the fourth largest market in the league.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:28 pm
migya wrote:
BayAreaHoopz wrote:I really don't get the whole love affair that Dwight Howard has with the Nets. Even though they'll be playing in Brooklyn, its still not the Knicks and I think the Nets market will not grow by much. Nets fans are among the worst in the league. The Warriors started a bunch of rookies and d-leaguers and still ended up 10th in the league in attendance while the Nets sucked it up with Deron Williams and ended up 30th in the league. I don't think a team like that steals Knicks fans away from the Garden. So why Brooklyn? Because of Jay-Z? DWill isn't going to wait to see and he's exploring his options with the Mavericks. Hometown? Dwight is from Atlanta so why doesn't he want to play for the Hawks, who have been a playoff team for the past couple of seasons?
If Howard goes to Brooklyn without having DWill there, they're still going to be a 30 win team.

If anything, his desire to only play for one team will drive down his value. Who is willing to give up key pieces of their team for a small percentage chance of him re-signing? I hope its not the Warriors. I like Bogut more than I like Howard at this point. What I wouldn't mind doing is a Dorell Wright for Chris Duhon trade. This gives the Warriors a great back up point guard that can start if Curry gets hurt. The only problem is, as it stands, Duhon is the Magic only point guard on the roster.

This whole thing looks like a setup to me.

I think Deron, Dwight and the Nets FO higher ups organised this over a year ago. They got Deron, then had this whole "Dwight could be good and go to the Nets" ting. Then the f'ing around by Dwight of the Orlando FO for not making a trade for him or just to show the whole nba that he is really not a star player to have with the bad attitude he is showing, which makes him a real detriment to any team environment. Then making sure he stayed the last year of his contract, allowing the Nets to sign Deron long term and even trade for another good player in Joe Johnson. The next move is to be trade to the Nets for a package involving a resigned to a high salary BLopez and players like Humphries and fillers, maybe a future 1st rounder.

That's what it seems to me and what I think will happen. I expect Dwight to be traded for a package of players like I said above, that makes salaries work. The Orlando FO will have no choice but to trade him to the Nets otherwise they lose him for nothing.

The nba looks like becoming like the Europe soccer leagues with a few powerhouse teams that get all the talent and the other teams which play second fiddle to them as such. I think it could end up being Lakers, Dallas, Miami, New York and Brooklyn as the powerhouse teams in the nba. Their owners are among the richest if not the richest and the markets are the largest. The area around New York and Broolyn is so big that it can support two teams and that rivalry would add more interest. Looks like heading in that direction.

I can see that scenario happening. But I think there will be a number of teams who won't care about the extension, and the Magic may be able to get a better deal from them than what the Nets can offer.

Yep the NBA definitely needs more parity in it or it gets kinda boring having the same teams there over and over. I think I read somewhere that in the last 30 yrs or so, NBA has had the fewest amount of champions by a long shot out of all the major sports. Wasn't the new CBA supposed to bring more parity to the NBA? I don't know enough about it to know if it does or doesn't.

Glad the GSW FO is not stupid enough to make a Bogut for DH trade with no extension. I woulda done it when the franchise was going nowhere with Monta and no real center, but W's have too many things going for them right now to take a risk like that. A trade of Bogut for DH w/no extension could've realistically resulted in them having no center after next season and back at square 1. As volatile a player DH is becoming, no guarantee at all he'd resign so hek no I'd reject that trade. Let's not forget Bogut is a top5 center and the best center this team has had in what 30 yrs? To mortgage that for a 1 yr rental would be lunacy.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:44 am
rockyBeli wrote:
migya wrote:
BayAreaHoopz wrote:I really don't get the whole love affair that Dwight Howard has with the Nets. Even though they'll be playing in Brooklyn, its still not the Knicks and I think the Nets market will not grow by much. Nets fans are among the worst in the league. The Warriors started a bunch of rookies and d-leaguers and still ended up 10th in the league in attendance while the Nets sucked it up with Deron Williams and ended up 30th in the league. I don't think a team like that steals Knicks fans away from the Garden. So why Brooklyn? Because of Jay-Z? DWill isn't going to wait to see and he's exploring his options with the Mavericks. Hometown? Dwight is from Atlanta so why doesn't he want to play for the Hawks, who have been a playoff team for the past couple of seasons?
If Howard goes to Brooklyn without having DWill there, they're still going to be a 30 win team.

If anything, his desire to only play for one team will drive down his value. Who is willing to give up key pieces of their team for a small percentage chance of him re-signing? I hope its not the Warriors. I like Bogut more than I like Howard at this point. What I wouldn't mind doing is a Dorell Wright for Chris Duhon trade. This gives the Warriors a great back up point guard that can start if Curry gets hurt. The only problem is, as it stands, Duhon is the Magic only point guard on the roster.

This whole thing looks like a setup to me.

I think Deron, Dwight and the Nets FO higher ups organised this over a year ago. They got Deron, then had this whole "Dwight could be good and go to the Nets" ting. Then the f'ing around by Dwight of the Orlando FO for not making a trade for him or just to show the whole nba that he is really not a star player to have with the bad attitude he is showing, which makes him a real detriment to any team environment. Then making sure he stayed the last year of his contract, allowing the Nets to sign Deron long term and even trade for another good player in Joe Johnson. The next move is to be trade to the Nets for a package involving a resigned to a high salary BLopez and players like Humphries and fillers, maybe a future 1st rounder.

That's what it seems to me and what I think will happen. I expect Dwight to be traded for a package of players like I said above, that makes salaries work. The Orlando FO will have no choice but to trade him to the Nets otherwise they lose him for nothing.

The nba looks like becoming like the Europe soccer leagues with a few powerhouse teams that get all the talent and the other teams which play second fiddle to them as such. I think it could end up being Lakers, Dallas, Miami, New York and Brooklyn as the powerhouse teams in the nba. Their owners are among the richest if not the richest and the markets are the largest. The area around New York and Broolyn is so big that it can support two teams and that rivalry would add more interest. Looks like heading in that direction.

I can see that scenario happening. But I think there will be a number of teams who won't care about the extension, and the Magic may be able to get a better deal from them than what the Nets can offer.

Yep the NBA definitely needs more parity in it or it gets kinda boring having the same teams there over and over. I think I read somewhere that in the last 30 yrs or so, NBA has had the fewest amount of champions by a long shot out of all the major sports. Wasn't the new CBA supposed to bring more parity to the NBA? I don't know enough about it to know if it does or doesn't.

Glad the GSW FO is not stupid enough to make a Bogut for DH trade with no extension. I woulda done it when the franchise was going nowhere with Monta and no real center, but W's have too many things going for them right now to take a risk like that. A trade of Bogut for DH w/no extension could've realistically resulted in them having no center after next season and back at square 1. As volatile a player DH is becoming, no guarantee at all he'd resign so hek no I'd reject that trade. Let's not forget Bogut is a top5 center and the best center this team has had in what 30 yrs? To mortgage that for a 1 yr rental would be lunacy.

Absolutely right about even thinking about going for Dwight with no resigning. I do think some other team might entice the Magic FO more and hopefully that will happen. Nothing like stuffing monopoly things like that up. Then the Nets couldn't just trade for Dwight, at least not this offseason and it'd complicate things more.

It is true that the nba has only had a few different teams win the championships over many years, but that's not really due to the system in place right now, as the draft and salary cap, for example, do well to even things up when it comes to talented players and where they sign. Much harder to agglomerate stars together, unless they take massive pay cuts, which most won't so easily.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:03 pm
@WojYahooNBA: Free agent Brandon Roy met with Golden State Warriors officials on Sunday in the Bay Area, league sources tell Y! Sports.
Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:24 pm
Unfortunately, Howard doesn't have any say on where he gets traded. He can express his desire to be traded to the Nets, but the Orlando FO can pretty much ignore and trade him to a team who offers the best package. Whether its for young players and a big expiring contract. There is a team that is willing to deal for Howard without the security of him re-signing. Could be a team looking to get rid of a big contract. A package of Brooks, Lopez and 3 first round picks isn't that bad though but why give into Howard's demands? If he isn't traded to the Nets, then there is no chance he could sign with them next year with Joe Johnson's $18M contract, Gerald Wallace's $10M contract and whatever big contract they give to Williams.

Which ever teams gets Howard, will have tons of bargaining power or they'll get $18M in cap space for a pretty nice free agent market. 3 unprotected first round picks could be valuable in itself, but throw in a Brook Lopez and Marshon Brooks, that would be nice for a team like the Lakers, even if they had to give up Bynum or Gasol. Kobe isn't getting any younger and 3 first round picks could help them start a rebuilding process.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:28 pm
I don't want Roy, he will just get in the way of players like Klay and Rush getting minutes.

Dwight saying that he only wants to play for one team puts the Orlando FO in a very tough position, where most teams now will back off trading with them for Dwight knowing that he'll just leave after one season. In saying that, the Lakers should start having serious talks with Dwight and his agent as well as the Orlando FO, because if Dwight agrees to resign and go to Lakers, a trade of Bynum and PGasol for Dwight and RAnderson looks even and both teams basically lose nothing.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/warriors/2012/07/03/dominic-mcguire-wants-to-stay-a-warrior-but-may-end-up-the-odd-man-out/

Dominic McGuire Wants to Stay a Warrior, But May End Up the Odd Man Out
By Marcus Thompson
Tuesday, July 3rd, 2012

No doubt Dominic McGuire wants to stay with Golden State.

Aside from publicly saying as much, he is regularly at the practice facility, working out with other Warriors. He is buying a house in the Bay Area, making this his home base. And according to a source with knowledge of his situation, McGuire — though an unrestricted free agent — has informed the Warriors he will give them the chance match any offer before he signs it.

Certainly, many Warriors fans want McGuire back after falling in love with his toughness, defense and versatility. But McGuire’s camp is well aware his days with Golden State may be over, a casualty of a numbers game.

The Warriors have two small forwards under contract (Richard Jefferson and Dorell Wright). They just drafted another small forward, North Carolina sophomore Harrison Barnes, with the No. 7 overall pick. On top of that, the Warriors have made their top priority of the offseason re-signing swingman Brandon Rush, a restricted free agent who was often Mark Jackson’s favorite small forward last season.

That’s four players at one position. Adding McGuire back into the fold, it seems, would require moving one of those four.

What’s more, the Warriors have visions of McGuire playing power forward in a small lineup. He would serve as point-forward to take advantage of the shooting prowess of starting guards Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson. But rookie Draymond Green, who the Warriors drafted No. 35, is supposed to be able to do some of that. Then there is the issue of money.

Warriors general manager Bob Myers said Golden State has about $4 million left before reaching the dreaded luxury tax territory. But the Warriors have other pressing needs, such as frontline help and a veteran back-up guard.

Can they fill those two holes and still have money leftover for McGuire without paying the luxury tax? It would probably take a trade. That’s the one way the Warriors can relieve the clog at small forward, fill one of their needs and possibly cut a little money off the cap.

The Warriors really want Rush and they just drafted Barnes, so Jefferson or Wright would be the obvious ones to go. But Jefferson’s contract (two years, $21.2 million left) would be tough to move. That leaves Wright, who has one year left for $4.1 million, as the most logical player to move.

If Golden State moved Wright for a back-up point guard, especially one that makes $3 million or less, that would help McGuire’s cause. Of course, if Rush gets a huge offer elsewhere and the Warriors decide not to match, that also opens a door for McGuire.

Either way, it looks as if some things need to be shuffled around to make room for McGuire, both on the roster and on the books. That’s going to take some time.

Meanwhile, several teams are interested in McGuire, according to the source. None more than Minnesota, which wants to pair McGuire with Nicolas Batum — Portland’s restricted free agent who the Timberwolves signed to an offer sheet.

Fortunately for the Warriors, McGuire’s camp knows his market won’t be set until after the big names land. So he is prepared to wait, which works in Golden State’s favor.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I had read luxury tax was from 70 million onwards. I don't see how the team is anywhere near that. They're at about 62 million as far as I can see so resigning McGuire for 2-3 million and adding a backup PF for 3 million would not put the team into luxury tax. Really think McGuire is more versatile and adds in areas of need for the team more than DWright. The FO really should be looking to meve him for nothing, like a 2nd rounder, as soon as they can. That'd free up 4 million and McGuire can be signed easily, as well as another PF and resigning Nate or letting him go and getting another veteran backup PG.

McGuire should be a must to keep and it will be valuable to keep him not so uch for next season, but next offseason the team will push hard to trade RJ and/or AB and then a stable player like McGuire is a need.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:09 am
Brandon Roy. I wonder if he can make a cane jump dunk. Nothing to do with him. I am also happy that our team doesn't have an {i am the center of the universe} kind of guy saying {i don't give a **** about the fans and about you who are paying me a **** load of money i want to play with my friend and have fun} or an {i am the king} kind of ass-hole saying { Let me think where i will take my talents, hmm, i found it, i will gather around with 2 other egoists who don't like losing so that we can win big time}. All our players seams to be good guys that can really bond and make a team united like a punch. And those are the teams i like. Because i have a message to all superstar lovers. This is a team sport. Superstars help, but one player can't win 5. 3 superstars in Miami and they think they achieved something by winning a tittle. When based on they're words and talent on paper this should be their 3rd.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Rookie
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:58 pm
I'm really going to be disappointed if we let McGuire go.. His defensive ability is unmatched on our roster at his position. I'd much rather see Richard Jefferson or Dorrel Wright go. Hopefully we can workout some type of trade involving one of the two for a backup veteran PG. It will be a shame to see McGuire go
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:37 pm
Warriors and Bobcats are interested in Jamison. ESPN insider says he'll make a decision soon.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:37 am
I don't want anything to do with Jamison, even if he took the vet minimum. He'd just get in the way of the young bigs.

Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:58 am
Agreed, I would rather have McGuire who can play good defense. The last thing we need is another soft player who can score but plays no D. Not sure why Jamison really wants to come here or why we have any interest in him.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:00 pm
I think it's just because we need a veteran presence..plus I think he wants a chance "to win a championship" so not sure why he'd want to come here either..or the Bobcats for that matter.
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:50 am
yeh could do without Jamison. A soft player is not the vet presence we need. I remember a few years back contending teams were clamoring to trade for him when he was on the Wizards. He went to the Mavs and had Zero impact. Going through the list here http://www.nba.com/freeagents/2012/ .... for backup PF, what are your thoughts on going after Carl Landry, Kenyon Martin, or newly cut Elton Brand?
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:07 pm
Nothing is going on. Not a rumour not a whisper. This means that we have reached a dead end and can't do a single deal or something big is coming? I for one would hope to make some big moves. Opposite to most of you when it comes to dealing someone from the starting five my mind goes immediately to our worst defenders Lee and Curry. In my dreams we trade Curry and AB for Rondo and then Lee and Dorrel for Josh Smith. We then exchange Jefferson's bad contract for another bad contract( a combo guard or a PF). Finally use the mid level exception to sign the other one ( if we take a PF for Jefferson then a combo guard and vice versa). I have the right to dream don't i?

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:22 pm
Yeah, we're kind of at a stand still since we would have to trade Wright and maybe another player with a somewhat large salary still do to him...and nobody wants our players unless it has to do with the starting 5...some deal will have to be made maybe in regards to future picks (and Wright) but I don't see that happening until maybe before the trade deadline during the regular season when players have a had a chance to prove themselves.
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball