Warriors Radar

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:42 am
Chris_Broussard Chris Broussard
source says Golden State still willing to trade for Dwight Howard without having commitment from him beyond next season
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:09 am
Dear god... #-o
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:44 am
Don't think this FO would be that stupid.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:54 am
He used to be one of my favorite players. The dude is a cancer, and if we traded for him he would just hold our franchise hostage for a year and then leave as a FA. We got Bogut, no need to risk destroying everything for this guy.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:28 am
The only way I could see this as a positive would be if they were trading Beans and Wright for Howard. Throw in a couple of picks and ok, i'll take him for a year as a backup to Bogut.
You also have to remember that he is coming off back surgery, so no way would I give up any of my starting 5 for him to play half a season. But if he is coming off the bench in the last half, and in the playoffs... I can see that as being a positive. But there has to be another team out there willing to give more then that.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:52 am
I really don't get the whole love affair that Dwight Howard has with the Nets. Even though they'll be playing in Brooklyn, its still not the Knicks and I think the Nets market will not grow by much. Nets fans are among the worst in the league. The Warriors started a bunch of rookies and d-leaguers and still ended up 10th in the league in attendance while the Nets sucked it up with Deron Williams and ended up 30th in the league. I don't think a team like that steals Knicks fans away from the Garden. So why Brooklyn? Because of Jay-Z? DWill isn't going to wait to see and he's exploring his options with the Mavericks. Hometown? Dwight is from Atlanta so why doesn't he want to play for the Hawks, who have been a playoff team for the past couple of seasons?
If Howard goes to Brooklyn without having DWill there, they're still going to be a 30 win team.

If anything, his desire to only play for one team will drive down his value. Who is willing to give up key pieces of their team for a small percentage chance of him re-signing? I hope its not the Warriors. I like Bogut more than I like Howard at this point. What I wouldn't mind doing is a Dorell Wright for Chris Duhon trade. This gives the Warriors a great back up point guard that can start if Curry gets hurt. The only problem is, as it stands, Duhon is the Magic only point guard on the roster.
Last edited by BayAreaHoopz on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:08 am
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:The only way I could see this as a positive would be if they were trading Beans and Wright for Howard. Throw in a couple of picks and ok, i'll take him for a year as a backup to Bogut.
You also have to remember that he is coming off back surgery, so no way would I give up any of my starting 5 for him to play half a season. But if he is coming off the bench in the last half, and in the playoffs... I can see that as being a positive. But there has to be another team out there willing to give more then that.

Howard playing behind Bogut, you say? :scratch:
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:47 pm
32 wrote:
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:The only way I could see this as a positive would be if they were trading Beans and Wright for Howard. Throw in a couple of picks and ok, i'll take him for a year as a backup to Bogut.

You must have missed my sarcasm... I don't care if he didn't play at all if we traded Beans and Jeferson (or Dorel), that clears some cap space for us and he "could" play backup Center while his back is recovering. It wouldn't be like it mattered how much he complains, because we know he would be gone the next season. Just no way do we trade any of the starting 5 for a hurt cry-baby center who is gone next year.

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:28 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:
32 wrote:

You must have missed my sarcasm... I don't care if he didn't play at all if we traded Beans and Jeferson (or Dorel), that clears some cap space for us and he "could" play backup Center while his back is recovering. It wouldn't be like it mattered how much he complains, because we know he would be gone the next season. Just no way do we trade any of the starting 5 for a hurt cry-baby center who is gone next year.

8-[ Ah, yes. Sorry, I must be a step slow today haha. #-o :wink:

Regarding the theme of the thread (which has morphed into the Warriors' willingness to roll the dice on Howard), is there really anybody that can claim that Dwight Howard isn't one of the few, unlimitedly talented individuals in this league that you bet the farm on if given the chance? He's the best center by far, the best defensive player in a landslide, sadistically determined, genetically awe-inspiring, with a combination of size, power, and vertical that NOBODY in the league has displayed possibly ever. And he will continue to play at that level for a minimum of 5 more years. Barring injury or freak accidents occuring, Howard is an instant-ticket to the Eastern Conference Finals every year for the Orlando Magic. How many players can say that they mean THAT much to a team? Cause, according to this year's bracket, Kobe and Chris Paul can't. So that leaves you with who? LeBron, Durant, Derek Rose, and Dwight Howard? And you guys are claiming you wouldn't give up Andrew Bogut for him? (leave the extension out of this discussion, because Howard will re-sign if he buys into the roster and the front office)

I'm not saying lets go haphazardly mortgage every desirable asset we have for a one-year rental player, but if you can surround Dwight Howard with David Lee and Stephen Curry, that's officially the best team he's ever played for (regardless of however else you fill in the cracks). We surrender Bogut, along with Klay Thompson, Harrison Barnes, a future 1st, and Andris Biedrins. We get a return deposit of Dwight Howard and, say, Big Baby Davis. The lineup becomes:

PG: Steph Curry / Charles Jenkins
SG: Brandon Rush / Dorell Wright
SF: Richard Jefferson / Dominic McGuire
PF: David Lee / Glen Davis
C: Dwight Howard / Festus Ezeli

You guys are telling me Howard won't resign to play with Curry and Lee? You're saying you doubt we'd be able to find a veteran wing player who will take the MLE to be the 4th gun on that squad? A guy like, say, Ray Allen?

Come on, gentlemen. I'm beyond stoked at the current state of this roster. But Dwight Howard? He's one of 5 guys in this entire league you bet the farm on. If Orlando wants Bogut along with either Curry or Lee, kabosh the deal. But if we can get Dwight Howard for Andrew Bogut and prospects, than I'm sorry. You pull the trigger. The difference between Bogut and Andris Biedrins will be abundant, obvious, and great next year. The difference between Bogut and Howard is an equally impressive leap. We're talking about the only 20, 12, and 3 guy in the league.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:39 pm
Problem is his attitude will disrupt the roster. He will be hurt the first half of the season, so we wouldn't even make the playoffs, and then he will leave after that to sign somewhere else. Even if he doesn't sign with Atlanta, he is likely to leave out of spite. Sign with ATL, Dal, or whoever can afford him. Best scenario would we would do a sign and trade with his desired choice. I don't feel like redoing our roster this year, then next year again, is going to get us anywhere.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:05 pm
Honestly, if the Nets do the trade for Joe Johnson then the only team who he wanted to go to can't get him. If that is the case then we have a chance at resigning him. I definitely would not hold it against the front office if we did trade for him. If we did Bogut for Dwight then we'd be an instant third seed at least. However, I would keep this team together right now given the chances he won't re-sign with us likely.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:18 pm
I just read that the Warriors are not interested for Howard unless he agrees on signing with the team an extension.
That sure was a relief. By the way, isn't Howard the most annoying prick in the NBA right now?

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:50 pm
Imagine what Packers fans felt like after every year when Favre was contemplating retirement. Or what James did to Cleveland.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:05 pm
TRON wrote:I just read that the Warriors are not interested for Howard unless he agrees on signing with the team an extension.
That sure was a relief. By the way, isn't Howard the most annoying prick in the NBA right now?

This is great news.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:38 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:I really don't get the whole love affair that Dwight Howard has with the Nets. Even though they'll be playing in Brooklyn, its still not the Knicks and I think the Nets market will not grow by much. Nets fans are among the worst in the league. The Warriors started a bunch of rookies and d-leaguers and still ended up 10th in the league in attendance while the Nets sucked it up with Deron Williams and ended up 30th in the league. I don't think a team like that steals Knicks fans away from the Garden. So why Brooklyn? Because of Jay-Z? DWill isn't going to wait to see and he's exploring his options with the Mavericks. Hometown? Dwight is from Atlanta so why doesn't he want to play for the Hawks, who have been a playoff team for the past couple of seasons?
If Howard goes to Brooklyn without having DWill there, they're still going to be a 30 win team.

If anything, his desire to only play for one team will drive down his value. Who is willing to give up key pieces of their team for a small percentage chance of him re-signing? I hope its not the Warriors. I like Bogut more than I like Howard at this point. What I wouldn't mind doing is a Dorell Wright for Chris Duhon trade. This gives the Warriors a great back up point guard that can start if Curry gets hurt. The only problem is, as it stands, Duhon is the Magic only point guard on the roster.

This whole thing looks like a setup to me.

I think Deron, Dwight and the Nets FO higher ups organised this over a year ago. They got Deron, then had this whole "Dwight could be good and go to the Nets" ting. Then the f'ing around by Dwight of the Orlando FO for not making a trade for him or just to show the whole nba that he is really not a star player to have with the bad attitude he is showing, which makes him a real detriment to any team environment. Then making sure he stayed the last year of his contract, allowing the Nets to sign Deron long term and even trade for another good player in Joe Johnson. The next move is to be trade to the Nets for a package involving a resigned to a high salary BLopez and players like Humphries and fillers, maybe a future 1st rounder.

That's what it seems to me and what I think will happen. I expect Dwight to be traded for a package of players like I said above, that makes salaries work. The Orlando FO will have no choice but to trade him to the Nets otherwise they lose him for nothing.

The nba looks like becoming like the Europe soccer leagues with a few powerhouse teams that get all the talent and the other teams which play second fiddle to them as such. I think it could end up being Lakers, Dallas, Miami, New York and Brooklyn as the powerhouse teams in the nba. Their owners are among the richest if not the richest and the markets are the largest. The area around New York and Broolyn is so big that it can support two teams and that rivalry would add more interest. Looks like heading in that direction.

migya make the ring fall on ya
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball