Welcome, HARRISON BARNES!!!!!

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:31 pm
Barnes is even now a far better defender than them...and like I said, better athlete...he will be a slasher taht we need. His mid range jumper...which is so much like MJ's (just my opinion) is just a bonus.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:33 pm
He didn't slash throughout his college career. I don't expect him to do it in the pros.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:36 pm
I do...he will have good coaches, and all of the scouts said that he has athleticism and strength to do that. Just needs to work a bit on his footwork.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:36 pm
guybrush.. You are so wrong off the mark with your analysis. (or least i believe so)

nbadraft.net sscout report indicates his a shooter and that Barnes weakness is creating his own shot on driving to the rim.

8th Ave hit nail on the head.. WOW Another shooter.

points win basketball games but this Barnes guy sounds like another 6 foot 8 SF tweener. (didnt we trade Vince Carter for this guy?)

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:37 pm
yeah, i am with 8th ave and pawno on this... going to be furious if Drummond (a defensive center with potential to be great offensively) ends up being a star.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:39 pm
I just told you guys what analysts said about him. I never read that he is just "a shooter'. Just a shooter wouldn't lead his team in points.

And I'm positive nobody ever said about him that he's a tweener...guy's a pure SF.

But ok, you don't like him, and that's fine with me.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:41 pm
8 teams passed on Drummond...it's not like the Warriors were the only ones who didn't find him worthy of a high pick.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:42 pm
I'm going to assume that when you say athleticism, that you're talking about how he measures in terms on vertical leap, wingspan, height, etc., but if you want any of his highlight videos he doesn't use much of it. When I think of athleticism I think someone's ability to finish at the rim. I think about speed too. I don't think he possesses either of those attributes.

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:43 pm
Drummond would have gotten 19 minutes of run behind two workhorse vets here. We need a backup big, but we didn't want to waste our pick when we could easily address our biggest concern; starting small forward. Yes, I know you draft for talent and not need but Drummond is far from a sure thing and Barnes is definitely an upgrade from anything we have at the SF slot. A big, talented center is of course the sexiest sell, but sometimes a team needs a solid starter who is a much more solid bet. I love this move. It keeps McGuire on the bench and solidifies Jefferson and Wright as bench depth or salary filler in a trade. The future is now:

PG: Steph Curry / Charles Jenkins
SG: Klay Thompson / Brandon Rush
SF: Harrison Barnes / Dominic McGuire
PF: David Lee / Jeremy Tyler
C: Andrew Bogut / Andris Biedrins

And we still have 3 picks to roll the dice on a backup bug. C'mon now, this is as well as we could have hoped for.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:44 pm
If Barnes was off the board, I would've been happy with Drummond. But with Barnes available, I did not want to WAIT on the CHANCE Drummond figures things out. Too long to wait for him to be worth the pick.
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:46 pm
Drommonds coach was quoted in saying it will take him 5 years to develop, I don't have that type of Patience, plus the guy shoot 29% from the line.

I wouldn't have minded the guy but Barnes was a much better choice, as far as options go.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:47 pm
You guys are no-selling this guy's athleticism, but maybe you don't like players with strength and only recognize guys who run and jump? Barnes is a tremendous athlete in terms of build, and if he improves his footwork he'll look a whole lot better in terms of quickness.
Last edited by 32 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:48 pm
8th ave wrote:I'm going to assume that when you say athleticism, that you're talking about how he measures in terms on vertical leap, wingspan, height, etc., but if you want any of his highlight videos he doesn't use much of it. When I think of athleticism I think someone's ability to finish at the rim. I think about speed too. I don't think he possesses either of those attributes.

Yeah, that's what I thought. You need that to be able to finish at the rim...and speed is counted in that as well.

You guys seem to forget that these are kids still, some of them are still teenagers, they will be trained. I'm just being positive and seeing as how Harrison Barnes has all of the tools to be a slasher, that he will become that with a good work and learning from our coaches. You can't teach size and Barnes has that, and has leap...he is able to do those things, we don't know why he didn't do it at North Caroline, but I'm positive that he is more than capable of doing it.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:52 pm
I don't think anyone's upset with the pick. Personally I'm not excited about it, but I'm going to be patient and see how it pans out, much like what I did with Thompson. A lot of people think we needed upgrading at the 3 spot, but if you look at it, that's the only position on our team that is kind of set. It's far from great, but we have two adequate players at that position, and to me, adding a 3rd player who is similar to the players that we already have at that position doesn't make much sense to me. But hey, I might be wrong. He might get better. He might improve his slashing ability. Maybe he becomes an excellent shooter. Maybe he's a lockdown defender which I've seen a little of. Hopefully he becomes a better pro than a college player. Like I said I'll wait and see.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:53 pm
And, Mr. Crackerz, would you be so unhappy if we draft Ezeli with our second first round pick, or we trade up?

He will do as much as Drummond would, and we wouldn't be able to find as good talent as Barnes is later on.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball