Warriors Radar

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:56 pm
I'm just wondering who you guys think should be on the Warriors radar for the draft, offseason, and during the season ?
(if this is a redundant thread plz merge)

Kinda like a brainstorm or total collection of players that can be semi-realistically acquired.
What Positions, Prospects, Free Agents, Trades, Needs, Player Types, etc. should they target and go after with full force?
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:26 pm
I'll start it off, something like..

TARGETS:

Positions / Needs:

Starting SF:

Draft = MKG, Harrison Barnes
Trade = Iggy, Deng
FA = G. Wallace

Backup PG:

Skills Needed

- Athleticism
- Dribble penetration
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:28 pm
I realise that our bench PF is probably not big priority but I'd love to see a hard nosed veteran big man on the roster that can come on and play tough defence and rebound(like a Horace Grant, PJ Brown or Kurt Thomas type players). I can't think of any current players at the moment that fit that role(or are available) but someone like that would be a great influence on our young guys and they would show the opposition teams that we won't be pushed around.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:51 pm
SF first need, then backup big, as both current ones are not good, being Tyler and AB. The #30, if kept, should be able to get some sort of backup big.

migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:49 pm
barnes gilchrist
iggy deng or gerald wallace
reggie evans darko milicic darrel arthur
veteran backup pg
resign rush and mcguire

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:34 pm
With the importance of the SF position, we forget the need for a back-up 4/5, a player that can play both position would be great.

I was eyeing JJ Hickson but there was a ruling which favors Portland keeping him and sign him without affecting, Hello Kwame ? I'd have to do more research on who is available.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:58 am
warriorsstepup wrote:With the importance of the SF position, we forget the need for a back-up 4/5, a player that can play both position would be great.

I was eyeing JJ Hickson but there was a ruling which favors Portland keeping him and sign him without affecting, Hello Kwame ? I'd have to do more research on who is available.

Right eo . Whoda thunk the Kwame would be in demand. so with the obvious positions of SF and backup big man in mind, it's still really unpredictable as to who GSW will draft I'm thinking. I hear elsewhere they are going after best player available - even if it's a PG like Liliard. Does that mean they're giving up on Jenkins? I keep flip flopping but thinking maybe Sullinger would be the best pick to make for filling the requirements for BPA / need / and ready to contribute now. Who knows. I'm hoping they trade the pick to some sucker team with a retard GM.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:04 am
rockyBeli wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:With the importance of the SF position, we forget the need for a back-up 4/5, a player that can play both position would be great.

Right eo . Whoda thunk the Kwame would be in demand. so with the obvious positions of SF and backup big man in mind, it's still really unpredictable as to who GSW will draft I'm thinking. I hear elsewhere they are going after best player available - even if it's a PG like Liliard. Does that mean they're giving up on Jenkins? I keep flip flopping but thinking maybe Sullinger would be the best pick to make for filling the requirements for BPA / need / and ready to contribute now. Who knows. I'm hoping they trade the pick to some sucker team with a retard GM.

As far as Kwame goes it all depends on the market for him, one thing is certain though he will not be making anything close to 7 million. With that said, Marcus Camby, Kenyon Martin are both old, yes, but also un-restricted free agents who can spell time for bogut.

I am now warming up to Myers Leonard, I wouldn't be mad if he was selected as the BPA, although I have not followed him through out the college season. Watched some hightlights with him, saw that he shot well for a 7'0, so there is potential for some sort of skill plus he is 7'0. But i fret because the track record of warriors drafting a big is beyond horrendous.

At this point in time we just have to trust scouting, they have followed players close enough to know their strengths and weaknesses.

As far as the draft I keep flip floping daily as well, after the top 6, the remaining players are all toss ups.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:55 am
The Golden State Warriors are trying to upgrade the small forward position and rumored targets include Andre Iguodala [Sixers], Luol Deng [Bulls] and Danny Granger [Pacers].

Gery Woelfel of The Journal Times reports the Milwaukee Bucks would like to move up from their No. 12 position in the first round and he wonders if Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, a prince in his village of Bia Messe, Cameroon, might interest the Warriors.

Woelfel writes: "On the surface, he could perhaps be the best fit of all for the Warriors. If you examine the composition of the Warriors' starting lineup, they have an arsenal of scorers. What they truly need is a prime-time defender on the wing and there are few better than Mbah a Moute. The Bucks may be reluctant to deal Mbah a Moute, yet where does he really fit into the Bucks' plans?"

Mbah a Moute had his Denver offer sheet matched by Milwaukee and he can't be traded without his conset until mid-December. He has three years and about $13.76 million remaining on his contract, which is a lot less than Iguadala, Deng and Granger.

According to Woelfel, some around the NBA think the Bucks would have interest in UConn center Andre Drummond and UNC forward John Henson should they move up.

Can't elaborate on how I feel about this cuz I gotta drive my mama to the dentist, but I think this would be a great fit too. Mbah is a great defensive talent and would be an upgrade at the 3 over Wright and RJ. Hopefully they take RJ or AB's contract in addition to the No.7. I'd do it.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:01 am
The confirmation of the team's targets being Deng and Mbah a Moute is extremely comforting. Golden State is targeting a wing defender, first and foremost. And both can rebound. Not as sexy as big names like Iggy or Gay, but seemingly for half the price. I'm all about those two, especially if they'll only cost our pick and a stack of garbage to acquire.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:48 pm
Pass on Luc, especially for a draft pick even if beans or RJ is going, he is an effort player, and that's that, reminds me a bit of Toliver without the consistent jumper. I followed him at UCLA, since that is my favorite college, while he has improved, he is definitely a PF, not a SF in my eyes. Def not what we need at the wing position.

But I mean if we somehow dump, Beans contract, and we switch 7th for the 12th, this would be an option, like a 3rd fourth option seeing what other offers the warriors receive.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:19 pm
I figure, since a good amount of our posters don't have league pass, it might be useful for some if I posted my scouring reports on the Warriors main 3 trade targets thus far. For those who have seen these guys regularly, this may be a bit of review. But for those who haven't, hopefully this cheat sheet helps you decide what you think the Dubs need most (note: I never mention ANYTHING about money in my scouting reports. You wouldn't scout a dude's paycheck on the blacktop, it has no bearings on what a guy contributes between the lines):

SF - 9 - Luol Deng

Strengths (+) - Premiere perimeter defender, pestering length and regenerative hustle that never seems to slow down. Shuts out passing lanes with a lightening fast 7 foot wingspan; quick hands, moves his feet, supremely coordinated and athletic, closes out on shooters like a well oiled machine. Excels in both zone and man settings. Plus rebounder for his position and assignment; moreso on the defensive end. Runs the floor and periodically acts as the team's playmaker. Streaky scorer who beats up on slower 3's. Handles are above average for 6'9", but best used when kept in check. Capable of being a consistent, but unspectacular 5 category threat in points, rebounds, steals, blocks, and assists. A top 15 player at his position when healthy.

Weaknesses (-) -  Not a leader; intensity is contagious but aside from that, stays within his role. Not a consistent offensive player; percentages are less than impressive. Is at his best when he works his offense from the inside out, but insists on being seen as a shooter. Overused midrange jumper that becomes a crutch when he feels like being lazy. Aggressiveness on offense is a head-scratcher; goes from putting up star statlines to pedestrian numbers for seemingly no reason. Has all the tools to be a top 5 small forward, but figures out a way to stop himself from truly dominating.

Offensive game... 3/5
Defensive game... 4.5/5
Intangibles............ 3.5/5
Skill.......................... 3/5
Effort...................... 4/5

Overall = 72

SF - 9 - Andre Iguodala

Strengths (+) - Among the most well-rounded basketball players in the pro game today. A prototypical small forward; can competently run the offense as well (if not better) than most point guards, automatic corner three-point shooter, sturdy body that can't be beaten physically by anything but the game's most genetically gifted athletes, and a smash-mouth defensive rebounder. Iguodala is a deadly combination of fast and strong, making him an ideal fast-break player. He is equally dangerous as an initiator, distributor, or finisher. A triple-double threat at all times, Iggy's greatest contributions might be on the defensive end of the floor, where he absorbs the responsibility of shutting down the opposing star player nightly for nearly 40 minutes a game. Andre Iguodala is a super-charger than makes the engine of any team he plays on indisputably better.

Weaknesses (-) - Average overall shooter. Doesn't take many shots, but is still constantly marred in the mid 40's for a floor percentage, low 30's from deep, and low 70's from the line. Doesn't seem to think he's a #1 option; passes off a lot and resorts to long jumpers instead of driving; where he constantly finishes or gets fouled (see 'Corey Maggette'). Aggressiveness has dropped off even further as of late; deferring to teammates and appearing intimidated by speedy defenders. Doesn't show a post game at all; operates exclusively out of the face-up position and falls into long dry spells when defenders back off him and dare him to shoot. Too good to be as offensively inconsistent as he is. 

Offensive game... 4/5
Defensive game... 4.5/5
Skill.......................... 4/5
Effort...................... 3.5/5

Overall = 78

C - 22 - Rudy Gay

Strengths (+) - Franchise level scoring swingman; unstoppably versatile, thrives in big moments, hits the cup from anywhere in the front court. A couple shades outside of scoring champ status, Gay is still a tremendous gun on any team. He is a guy that can be fed the rock when his team needs a bucket; effective dribble-drive skills, can work out of the face-up or back-to-the-basket position, moves without the ball, can score on a catch-and-shoot curl or a stand-alone spot-up. Gay is a 6'8" flyer that can provide highlight guys with their fix of throw-downs, be it an acrobatic gather on the break or a one-handed spike in traffic. Memphis employs a pet lob for Gay on the baseline out of timeouts or when the defense falls asleep. Gay is also a sporadically suffocating defender and an average-to-decent rebounder.

Weaknesses (-) - Gay's defensive game is entirely selective; he is a constant dice roll and depending on the opponent you may see him: get up for a big assignment, overlook mediocre opponents and get torched, give up and be a big star's punching bag for the night, snap out of a funk and suddenly look like a stopper in the 4th quarter, hungrily feast on a lesser opponent, or flat out disappear and be a defensive pedestrian. His defensive inconsistency is by far his most frustrating flaw, but he can also overshoot in a slump, not to mention he's a B-flat scorer (as far as percentages) and launches the ball like he's an A+. Gay becomes more of a black eye when his shot isn't falling, but on a regular basis, it's likely the only chirp he'll get will be fans wishing he'd bring the same passion on defense that he shows on offense. 

Offensive game... 4.5/5
Defensive game... 3.5/5
Intangibles............ 4/5
Effort...................... 4.5/5

Overall = 82
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:43 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:
rockyBeli wrote:

As far as Kwame goes it all depends on the market for him, one thing is certain though he will not be making anything close to 7 million. With that said, Marcus Camby, Kenyon Martin are both old, yes, but also un-restricted free agents who can spell time for bogut.

I am now warming up to Myers Leonard, I wouldn't be mad if he was selected as the BPA, although I have not followed him through out the college season. Watched some hightlights with him, saw that he shot well for a 7'0, so there is potential for some sort of skill plus he is 7'0. But i fret because the track record of warriors drafting a big is beyond horrendous.

At this point in time we just have to trust scouting, they have followed players close enough to know their strengths and weaknesses.

As far as the draft I keep flip floping daily as well, after the top 6, the remaining players are all toss ups.

Camby or KMart would be perfect as backup PF/C. I'd pay the MLE for one of them to be honest. Either one would contribute well, but perhaps the biggest thing is mentoring to Tyler, as if he improves he could be a permanent backup big for a few years and only one more longterm backup big would be needed.

Heck, for me the best scenario this offseason would be to draft Leonard or get him by drafting Drummond (if he was there ofcourse) and then trade him for Leonard and someone else that could be used, then trade DWright and the #30 for a resigned GWallace and then sign either KMart or Camby. That'd cover the starting SF and backup big(s) nicely.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:45 pm
8th ave wrote:
The Golden State Warriors are trying to upgrade the small forward position and rumored targets include Andre Iguodala [Sixers], Luol Deng [Bulls] and Danny Granger [Pacers].

Gery Woelfel of The Journal Times reports the Milwaukee Bucks would like to move up from their No. 12 position in the first round and he wonders if Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, a prince in his village of Bia Messe, Cameroon, might interest the Warriors.

Woelfel writes: "On the surface, he could perhaps be the best fit of all for the Warriors. If you examine the composition of the Warriors' starting lineup, they have an arsenal of scorers. What they truly need is a prime-time defender on the wing and there are few better than Mbah a Moute. The Bucks may be reluctant to deal Mbah a Moute, yet where does he really fit into the Bucks' plans?"

Mbah a Moute had his Denver offer sheet matched by Milwaukee and he can't be traded without his conset until mid-December. He has three years and about $13.76 million remaining on his contract, which is a lot less than Iguadala, Deng and Granger.

According to Woelfel, some around the NBA think the Bucks would have interest in UConn center Andre Drummond and UNC forward John Henson should they move up.

Can't elaborate on how I feel about this cuz I gotta drive my mama to the dentist, but I think this would be a great fit too. Mbah is a great defensive talent and would be an upgrade at the 3 over Wright and RJ. Hopefully they take RJ or AB's contract in addition to the No.7. I'd do it.

McGuire plays the defense, all over the place in fact. No reason to do that trade. The #7 can be much, much better used.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:32 pm
32 wrote:I figure, since a good amount of our posters don't have league pass, it might be useful for some if I posted my scouring reports on the Warriors main 3 trade targets thus far. For those who have seen these guys regularly, this may be a bit of review. But for those who haven't, hopefully this cheat sheet helps you decide what you think the Dubs need most (note: I never mention ANYTHING about money in my scouting reports. You wouldn't scout a dude's paycheck on the blacktop, it has no bearings on what a guy contributes between the lines):

SF - 9 - Luol Deng

Strengths (+) - Premiere perimeter defender, pestering length and regenerative hustle that never seems to slow down. Shuts out passing lanes with a lightening fast 7 foot wingspan; quick hands, moves his feet, supremely coordinated and athletic, closes out on shooters like a well oiled machine. Excels in both zone and man settings. Plus rebounder for his position and assignment; moreso on the defensive end. Runs the floor and periodically acts as the team's playmaker. Streaky scorer who beats up on slower 3's. Handles are above average for 6'9", but best used when kept in check. Capable of being a consistent, but unspectacular 5 category threat in points, rebounds, steals, blocks, and assists. A top 15 player at his position when healthy.

Weaknesses (-) -  Not a leader; intensity is contagious but aside from that, stays within his role. Not a consistent offensive player; percentages are less than impressive. Is at his best when he works his offense from the inside out, but insists on being seen as a shooter. Overused midrange jumper that becomes a crutch when he feels like being lazy. Aggressiveness on offense is a head-scratcher; goes from putting up star statlines to pedestrian numbers for seemingly no reason. Has all the tools to be a top 5 small forward, but figures out a way to stop himself from truly dominating.

Offensive game... 3/5
Defensive game... 4.5/5
Skill.......................... 3/5
Effort...................... 4/5

Overall = 72

SF - 9 - Andre Iguodala

Strengths (+) - Among the most well-rounded basketball players in the pro game today. A prototypical small forward; can competently run the offense as well (if not better) than most point guards, automatic corner three-point shooter, sturdy body that can't be beaten physically by anything but the game's most genetically gifted athletes, and a smash-mouth defensive rebounder. Iguodala is a deadly combination of fast and strong, making him an ideal fast-break player. He is equally dangerous as an initiator, distributor, or finisher. A triple-double threat at all times, Iggy's greatest contributions might be on the defensive end of the floor, where he absorbs the responsibility of shutting down the opposing star player nightly for nearly 40 minutes a game. Andre Iguodala is a super-charger than makes the engine of any team he plays on indisputably better.

Weaknesses (-) - Average overall shooter. Doesn't take many shots, but is still constantly marred in the mid 40's for a floor percentage, low 30's from deep, and low 70's from the line. Doesn't seem to think he's a #1 option; passes off a lot and resorts to long jumpers instead of driving; where he constantly finishes or gets fouled (see 'Corey Maggette'). Aggressiveness has dropped off even further as of late; deferring to teammates and appearing intimidated by speedy defenders. Doesn't show a post game at all; operates exclusively out of the face-up position and falls into long dry spells when defenders back off him and dare him to shoot. Too good to be as offensively inconsistent as he is. 

Offensive game... 4/5
Defensive game... 4.5/5
Effort...................... 3.5/5

Overall = 78

C - 22 - Rudy Gay

Strengths (+) - Franchise level scoring swingman; unstoppably versatile, thrives in big moments, hits the cup from anywhere in the front court. A couple shades outside of scoring champ status, Gay is still a tremendous gun on any team. He is a guy that can be fed the rock when his team needs a bucket; effective dribble-drive skills, can work out of the face-up or back-to-the-basket position, moves without the ball, can score on a catch-and-shoot curl or a stand-alone spot-up. Gay is a 6'8" flyer that can provide highlight guys with their fix of throw-downs, be it an acrobatic gather on the break or a one-handed spike in traffic. Memphis employs a pet lob for Gay on the baseline out of timeouts or when the defense falls asleep. Gay is also a sporadically suffocating defender and an average-to-decent rebounder.

Weaknesses (-) - Gay's defensive game is entirely selective; he is a constant dice roll and depending on the opponent you may see him: get up for a big assignment, overlook mediocre opponents and get torched, give up and be a big star's punching bag for the night, snap out of a funk and suddenly look like a stopper in the 4th quarter, hungrily feast on a lesser opponent, or flat out disappear and be a defensive pedestrian. His defensive inconsistency is by far his most frustrating flaw, but he can also overshoot in a slump, not to mention he's a B-flat scorer (as far as percentages) and launches the ball like he's an A+. Gay becomes more of a black eye when his shot isn't falling, but on a regular basis, it's likely the only chirp he'll get will be fans wishing he'd bring the same passion on defense that he shows on offense. 

Offensive game... 4.5/5
Defensive game... 3.5/5
Intangibles............ 4/5
Effort...................... 4.5/5

Overall = 82

Excellent right up, if the warriors land any of the above mentioned would make our starting 5 legit.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball