Lottery/7th pick/tank schedule

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:54 am
BayAreaHoopz, your pick in the mock draft.

Getting a big and keep him is definately feasible and the second biggest need right now. If Drummond is there, we take him and nothing wrong with keeping him, giving us a huge trio big rotation. Leonard also is very feasible and fast becoming my preference if none of the top six fall to us at #7. You get size with skill, always an asset for years.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:14 am
Maybe you guys do have players that you would like our FO tries to get before Deng, but that trade is too damn good to pass on it, just because you prefer Iggy, or Gay, more than Deng. We move Dorell, who's not a bad player, but has regressed a bit for some reason, and replace him with a player that can shoot (which is the only thing Dorell offers), and also plays great D, and can get to the rim, which is our biggest need. He is athletic enough as well. That alone is good, and on top of that, we finally get to move Biderins. That's huge.

Okay, we do lose our 7th pick, and it's hard to hope that we can get someone as good with that pick we would get from Chicago, as the player we would get at 7th spot, but still, it's worth a risk, cause we improved our weakest position, and still have two picks in the first round...one can be a hit, easily.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:24 am
That is a very good trade and if it is real, probably pull the trigger now and be happy. I would rather do it just after the draft if we could, but if not, do it now. Deng is a very good SF and would make the starting five complete. The #29 and #30 could well be used to get to about #20 or so and that could get the team a good backup big. If not, both late 1st rounders should be used for backup bigs.

Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:22 am
@timkawakami: RT @WojYahooNBA The Bulls have privately assured Luol Deng that there's "no chance" of deal sending him to Warriors, league source tells Y!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:17 am
hobbes wrote:@timkawakami: RT @WojYahooNBA The Bulls have privately assured Luol Deng that there's "no chance" of deal sending him to Warriors, league source tells Y!

According to Monta, Richardson, and others, that's the kiss of death.

A private reassurance has never meant a hill of beans in this league.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:46 pm
32 wrote:
hobbes wrote:@timkawakami: RT @WojYahooNBA The Bulls have privately assured Luol Deng that there's "no chance" of deal sending him to Warriors, league source tells Y!

According to Monta, Richardson, and others, that's the kiss of death.

A private reassurance has never meant a hill of beans in this league.

Too right

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:31 pm
That is basically just an insurance policy if the deal does not go through
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:34 am
Kawakami chimes in this morning.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2 ... d-lillard/
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:46 am
hobbes wrote:Kawakami chimes in this morning.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2 ... d-lillard/

Tim's doing his typical routine of suggesting a player 4 times before acknowledging that there's no deal in place; a subtle ploy that embeds the name of a certain someone into the immediate recall of Warrior lore and thus creates the demand for him. In my hood, we call that "making shiit up".

The Warriors haven't motioned toward Kyle Lowry at all, but Tim K's been touting a Lowry trade since he was drafted by Memphis. If the Warriors turn the 7 pick into the 16 and Kyle Lowry, after all these dick teasing suggestions of Deng, Iggy, Granger, and Gay... I will personally chuck a pipe bomb into Tim's Hundai outside of the Merc's parking lot.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:16 am
http://www.ibabuzz.com/warriors/2012/06 ... -trade-up/
It seems warriors don't have enough assets to entice other teams to trade with Warriors. They don't think D Wright is enough and they are not going to add klay thompson to the package.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:54 pm
Does seem like the FO has a bit of a problem in not being able to get a trade for the #7, but as always, people get excited as the day gets closer and I think there will be quite a few options on draft day. I really do think Iguodala will be available for no more than the #7 and RJ or AB and the team will probably go ahead and give then DWright as well as a salary dump sweetner.

Either way, no matter what happens, I'm very glad we got the #7. Nothing but good comes out of that.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:03 am
Another real good option is to trade whoever we pick on draft day to the team that picks Zeller and get him and another player, maybe a future 1st rounder. Zeller has enough offensive ability to play PF maybe and after seeing a fair amount of footag of him lately, he seems a bit like Pau Gasol. Especially if it's Drummond that falls to us, I think trading him for Zeller or Leonard and another player or future 1st rounder is probably the safest and best way to go. That is, if we can't trade the #7 for a very good starting SF.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:41 am
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2012/06/27/warriors-lively-draft-room-signs-pointing-away-from-drummond-and-towards-waiters/

Warriors’ lively draft room: Signs pointing away from Drummond and towards Waiters
posted by Tim Kawakami on June 27th, 2012 at 8:20 pm

On and off the air for tonight’s Comcast show, Bob Myers and Jerry West told each other and told everybody nearby that they’re loving the energy of the Warriors’ draft room right now.

It’s lively. There’s strong, good and continuous debate. That seems beyond question.

Everybody has an opinion–I would imagine from Joe Lacob to Myers to West to Kirk Lacob to Travis Schlenk and maybe to the scouts and the coaches.

I asked West: Is there any kind of consensus forming in there?

West said that, through the discussions, the Warriors have pretty much settled on “two or three” players that they’d take if they get to the GSW’s 7th slot.

And West suggested that if those players are all gone, the Warriors have the option to trade down to recoup multiple players.

West also said that at 7, the Warriors need a player who can help immediately, that they can’t wait around for a couple years for somebody to develop. And he said that first and foremost, the team needs and will add toughness in this draft.

That isn’t too difficult to decipher, because it all points away from UConn big man Andre Drummond, who 1) isn’t ready to help right now and 2) certainly isn’t considered one of the tough, passionate guys in this draft.

Lacob might and probably will urge the draft room to give Drummond one more look if he’s there at 7, but I expect the Warriors to either pass on him or take him and then trade him.

I don’t expect them to have Drummond on their roster in October, is what I’m saying.

So who are the two or three guys West is referencing? I believe North Carolina’s Harrison Barnes, Syracuse’s Dion Waiters are two of them, and maybe the third is Weber State’s Damian Lillard or, as Marcus Thompson II suggested earlier today, Duke’s Austin Rivers.

But Lillard and Rivers are both straight-up point guards, and I don’t know how much the Warriors want to go back down the road of wondering what this all means for Stephen Curry’s future–which would be a duplicate of the drafting of Curry and the immediate wondering about Monta Ellis’ future.

And the “toughness” remark really sounds like a description of Waiters, a combo guard who I’ve heard is getting raves from opponent coaches and players during this process.

In fact, I was told that when asked about Waiters and Drummond, players and coaches who competed against both say Waiters is easily the superior talent and player.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Interesting. Unless it's a SF the player drafted won't be an immediate contributor as such, but a 6th man type.

If Drummond's there they should draft him and trade him. In fact, they should be looking for trade deals right now for Drummond in case he is there at #7. I wouldn't keep Drummond, but he should command high trade value. Surely the Sixers, who are devoid of good bigs, would be interested in him and I think the team could maybe get more than just Iguodala for him, though that's probably a bit wishful thinking, but prying a future 1st rounder for them as well would be nice.

Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball