Lottery/7th pick/tank schedule

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:51 am
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:I see a couple of options:
1) Trade up to get a higher pick... maybe Sac.
2) Trade to a team that has a proven SF:
a - G. Wallace sign and Trade. NJ doesn't have a lottery pick, and if they lose Deron, they might try to rebuild.
b - Andre Igudala, what would sixers want? They might be ready to turn to Turner as the starting SF, and get some youth, if they can't see this team compeating for a championship. Would definately need to throw in some more assests for them to take this though.
c - Nicholas Batum, this would be an excellent pickup if we could entice Portland. They may see their team as rebuilding and go for it if they think Batum is going to be too expensive in the RFA. That would mean warriors would need to match.
d - Rudy Gay. With his gigantic contract, I don't see this happening.

3) Trade down. This isn't a bad idea, trade down and pickup another pick next year. Turing one pick into 2. There are some good players in the middle of the 1st round that are appealing, like Myers Leonard, or Terence Jones.

For me, I would like to see them get Batum, Wallace or AI, but if that can't be done, trading down is not a bad idea.

Love all those ideas, though I can't see Sacramento or Portland coveting the 7th pick enough to swap assess for it.

The sign-and-trade with Brooklyn for Gerald Wallace is a winner. Get Hov on the phone!
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:13 pm
For me, GWallace is the best pick, but for no more than 8 million a year and for no more than three years. Reason, because he is already over thirty years old and so likely to start doing less over the next three years before getting close to retirement, so no more money offered than that. His age is really an issue in the longterm, but so is Lee's, who is about to turn thirty and really only has four or five years at his current level one would think.

Iguodala is the more expensive, yet more longterm option, but as I've said before, quite expensive and really worth three million less a year.

Harrison Barnes is not that bad, but if the team wants to really be a great one, he is not good enough. The FO would show it's worth as a real championship caliber one if they made a deal to get a very good SF and add one good backup big. Jerry West's opinion really should be sought after right now.

migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:30 am
migya wrote:The FO really should be able to make the team an instant playoff one and even a top 5 West team with the #7 pick and any improvements this offseason.

OK, you have me very intrigued. Who do you see as the top 4 teams that will be better than us, and who are the other teams that will make the playoffs?

Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:43 am
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:NBA doesn't own Hornets anymore... they already sold to the owner of NO Saints.

Nothing is official. The paperwork had not been signed.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:49 am
WarriorsBluesRocker wrote:
migya wrote:The FO really should be able to make the team an instant playoff one and even a top 5 West team with the #7 pick and any improvements this offseason.

OK, you have me very intrigued. Who do you see as the top 4 teams that will be better than us, and who are the other teams that will make the playoffs?

For me, the top 4 teams next season in the West will be San Antonio, OKC, Lakers and Memphis. The other teams I think will make the playoffs in the West are Golden State, Dallas, Clippers (all depending if CP stays there ofcourse) and Denver.

I think Utah will not be as good as us and not make the playoffs. Nothing is a sure thing ofcourse, but health permitting, I think the Warriors are definately a top 8 team in the West and thus a playoff team. The team is definately not a top 4 one, not as they are right now, but if they got Iguodala, for example, the team would be knocking on the door to me. It is all about how the team blend together and the team is the one that is coming off the biggest change with having Bogut, so they are the biggest IF team in the West.

Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:25 am
migya wrote:

For me, the top 4 teams next season in the West will be San Antonio, OKC, Lakers and Memphis. The other teams I think will make the playoffs in the West are Golden State, Dallas, Clippers (all depending if CP stays there ofcourse) and Denver.

I think Utah will not be as good as us and not make the playoffs. Nothing is a sure thing ofcourse, but health permitting, I think the Warriors are definately a top 8 team in the West and thus a playoff team. The team is definately not a top 4 one, not as they are right now, but if they got Iguodala, for example, the team would be knocking on the door to me. It is all about how the team blend together and the team is the one that is coming off the biggest change with having Bogut, so they are the biggest IF team in the West.

I am thinking very similar to you but I thinkbthe Clippers will have an even better year next year. I can easily see the Lakers slipping.

Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:26 am
migya wrote:

I am thinking very similar to you but I thinkbthe Clippers will have an even better year next year. I can easily see the Lakers slipping.

Houston is a sleeper. They have a lot if cap space and they want to be a playoff team. I think they will have some big moves this offseason.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:30 pm
migya wrote:

Houston is a sleeper. They have a lot if cap space and they want to be a playoff team. I think they will have some big moves this offseason.

Houston still has some holes to fill, but any team in the West, with the exception of maybe two or three, can make the playoffs. The warriors have everything to improve and really, it will only take one injury to a main player, that keeps him out for at least a month, to take them out of the playoffs I think. You look at the roster though and now with Bogut, the defense and rebounding improves and that makes a huge difference. As I said, an injury (like to Bogut) ruins everything, but the team is much improved. The big IF is adding a very good SF and if that happens, the team has to make the playoffs.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:00 pm
Really is concerning having the #7 and likely not having any of the projected top 7 players falling to us. If the FO wants to keep a lottery pick, best they try and trade up or trade down to about #10. Sullinger is gone with his back issues and neither of the two top PGs would start for us, so again the team is just outside the fringe of sure things, like they were when O'bryant was picked a few years ago. Maybe the FO needs to e intuitive like the former FOs weren't and look at who really would fit in of the players in the top 10-12. Maybe another SF outside of MKG and
Barnes could be real good.

Actually, rumour has it that the Cavs have promised to take Barnes with the #4, probably why he cancelled his workout with the Kings. Could well be MKG that falls unexpectably, since the Blazers and Kings have SFs already, Barnes or MKG, SFs, may not be any use for them. One of the bigs, like Zeller and Benson, might well be a surprise pick in the top 6.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:13 am
The only way a top 6 player falls to us is IF the rumours are correct and Lillard gets selected by Portland at 6. The most probable scenario will be that we trade the pick for a starter at SF and then use some or all our other picks to climb up to the 12-17 section to draft a useful big like Zeler or Myers. If a pick is left we will use it in a foreign player as a long time project as they say. Then we will focus on a bench SG with good defence.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:16 pm
What the FO should do is draft Lillard and then trade him to Portland, if they don't draft him anyway. Yea, it's bowing down a bit and I think the FO should play hard ball and not give too much at all to get Barnes or MKG, who likely Portland would have picked if not Lillard. Maybe they should actually send the soft message that they'll draft Lillard if he is there, since Curry's ankles are an issue. That is no farfetched scenario, that the FO would go for Lillard, insurance for Curry, anyway, so if Portland really wants him, they'll have to pick him. That would then ensure one of the top six to fall into our hands.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:52 am
Agreed. It would be a good tactic if they feel they can't get a good trade going.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:19 pm
A couple years ago OKC picked Harden #3. He is not a starter and they went to the Finals. Who ever we pick at 7 doesn't have to be a starter. Just the best player available.
It would be nice if it was Barnes or MKG to fill our SF spot. But if it ends up being Lillard, Beal or some other guy, that's ok.

Honestly, wouldn't mind seeing Rush become or Starting SF, and then selecting a guy like Lillard.
Lillard would be good insurance in case Curry doesn't pan out. Kind of hinders Jenkins, but I don't think Jenkins is Starter matterial.
Also, I don't mind drafting someone at 7 that might not be as flashy as of a pickup. Someone like Leonard or Zeller wouldn't be sexy, but would be solid Backups C's.
I think Zeller is under rated. He can shoot and he can run the floor. He is not an althletic feak, but if he puts on some pounds he will be solid.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:53 pm
First of all, the only reasons Harden doesn't start is because there aren't enough shots for him in the starting lineup. If JH went anywhere else and started, his value would be substantially diminished.

Secondly, Portland won't take Lillard with the 6th. They'll roll the dice on getting him at 11... And if they don't, they'll be happy with a consolation prize of Kendall Marshall.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:44 pm
I also think that if none of the top 6 players fall to us, the FO should go for a big, obviously not Sullinger. Zeller or Leonard would be a good choice, as they are Centers who are pretty good. That would fill the backup big need or allow for trading using either one of those draft pick bigs.

I also think Portland likely will be smart and realise that they should pick one of the top 6 ranked players and then do a trade to get Lillard, while getting something else in exchange for who they pick.

PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball