4 Grudges Warriors Fans Need To Let Go Of

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:29 am
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:25 am
Both you guys make good points and I agree with the 'potential' for it to be a good trade.
For me it's

JRich for BW = KG? Great trade
JRich for BW = let that t/e expirer? One of the worst.
Ellis + Harrington for good PF = better option

So Idk if it's hindsight but it's more like the context of the trade. It was a horrible trade because it was the Warriors making it lol. Any other team and the owner / FO actually gets to step 2 of that plan instead of trying to save some cash.
Trading a sure thing for a project big man -- in the context of a franchise too incompetent to get to Step 2 of that plan, and a coach too in love with small ball to develop a project big man - just dumb. The topper is that there were so many other trade options available, and they picked one of the worst. So glad we don't have to deal with Cohan and Co. anymore ha
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13480
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:15 pm
See, you're using the word horrible here.

You really think it was that bad?

You would have let Monta Ellis bolt via free agency because Davis, Harrington, Jackson, and Richardson were all hovering around $10 million per and they weren't gonna let Biedrins get away?

(Perhaps we are forgetting how sick Andris Biedrins looked for four straight years; the man looked like Abdul-Jabbar after years of Dampier and Foyle, averaged around a double-double, and - until Turiaf arrived - was the meanest defender in Golden State's paint BY FAR. He was a lotta people's favorite dude in 2006 and 2007. And, don't forget, the Warriors handled his extension as the #1 order of business - Ellis' deal was made after they already locked up AB.)

Or do you believe that Richardson would have made a bigger difference in the four years following the trade than Monta Ellis and Brandan Wright? Because I think Ellis alone outranked Richardson by far.

Or maybe you believe Richardson could have yielded greater results in a different trade? Well, yeah, that's pretty easy in hindsight. Just about anything else would have beat an expired trade exception and a failed prospect... But that's what the Warriors were looking for. They were interested in extending both Ellis and Biedrins, so their ideal situation involved finding a team with enough cap room to absorb Richardson's contract and enough stupidity to include cheap assets along the way. The #8 pick in the 2007 draft is a tremendous asset. If we had a crystal ball, we could have taken Joakim Noah, Wilson Chandler, or Marc Gasol instead of Brandan Wright. A $10 million dollar chip with a high percentage pick that could pay off like those guys... I dunno how else we could have gotten a better deal. I'd LOVE to find someone willing to take Richard Jefferson's contract and give us another top 10 pick in this draft...
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:29 am
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:29 pm
32 wrote:See, you're using the word horrible here.

You really think it was that bad?


haaarible lol

32 wrote:You would have let Monta Ellis bolt via free agency because Davis, Harrington, Jackson, and Richardson were all hovering around $10 million per and they weren't gonna let Biedrins get away?


Nah I woulda traded Monta or Jrich combined with Harrington for a stud PF. Heck, trade 'em both and move SJax to SG and Barnes to SF. At the very least Harrington and Monta both had more value than some skinny kid + trade exception don't you think? I believe the Nuggets gave Harrington a pretty fat contract, so he wasn't some throw-in. They were coming off playoffs and Monta had hype and potential greater than most draft picks. So that would leave Baron / J Rich / SJax / Trade Acquisition / Biedrins. Coulda taken some of Al's money and given it to Beans. A lot of options they had to mix and match with trades, but it was like they swung at the first pitch and popped it up.



32 wrote:Just about anything else would have beat an expired trade exception and a failed prospect...


This about sums it up. Both were risks when it was the traditionally inept Warriors in control.

32 wrote:A $10 million dollar chip with a high percentage pick that could pay off like those guys... I dunno how else we could have gotten a better deal. I'd LOVE to find someone willing to take Richard Jefferson's contract and give us another top 10 pick in this draft...


JRich was in prime and productive, RJ gettin old.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13480
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:10 pm
What stud PF?

Again, I think you're giving Richardson's trade value a lottttttt more credit than he really had. You're talking like he was a stud when, in actuality, he was declining, damaged goods with an incredulously laughable contract. Getting rid of him was hard enough. Who besides Rod Higgins was gonna give us a trade exception for JRich's ENTIRE deal? If anything, we would have had to deal him for a fellow bad contract.

RJ is practically at the same point in his career as JRich was. Clearly not what he was, yet he's getting the money from the deal he signed when he was productive. Richardson to a T.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:29 am
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:43 pm
If JRich had negative trade value, how'd they get a lottery pick for him. We coulda traded Monta + Harrington + draft pick + filler for someone like Elton Brand, Zach Randolph, or David West. Heck Knicks probably would've done J Rich + Harrington + pick for Zach Randolph at the time. Too much was made of Monta and cap room to resign him instead of seeing what W's could get for him in a trade. Sell high.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13480
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:52 pm
Right, but how much higher can they get than the 8th pick in the draft, straight up, for a guy making $4-9 million more than he should have been?

Again, using hindsight bias, we can make the argument that we weren't going to go anywhere with Biedrins and Ellis... But at the time, that's not what any of us thought. That was our future core. We were scrambling to keep them, along with BD and SJax, together as long as we could. That tandem had just delivered us a playoff birth for the first time in nearly 2 decades.

Harrington and Richardson were our most expendable pieces. We had to try and neutralize Utah's (and, thus, LA, San Antonio, Phoenix, etc)'s advantage on us. Nobody thought after "We Believe" that we should have traded Ellis, Harrington, AND Richardson (half our core) to roll the dice on another project.

I think your objections stem from an ability to look back and call it from a much more informed perspective.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Rookie
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 5:38 am
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:16 am
rockyBeli wrote:#5 -- David Lee contract. 20 and 10 player, Team USA, allstar, lockerroom leader, etc. Still hear about the contract despite having a very good season. there's worse contracts out there by far. Two words: Elton Brand.


(1) BW for J Rich. Still a horrible trade. More so by how things went down. If it were a precursor to a bigger trade -- great trade. But W's let the trade exception expire with nothing to show for it. And don't forget this forced the Warriors into Monta ball for several years... from that point forward the backcourt had to account for Monta being undersized and playing no D. So roster building was forced to either have a Baron Davis big point guard or be undersized in the backcourt. Nice thing about J Rich was he gave everything Monta did and could also hold his position on D. Against the trade then and now... not even cuz I was much of a J Rich fan, but because we could have combined Harrington with Monta OR J rich for a legit PF. Instead we wound up with some raw unproven skinny kid nowhere near ready to contribute. Additionally, trading a proven player like J Rich - who endured the bad years and then gets traded as soon as they made the playoffs -- left a bad taste in everyone's mouth and showed the rest of the team how disloyal the franchise was. Coulda got more for him.


Ditto on the "sweet Jesus that was well said" by Migya. Of course I may be slightly biased about JRich-ha ha! Yeah, trading away the heart and soul of the team...brilliant!
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13480
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:45 pm
WarriorsAlaskaFan wrote:
rockyBeli wrote:#5 -- David Lee contract. 20 and 10 player, Team USA, allstar, lockerroom leader, etc. Still hear about the contract despite having a very good season. there's worse contracts out there by far. Two words: Elton Brand.


(1) BW for J Rich. Still a horrible trade. More so by how things went down. If it were a precursor to a bigger trade -- great trade. But W's let the trade exception expire with nothing to show for it. And don't forget this forced the Warriors into Monta ball for several years... from that point forward the backcourt had to account for Monta being undersized and playing no D. So roster building was forced to either have a Baron Davis big point guard or be undersized in the backcourt. Nice thing about J Rich was he gave everything Monta did and could also hold his position on D. Against the trade then and now... not even cuz I was much of a J Rich fan, but because we could have combined Harrington with Monta OR J rich for a legit PF. Instead we wound up with some raw unproven skinny kid nowhere near ready to contribute. Additionally, trading a proven player like J Rich - who endured the bad years and then gets traded as soon as they made the playoffs -- left a bad taste in everyone's mouth and showed the rest of the team how disloyal the franchise was. Coulda got more for him.


Ditto on the "sweet Jesus that was well said" by Migya. Of course I may be slightly biased about JRich-ha ha! Yeah, trading away the heart and soul of the team...brilliant!

Oh, no argument, the move was going to be unpopular with the fans. Jason Richardson was, if absolutely nothing else, adored without compare in Golden State throughout his time here.

My points were 100% addressing the basketball side of it. A one-dimensional, can't-go-left, non-defending used-to-be-a-flyer, like Richardson, was not capable of bringing a team (any team) to the next level. Brandan Wright, in retrospect, isn't either. But the potential of a 6'10" 19-year old like Wright at the time? It's a clean-cut, 100% business decision and I'd hope they make the same call 100 times out of 100.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:29 am
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:16 pm
Ok I'm kinda rewording / repeating what I said before, but how bout this -- if it's the Spurs making this trade, I'd be for it. But this was Cohan's excuse of a franchise, where the only predictable thing was that he and his hirings would find a way to screw it up. So on it's face it's not a horrible trade, but when looked at in context - considering who was making the deal, I think many could see the unneeded risk and could predict what the after-effects would be. Either way no need to hold onto this 'grudge' cuz it died the minute Cohan sold the team and Lacob cleaned house (for me anyway). But I don't think I could ever be a fan of this trade because I just think they were in win-now mode and that trade did nothing for a win-now club + they had way better options available than to go that route.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13480
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:34 am
I agree with most everything you said, except the last tidbit about having better options.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], uptempo and 3 guests