2012 draft choice

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:32 am
Based to what i read.
1, Both Joneses are better PF than SF. Barnes is just a good shooter. That means the only way to get a starter at SF via draft is MKG. Not likely to happen since Bobcats ask a lot.
2. Sulinger is a good offensive weapon but an underside bad defender, and i don't need that. Plus since i can't have MKG i need to trade that pick to get a veteran SF, and that renders every discussion on who to pick irrelevant.
3. Sources says that the Warriors are trying to make a trade for Gay for pics + Lee + maybe Dorrel. Instantly you can ask yourself why they trade Lee since that creates a hole in PF while fixing one in SF. The only explanation i can give is that they have an other trade probably fixed and ready to be announced when the time comes. Who that trade might involve? My mind went immediately to Josh Smith. If we convinced Atlanta to part with Smith for Jefferson + Pics + i don't know what else ( Rush in a sign and trade comes in mind) without losing any other core player then we might see a lot different, much stronger and competitive team this year on court.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:22 pm
"One player moving up draft boards who has impressed, among others, the Golden State Warriors, is St. John's Moe Harkless. Here's what ESPN's Chad Ford had to say about Harkless' performance this weekend at the NBA Draft Combine.

Harkless also appeared to make the leap this weekend, going from interesting prospect to potential lottery pick. He still has a ways to go as far as making his game translate to the next level, but the raw athletic ability and elite size for his position, combined with an excellent showing both on the court and in interviews seems to have really improved his stock. I've heard his name as high as no. 7 to the Golden State Warriors and no. 8 to the Toronto Raptors.

Ford currently has Harkless going no. 21 to the Celtics in his most recent mock draft and has him ranked no. 20 on his big board, so moving up to the no. 7 spot would be a huge jump. But the Warriors need a starting small forward and at 6-foot-9, 207 pounds, Harkless is the perfect size to fill that role."

I wouldn't mind if they took Harkless, even at #7. I like him more than I like PJ3, Terrence Jones or Harrison Barnes. I also like him more than I like Sullinger. Harkless could be a Paul George type SF. I like it...Lets roll with it.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:22 pm
Cmon... a guy who suddenly rises just from the NBA combine? I don't know much about this guy, but if he was a lat 20's pick last week, he probably will be on this week. If the warriors like him so much, they should trade down and get him in the teens. I am sure he will probably be there.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:27 pm
There's a difference from a guy's value rising and actually reaching. Ike Diogu's value never changed because of his lack of size and athleticism, and even with all the workouts, mocks still had in the in the late 20s and the Warriors drafted him 9th. Most mocks have Harkless in the 20 range but states that he has lottery potential, which was something that was never said about Diogu. Perry Jones has gone from an early lottery pick to being a late first rounder (NBAdraft.net).

Its a big chance, but maybe the could move back to the Rockets 14th and 16th picks for their 7th and 35th and hope he's still there.

14th - Moe Harkless - 6'8 SF St. Johns
16th - Jared Sullinger - 6'9 PF Ohio State
30th - Tony Wroten - 6'5 PG/SG Washington
52nd - Henry Sims - 6'11 C Georgetown

That would be a hell of a draft...

PG Stephen Curry - Charles Jenkins
SG Klay Thompson - Tony Wroten
SF Moe Harkless - Brandon Rush - Dorell Wright
PF David Lee - Jared Sullinger - Jeremy Tyler
C Andrew Bogut - Andris Biedris - Henry Sims
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:16 pm
TRON wrote:Based to what i read.
1, Both Joneses are better PF than SF. Barnes is just a good shooter. That means the only way to get a starter at SF via draft is MKG. Not likely to happen since Bobcats ask a lot.
2. Sulinger is a good offensive weapon but an underside bad defender, and i don't need that. Plus since i can't have MKG i need to trade that pick to get a veteran SF, and that renders every discussion on who to pick irrelevant.
3. Sources says that the Warriors are trying to make a trade for Gay for pics + Lee + maybe Dorrel. Instantly you can ask yourself why they trade Lee since that creates a hole in PF while fixing one in SF. The only explanation i can give is that they have an other trade probably fixed and ready to be announced when the time comes. Who that trade might involve? My mind went immediately to Josh Smith. If we convinced Atlanta to part with Smith for Jefferson + Pics + i don't know what else ( Rush in a sign and trade comes in mind) without losing any other core player then we might see a lot different, much stronger and competitive team this year on court.

That'd be strange to pull that off. Reason is we'd be realtive garbage for JSmith, unless it's the #7, not the #30, and RJ. Lee and #30 for Gay, if getting JSmith was a sure thing or already done, wouldsomewhat masterful, because we'd have filled the SF spot with a very good sF, though an immensely paid one, and upgraded a bit at PF.

Very unlikely it'd turn out like that, making such trades, but hey, it'd be improvement.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:22 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Cmon... a guy who suddenly rises just from the NBA combine? I don't know much about this guy, but if he was a lat 20's pick last week, he probably will be on this week. If the warriors like him so much, they should trade down and get him in the teens. I am sure he will probably be there.

If this guy is that good and has gotten the favour of the team's FO, I'd trade whoever we pick at #7 for Harkless and another player, from the team that draft's him. That's the smartest thing.

I remember when Don Nelson, the imbicile, made the decision to trade Anferee Hardaway and three future 1st rounders, to Orlando for Webber. The Magic FO, I read after the draft, never wanted Webber, as they thought he couldn't coexist with Shaq, and wanted AHardaway all along. Nelson and the FO got shafted and all because they picked a couple of spots later. Time to reverse such a thing for once.

Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:13 am
I would love to get Harkness, but, even though his stock is rising, 7th spot might be a reach. If we could move up with our second pick, to get into teens, and pick him up from there, that would be perfect. And if we managed to save our 7th pick while moving up, then we could grab maybe Sullinger, or Drummond if he falls...or if we decided to trade Klay (along with other pieces) for Gay, Iggy or Granger, we could maybe get Beal. A lots of possibilities if we could get Harkness with our second pick.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:40 pm
Warriors working out Ohio State's Jared Sullinger and North Carolina's John Henson on Thurdsay

can't wait to see what we have to say about him.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:20 pm
After watching the Heat and Thunder this entire playoffs as well as game of the finals yesterday, I'm starting to get concerned about athleticism. If you look at Durant, Westbrook, James, and Wade, you'll notice that these players are wildly athletic. All can get to the rim at will and if you look at our roster we don't have that. We have a hand full of great shooters and now we have low post presence, but we don't have anyone that can take it to the rim and get to the free throw line.

I'm seeing that a lot of people are taking a liking to Barnes and personally I like Sullinger, but neither of those players are athletes either. The thing about upgrading your team's athleticism through the draft is that you have to draft really big question marks i.e. PJIII which scares the **** out me.

This isn't something that we have to worry right now, but it is a concern to me. Hopefully we can address it this off-season.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:49 am
Iguodala is a very good athlete, so is Gay and so is JSmith. It'd be great to trade Lee for JSmith and #7 and RJ or AB for Iguodala, because you get exactly that, athleticism, as well as very good defense and allround play.

Still, a superstar, who are almost always athletes, is a must, as we see with Westbrook, Durant, Lebron and Wade.

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:38 am
Harkness is a smoke screen. They want to move up. If they can't, they want a veteran SF for the pick. If that doesn't happen, they want Barnes to drop. And if he doesn't drop, they'll take Sullinger as insurance for the big positions.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:36 pm
If Drummond falls at 7, and we are unable to trade the pick, do we take the risk and select him? And how long before he gets on the floor, remind you the guy is 6'11, 7'6 reach, 279 with just 7.5 body fat. He also shot 29 % from the free throw line.

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:47 pm
8th ave wrote:After watching the Heat and Thunder this entire playoffs as well as game of the finals yesterday, I'm starting to get concerned about athleticism. If you look at Durant, Westbrook, James, and Wade, you'll notice that these players are wildly athletic. All can get to the rim at will and if you look at our roster we don't have that. We have a hand full of great shooters and now we have low post presence, but we don't have anyone that can take it to the rim and get to the free throw line.

I'm seeing that a lot of people are taking a liking to Barnes and personally I like Sullinger, but neither of those players are athletes either. The thing about upgrading your team's athleticism through the draft is that you have to draft really big question marks i.e. PJIII which scares the **** out me.

This isn't something that we have to worry right now, but it is a concern to me. Hopefully we can address it this off-season.

Warriors definitely need to address athleticism and defense, specially on the wings.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:21 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:If Drummond falls at 7, and we are unable to trade the pick, do we take the risk and select him? And how long before he gets on the floor, remind you the guy is 6'11, 7'6 reach, 279 with just 7.5 body fat. He also shot 29 % from the free throw line.

If Drummond drops to 7, we're taking him. But I guarantee he won't be there. Cleveland wants him.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:13 pm
32 wrote:Harkness is a smoke screen. They want to move up. If they can't, they want a veteran SF for the pick. If that doesn't happen, they want Barnes to drop. And if he doesn't drop, they'll take Sullinger as insurance for the big positions.

Yea, that's the most likely way they'll go and really not the worst one, probably the best one, safer way.

PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball