Importance of a superstar

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:33 pm
I'm a little skeptical, like 8th.

For one, I'm not convinced David Lee is a downgrade from Josh Smith. All the contenders have a rebounding 4 with a midrange J; Lee stacks up better against the likes of Gasol, Garnett, Bosh, Stoudamire, etc. I agree; if potential and style points were all that mattered, JSmoove would be the GOAT. But as it stands, he's a motivational head case that can't shoot his way out of a paper bag. To top it off, Smith gets fantasy gold, but can you name me a game that mattered where he shut down the opposing 4? He's no Garnett, no Ibaka, no Duncan. He doesn't play suffocating on-ball man-to-man defense; he's a wizard on the help side and he's athletic enough to recover even after he's beat, but I'm not convinced Josh Smith is the show-stopping defensive player you're advertising him to be. If he's such a great find, why has Atlanta been testing his trade value for going on 3 years in a row?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:25 pm
I say we go into next season with the roster we have now + our draft picks + Re-signed McGuire with our bi-annual exception and see where we are. We'll most likely (cross your fingers) get into the playoffs and lose in the 1st or 2nd round. We'll assess what we'll need after that happens. None of us know how well our players mesh together. We'll know at the end of next year and things will be more apparent.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:59 pm
migya wrote:
You know what it all is - Taking the opportunity when it is there.

The Celts did it when they got RAllen and then KG that same offseason. Both wanted out of what was their current situations. Lebron and Bosh also wanted out of their pretty awful teams and Pat Riley and the Miami ownership pounced and made the huge two moves.

We now have a few players in the nba that want out of their current situations. Thing is, right now, the Warriors are not quite the ideal, attractive situation for superstars, but that can be changed in the same offseason with moves like I stated.

1. JSmith again has not been offered a contract extension by the Atlanta FO and so is gettable. He probably wants out too, though I haven't read anything, maybe somone on here has. The FO could get him for Lee alone, but if not, add the #30, even one of the 2nd rounders. Could be enough, if it is, we then have JSmith, a very good player on both ends, an upgrade at PF and an allstar many thought this season, carrying his Hawks team again to the playoffs with Horford out almost all season.

2. If Ainge is still looking to shop Rondo, which is possible now that RAllen is almost certain to leave, likely Garnett as well and they'll probably look to blow that team up and transition without hitting rock bottom. Curry and a resigned Rush for Rondo would give the Celts a replacement starting PG and a starting caliber type player at either SG or SF. I'd throw in Jenkins if needed, as he played well the last few weeks of the season as the starting PG. Rondo is an allstar, superstar type level sometimes. Another upgrade.

3. Dwight has shown himself to be a headcase and that is an issue, but he is the best Center in the nba right now and is on his way out of Orlando. Unless he resigned before acquiring him, I don't want him. Resigned for five years at the max if needed, Bogut, Klay and #7, throw in a future 1st rounder if needed would be a good trade for both teams.

Those three moves make the team a contender, not just a playoff team like they are right now with the current roster. You can fill in the other spots much easier, especially when the team is now far more of a better looking situation.

All those would be intriguing if they could be pulled off. Still I'm cool with the Lee Bogut combo. The one that pops out to me would be going after Rondo. Curry + Bradley Beal + D Wright for Rondo might be doable, depending on what the hek the Celtics will be doing and what direction the want to go. Idk if Celts fans would forgive Ainge if they did that trade though.

Curry / Beal / Pierce / Bass / KG

Rondo / Klay / Rush / Lee / Bogut
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:02 pm
I ask you guys to put yourself in Bostons GM seat and think for a second. If YOU had Rondo, would YOU trade for Curry + #7 + Wright? If your answer is yes, you're fired.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:53 pm
8th ave wrote:I ask you guys to put yourself in Bostons GM seat and think for a second. If YOU had Rondo, would YOU trade for Curry + #7 + Wright? If your answer is yes, you're fired.

:withstupid:

Seriously, more than half the trades I reject on this board are purely because the local fans think we can swindle huge assets away from teams in exchange for our unproven or overpaid garbage. Yes, I realize stranger things have occurred and NBA teams have made famously bad trades and I'm well aware that some would love to point out that Pau Gasol, Baron Davis, and Jason Kidd at one point or another were dealt for feverish underpayment... But come on.

As 8th said, the first thing ANY faux trade should achieve is making sense for BOTH sides. Teams won't give us something without getting something in return. Even those of you that wanna take a step into insider's strategy and claim that some players are being shopped... We shopped Monta for 3 years and we didn't exactly GIVE him away. Just cause a player is available doesn't mean we can get him for free.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:11 am
32 wrote:I'm a little skeptical, like 8th.

For one, I'm not convinced David Lee is a downgrade from Josh Smith. All the contenders have a rebounding 4 with a midrange J; Lee stacks up better against the likes of Gasol, Garnett, Bosh, Stoudamire, etc. I agree; if potential and style points were all that mattered, JSmoove would be the GOAT. But as it stands, he's a motivational head case that can't shoot his way out of a paper bag. To top it off, Smith gets fantasy gold, but can you name me a game that mattered where he shut down the opposing 4? He's no Garnett, no Ibaka, no Duncan. He doesn't play suffocating on-ball man-to-man defense; he's a wizard on the help side and he's athletic enough to recover even after he's beat, but I'm not convinced Josh Smith is the show-stopping defensive player you're advertising him to be. If he's such a great find, why has Atlanta been testing his trade value for going on 3 years in a row?

It's obvious, Lee is above average, but if you watch him, he really doesn't make the team that much better. I give credit to him for continuing to plug away and take to his strengths, even though his style of play is not that exciting to me. Lee is good only at one end, awful defensively, right there JSmith, who plays both ends, is an upgrade. JSmith, seems oblivious to the Atlanta FO, was the best player on a team that made the playoffs with only two good player, along with JJohnson, and with their good Center (Horford) injured almost the whole season. That's a great player. He elevated his numbers and his performance this season and in reality, he is worth quite a bit more than Lee, but looks gettable since he hasn't again been offered an extension, that ought to really tick him off, and has been shopped for a few years now. That's why I'd offer Lee and the #30, add one of the 2nd rounders. Lee has played Center before, though not on winning team, but hey, he hasn't ever played on a winning team :mrgreen: . Him and Horford are interchangeable and could fit well.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:42 am
rockyBeli wrote:
migya wrote:
You know what it all is - Taking the opportunity when it is there.

The Celts did it when they got RAllen and then KG that same offseason. Both wanted out of what was their current situations. Lebron and Bosh also wanted out of their pretty awful teams and Pat Riley and the Miami ownership pounced and made the huge two moves.

We now have a few players in the nba that want out of their current situations. Thing is, right now, the Warriors are not quite the ideal, attractive situation for superstars, but that can be changed in the same offseason with moves like I stated.

1. JSmith again has not been offered a contract extension by the Atlanta FO and so is gettable. He probably wants out too, though I haven't read anything, maybe somone on here has. The FO could get him for Lee alone, but if not, add the #30, even one of the 2nd rounders. Could be enough, if it is, we then have JSmith, a very good player on both ends, an upgrade at PF and an allstar many thought this season, carrying his Hawks team again to the playoffs with Horford out almost all season.

2. If Ainge is still looking to shop Rondo, which is possible now that RAllen is almost certain to leave, likely Garnett as well and they'll probably look to blow that team up and transition without hitting rock bottom. Curry and a resigned Rush for Rondo would give the Celts a replacement starting PG and a starting caliber type player at either SG or SF. I'd throw in Jenkins if needed, as he played well the last few weeks of the season as the starting PG. Rondo is an allstar, superstar type level sometimes. Another upgrade.

3. Dwight has shown himself to be a headcase and that is an issue, but he is the best Center in the nba right now and is on his way out of Orlando. Unless he resigned before acquiring him, I don't want him. Resigned for five years at the max if needed, Bogut, Klay and #7, throw in a future 1st rounder if needed would be a good trade for both teams.

Those three moves make the team a contender, not just a playoff team like they are right now with the current roster. You can fill in the other spots much easier, especially when the team is now far more of a better looking situation.

All those would be intriguing if they could be pulled off. Still I'm cool with the Lee Bogut combo. The one that pops out to me would be going after Rondo. Curry + Bradley Beal + D Wright for Rondo might be doable, depending on what the hek the Celtics will be doing and what direction the want to go. Idk if Celts fans would forgive Ainge if they did that trade though.

Curry / Beal / Pierce / Bass / KG

Rondo / Klay / Rush / Lee / Bogut

Firstly, this all goes back to my point that a superstar is essential. Dwight is a superstar and we have the players to trade for him I think. Bogut/Lee duo looks pretty good, but not elite and if you can improve you do.

That's too much for Rondo. He is close to my favourite PG, but I don't think he is worth that much. Curry had a bad season by his young career standards and the big issue with him is that injured ankle, whether it'll ever be the same, but Curry is truly oozing with potential. His numbers are among the best of the PGs: For his career so far:
17.5pts (very good I think), 5.8asts (Disappointing to me), 4.1rebs (very good), 1.7stls (very good, though misleading because he is a poor defender), 2.1 threes a game at 44.1% (that's amazing, a sign the guy can shoot), 3.0 TOs (pretty bad but about the average for an elite PG), 47.3FG% (also very good for predominantly an outside shooter), 90.1FT% (among the best in the nba)

The only reason why I would trade Curry for Rondo is because Rondo is such a good defender and Curry is pretty bad, otherwise, there isn't any other PG other than Westbrook, Deron, CP, Rose and Lawson (A young PG that performs well and better than his numbers indicate) that I'd want over Curry right now. The ankle issue is a big thing though and something to keep looking at.

Curry and #30 really should be enough for Rondo, especially how the Celts are likely to be broken up in a major way and Ainge will be looking to scramble to get starting positions filled, if both RAllen and KG leave. Reality should be Curry and Rush should be enough.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:43 am
8th ave wrote:I ask you guys to put yourself in Bostons GM seat and think for a second. If YOU had Rondo, would YOU trade for Curry + #7 + Wright? If your answer is yes, you're fired.

Read my post just above this one.

That's giving too much actually.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:32 am
8th ave wrote:I say we go into next season with the roster we have now + our draft picks + Re-signed McGuire with our bi-annual exception and see where we are. We'll most likely (cross your fingers) get into the playoffs and lose in the 1st or 2nd round. We'll assess what we'll need after that happens. None of us know how well our players mesh together. We'll know at the end of next year and things will be more apparent.

I agree with 8th ave. I think the Warriors now have a very solid looking starting 5 which should enable us to get to 7th or 8th seed in the playoffs(depending on injuries). I like the idea of hanging onto Biedrins and Jefferson and letting their contracts expire and then use that money towards a superstar free agent(I'm not sure who'll be availabe then). I'd prefer it if we kept the 7th pick in the draft and selected the best talent available. While I'd love to have Gerald Wallace, Gay or Iguodala on the team, we already know what they can do and know that they are not superstars. They will make the team better but how much better? Maybe 5th or 6th seed but probably not top 4. At least by keeping the draft pick, we have a chance(even if it is only a very small chance) to unearth a special player who could develop into a superstar. With the starting team that the Warriors will have next season, there'd be no pressure on the draft pick to make an immediate impact. I think you have a better chance of finding a superstar in the draft than getting one via a trade or free agency. This years draft has the best talent for a long time and I'm hoping it'll be the last time for a while that we get a lottery pick.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:04 am
Ringo wrote:
8th ave wrote:I say we go into next season with the roster we have now + our draft picks + Re-signed McGuire with our bi-annual exception and see where we are. We'll most likely (cross your fingers) get into the playoffs and lose in the 1st or 2nd round. We'll assess what we'll need after that happens. None of us know how well our players mesh together. We'll know at the end of next year and things will be more apparent.

I agree with 8th ave. I think the Warriors now have a very solid looking starting 5 which should enable us to get to 7th or 8th seed in the playoffs(depending on injuries). I like the idea of hanging onto Biedrins and Jefferson and letting their contracts expire and then use that money towards a superstar free agent(I'm not sure who'll be availabe then). I'd prefer it if we kept the 7th pick in the draft and selected the best talent available. While I'd love to have Gerald Wallace, Gay or Iguodala on the team, we already know what they can do and know that they are not superstars. They will make the team better but how much better? Maybe 5th or 6th seed but probably not top 4. At least by keeping the draft pick, we have a chance(even if it is only a very small chance) to unearth a special player who could develop into a superstar. With the starting team that the Warriors will have next season, there'd be no pressure on the draft pick to make an immediate impact. I think you have a better chance of finding a superstar in the draft than getting one via a trade or free agency. This years draft has the best talent for a long time and I'm hoping it'll be the last time for a while that we get a lottery pick.

The current roster, with the #7, is definately a playoff caliber team, though no sure thing, but very likely to be anywhere from a 5th to 8th seed. My thing is that you always have to aim to improve, no matter what time, no matter what move, at least usually. The time is ripe to get either GWallace (if he agrees to a sign and trade, as he is a free agent) or Iguodala (being overtaken by younger player Young and Turner). Maybe not this offseason, but next one, Dwight will be leaving Orlando one way or the other and if he agreed, a big IF, he could come here in a trade including Bogut. Even trading to get Gay, who is very, very highly paid, would allow the team to use him next offseason in a trade for a superstar. Something like Gay and Klay for a superstar.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:22 am
migya wrote:

It's obvious, Lee is above average, but if you watch him, he really doesn't make the team that much better. I give credit to him for continuing to plug away and take to his strengths, even though his style of play is not that exciting to me. Lee is good only at one end, awful defensively, right there JSmith, who plays both ends, is an upgrade. JSmith, seems oblivious to the Atlanta FO, was the best player on a team that made the playoffs with only two good player, along with JJohnson, and with their good Center (Horford) injured almost the whole season. That's a great player. He elevated his numbers and his performance this season and in reality, he is worth quite a bit more than Lee, but looks gettable since he hasn't again been offered an extension, that ought to really tick him off, and has been shopped for a few years now. That's why I'd offer Lee and the #30, add one of the 2nd rounders. Lee has played Center before, though not on winning team, but hey, he hasn't ever played on a winning team :mrgreen: . Him and Horford are interchangeable and could fit well.

#1, we disagree entirely on David Lee's ability to make a team better. I think you're looking at easily 5-10 fewer wins last year if David Lee isn't on this team. That's just real talk. After Monta was dealt, this team looked confused on offense. I feel as though you're glossing that over with the attitude that the offense will just figure itself out and maybe that would have been true in the days of Nellieball, but as it stands, this team needs a legitimate option on the low block and Lee is that guy. Bogut can't carry an offense, Thompson is going to be a sophomore, and Curry will be hobbled with limited minutes to start the year. David Lee is this team's BIGGEST (and most valuable piece) on offense.

#2, you're right. David Lee can't play defense. Neither can Steve Nash, A'Mare Stoudamire, Dirk Nowitski, Kevin Love, or Zach Randolph. At the NBA level, if you play 35+ minutes a night and you can't stop your opposite number, you have to be dominant in other areas. Lee is the best low block scorer, rebounder, and passing big man this team has had since Webber. Defense or not, he's a huge asset.

#3, Josh Smith finished this season 10th in DPoY voting with 9 points. The winner, Tyson Chandler, had 311 total votes. If Smith is so dominant on defense, why isn't he regarded as a stopper? Doesn't he strike you as a guy that leaps at weak side highlight blocks and nothing else?

#4, the Hawks made the playoffs (1) because the East is weak and (2) because of Joe Johnson. Saying Josh Smith dragged the Hawks to the playoffs is like saying Pau Gasol dragged the Lakers to the playoffs; you're overlooking the best player in Atlanta.

As far as pure, checklist comparison, I see them stacking up like:

Midrange? Lee
Inside buckets? Lee
Post moves? Lee
Free throws? Lee
Highlight slams? Smith

Crashing glass? Lee
Offensive rebounding? Lee
Passing from the block? Lee
Passing off the dribble? Smith

Staying in front of their man? Smith
Weak side swats? Smith
Taking charges? Lee
Being duped into early foul trouble? Smith

Athleticism? Smith
Skill? Lee
Attitude? Lee
Motivation? Lee

I literally don't understand how you can credit Smith for so much? He's EXACTLY what local detractors CLAIM David Lee is; a stat-stuffer interested in his fantasy numbers more than team W's. Why we would make this swap is beyond me. It'd make sense when Monta was here, but now? It's redundant. We already have Bogut to block shots and sweep up the boards that Lee misses.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:36 pm
I'd stay with our current roster before trading Lee for Smith.

To be honest I don't even think they play the same position. Smith is more of a 3. He's been playing out of position because Horfords been hurt.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:37 pm
I agree. Smith's game is that of a small forward.

Just cause you block shots doesn't mean you play the big positions. If it did, Dwayne Wade would be a power forward.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:59 pm
32 wrote:
migya wrote:

#1, we disagree entirely on David Lee's ability to make a team better. I think you're looking at easily 5-10 fewer wins last year if David Lee isn't on this team. That's just real talk. After Monta was dealt, this team looked confused on offense. I feel as though you're glossing that over with the attitude that the offense will just figure itself out and maybe that would have been true in the days of Nellieball, but as it stands, this team needs a legitimate option on the low block and Lee is that guy. Bogut can't carry an offense, Thompson is going to be a sophomore, and Curry will be hobbled with limited minutes to start the year. David Lee is this team's BIGGEST (and most valuable piece) on offense.

#2, you're right. David Lee can't play defense. Neither can Steve Nash, A'Mare Stoudamire, Dirk Nowitski, Kevin Love, or Zach Randolph. At the NBA level, if you play 35+ minutes a night and you can't stop your opposite number, you have to be dominant in other areas. Lee is the best low block scorer, rebounder, and passing big man this team has had since Webber. Defense or not, he's a huge asset.

#3, Josh Smith finished this season 10th in DPoY voting with 9 points. The winner, Tyson Chandler, had 311 total votes. If Smith is so dominant on defense, why isn't he regarded as a stopper? Doesn't he strike you as a guy that leaps at weak side highlight blocks and nothing else?

#4, the Hawks made the playoffs (1) because the East is weak and (2) because of Joe Johnson. Saying Josh Smith dragged the Hawks to the playoffs is like saying Pau Gasol dragged the Lakers to the playoffs; you're overlooking the best player in Atlanta.

As far as pure, checklist comparison, I see them stacking up like:

Midrange? Lee
Inside buckets? Lee
Post moves? Lee
Free throws? Lee
Highlight slams? Smith

Crashing glass? Lee
Offensive rebounding? Lee
Passing from the block? Lee
Passing off the dribble? Smith

Staying in front of their man? Smith
Weak side swats? Smith
Taking charges? Lee
Being duped into early foul trouble? Smith

Athleticism? Smith
Skill? Lee
Attitude? Lee
Motivation? Lee

I literally don't understand how you can credit Smith for so much? He's EXACTLY what local detractors CLAIM David Lee is; a stat-stuffer interested in his fantasy numbers more than team W's. Why we would make this swap is beyond me. It'd make sense when Monta was here, but now? It's redundant. We already have Bogut to block shots and sweep up the boards that Lee misses.

Well firstly, Lee has yet in his career to show he can be on a winning team, that's a big factor. JSmith has been on a winning Hawks team for years. This season, he was the best player on that Hawks team. JJohnson scores and that's it and both scored 18.8 a game this season with very simliar FG%, JJ 45.4, JSmith 45.8. Both avraged 3.9 assists a game this season in the same minutes as well to note. JSmith does alot more than JJ everywhere else except shoot threes. 9.6rebs, 1.4stls, 1.7blks, those are among the league leaders and among the top at PF. JSmit was the best player for the Hawks and JJohnson was the only other good player for them this season and they won quite alot, most of that attributed to JSmith. Him not getting allstar was ridiculous and many people agreed.

I agree that JSmith is more of a weak side defender, but the guy defends well one on one, he has been for years. The DOY voting this year was pretty awful this season, that's why TChandler wasn't voted to the All-Defensive 1st team, Dwight was. JSmith is much better defensively than those votes give him credit for.

Sorry man, but I don't see how you can say JSmith taking the Hawks to the playoffs is like saying PGasol took the Lakers to the playoffs. PGasol is now the third best player on that Lakers team, JSmith is the best on the Hawks.

As for comparing the two, Lee and JSmith, I don't agree, but with some things I do.

I don't think Lee has good post moves, some he does, but he is a very pick and roll player, that's where he does well. His jump shot, from what I've seen the last couple of years, is not that great at all, pretty good, but no great weapon and skill of his. You guys see him much more, so correct me if I'm wrong. JSmith isn't a great shooter himself, but he is alright and scores around the hoop well. I just look at the fact that JSmith scored so well this season being the #1 player on the Hawks and they won many games, Lee scored well, but the Warriors didn't win games. Sure, Lee had relative garbage around him, that's for sure, after Monta was traded that is, because Monta is more of a scorer than JJohnson now, but Curry was out a fair bit and Klay scored, so yea, somewhat comparable to Atlanta this season. Last season however, Lee had not many good scorers around him, but enough so he wasn't getting alot of defensive attention. Monta and Curry are better scorers than JJ and whoever you want to pick as the Hawks #3 scorer. That's where I give JSmith credit, he was the leading scorer on his weak team and they made the playoffs.

Rebounding I'm just not impressed with Lee, not that impressed with JSmith either, but it looked like Lee was going to be a monster rebounder on the warriors and he has been good, but not great. He is likely never going to bad a lackluster rebounder though, whereas JSmith rebounded real well this season, but it was his best rebounding season in his career. Lee is the better rebounder, but it's not by a big amount.

Again I say defense is the big thing and it is. Bogut will improve the defense of the team by a fair bit, but he can't do it alone. I can't see Lee, Curry and Klay becoming good defensively players any time soon, if ever, so the team will never be a very good defensive team as it is. You need at least three good defenders out there on the court and JSmith is a very good one. That'd give two very good defenders and at the bigs spots. That's why if the team can get both JSmith and Iguodala it'd transition the team from bad defensively to very good.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:05 pm
8th ave wrote:I'd stay with our current roster before trading Lee for Smith.

To be honest I don't even think they play the same position. Smith is more of a 3. He's been playing out of position because Horfords been hurt.

JSmith was not as effective as a SF. Many Atlanta fans have said that also on other forum sites of had a squizz at over the last few months. JSmith is better offensively and defensively at PF and that's what I'd want him for here. Having him at SF next to Lee and Bogut would be monstrous in height and rebounding, but not the best lineup. Iguodala or GWallace would fit better.

PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball