Prepare for Another Small Backcourt

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:29 am
I would love to take a flier on Sullinger. It'd make me feel better about Bogut's ankle, possible trades involving DLee, and the status of our bench. Jared Sullinger makes a lot of sense.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:49 pm
If Harrison Barnes is available I would take him above Sullinger though...
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:04 pm
Totally, I was referring to more of a Sully-vs-PJ3 scenario. If Barnes, MKG, or Robinson are on the board, I'd by far prefer a premiere forward than center.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:21 pm
I just think Rush will do no worse than Barnes would. Barnes doesn't seem like that good of a player, definately not one that will be allstar caliber in his career. Sullinger would be a good backup big or worth more in a trade.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:43 pm
Barnes is, for sure, not an all-star talent. But he's a starter waiting to happen. That's a little steadier than what Sullinger will offer; how many 6'9" guys dominate at center in the NBA? And at 270+ already, he won't play anything but the 5. You'd have to pair him with a 7-foot PF to start him, so unless he lands on Dallas or Los Angeles, he'll be playing his ass off just to get a starting gig.

Again, I hope nobody misconstrues this. I am NOT discounting Sullinger's game on the block or the fact that he practically has carried every team he's ever been on, but at 6'9" in the NBA with the kind of game he has... Really, Al Jefferson has KINDA pulled it off (hasn't won yet, but gets his numbers). Other than that, who else has been an all-star center at that size with that game in the last decade?

(not a Carl Landry, Ben Wallace, hustling gym rat, but a beefy post player that likes to size up the competition and bully his way to the cup)

The odds are simply against him.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:27 am
But if Barnes is no better than Rush, then it is a waste getting him and I'd rather Sullinger, a much better backup big than AB or Tyler. The team would then have to find a way to get a very good SF through a trade and truth is, they'd have to use the #7 to do that, so Sullinger wouldn't be kept if he was picked.

For me, there has to be a trade and to be honest, if Charlotte is shopping the #2, I'd want to make a trade to get that, like Klay and #7, but that likely won't be enough. I'd throw in the #30 to see if that was enough, even take back a player they want to get rid of, maybe Augustine. With the #2, that opens up huge trade possibilities and the opportunity to not only get a very good SF, but also another player along with him. Alternatively, you can look to get a superstar with the #2. The dream scenario to me would to get JSmith for Lee and one of the 2nd rounders or the #30 if it didn't go in the trade to get the #2, then a resigned Dwight to us and RAnderson to Philly, Bogut (yea he hasn't played here yet, but this is an improvement and a step towards a championship) and #2 to Magic and Iguodala comes us. Yea, pulling out a huge thing, but Orlando replaces Dwight with Bogut and gets #2 to get TRobinson, giving them a great PF/C duo, Philly get a big that rose last season and he'll replace Brand who will leave after next season one way or the other. Philly has replacements at SG and SF anyway as I've said before (Young and Turner). We get Dwight for five years and Iguodala to be either SG or SF. One more position to cover, SG or SF, but that's easily filled by Rush and he becomes more effective and less of a weakness with Dwight, JSmith and Iguodala next to him.

That #2 is something to aim for because it could open up vast possiblities to get a superstar and much better in one offseason.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:03 pm
Well, if if's were fifths, we'd all be drunk.

Would I be open to turning Lee, Bogut, and the #7 pick in Dwight Howard, Josh Smith, and Andre Iguodala? Absolutely, but it'd take a hypnotist and several additional counts of wizardry to allacazam that into existence.

As it stands, there's no proof that Atlanta wants to deal Josh Smith for Lee, Bogut and a lottery pick doesn't sound hefty enough for the best center in the league (especially seeing as Howard is cherry-picking the coach and GM for next year), and... How were we gonna get Iggy without the #7 pick?

Again, love the fantasy. If it were at all possible, I'd do it in a heart beat. But I think we'd get the iron fist on all 3 of those deals.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:35 pm
Drafting Bradley Beal for anything other than 100% trade bait would be a disastaaaa. Do you know how long I've been waiting for them to trade Monta to end that small backcourt constant disadvantage. Bringing back a small backcourt would discredit everything FO has said about why they had to trade Ellis. I'd be cool with Barnes, Sullinger, or trade for vet.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:42 pm
True... But if Beal is on the board at 7, we can assume Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist, Robinson, Barnes, and Drummond are all gone, so Golden State management will more than likely give us the universally accepted excuse of, "he was the best player available, so we HAD to take him."

Giving them sufficient pretext to at least reintroduce a PART-TIME small backcourt...
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:53 pm

Great break down on Beal's game. Both positive and negative aspects of his game. Not much negative.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:40 pm
32 wrote:Well, if if's were fifths, we'd all be drunk.

Would I be open to turning Lee, Bogut, and the #7 pick in Dwight Howard, Josh Smith, and Andre Iguodala? Absolutely, but it'd take a hypnotist and several additional counts of wizardry to allacazam that into existence.

As it stands, there's no proof that Atlanta wants to deal Josh Smith for Lee, Bogut and a lottery pick doesn't sound hefty enough for the best center in the league (especially seeing as Howard is cherry-picking the coach and GM for next year), and... How were we gonna get Iggy without the #7 pick?

Again, love the fantasy. If it were at all possible, I'd do it in a heart beat. But I think we'd get the iron fist on all 3 of those deals.

You don't know if you don't ask and try.

I do think getting Charlotte's #2, which alot of teams will be after so not easy to get, would really allow the team to get a superstar, be it Dwight or whoever.

The best and simplest trade though is to try to get a very good SF using the draft pick and one of the two bad contracts.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:44 pm
rockyBeli wrote:Drafting Bradley Beal for anything other than 100% trade bait would be a disastaaaa. Do you know how long I've been waiting for them to trade Monta to end that small backcourt constant disadvantage. Bringing back a small backcourt would discredit everything FO has said about why they had to trade Ellis. I'd be cool with Barnes, Sullinger, or trade for vet.

Depending who is better between Beal and Klay, it is feasible to pick Beal and keep him, that is, if he is better than Klay. Klay would have to be traded for a very good SF, UNLESS the team could get one in another trade, which is unlikely without trading one of the other three starters, then we could keep Klay and have a good three guard rotation.

Maybe Beal would get us better value in a trade. That is where the FO has got to be talking to teams that have that desired SF, like Philly who have Iguodala, and see which player they'd rather have in a trade, Beal, Barnes or Sullinger. I think the best thing is to trade the #7 before the draft, then you are sure you've got what you wanted.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:02 am
migya wrote:
32 wrote:Well, if if's were fifths, we'd all be drunk.

You don't know if you don't ask and try.

I do think getting Charlotte's #2, which alot of teams will be after so not easy to get, would really allow the team to get a superstar, be it Dwight or whoever.

The best and simplest trade though is to try to get a very good SF using the draft pick and one of the two bad contracts.

Yeah, Bogut and Thomas Robinson is a really attractive package. So attractive... That I dunno if I'd give it up for Dwight (especially if we mortgage Klay Thompson to Charlotte in the process). Rumor has it that whoever wants Charlotte's pick is gonna have to eat Tyrus Thomas' contract ($7 million per), so you'd have to send the resigned Rush ($4 mill) and Wright ($3 mill) PLUS Klay to make it attractive enough. Then you take the dowry and repackage it for Howard. In simple math, it'd be:

Warriors lose: Brandon Rush (CHA), Dorell Wright (CHA), Klay Thompson (CHA), Andrew Bogut (ORL), 2nd Pick in Draft (ORL)

Warriors gain: Dwight Howard (GS), Tyrus Thomas (GS)

PG: Curry / Jenkins
SG: Jefferson / ?
SF: McGuire / ?
PF: Lee / Thomas
C : Howard / Biedrins

It's a lot to get Howard. Our depth is substantially weakened, we get older, our front court has almost ALL the money tied up (I mean, really, from Lee to Howard, Tyrus Thomas, Biedrins, Jefferson... Where's the money for Curry?), and our SG spot will need to be 100% addressed by way of a free agent or the 30th pick in the draft.

So, we get Howard (alongside Lee and Curry), but our squad looks uglier than Orlando now. Why wouldn't he bolt via free agency?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:58 am
It would have to be a resigned Dwight. If Charlotte wants to send over Tyrus as well, they'll have to take only Klay and the #7, as Tyrus is useless now. Otherwise forget it. If they were to give Maggette, with 11 million and one year left, then they can have a future 1st rounder, two even, because it will allow us to get Dwight.

Just like with getting the huge contract of Gay, the ownership will pay what it has to to keep Curry.

Dwight is a superstar and, if he was willing to come here resigned, that's a big step forward for the team, who haven't had a superstar since Mullin, who really was one for a few years at the start of the 1990s.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:57 am
Unfortunately, since we aren't below the cap, league rules prohibit us from just taking on Thomas' contract; we'd need to match salaries to push the deal through and Thompson alone is not nearly $7 million. Therefore, if we wanna take Thomas on, we must do so by dealing them affordable/expiring talent. Rush will almost certainly sign a 1-year deal to become unrestricted next summer (when Wright expires too... The combine total of them being $7 million), so sad to say, getting the #2 pick isn't as easy as saying, "here's Klay Thompson, now swap us picks".

Charlotte is using the pick as leverage to shed Tyrus Thomas. We can't give them a bad contract for a bad contract; they'll balk at the idea of taking back Jefferson or Biedrins when their goal is to lose bills. So if we want Thomas Robinson (or the trade bait of the #2 pick in general), it will cost us our entire depth at SG.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball