Importance of a superstar

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:38 pm
How does that even work? So if Memphis was openly trading Gay you wouldn't be AS convinced? I dunno I don't think he's going to be traded.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:18 pm
32 wrote:True, regarding the importance of Klay Thompson.

Personally, I'd love to see the team throw it in gear and go for it like this. I'm totally ready to see what a core of Lee, Curry, Bogut, and Gay can do in this conference. I personally think Bogut is better than Gasol, Lee is comparable (=) to Randolph, and after that who on Memphis can touch Curry, Rush, and Thompson? Our core is WAY better than the current Grizzlies.

I think at best the team compares to the Grizz. ZRand is better than Lee and Conley has played better than Curry for a while. Klay would have to improve more and the team keep Rush and McGuire to have a better bench than the Grizz and be better overall. That Grizz team looks very good.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:55 pm
8th ave wrote:How does that even work? So if Memphis was openly trading Gay you wouldn't be AS convinced? I dunno I don't think he's going to be traded.

It's just literally what ever pro GM does. You wanna get the most out of your asset, so you always deny shopping players until they're gone. Happens all the time.

migya wrote:

Personally, I'd love to see the team throw it in gear and go for it like this. I'm totally ready to see what a core of Lee, Curry, Bogut, and Gay can do in this conference. I personally think Bogut is better than Gasol, Lee is comparable (=) to Randolph, and after that who on Memphis can touch Curry, Rush, and Thompson? Our core is WAY better than the current Grizzlies.

I think at best the team compares to the Grizz. ZRand is better than Lee and Conley has played better than Curry for a while. Klay would have to improve more and the team keep Rush and McGuire to have a better bench than the Grizz and be better overall. That Grizz team looks very good.

Ehhhhh, Randolph has been on better teams but he's not BETTER than Lee; they're almost exact copies of one another. Their games are identical, their numbers are identical. 20 and 10 guys, over 50% from the field, 70% from the line. Don't shoot 3's, don't block shots.

Conley has only played better than Curry cause he's played AT ALL... If Curry were consistently in the lineup, that comparison wouldn't even be close.

And aside from Tony Allen and Darrell Arthur, why should I care about the Grizzlies' bench? I'm not impressed by Haddadi, Pargo, Pondexter, Arenas, or Cunningham.

Call me a homer, but...

Rush, McGuire, Jefferson > Tony Allen (or OJ Mayo, whoever doesn't start) and Darrell Arthur

Bogut > Gasol
Lee = Randolph
Gay~Gay
Thompson < Allen
Curry > Conley

That's 3-1-2, in favor of Golden State +2.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:35 am
32 wrote:
8th ave wrote:How does that even work? So if Memphis was openly trading Gay you wouldn't be AS convinced? I dunno I don't think he's going to be traded.

It's just literally what ever pro GM does. You wanna get the most out of your asset, so you always deny shopping players until they're gone. Happens all the time.

migya wrote:

Ehhhhh, Randolph has been on better teams but he's not BETTER than Lee; they're almost exact copies of one another. Their games are identical, their numbers are identical. 20 and 10 guys, over 50% from the field, 70% from the line. Don't shoot 3's, don't block shots.

Conley has only played better than Curry cause he's played AT ALL... If Curry were consistently in the lineup, that comparison wouldn't even be close.

And aside from Tony Allen and Darrell Arthur, why should I care about the Grizzlies' bench? I'm not impressed by Haddadi, Pargo, Pondexter, Arenas, or Cunningham.

Call me a homer, but...

Rush, McGuire, Jefferson > Tony Allen (or OJ Mayo, whoever doesn't start) and Darrell Arthur

Bogut > Gasol
Lee = Randolph
Gay~Gay
Thompson < Allen
Curry > Conley

I agree with Migya. Memphis is definitely a better team than us. Concerning all of the players both of you have mentioned (Curry, Klay, Lee, Bogut <-> Conley, Mayo, Randolph, Gasol), the players on Memphis' team has shown the last 2 years that they're playoff worthy. Any basketball fan would choose Memphis' roster over the Warriors' roster with an exception to Warriors fans and they'd be right for it because they've been there and we haven't.

Hate to say it, but yes, you are a homer. As much as I'm excited about next season, our team can EASILY be a bust. Bogut can re-injure his ankle/forearm. Curry could resprain his ankle. Thompson may digress. Our team is FULL of question marks. Memphis on the other hand is totally different. Does Conley have as much potential as Curry? Who the fuk cares besides Warriors fans? He's shown he can compete on a playoff level while Curry's durability is in question. Can Lee put up the same number as Randolph in the playoffs? We'll never know because Lee has never played a single playoff game. Can Bogut stay on the court long enough to propel his team to the playoffs? We won't know because he's never done it before.

Trust me. If our team resembled anything that was better than Memphis' roster, I would express it with PRIDE. They're proven talent and all we can say is that we have a higher ceiling, and really... that doesn't mean jack ****.

* I'm drunk. Cheers, guys. I love you all.

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:35 am
God i hope i'm wrong...

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:36 am
8th ave wrote:
32 wrote:

migya wrote:

Call me a homer, but...

Bogut > Gasol
Lee = Randolph
Gay~Gay
Thompson < Allen
Curry > Conley

I agree with Migya. Memphis is definitely a better team than us. Concerning all of the players both of you have mentioned (Curry, Klay, Lee, Bogut <-> Conley, Mayo, Randolph, Gasol), the players on Memphis' team has shown the last 2 years that they're playoff worthy. Any basketball fan would choose Memphis' roster over the Warriors' roster with an exception to Warriors fans and they'd be right for it because they've been there and we haven't.

Hate to say it, but yes, you are a homer. As much as I'm excited about next season, our team can EASILY be a bust. Bogut can re-injure his ankle/forearm. Curry could resprain his ankle. Thompson may digress. Our team is FULL of question marks. Memphis on the other hand is totally different. Does Conley have as much potential as Curry? Who the fuk cares besides Warriors fans? He's shown he can compete on a playoff level while Curry's durability is in question. Can Lee put up the same number as Randolph in the playoffs? We'll never know because Lee has never played a single playoff game. Can Bogut stay on the court long enough to propel his team to the playoffs? We won't know because he's never done it before.

Trust me. If our team resembled anything that was better than Memphis' roster, I would express it with PRIDE. They're proven talent and all we can say is that we have a higher ceiling, and really... that doesn't mean jack ****.

* I'm drunk. Cheers, guys. I love you all.

:mrgreen: I'm not drunk, but hey, I love you all as well.

Yea, the Grizz are tested and proven as a good playoff team that knocked off the #1 seed Spurs last year. 32 does have a point about potential of the likes of Curry and Klay. They'll have to reach that potential though because the question marks are huge with the Warriors, just as they always are and perhaps never more than now that Bogut is here and the team finally has a proper Center.

Getting Gay would solve the SF problem, certainly would, though at a high money cost, but hey, that's the ownerships thing and they've said they'll pay alot, so be it. The team could go with that lineup for one season and see what it gives us, certainly should be playoffs, pushing for top 4 in the West even. After next season, we'd see what things are worth and if certain players should be resigned or traded and so forth. If Gay is gettable and the FO can't get Iguodala or GWallace, to me, maybe they should do it, just to get the talent and to really be as good as possible now. That'd also give trade bait while those good players are still here. A risk though.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:39 am
:mrgreen: Happy Friday, 8th! Glad you're feelin the affection.

But here, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I can't discount the production of veterans like Lee and Bogut simply because they weren't blessed with great teammates the majority of their career. And I can't predict the season of the Warriors with a doom & gloom paranoia about Curry or Bogut's health. Both will have had a year to recover. That's as we'll as can be expected. Has this Memphis squad eeked into the playoffs recently? A couple times, yeah. But have the Warriors core 4 played a single game together yet? No. So you can't discount the improvements in the win column a guy like Bogut will bring. If you think this is a lottery team with the additions of a healthy Steph Curry, a healthy Andrew Bogut, and a talented top 7 lottery pick, I gotta ask why you torture yourself and watch this team in the first place?

On paper, Golden State's roster is worse than Memphis'... Because they have Rudy Gay. If we acquired him for filler and a high pick, NO fan in the league would ever claim Memphis' supporting cast looks better than Golden State's on paper. 2 years ago, the same shots you're taking at Lee and Bogut could be said about Zach Randolph and he CLEARLY carried a team to the 2nd round. A player being better than another player simply because one has been on a playoff team is a false dichotomy. Are Steve Nash and John Stockton not among the greatest PG's of all-time because they don't have championship rings? Wins, playoffs, and rings are a TEAM effort, not an individual.

I'm sorry bro... But you're sounding a lot like that loyaltyisacurse guy that used to hate this team.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:05 am
I said all I had on this subject for the time being...don't wanna repeat myself...I just wanted to chip in...spread some love among fellow members. Love you all guys (no homo). :)
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:59 pm
migya wrote:I was looking at the two series in the playoffs right now and could really see how great and important superstars really are, as they have always been. Lebron has been absolutely huge for Miami, quite a bit more than Wade against the Celts so for. Durant likewise against the Spurs. Rondo has been huge for the Celts and Parker, who is not really a superstar but close most of the time, has been huge for the Spurs all playoffs.

The Warriors don't have a superstar, not even a current allstar. The team is not an attractive place at the moment, so not a real destination on any superstar's mind. Though the current roster, adding the #7 pick, looks playoff caliber at least, it certainly is not championship caliber, even at it's best I think. To be a contender the team will need a superstar, as there have not been many teams in as long as I can remember that have been among the top 5 teams and not had a superstar.

We can throw out trades, far fetched or not so much, but the truth is that only a superstar looking to leave his current team is any possibility, as they always hold less value than they usually have and will want out almost no matter what the longer time goes by.

I think the only way the team can be attractive to any sort of superstar is to trade for an allstar first. As an example, if the team traded for JSmith, an allstar in the minds of most people this season, though snubbed ridiculously, a player like Dwight would look at the team situation more favourably. If Ainge was stupid enough to let Rondo go for something like Curry and filler, like Rush and not the #7 pick, the team would look alot better and again, more attractive after such a smart move acquiring a star PG that is well deservingly getting alot of attention right now.

You replace Lee with JSmith on the team or get Rondo for Curry and bench filler or both moves, then give a fair truckload to get a resigned Dwight, like Bogut, #7, Klay and future 1st rounder, the team then looks like a championship contender. All three moves do not look lopsided talent wise, not looking at it with biased view, yet the team situation looks much better, with at least one superstar and one allstar.

Almost all the championship teams of the past have had at least one superstar playing at that level and this season is no different. The team will not be a contender until we have at least one superstar, so getting one as soon as possible is a must.

Right you are. All stars get you to the playoffs, superstars get you to the Finals. But is contending the goal at this moment when the team has made the playoffs like once in 20 yrs. Baby steps. This franchise needs to prove it can even get in the top 8 and be competitive before thinking about championship. Teams like the Clippers (#1 overall + trade for CP3) or Boston (fortunate trades at the right time - KG wanting out, Allen expendable, etc) and the Miami big 3 were able to change their teams fortunes overnight, but I'm not sure if that's typical.

I do think we have some near all stars with David Lee, Bogut (was All NBA 3rd team one year), and if Curry could rise up from his injuries and shadow of Monta. Even Klay Thompson has some all star skills if he continues to improve imo. At least one of those base 4 players can make the all star team if the team is winning.

I think the important thing is this team is building to be competitive, stacking the chips, building a base of talent, building options, building a culture that FA's will want to join, and putting themselves in a position to be competitive AND in a position to trade for a superstar if/when that opportunity comes along.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:51 pm
How many of us believe Stephen Curry has star potential?

I can't be the only one, can I?

A career 17.5 PPG, 5.8 APG, 4.0 RPG, 1.7 SPG, improving his FG% all three years he's been in the league? On garbage, non-playoff rosters? And how many players can you name, at a career 17 points a night, that have shooting numbers like 47-44-90?

Steve Nash won back to back MVP's running a stupidly prolific offense because he was a 45-40-85 guy. Curry may not drop dimes like Nashty, but he's a better shooter, a better defender, and 10+ years younger than Nash. I can't be the only one who sees star potential in this guy, can I? Or have the injuries jaded the fan base?
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:51 pm
32 wrote::mrgreen: Happy Friday, 8th! Glad you're feelin the affection.

But here, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I can't discount the production of veterans like Lee and Bogut simply because they weren't blessed with great teammates the majority of their career. And I can't predict the season of the Warriors with a doom & gloom paranoia about Curry or Bogut's health. Both will have had a year to recover. That's as we'll as can be expected. Has this Memphis squad eeked into the playoffs recently? A couple times, yeah. But have the Warriors core 4 played a single game together yet? No. So you can't discount the improvements in the win column a guy like Bogut will bring. If you think this is a lottery team with the additions of a healthy Steph Curry, a healthy Andrew Bogut, and a talented top 7 lottery pick, I gotta ask why you torture yourself and watch this team in the first place?

On paper, Golden State's roster is worse than Memphis'... Because they have Rudy Gay. If we acquired him for filler and a high pick, NO fan in the league would ever claim Memphis' supporting cast looks better than Golden State's on paper. 2 years ago, the same shots you're taking at Lee and Bogut could be said about Zach Randolph and he CLEARLY carried a team to the 2nd round. A player being better than another player simply because one has been on a playoff team is a false dichotomy. Are Steve Nash and John Stockton not among the greatest PG's of all-time because they don't have championship rings? Wins, playoffs, and rings are a TEAM effort, not an individual.

I'm sorry bro... But you're sounding a lot like that loyaltyisacurse guy that used to hate this team.

So this is what happened. Miggy basically said he wouldn't trade for Gay because we'd basically be a unproven version of Memphis. You disagreed and said we'd be better than Memphis and that's where I disagreed.

We know a couple of things for sure. We can give Gay credit (no pun intended) when Zbo was out that one year and him, Conley, and Gasol carried their teams to the playoffs. However, there was a year when Gay was injured in the playoffs and Memphis unseated the number 1 seed in the west. If we use this example to compare both of our rosters without Gay, it shows that their squad is generally better, no? Do you believe a squad core of Bogut, Lee, Steph, and Thompson could beat that No.1 seeded Spurs? You could make an argument,sure, but you wouldn't' bet your bottom dollar that they would.

Also, I did not say this team was lottery bound with our current squad. I just said it's probably not better than Memphis' squad. Nothing more, nothing less.

And no. I do not hate this team. It's funny that you would even question that. I wouldn't question anyone's fan hood here in general considering how long we've been on this board despite our history of losing, inadequacy, and inept front office/owner. This team is my baby. I love this team. Just because I'm pessimistic doesn't mean I hate it.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:08 pm
You're right, accept my apology for the unwarranted, surly remark. Nobody deserves to be called loyaltyisacurse :wink:

I suppose when it's all speculation, nobody's really wrong haha.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:51 pm
rockyBeli wrote:
migya wrote:I was looking at the two series in the playoffs right now and could really see how great and important superstars really are, as they have always been. Lebron has been absolutely huge for Miami, quite a bit more than Wade against the Celts so for. Durant likewise against the Spurs. Rondo has been huge for the Celts and Parker, who is not really a superstar but close most of the time, has been huge for the Spurs all playoffs.

The Warriors don't have a superstar, not even a current allstar. The team is not an attractive place at the moment, so not a real destination on any superstar's mind. Though the current roster, adding the #7 pick, looks playoff caliber at least, it certainly is not championship caliber, even at it's best I think. To be a contender the team will need a superstar, as there have not been many teams in as long as I can remember that have been among the top 5 teams and not had a superstar.

We can throw out trades, far fetched or not so much, but the truth is that only a superstar looking to leave his current team is any possibility, as they always hold less value than they usually have and will want out almost no matter what the longer time goes by.

I think the only way the team can be attractive to any sort of superstar is to trade for an allstar first. As an example, if the team traded for JSmith, an allstar in the minds of most people this season, though snubbed ridiculously, a player like Dwight would look at the team situation more favourably. If Ainge was stupid enough to let Rondo go for something like Curry and filler, like Rush and not the #7 pick, the team would look alot better and again, more attractive after such a smart move acquiring a star PG that is well deservingly getting alot of attention right now.

You replace Lee with JSmith on the team or get Rondo for Curry and bench filler or both moves, then give a fair truckload to get a resigned Dwight, like Bogut, #7, Klay and future 1st rounder, the team then looks like a championship contender. All three moves do not look lopsided talent wise, not looking at it with biased view, yet the team situation looks much better, with at least one superstar and one allstar.

Almost all the championship teams of the past have had at least one superstar playing at that level and this season is no different. The team will not be a contender until we have at least one superstar, so getting one as soon as possible is a must.

Right you are. All stars get you to the playoffs, superstars get you to the Finals. But is contending the goal at this moment when the team has made the playoffs like once in 20 yrs. Baby steps. This franchise needs to prove it can even get in the top 8 and be competitive before thinking about championship. Teams like the Clippers (#1 overall + trade for CP3) or Boston (fortunate trades at the right time - KG wanting out, Allen expendable, etc) and the Miami big 3 were able to change their teams fortunes overnight, but I'm not sure if that's typical.

I do think we have some near all stars with David Lee, Bogut (was All NBA 3rd team one year), and if Curry could rise up from his injuries and shadow of Monta. Even Klay Thompson has some all star skills if he continues to improve imo. At least one of those base 4 players can make the all star team if the team is winning.

I think the important thing is this team is building to be competitive, stacking the chips, building a base of talent, building options, building a culture that FA's will want to join, and putting themselves in a position to be competitive AND in a position to trade for a superstar if/when that opportunity comes along.

You know what it all is - Taking the opportunity when it is there.

The Celts did it when they got RAllen and then KG that same offseason. Both wanted out of what was their current situations. Lebron and Bosh also wanted out of their pretty awful teams and Pat Riley and the Miami ownership pounced and made the huge two moves.

We now have a few players in the nba that want out of their current situations. Thing is, right now, the Warriors are not quite the ideal, attractive situation for superstars, but that can be changed in the same offseason with moves like I stated.

1. JSmith again has not been offered a contract extension by the Atlanta FO and so is gettable. He probably wants out too, though I haven't read anything, maybe somone on here has. The FO could get him for Lee alone, but if not, add the #30, even one of the 2nd rounders. Could be enough, if it is, we then have JSmith, a very good player on both ends, an upgrade at PF and an allstar many thought this season, carrying his Hawks team again to the playoffs with Horford out almost all season.

2. If Ainge is still looking to shop Rondo, which is possible now that RAllen is almost certain to leave, likely Garnett as well and they'll probably look to blow that team up and transition without hitting rock bottom. Curry and a resigned Rush for Rondo would give the Celts a replacement starting PG and a starting caliber type player at either SG or SF. I'd throw in Jenkins if needed, as he played well the last few weeks of the season as the starting PG. Rondo is an allstar, superstar type level sometimes. Another upgrade.

3. Dwight has shown himself to be a headcase and that is an issue, but he is the best Center in the nba right now and is on his way out of Orlando. Unless he resigned before acquiring him, I don't want him. Resigned for five years at the max if needed, Bogut, Klay and #7, throw in a future 1st rounder if needed would be a good trade for both teams.

Those three moves make the team a contender, not just a playoff team like they are right now with the current roster. You can fill in the other spots much easier, especially when the team is now far more of a better looking situation.

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:55 pm
migya wrote:
rockyBeli wrote:

The Celts did it when they got RAllen and then KG that same offseason. Both wanted out of what was their current situations. Lebron and Bosh also wanted out of their pretty awful teams and Pat Riley and the Miami ownership pounced and made the huge two moves.

We now have a few players in the nba that want out of their current situations. Thing is, right now, the Warriors are not quite the ideal, attractive situation for superstars, but that can be changed in the same offseason with moves like I stated.

1. JSmith again has not been offered a contract extension by the Atlanta FO and so is gettable. He probably wants out too, though I haven't read anything, maybe somone on here has. The FO could get him for Lee alone, but if not, add the #30, even one of the 2nd rounders. Could be enough, if it is, we then have JSmith, a very good player on both ends, an upgrade at PF and an allstar many thought this season, carrying his Hawks team again to the playoffs with Horford out almost all season.

2. If Ainge is still looking to shop Rondo, which is possible now that RAllen is almost certain to leave, likely Garnett as well and they'll probably look to blow that team up and transition without hitting rock bottom. Curry and a resigned Rush for Rondo would give the Celts a replacement starting PG and a starting caliber type player at either SG or SF. I'd throw in Jenkins if needed, as he played well the last few weeks of the season as the starting PG. Rondo is an allstar, superstar type level sometimes. Another upgrade.

3. Dwight has shown himself to be a headcase and that is an issue, but he is the best Center in the nba right now and is on his way out of Orlando. Unless he resigned before acquiring him, I don't want him. Resigned for five years at the max if needed, Bogut, Klay and #7, throw in a future 1st rounder if needed would be a good trade for both teams.

Those three moves make the team a contender, not just a playoff team like they are right now with the current roster. You can fill in the other spots much easier, especially when the team is now far more of a better looking situation.

The things that come out of your mouth sometimes [-( [-( [-(

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:50 am
8th ave wrote:
migya wrote:
rockyBeli wrote:

The things that come out of your mouth sometimes [-( [-( [-(

Those moves would make the team a contender, just the chance of pulling them all off is low, especially getting Dwight. It is as I said, it is about opportunity and this offseason there are opportunities so this is a great time to try to move to being a contender for real.

PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball