Intriguing Free Agents 2012

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:21 pm
I don't want to deal Bogut, Lee, or Curry for JSmoove. If we can get him for that lottery pick (ala an Iggy deal), I'd be stoked.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:37 pm
I'd trade Lee for him. JSmith is better everywhere except maybe passing. Atlanta would be stupid to do that, but they do look more and more like a stupid FO so it could be possible.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:30 pm
Passing? I always thought Smith was a better playmaker off the dribble; though I agree Lee sees cutters way better.

But where I see Lee above Smith is rebounding AND scoring. Offense in general.

The rebounding part isn't much of a contest: Lee, in 32 MPG, grabs 9.6 RPG for his career; Smith's career: in 34 MPG, grabs 8.0 RPG. Still impressive (and obviously a far more imposing defensive threat), but you gotta give the glass to DLee.

Scoring is a little more subjective: Smith scores 0.8 points more than Lee, but shoots 5% worse from the floor and 11% worse from the line. As I said before, Smith gets 2 more minutes per game and hits the occasional 3-pointer, so it depends on what you're looking for in a PF... And while I appreciate Smith's superior versatility and defensive zest, David Lee can be flat out unstoppable on one end of the court (and we Warriors fans witnessed it; the first 35-20-10 triple double since Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 30 years earlier). Those aren't flukey digits: Lee is legit.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:00 pm
I think Lee would be a great fit for the Hawks. Josh Smith isn't a scorer which is something they need. Joe Johnson will be 32 years old so and isn't a 20 point scorer anymore. Having Horford healthy would help, but so would a guy like David Lee. Having said all that, I wouldn't trade Lee unless they miraculously land the #1 pick to grab Anthony Davis or in the top 3 to draft Andre Drummond to replace him.

The Hawks will be looking for a center. Horford played well in the last few games and should remain healthy for next season. Getting a lottery pick to take either Meyers Leonard or Tyler Zeller could entice them to trade Josh Smith. I'd go the #7 pick, Richard Jefferson and Dorell Wright for Josh Smith. They get some veteran depth in Jefferson if Marvin Williams doesn't step up and a guy that gives them a 3 point threat in Wright.

The Warriors would get Josh Smith and can target a guy like Jeffrey Taylor (6'7, SF Vanderbilt) for depth. They re-sign Brandon Rush and McGuire and they have a team..

PG Stephen Curry - Charles Jenkins
SG Klay Thompson - Brandon Rush
SF Josh Smith - Jeffrey Taylor - Dominic McGuire
PF David Lee - Jeremy Tyler
C Andrew Bogut - Andris Biedrins
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:55 am
Firstly, JSmith is now much more a PF than SF. I would like to see that lineup having JSmith here at SF with Lee and Bogut, but likely that would be too slow and not as effective.

Also, after what he did this season, JSmith is better than Lee in scoring and rebounding to me. Both got 9.6rebs a game and Lee, who was the #1 scoring option after Monta got traded averaged 20.1pts to JSmith 18.8pts, but JSmith was option #2 after JJohnson for Atlanta. JSmith also got one assist a game more than Lee, so he passes good, looks like more effectively. Defensively obviously there is a big difference, Lee is not good and JSmith is awesome.

JSmith seems still underrated and looks underappreciated where he is. I'd look to make a straight up trade and if it went through, it'd be a plus for us.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:04 am
Interesting trade idea D Lee for JSmoove. How bout that defense on the frontcourt, J Smith & Bogut? Fierce. At this point I probably wouldn't care a whole lot either way. Each have their strengths and weaknesses. A big difference I see though is Smith doesn't have much of a post game while D Lee proved this year he can carry the load and be the workhorse and also a leader - getting back to the basket points, midrange, or creating for others. I don't know if J Smith is capable of all that, but he's clearly a better defender and more athletic. Overall I'm pretty apprehensive of any trades involving established players, or more so players who've impressed while here and proved their worth and WANT to be here. Anything short of a star player or trading for a needed SF, I think being trade-happy with good players like Lee doesn't help team chemistry or team cohesiveness. I'd rather trade players who aren't contributing or who aren't part of the solution, especially if the player you're getting back isn't all that much of an upgrade but more of on same level talent-wise. It would definitely be a defensive upgrade. But say Bogut gets hurt, our points in the paint would become about as non-existent as it was pre-David Lee trade.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:48 am
Yea, any trade involving one of the core players is always a risk, especially a good big that actually wants to be here, a team that not many players have wanted to be on. It would be good to see this team fully healthy as it currently is, but as always, if you can improve, you do.

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:35 am
I do remember at the beginning of the season, reports have said that Josh Smith slimmed down to play the SF position. If they can somehow get Smith without trading any of their main players, then it would be a great deal.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:41 am
rockyBeli wrote:Interesting trade idea D Lee for JSmoove. How bout that defense on the frontcourt, J Smith & Bogut? Fierce. At this point I probably wouldn't care a whole lot either way. Each have their strengths and weaknesses. A big difference I see though is Smith doesn't have much of a post game while D Lee proved this year he can carry the load and be the workhorse and also a leader - getting back to the basket points, midrange, or creating for others. I don't know if J Smith is capable of all that, but he's clearly a better defender and more athletic. Overall I'm pretty apprehensive of any trades involving established players, or more so players who've impressed while here and proved their worth and WANT to be here. Anything short of a star player or trading for a needed SF, I think being trade-happy with good players like Lee doesn't help team chemistry or team cohesiveness. I'd rather trade players who aren't contributing or who aren't part of the solution, especially if the player you're getting back isn't all that much of an upgrade but more of on same level talent-wise. It would definitely be a defensive upgrade. But say Bogut gets hurt, our points in the paint would become about as non-existent as it was pre-David Lee trade.

QFT.

I like the Smith for lottery pick plus fillers idea... But I think we missed Atlanta's fire sale by 5 or 6 years. Nowadays, they seem to be buyers (Jamal Crawford) as often as sellers (um, Jamal Crawford). But if they're inept enough to deal Smith for a draft pick, let's do it. I'm gonna differ with miggy; I believe Smith is more than capable of playing a Tayshaun Prince type of 3.

But, as I said before, I'm pretty lukewarm on most ideas where we sell Lee and this is no exception. I believe last year, Lee was bested by LaMarcus Alderige, Pau Gasol, and Kevin Love at the PF spot, so I wouldn't deal him for another PF besides them. Maybe Blake Griffin, too.

Again, the loss of Monta Ellis amplifies the value of scoring in Golden State. If we trade Lee for Smith, whose our go-to-guy if the jumpers aren't falling for Steph or Klay?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:49 pm
Bump.

Rumblings in GS are starting to say that they'll make a hard push for Jason Kidd if the Mavericks sign Deron Williams and I don't wanna crowd our Iggy or Rudy Gay threads.

Kidd is definitely a guy that can guard 2's. He's a 1 that side-steps the small backcourt issue if we wanted to slide Curry to the 2. I love the idea; JKidd's game is still my favorite to watch in the league. How real does this sound to everybody?

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:29 pm
INteresting.. if (AND BIG IF) the warriors do go after a pg like Nash or Kidd, that might make Thompson expendable. Maybe the warriors can package that 7th pick with Thompson for a SF (as mentioned in the Gay discussion or even for Pierce if the Celtics decide to part with him).

If that is too extreme, then the warriors should simply keep curry at PG, with Thompson to develop and draft a SF. Either develop your own team or go all out. That is my approach to it.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:40 pm
I think most of the talks are aimed to having Kidd be he backup.... so Curry would be starting PG, and Thompson the starting SG, but Kidd would come in off the bench and get a good chunk of quality mins. So Curry would also see time at SG and Thompson at SF.
Seems like a good idea, specially considering Curry's Ankle.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:26 pm
Thompson affection aside, JKidd and Curry are a NASTY back court.

I'd totally package Thompson with the 7 pick to get Charlotte's 3. Kidd, Curry, and MKG? Too nasty. And even if Kidd hangs it up after a year, Rush is more than capable of being an average starting 2 in the league.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:27 pm
If Kidd comes here it will be for one year only and he'll be given a job involved with the team in some way after that. Having him on the roster should only be a help for Curry to improve, especially defensively if he learns from Kidd, but other than that it is very short term.

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:41 pm
Brandon Rush is set to become a restricted free agent on July 1 and Warriors general manager Bob Myers says he plans on re-signing the swingman.

"We're going to keep him," Myers tells the San Francisco Chronicle.

Rush had a solid season scoring off the bench for the Warriors and he'll have that role in the future.

According to the newspaper, the Warriors have already given Rush the $4.4 million qualifying offer, which allows them to match any offer sheet he may sign with another team. Rush will be unrestricted free agent in 2013 if he just signs the qualifying offer.

Also

There have been rumors that Golden State is one of the teams interested in Brandon Roy, should he decide to unretire, and it was confirmed on Friday by general manager Bob Myers.

"I told (Roy) when he was amnesty-ed ... hope this isn't it for you. Make sure this isn't it. He's said publicly he wants to come back, so I'll start to talk to him," Myers told the local media, including Matt Steinmetz of CSNBayArea.com. "It depends how everything goes for us and what his expectations are and all of that. But absolutely I'll talk to him."

It's not a surprise that Myers would call Roy as he used to be his agent.

The Lakers, Clippers, Wolves, Bulls and Heat may call Roy at some point as we get closer to training camp.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball