Prepare for Another Small Backcourt

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13531
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:17 pm
WarriorsFanNJ wrote:If beal was the best player left on the board I would much rather have him over then Terrance or Perry Jones or Jared Sullinger but if theres drummond availible or maybe Henson i would see it as an equal fit. Worst comes to worst Beal is an asset on draft night in a deal for an igudala or josh smith and if we he keep him we hold on to a player who possibly could become a excellent volume scorer and contributer along the comparisions of hopefully an Eric Gordon type. At #7 though if a potential franchise big man comes in like Drummond who can be mentored by consumate pros such as Dlee and Bogut are i think thats too sweet of a deal to pass up to obtain a small and still defenisivly challenged backcourt.

Drummond and PJ3 scare me. I've had enough potential with motivational problems in the past 6 years (Anthony Randolph, Patrick O'Bryant, Jeremy Tyler). I'm beginning to think they never get past something like that if it's already proven to be an issue before the draft.

And I'm not discounting what Beal has as far as talent; I'm just asking in a bigger picture sense: are you okay with the Warriors going back to the small backcourt?

Can they win in the playoffs with a couple guys that are 6'3" (or potentially smaller, if they draft a PG)? Is there anyone who thinks the Monta-Steph pairing was inconclusive and that a tiny backcourt can get to the big show in the NBA?
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 418
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:16 am
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:27 am
I think if Beal's available, we have to take him, since that probably means the best remaining players available are Lillard and PJ (unless someone above us reaches for one of those guys, and someone like Barnes/Sully/Drummond is still on the board). Beal is easily the superior talent compared to Lillard and PJ, and really neither of those guys would be much more use to us. If we don't take Beal at 7, I'd rather have us pick Henson than Lillard, PJ, or TJ, but that would still be a pretty weak pick. It's gotta be Beal if he's there, simply by process of elimination.

Now, I'm not suggesting we roll with a backcourt of Curry, Beal, and Thompson (along with SFs Wright and McGuire)... No, if we do end up in that situation, we have to find a trade. I'd be willing to trade either Beal or Thompson, whichever would get us the better deal.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2425
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:01 am
32 wrote:
WarriorsFanNJ wrote:And I'm not discounting what Beal has as far as talent; I'm just asking in a bigger picture sense: are you okay with the Warriors going back to the small backcourt?

Can they win in the playoffs with a couple guys that are 6'3" (or potentially smaller, if they draft a PG)? Is there anyone who thinks the Monta-Steph pairing was inconclusive and that a tiny backcourt can get to the big show in the NBA?

No, I'm not okay with small backcourt. I didn't like it with Monta, I'm sure I wouldn't like it now. If they do draft Beal, I'm just hoping that they would have some trade in mind, that would involve either Beal himself, or Klay. If I see small backcourt again, I might take a new break from the NBA.
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13531
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:37 am
Brad Beal could be a Insta-Eric-Gordon (just add water), but I'd still rather trade the pick than him.

Hell, even a small deal. Suppose the Suns want to move up to 7 from 13 and get Beal (if he's available). Tell them to give us a battery of Channing Frye and Shannon Brown while taking back the Biedrins contract, we swap the 7 for the 13, and boom, facelift for the Dubstitutes.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image

Rookie
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:49 pm
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:04 pm
Observation and maybe even some opinion on this but what is the difference between Sullinger and Kevin Love when he first came into the league? From everything I've read, Kevin Love was also a very high IQ skilled player with limited athletism, weakeness in lateral quickness, low potential, kind of like what you see is what you get.... Sort of similar to Sullinger? Am I missing something here??? Don't understand why are people so down on JS, I mean, I would love someone who rebound as much as Kevin Love and give the Warriors productive minutes.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13531
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:46 pm
For sure, but for every Kevin Love that comes into the league there are 100 Eddy Curry's, Mark Madsen's, and Mike Sweetney's. How many of these under athletic 4's have thrived with the sort of motor Kevin Love has?
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 377
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:34 pm
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:57 pm
A lot of the unathletic bigs that don't make it usually lack skill. Eddy Curry had very little skills as with Madsen and Sweetney, who was just a wide body. Sullinger already has an advanced level back to the basket game. He's very smooth and his footwork is great. He is very skilled which makes up for his lack of athleticism. I compare him to Al Jefferson who isn't all that athletic as well, but one of the better low post players in the league. Kedrick Perkins, although he isn't a great player, is still a solid player while not being much of an athlete and Perkins is a guy I would put Sullinger as on the low end of potential.
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 486
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:03 am
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:35 pm
We must pick the best player available period. If that is Beal so be it. That means i have to make some trade. The way i see it there is no way to get a keeper from the 7th seed in this draft. The only keepers would be Davis, MKG, and Drummont. No way you can have any of them at 7. We will try to trade up. If this fails we will trade our picks for a veteran. And let all the Nelly fans talk nonsense. As for Sulinger he is made for a wonderful carrier in Europe, I hope for his sake that he will realize it soon. As for us there is no place and no role to be played for an undersized defensive nightmare like Sulinger, I had my fill of that kind of big all those years, enough is enough.
Image

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13531
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:37 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:A lot of the unathletic bigs that don't make it usually lack skill. Eddy Curry had very little skills as with Madsen and Sweetney, who was just a wide body. Sullinger already has an advanced level back to the basket game. He's very smooth and his footwork is great. He is very skilled which makes up for his lack of athleticism. I compare him to Al Jefferson who isn't all that athletic as well, but one of the better low post players in the league. Kedrick Perkins, although he isn't a great player, is still a solid player while not being much of an athlete and Perkins is a guy I would put Sullinger as on the low end of potential.

Well, Sweetney was an absolute beast on the block. If he didn't old-Elvis himself, he could easily be a Zach Randolph clone today. Jeff Foster and Mark Madsen fit into that no-skill category you described.

And I'm not trying to discount Sully's game at all; just explaining that striking gold with a Kevin Love type guy is extremely rare. And when you're looking at a guy like Sullinger; a 6'9" center with some jiggle on his belly... You're rolling the dice. That's all I'm saying.

Kendrick Perkins is 7-feet tall. That saves grace for a lot of unskilled professional centers. You can't teach height.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21379
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:13 pm
I'd take Sullinger, he looks that stable and safe of a pick. Could always trade him for a very good SF also. Drafting Beal would be a risk if o trade offer was already organised.

Plenty of options.
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13531
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:01 pm
Oh, again, I think Sullinger will be solid.

I'm merely distinguishing the difference between a solid draft pick that will sufficiently pay off... and Kevin Love.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1129
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:53 pm
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:54 pm
32 wrote:Oh, again, I think Sullinger will be solid.

I'm merely distinguishing the difference between a solid draft pick that will sufficiently pay off... and Kevin Love.


Agreed, I don't thnk Sullinger has Love potential... but then again I never thought Love would be as good as he is.
I am not 100% sold on Love either, as he lacks defensive skills, even though his rebounding is awesome.
I don't think Sullinger will be a starting PF in this league, and from my readings niehter do most. They project him as a Center... one thing is to be an undersized PF, but to be an Undersized Center... he will probably be a backup for his career. Do we spend the 7th pick on a backup Center? Not sold... a lot of other options out there. It wouldn't be horrible though.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"
Image

Image : 2010 - 2011
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21379
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:41 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:
32 wrote:Oh, again, I think Sullinger will be solid.

I'm merely distinguishing the difference between a solid draft pick that will sufficiently pay off... and Kevin Love.


Agreed, I don't thnk Sullinger has Love potential... but then again I never thought Love would be as good as he is.
I am not 100% sold on Love either, as he lacks defensive skills, even though his rebounding is awesome.
I don't think Sullinger will be a starting PF in this league, and from my readings niehter do most. They project him as a Center... one thing is to be an undersized PF, but to be an Undersized Center... he will probably be a backup for his career. Do we spend the 7th pick on a backup Center? Not sold... a lot of other options out there. It wouldn't be horrible though.



Agree, a backup big with the #7 is not good enough when we have a hole at another position. If there is nothing else out there, which there will always be if the fO trys hard enough, then Sullinger would do at #7.
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 377
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:34 pm
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:06 am
Sullinger wouldn't be the best player available at #7, but he'd be the safest. He's a big that will add depth to this front court and he's ready to contribute from day 1. He's no Kevin Love, but he's no Brian Cardinal either. He could be a Carl Landry type player off the bench. I'd much rather take the gamble on Perry Jones or trade down to get Sullinger.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21379
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:27 am
Sullinger would be ideal as a backup big it looks. Pitty he's not a copule of inches taller, he could play backup Center proper, but he'd play some there anyway here. Lee and Bogut will get well over 35mins a game each so that only leaves some 20-25mins total for the backup bigs. Sullinger for close to those full minutes would hold his own.

Still think you have to be looking for getting a major player using the #7 and that really could be what the FO is aiming for. To be honest, I think first thing above all else, is that you look to get a superstar. I know it sounds extreme, but I'd talk to the Orlando FO and Dwight and his agents/people and see if he'd come here or at least what it'd take for him to agree to him, resigned ofcourse. If can't get him, look to get Deron for Curry and #7, if Deron will do sign and trade. Trading up with Charlotte for #2 is a possibility as they are shopping that #2.
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests

cron