Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:33 am
This is seperate from Lottery choice.

Looks like there are a couple possible pickups:
1) Brandon Roy:
Brandon Roy is considering Lakers should he come back. I say he's coming back 4 sure...but to Warriors, where ex-agent Bob Myers is GM Twitter

2) Jason Kidd/Steve Nash or other PG:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/basketball-golden-state-warriors/warriors-talk/Bringing-in-point-guard-a-must-for-the-W?blockID=717616&feedID=2799

3) SF:
http://www.contracostatimes.com/warriors/ci_20746861/golden-state-warriors-thrilled-they-have-seventh-spot

Most of these scenariors would be a sign and trade, presumably for one of their draft picks.
If the warriors do go this way, who would you like ot see them pickup?
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:10 pm
More on Roy

UPDATE: Longtime NBA writer Peter Vecsey predicts via Twitter that Brandon Roy will return to the league next season with the Golden State Warriors.

The Warriors, Vecsey points out, have Roy's former agent Bob Myers as their new general manager, so this would make some sense on paper. It'd also make sense on the court, where Roy could play a reduced role off the bench to spell Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson, and provide some insurance in the event that Curry's injury-prone ankle continues to be problematic.

---
ESPN.com's Chris Palmer tweeted an item regarding the Los Angeles Lakers Wednesday.

First: "Someone who could help the Lakers: Brandon Roy. Based on what I'm told he could be back in the league next year."

Second: "Kobe Bryant's respect for Roy is huge. Saw them getting along great at All-Star 2010."

Roy had to retire in December due to his bad knees and he might try to play again, however his time on the floor would have to be very limited.

Aside from the Lakers, which would allow him to play behind or alongside Kobe, some other options could be the Grizzlies (an offensive counter to the defensive-minded Tony Allen), the Knicks (who could use Roy for a season until Iman Shumpert returns), the Timberwolves (covets an experienced, capable swingman on a talented young team), Wizards (a veteran scorer and shooter to surround, support John Wall) and possibly Utah (could split time with youngsters Gordon Hayward and Alec Burks).
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:21 pm
So Portland doesn't have the rights to Roy?

For the vet minimum, I'd have Roy, what the heck, but realistically, he'd get in the way of development for guys like Rush and Jenkins, so better not pick him up.

The most coveted FA for me is GWallace and he'd fit real good as the starter at SF here. Other than that, if we can't get a backup big in the late draft, I'd like one for quite cheap through FA.

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:57 am
migya wrote:So Portland doesn't have the rights to Roy?

For the vet minimum, I'd have Roy, what the heck, but realistically, he'd get in the way of development for guys like Rush and Jenkins, so better not pick him up.

The most coveted FA for me is GWallace and he'd fit real good as the starter at SF here. Other than that, if we can't get a backup big in the late draft, I'd like one for quite cheap through FA.

Explain to me how you plan on acquiring a player like Gerald Wallace.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:33 pm
Realistically, we aren't going to get much in FA due to our cap. I know we need an SF and a good back up for Stephen Curry because we know we can't rely on him.

I think the best possible option to improve our cap space is to move Dorell Wright and when I mean best, I am mean most realistic. Maybe we could package Andris Biedrens and SA's first and the Hawks second rounder for cash considerations.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:52 pm
Blackfoot says it pretty good. Without or before any other trade that sends more salary than we get back, DWright, the expirer, would have to be traded for a future 2nd rounder or something like that, where no salary is received back in return. GWallace is worth 8 million year, no more, he is too old for me and doesn't exactly play like an allstar anymore. He is a difference maker, rebounder and defender, as well as pretty good scorer and that is a great fit at SF here.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:06 pm
I like that idea Blackfoot...

Maybe a 3 team trade with the Celtics and Wizards could work. Celtics (unless they win it all) should blowup the team. To be honest, they won't really care for the 2012 free agency class, and they (as most teams will) will be focusing on the 2013 free agency class.

So, KG and Allen are free agents. Pierce is getting old. You ship him to Washington (with Beans to get the salaries to match) for Rashard Lewis. Warriors give Boston the first round pick. We get "cash considerations" and a second rounder from boston.

SO Boston has a whole lot of salary space for 2013, where they can spend on Howard/Bynum and Josh Smith (while grabbing a shooter in Kevin Martin). Think of Rondo, Bradley, Martin, Smith, Howard.

Washingon does it because they become instant contenders, with Wall, Nene, Pierce, Blatche (just kidding) and the 3rd overall pick (either Beal or MKG)... that's a great lineup.

Warriors do this to clear cap immediately. Pretty much it.

thoughts?
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:09 pm
I'm still on the idea of signing Terrence Williams as one solution to the SF spot. He's a low-risk option since he'd be pretty cheap. I'm not sure how cheap, but probably less than $2M a year. In order of that to happen, they need to shed some paychecks. Dorell Wright for a 2nd rounder wouldn't be a bad idea. If Terrence Williams matures, then he could be the answer for the Warriors and be a Andre Iguodala type SF. He's athletic, can pass and rebound.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:18 pm
Heck of an idea Crackers, but I think Pierce refuses to go to the Wiz and would only go to a contender. That Wiz lineup is not a contender, looks good on paper, but definately not a contender.

I want GWallace, because I think he is the moat stable as to what he will bring, as well as being not expensive, as 8 million a year is not bad for what he gives. If you're going to make a trade giving up the #7 lottery pick and you are going to spend pretty big money, it has got to be for a proven very good player, in this case a SF is what we need most. Any role player types are just hoping and skewing cheap, which will not get it done.

Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:38 am
BayAreaHoopz wrote:I'm still on the idea of signing Terrence Williams as one solution to the SF spot. He's a low-risk option since he'd be pretty cheap. I'm not sure how cheap, but probably less than $2M a year. In order of that to happen, they need to shed some paychecks. Dorell Wright for a 2nd rounder wouldn't be a bad idea. If Terrence Williams matures, then he could be the answer for the Warriors and be a Andre Iguodala type SF. He's athletic, can pass and rebound.

I'm with you on this one. It could turn out to be a great deal for us, cause Terrence is a low risk - high reward for us. We would still have Jefferson to start, if he can't get his head straight, and he wouldn't cost us much. Then we could search option for dealing Wright and Biedrins...or leave Wright, and move Jefferson and Biedrins (which is a pipe dream, but still worth hoping for).

And if Drummond then falls to us on the draft...we are definitely looking at a bright future for the Warriors. Though, I said I can't see Drummond falling so much, so we could try to move up.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:55 am
migya wrote:Heck of an idea Crackers, but I think Pierce refuses to go to the Wiz and would only go to a contender. That Wiz lineup is not a contender, looks good on paper, but definately not a contender.

I want GWallace, because I think he is the moat stable as to what he will bring, as well as being not expensive, as 8 million a year is not bad for what he gives. If you're going to make a trade giving up the #7 lottery pick and you are going to spend pretty big money, it has got to be for a proven very good player, in this case a SF is what we need most. Any role player types are just hoping and skewing cheap, which will not get it done.

Your probably right migya. Pierce would most likely want to be traded to LA, where he grew up to end his career (it if isn't going to be in boston).
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:11 am
And as a 10+ year vet with the same team, under the old CBA, it's possible that Pierce has a no-trade clause. The idea has merit otherwise. If we can find ANY team willing to take Biedrins for nothing, I'm on board. I just don't know if we can find a team dumb enough to take on THAT much money over a hunch... Maybe Dallas, cause Cuban's such a prick for big-name players and Biedrins was the starting center on the 8th seed that thumped him. But being over the cap, the Mavericks would need to send us something back... Unless they use their amnesty on Shawn Marion, but I can't imagine why they'd make a mistake like that. Biedrins isn't worth a bag of kitty litter.

I've been on the Roy train since the rumor emerged when we hired Bob Myers. Roy may have lost a step of athleticism, but between he, Penny Hardaway, and Larry Johnson, Roy has TREMENDOUS skills that are capable of carving out a role for him in ways that Anfernee and Grandmama couldn't figure out.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:45 pm
Since this is a FA thread I was expecting a lot more realistic proposals. Technically, sign and trades aren't free agent pick ups. I know I've said it many times before, but the only way we can pick up free agents is but by the NBA minimum, MLE, and bi-annual. Anything else is off the table; we're already over the cap.

Here are some free agent names that are more realistic, meaning we actually have a chance of acquiring:

Keyon Dooling - Hard nosed, defensive PG.
Ian Mahinmi - Rotational player with playoff experience.
Marcus Camby - Old, but he still might be able to protect the paint. He get's 9-11 mil right now, but with his age no one is going to want to give him anything more than a year or two contract.
Reggie Evans - Great rebounder that comes off the bench. An older Kenneth Faried.
Matt Barnes - Hits an occasional 3. Enforcer.
DeShawn Stevenson - Another hard nosed defensive player that defends well. Championship experience.
Steve Novak - Elite 3 point range.

I know these guys aren't house-hold names, but these are the people that are within our range. Everyone mentioned in this thread is going to command more money than we can offer. The players that I've mentioned are one diminutional, but what they have to offer does impact the game. If it were up to me I'd bring in Stevenson or Dooling. Both have played in important games and have a way of getting under opponents skin. If we do get to the playoffs, I want to make sure we have players to show that we mean business. Kind of like how Granger got in SheBron's and Wade's face this playoffs. We haven't had someone like that since Barnes left.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:54 pm
To be honest, I don't want anyone else to be picked unless it is trading for a very good SF. The team just doesn't have enough left under the salary cap to do anything significant. In saying that, it'd be almost perfect, but only a dream ofcourse, to trade for GWallace or even Iguodala and then use the MLE to get a player like Camby for a year or two. He'd backup Lee and Bogut very well, but he'll definately look to go to a contender now I think and so he should.

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:42 am
8th ave wrote:Since this is a FA thread I was expecting a lot more realistic proposals. Technically, sign and trades aren't free agent pick ups. I know I've said it many times before, but the only way we can pick up free agents is but by the NBA minimum, MLE, and bi-annual. Anything else is off the table; we're already over the cap.

Here are some free agent names that are more realistic, meaning we actually have a chance of acquiring:

Keyon Dooling - Hard nosed, defensive PG.
Ian Mahinmi - Rotational player with playoff experience.
Marcus Camby - Old, but he still might be able to protect the paint. He get's 9-11 mil right now, but with his age no one is going to want to give him anything more than a year or two contract.
Reggie Evans - Great rebounder that comes off the bench. An older Kenneth Faried.
Matt Barnes - Hits an occasional 3. Enforcer.
DeShawn Stevenson - Another hard nosed defensive player that defends well. Championship experience.
Steve Novak - Elite 3 point range.

I know these guys aren't house-hold names, but these are the people that are within our range. Everyone mentioned in this thread is going to command more money than we can offer. The players that I've mentioned are one diminutional, but what they have to offer does impact the game. If it were up to me I'd bring in Stevenson or Dooling. Both have played in important games and have a way of getting under opponents skin. If we do get to the playoffs, I want to make sure we have players to show that we mean business. Kind of like how Granger got in SheBron's and Wade's face this playoffs. We haven't had someone like that since Barnes left.

+1

We need a backup front court player that can grab rebounds off the bench. Gimmie Camby, Evans, or Barnes and I'm happy.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Return to Warriors Basketball