A SF from Philly

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:20 pm
I wouldn't mind turning Curry into more of a shooter.

Fair point about the salary though. I'd still take it if it meant giving Biedrins the boot.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:32 am
Curry is such a good playmaker though that it would diminish his worth and effectiveness so much. It is good to have two playmakers, but I'd rather have Iguodala play off the ball more and he could well do that, as he can shoot a bit himself and take it to the basket, creating for himself or others. It would have to be that way in fact if the team got Iggy, because Curry has got to playmake otherwise he is tradeable immediately, only being a good shotter and a pretty bad defender.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:31 pm
I agree that he's a good playmaker, but he's a phenomenal shooter.

And I wouldn't mind having the team play more to his strengths. He barely got to gel with Klay and he hasn't even played with Bogut yet, but they are both extremely unselfish so I'd say the team seems to be moving more towards Curry being counted on for scoring. And if McGuire is inserted as the starting 3 (over RJ and DWright), that would be very Iggy-esque in itself too.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:23 pm
Missing the Foyle days Hm?? Always have to play 4 against 5 on offence? Is something wrong on having 5 players who can play at both ends of the floor? Do we always have to mix players that can do one job and nothing else to create a starting line-up? I like McGuire. In our flawed team i was the first to say start him to insert some defence to this soft team. But this was for now(before the Trade). My plan for the future should be having 5 players that can play good offence AND good defence. To have a starter that is a perfect shooter but a horrible defender, or a lock down defender who can't score outside his dunking range is no good for me.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:26 pm
Who are you talking about?
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:17 pm
Dominic McGuire. He's the only one that falls into that category.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:28 am
Wait, so McGuire is Foyle now??
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:30 am
32 wrote:Wait, so McGuire is Foyle now??

He means McGuire can't score... he is one sided...
Great defender, but why can't we acuire a great defender who can also score.
That is why some want to trade for AI
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:44 am
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:
32 wrote:Wait, so McGuire is Foyle now??

He means McGuire can't score... he is one sided...
Great defender, but why can't we acuire a great defender who can also score.
That is why some want to trade for AI

That's where my confusion came in; because earlier, I was clamoring for an Iggy trade and TRON took the opposite stance. So I'm confused by his sudden comment regarding players that go both ways. Unless I'm reading it wrong, Thompson is the offensive player that plays slow-footed defense and McGuire is the lock-down defender with no shooting range... Making the obvious choice of versatility Andre Iguodala.

Change of heart, TRON? Care to explain?
Role Player
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:35 pm
No change of heart. Thompson is a rookie. It's early to say that he will never be a complete player. I just pointed out that McGuire had a role to play in this year roster but looking for the future i would keep him only for 11 or 12 slot in my team. From all the current SF we have the one i would like to keep for my bench is Rush. Why? He is good at both ends of the floor. Not as good defender as McGuire is but a lot better in the offence. It would be perfect to land Iguodala and is very doable right now. My position from the start was get Igy but not by trading Thompson. Never understood why you all keep comparing him with Klay. Veteran against rookie, SF against SG and why i can't have both? Our team was flawed because we had 3 players that could play offence but not defence Monta. Curry, Lee a player mediocre in everything in Wright, a centre good on D and useless on offence, a PF that was good defender but bad on offence plus couldn't rebound in Udoh and a SF lock down defender with no offence in Mcguire. Now the situation going forward is a lot better. If we get Igy we will be a serius threat in the west. Oh and the shooter that can't play defence is Curry. Criticising the rookies has no meaning.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:18 pm
Now with the #7 pick, the team can get Iggy without giving up Klay, with Philly accepting ofcourse, but value wise a deal can be done. #7 and either RJ or AB should be enough for Iguodala, as Philly has Young and Turner who can playe the SF position and are looking to start for them. The #7 pick could be used to fill a number of needs for the Philly team, like a PF. Think they'd be willing.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:48 pm
Iggy's a $15 million man, so Philly will need to take Jefferson AND Dorell Wright AND send a trade exception to make that deal work.

I say Jefferson instead of Biedrins for reasons of depth. Should that trade go through, we're set at all positions 2 deep:

PG - Curry / Jenkins
SG - Thompson / Rush
SF - Iguodala / McGuire
PF - Lee / Tyler
C - Bogut / Biedrins

Plus an MLE, the Spurs first rounder, and 2 second rounders.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:02 pm
A good lineup, definately plauoff one, maybe even top 5 in the West, but man, high in salary as well, probably close to top 10 in the nba for next season and maybe not quite up to that salary with production and ability to win.

I'm sounding like a pessimist I know, but Iguodala's play this season is really a concern. He still is young and shouldn't regress, but looks like he already has a bit. Still, for the #7 and RJ, throw in DWright for salary if needed, I'd do it, as it is an obvious upgrade, but when in one year, when Iguodala will only have one year left on his contract, I'd want him to resign for no more than 10 million a year and for four if not five years, he is young enough. This all would depend on his performance next season ofcourse. If he was as good for us that one season as he was say this season, fitting in well and the team having wins and improvement due to his presence, I'd pay him 10 million a year.

Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:27 pm
Why would Philly get Jefferson? AB is a 26 year 7footer they don't have. SF they have and don't know what to do with them, why take that 9 million for a player who will be 3rd option in his position. Biendrish may remember who he was if he changes team.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:09 pm
Yes, but don't forget, the Warriors hold a substantial amount of leverage with a #7 pick in a talented draft. Philadelphia could theoretically turn it into whatever position they want; including a big like Sullinger. And the Warriors are taking back a much bigger contract from the 76ers, so they'd really have very little say on which bad contract they'd be taking back. Biedrins and Jefferson are both owed another 3 years at $9 million, so it comes down to which player the Warriors want to hang onto (which I believe is Biedrins). The Sixers will want an additional pick from the Warriors (likely, Atlanta's early second rounder), which I don't mind giving them.

Assuming Philly takes Sullinger with the lottery pick (preparing for Brand to expire in another season), they'd become:

PG: Jrue Holiday / Lou Williams / Jodie Meeks
SG: Evan Turner / Dorell Wright
SF: Thaddeus Young / Richard Jefferson
PF: Elton Brand / Sam Young
C: Spencer Hawes / Jared Sullinger

Naturally, at 6'9", we can assume that the hefty-but-short Sullinger and the soft-but-tall Hawes could ideally form a front court in Philly for years to come after Brand expires. Plus, the get depth at the wings with the additions of Wright and Jefferson, which will soften (albeit, not replace) the blow of losing Iguodala.

Stranger things have happened.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball