Warriors Close to Moving

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5875
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 5:05 am
Location: Brisbane
Poster Credit: 32
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:24 am
Yes it's a 1 team town the Bay Area.

But given the choice, I'd probably join the dark side and throw my 20 years of NBA Warriors/fandom down the drain because well.. I'm PROakland.

I'm sorry If you guys don't see eye to eye with me on this hypothetical scenario. But I am entitled to the right to support a 2nd team if they ever moved here. But lemme CROSS THAT BRIDGE when I come to it.. At the moment. I'm still DUBS FAN.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2425
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:45 am
It's your choice and your right. I'm more for a team in San Francisco, because I believe that the team would benefit more from it, and it would make it more competitive, which is the biggest thing here, really.

Though, in my mind, it's Warriors first, where ever they are, and location second. Of course, I wouldn't love the team if they moved it to...I don't know, Las Vegas or something like that, but San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose...any of those places, those would still be MY Warriors.

I live on the other side of the world, true, but I loved Bay Area when I was there, and it is part of the reason I love the Warriors. They can lose me as a fan only if they move a team across the state somewhere.

I just get the opinion that with some of you it's like San Francisco vs. other parts of the Bay...and I don't get that. Bay is a Bay...and Golden State was always a Bay Area team (minus Philadelphia thing).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not thinking of you less of fan because of it, I just can't see it that way.
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:08 am
PAWNO wrote:I don't think Oakland could support a 2nd team in the Bay Area.

But I do believe a 2nd Bay Area franchise in San Jose could be viable, I'm guessing the threat of a team moving to San Francisco & Joe Lacobs Golden State becoming the ugly step sister of the San Francisco Kings/Hornets was a pre-mediated decision to move & tap into those corporate dollars before someone decided to move to the BAY AREA & become the SF franchise.

The Warriors games in the city, really does kill the whole notion of a family friendly event on any night of the week (imo) expecting a Mum to drive over the Bay Bridge with her kids after school to catch the 730pm game & meet the father who works in town could phase out a family type crowd for maybe a more young adult/hipster crowd who live in the city & get everywhere via public transport.

I hope if Larry Ellison was ever to buy a franchise and moved it to the Bay Area (San Jose/Oakland) then he wouldn't partake in the grubby/gutless attitude of the current San Francisco Giants trying to prevent Lew Wolff moving to a territory that use to be the Athletics area (I know, I know baseball farm territories.. whatever)

So whilst I agree that the Warriors are the Bay Area team & that they will go gangbusters with corporate backing in the city.. I still believe Oakland is the geographically middle of the Bay Area & surrounding future growth corridors to be the location which is accessible from all corners of the Bay Area.

PS: Im still going to support the warriors, but if Larry Ellison does bring me this 2nd team to the Bay Area then I am going to Bada Hobbes ass & make my own forum 8)

Regarding the "family friendly commute"... The door swings both ways. Maybe a mother in Oakland will have a tougher time driving a pile of kids to the city, but hasn't that been the case for SF locals for 40 years? Sorry, Oak Town, but you dudes have enjoyed the easy commute for nearly half a century. I don't have an abundance of sympathy because I've been driving that commute for over 10 years and, frankly, it's not that big of a deal.

And the notion of Larry Ellison bringing another team to the Bay was effectively destroyed after the announcement that the Warriors are moving to SF. Ellison dreamed of tapping the San Jose market, but if Golden State is 40 minutes away in SF, that can't happen. 2 Bay Area teams is one thing, but you can't justify having them both in the West Bay. Ellison can move a team to Oakland, but thus far he's shown no interest in that.


Guybrush wrote:I just get the opinion that with some of you it's like San Francisco vs. other parts of the Bay...and I don't get that. Bay is a Bay.

:D beautifully stated!
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1129
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:53 pm
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:08 am
8th ave wrote:I guess I'm the only one here from Oakland so here's my take on the whole situation.

My biggest gripe with the move has to more with timing than anything. Had this been done 5 years or something, I don't think I'd give a rat's ass. The thing is that there is new ownership, new front office, new players, new regime, and a new big man that I'm really excited about. Things are finally starting to look up and just about when they do, I get news that the team is moving to San Francisco. It kind of takes away from the feeling that this is "my team".

Here's another thing you probably don't realize: even though it isn't the "Oakland Warriors", people from Oakland still claim them as their team. I don't know if you're a Sharks fan or not, but imagine if they sucked for the entire length you followed them, and things started to look up, and the team gets shipped to San Francisco? It takes a toll on me personally because I've watched them for so long and I told myself that it was going to pay off one day but before it did, the team moved.

And yes, I totally understand that it's just across the bridge, and that's cool, but it takes away from the "it's mine" feeling. I'm still going to be a fan. I'm not irrational enough to just disown them, I've invested too much time and interest, but to belittle the fans that are upset is kind of, for a lack of a better word, mean and inconsiderate. Most of them are just upset and are expressing it in ways that don't make much sense, but most of them are probably just like me.

Think about it. Who the fuk is going to be like, " Oh, no it's okay guys. It's just across the bridge!" Hell nah. The more natural reaction is to be sad, upset, and angry that your team is moving away. If this kind of **** happened to the Kings, Giants, Raiders, Niners, A's, or any other local team, I'd have more empathy towards the city they were leaving.

At the end of they day, nothing we do is going to change it. I'll embrace it sooner or later, but right now, it's fukking sad.


+1. I very much like your argument, and can understand and even agree with it a little bit more now. If I think about how it might feel to go from having a concept that the team represents you, and the area you grew up or lived in, and now they are moving, I can understand your hurt (as a fan).

It is hard for me to agree with becuase I am from SJ, and I want to be able to go to the best venue possible. I have had many dates, and family outings on Pier 39, and that is just a short walk down fro the new site. I can see myself going with the family to enjoy a complete day, going to the pier, then finishing up at the game. For me, it is a win/win.

So, I think it is fair to ask those from Oakland to be open minded that this is still their team, and it is still the team for the other Fans in the Bay, and as Guybrush pointed out, in other places in the world. At the same time I think it is fair as you pointed out, to try to be understanding and considerate for those who ARE losing a piece of their relationship to the team. I will no longer argue or ask any Oaklanders to get over it, but will just keep saying that I hope it is a move for the best for all the fans. (until the pier breaks in an earthquake and goes into the water along with the 900 thousand fans inside)..... :-X

I hope you all agree, no mater what side of the bay you are on.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"
Image

Image : 2010 - 2011
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:16 pm
I don't question Oakland's reprehension of this move, I simply don't wanna agree with any untrue arguments. Is it unfortunate and probably annoying for the locals of Oakland? Absolutely. And I don't question the notion that Oakland is upset that they are no longer the custodian of the team. It's a little bump in the road but once you get over the commute, it's completely bearable.

And that being said, I can't understand the level of frustration over the idea that this commute is an impossible obstacle (mostly because I've been on the back end of it all my life). Again, I'm sorry those of you who have been able to hop in your ride and roll down the street half an hour before tip off are gonna have to leave 2 hours early for a 7:15 game (like I have my entire life). But, again, if I can do it, you can do it.

And I can't be sympathetic towards those who might feel less loyal towards a team they've sworn allegiance to simply because it has moved to another part of the Bay. Really?

It's the old Niners-Raiders thing; for some reason, Oakland has this need to create a cross-Bay rivalry. I (and all of my friends with loyalties to the Giants and Niners) have no quarrel with Oakland team's, but we all have heard or witnessed A's fans that are all to quick to rip on the Giants, likewise with Raiders fans about Niners faithful. What's the deal, East Bay? Why so much animosity towards the capital of the Bar Area?

As a San Jose native, I was never bred to despise any other part of the Bay, so this honestly confuses me...
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5875
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 5:05 am
Location: Brisbane
Poster Credit: 32
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:24 am
32 wrote:
It's the old Niners-Raiders thing; for some reason, Oakland has this need to create a cross-Bay rivalry. I (and all of my friends with loyalties to the Giants and Niners) have no quarrel with Oakland team's, but we all have heard or witnessed A's fans that are all to quick to rip on the Giants, likewise with Raiders fans about Niners faithful. What's the deal, East Bay? Why so much animosity towards the capital of the Bar Area?



Wow.. Painting the Giants/Niners fans as the victim.

Classy 32.

I'll get over the Warriors moving, Don't get me wrong. I think I might leave this subject Oakland>>SF closed until the arena is built & the Uhaul trucks are pulling up to the Oracle. :agrue:

BTW.. Wonder what's going to happen with the training facility in Oakland City???
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5875
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 5:05 am
Location: Brisbane
Poster Credit: 32
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:34 am
32 wrote:And the notion of Larry Ellison bringing another team to the Bay was effectively destroyed after the announcement that the Warriors are moving to SF. Ellison dreamed of tapping the San Jose market, but if Golden State is 40 minutes away in SF, that can't happen. 2 Bay Area teams is one thing, but you can't justify having them both in the West Bay. Ellison can move a team to Oakland, but thus far he's shown no interest in that.


Guybrush wrote:I just get the opinion that with some of you it's like San Francisco vs. other parts of the Bay...and I don't get that. Bay is a Bay.

:D beautifully stated!


Also 32, needed to pull you up on this from the other day.

San Jose isn't in the WEST BAY.. It's the South Bay... In Fact San Jose CBD is more East then Oakland (but further South)

You can think of it as the West Bay because of the territorial rights of your baseball team, but fact of the matter is San Jose is a whole different market to San Francisco & it's the reason why San Jose council is lobbying the MLB hard to bring the Athletics there.

If a 2nd NBA team was to arrive in the Bay Area, I'd rather then be in San Jose as opposed to Oakland because one of the positive things about the Warriors moving to San Francisco is it should help lure free agents. A 2nd NBA Team based in San Jose would help that 2nd team be more competitive (compared to Oakland)
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:53 am
PAWNO wrote:
32 wrote:And the notion of Larry Ellison bringing another team to the Bay was effectively destroyed after the announcement that the Warriors are moving to SF. Ellison dreamed of tapping the San Jose market, but if Golden State is 40 minutes away in SF, that can't happen. 2 Bay Area teams is one thing, but you can't justify having them both in the West Bay. Ellison can move a team to Oakland, but thus far he's shown no interest in that.


Guybrush wrote:I just get the opinion that with some of you it's like San Francisco vs. other parts of the Bay...and I don't get that. Bay is a Bay.

:D beautifully stated!


Also 32, needed to pull you up on this from the other day.

San Jose isn't in the WEST BAY.. It's the South Bay... In Fact San Jose CBD is more East then Oakland (but further South)

You can think of it as the West Bay because of the territorial rights of your baseball team, but fact of the matter is San Jose is a whole different market to San Francisco & it's the reason why San Jose council is lobbying the MLB hard to bring the Athletics there.

If a 2nd NBA team was to arrive in the Bay Area, I'd rather then be in San Jose as opposed to Oakland because one of the positive things about the Warriors moving to San Francisco is it should help lure free agents. A 2nd NBA Team based in San Jose would help that 2nd team be more competitive (compared to Oakland)

Fair point; we're absolutely south bay. But in terms of commute? AT&T Park is an hour away with traffic, Oracle is the same but the traffic is WAY worse in the east bay and it takes longer. That said, I see SJ as sort of a halfway point. It's too close to BOTH Oakland and SF to sportingly support another market. Either way, you're shamelessly stepping on toes.

I'm glad you were amused by my Niners-Raiders analogy, pawndog hahaha! :mrgreen:
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image

All Star
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 1:57 am
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:56 am
I only hate the giants because they are a scumfuck organization who is trying to run my A's out of town. I am fine with the Niners and I am fine with my Warriors moving. But there is a reason why A's fans do not like the Giants.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5875
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 5:05 am
Location: Brisbane
Poster Credit: 32
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:50 pm
Blackfoot wrote:I only hate the giants because they are a scumfuck organization who is trying to run my A's out of town. I am fine with the Niners and I am fine with my Warriors moving. But there is a reason why A's fans do not like the Giants.


I totally agree with this.

My support for the Athletics moving to San Jose, transcends my support for Oakland sport teams.

32 rightfully so pointed out that the A's & Raiders of the last 10 years have had attendance issues. For the survival of my teams i know that a move to San Jose is important. Otherwise the A's will be sold and the team could end up in Oregon or somewhere out of state to where the green & gold doesnt belong.

Raiders... Umm. I dont care where they play. Im originally a LA Raider fan & sharing a stadium in Santa Clara or keep playing in the dump which is the Coliseum doesnt really phase me because the NFL is a revenue sharing cash cow & they have 10 years of broadcasting money available for a new stadium not really even being a issue for my team until the nnext lockout.

I guess mostly i have been critical of this warriors move is because basketball is played on weeknights & I truely am skeptical about parking issues in the city. This move to SF will just change the demographic of people going to games but the true fans will find a way to go. (As a armchair critic in Oz who might only go to 1 game a year. I should be the one bmost likely to benefiet as i can watch a Durant type free agent sign with the warriors now that they are in a marquee market)
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:18 pm
Blackfoot wrote:I only hate the giants because they are a scumfuck organization who is trying to run my A's out of town. I am fine with the Niners and I am fine with my Warriors moving. But there is a reason why A's fans do not like the Giants.

They're not trying to run the A's anywhere; they just don't want the A's hopping all over their sloppy seconds.

Its a "stay on YOUR side of the bed" thing. SJ is Giants territory; there are next to no A's fans here and Campbell (a suburban of SJ) had a book written about it a few years back touting it as America's last baseball town, so there are plenty of baseball people; just no A's fans.

As a San Jose native, I can personally tell you that I support the Giants attempts to retain our location as territory (it makes me feel like they recognize our sports fan base as a viable heartbeat of the greater Bay Area family). I also wouldn't switch my allegiances to the A's even if they were allowed to invade my city. The A's are trying to do what the Warriors are doing with one small difference: this side of the Bay already has a baseball franchise.

I admit to getting saucy about the A's, just because when I was in high school I'd get a lotta razzing about "when was the last time YOU GUYS won a world series lol!!!"... But obviously, we Giants fans don't hear that tune too often anymore. :wink:
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image

All Star
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 1:57 am
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:32 pm
32 wrote:
Blackfoot wrote:I only hate the giants because they are a scumfuck organization who is trying to run my A's out of town. I am fine with the Niners and I am fine with my Warriors moving. But there is a reason why A's fans do not like the Giants.

They're not trying to run the A's anywhere; they just don't want the A's hopping all over their sloppy seconds.

Its a "stay on YOUR side of the bed" thing. SJ is Giants territory; there are next to no A's fans here and Campbell (a suburban of SJ) had a book written about it a few years back touting it as America's last baseball town, so there are plenty of baseball people; just no A's fans.

As a San Jose native, I can personally tell you that I support the Giants attempts to retain our location as territory (it makes me feel like they recognize our sports fan base as a viable heartbeat of the greater Bay Area family). I also wouldn't switch my allegiances to the A's even if they were allowed to invade my city. The A's are trying to do what the Warriors are doing with one small difference: this side of the Bay already has a baseball franchise.

I admit to getting saucy about the A's, just because when I was in high school I'd get a lotta razzing about "when was the last time YOU GUYS won a world series lol!!!"... But obviously, we Giants fans don't hear that tune too often anymore. :wink:


It would be totally fine with me if the A's did not stop the Giants from going to Florida. We gave up that area to the Giants to save them.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:42 pm
Blackfoot wrote:
32 wrote:
Blackfoot wrote:I only hate the giants because they are a scumfuck organization who is trying to run my A's out of town. I am fine with the Niners and I am fine with my Warriors moving. But there is a reason why A's fans do not like the Giants.

They're not trying to run the A's anywhere; they just don't want the A's hopping all over their sloppy seconds.

Its a "stay on YOUR side of the bed" thing. SJ is Giants territory; there are next to no A's fans here and Campbell (a suburban of SJ) had a book written about it a few years back touting it as America's last baseball town, so there are plenty of baseball people; just no A's fans.

As a San Jose native, I can personally tell you that I support the Giants attempts to retain our location as territory (it makes me feel like they recognize our sports fan base as a viable heartbeat of the greater Bay Area family). I also wouldn't switch my allegiances to the A's even if they were allowed to invade my city. The A's are trying to do what the Warriors are doing with one small difference: this side of the Bay already has a baseball franchise.

I admit to getting saucy about the A's, just because when I was in high school I'd get a lotta razzing about "when was the last time YOU GUYS won a world series lol!!!"... But obviously, we Giants fans don't hear that tune too often anymore. :wink:


It would be totally fine with me if the A's did not stop the Giants from going to Florida. We gave up that area to the Giants to save them.

Gave up what area? The Giants moved here in the 60's and the Florida thing was early 90's, if I'm not mistaken. What did the A's give up to save the Giants?
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image

All Star
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 1:57 am
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:05 pm
32 wrote:
Blackfoot wrote:
32 wrote:
Blackfoot wrote:I only hate the giants because they are a scumfuck organization who is trying to run my A's out of town. I am fine with the Niners and I am fine with my Warriors moving. But there is a reason why A's fans do not like the Giants.

They're not trying to run the A's anywhere; they just don't want the A's hopping all over their sloppy seconds.

Its a "stay on YOUR side of the bed" thing. SJ is Giants territory; there are next to no A's fans here and Campbell (a suburban of SJ) had a book written about it a few years back touting it as America's last baseball town, so there are plenty of baseball people; just no A's fans.

As a San Jose native, I can personally tell you that I support the Giants attempts to retain our location as territory (it makes me feel like they recognize our sports fan base as a viable heartbeat of the greater Bay Area family). I also wouldn't switch my allegiances to the A's even if they were allowed to invade my city. The A's are trying to do what the Warriors are doing with one small difference: this side of the Bay already has a baseball franchise.

I admit to getting saucy about the A's, just because when I was in high school I'd get a lotta razzing about "when was the last time YOU GUYS won a world series lol!!!"... But obviously, we Giants fans don't hear that tune too often anymore. :wink:


It would be totally fine with me if the A's did not stop the Giants from going to Florida. We gave up that area to the Giants to save them.

Gave up what area? The Giants moved here in the 60's and the Florida thing was early 90's, if I'm not mistaken. What did the A's give up to save the Giants?



http://www.athleticsnation.com/2012/4/1 ... ef-history

"Why territorial rights? Oakland did SF a favor when they were trying to build a new stadium in the early 90’s and were considering the South Bay. Territorial rights were created in the hope that it would give the Giants the public votes to support a new South Bay ballpark. The Magowan group bought the rights that were intended as a gift." And you know the rest.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:05 pm
Blackfoot wrote:
32 wrote:
Blackfoot wrote:
32 wrote:
Blackfoot wrote:I only hate the giants because they are a scumfuck organization who is trying to run my A's out of town. I am fine with the Niners and I am fine with my Warriors moving. But there is a reason why A's fans do not like the Giants.

They're not trying to run the A's anywhere; they just don't want the A's hopping all over their sloppy seconds.

Its a "stay on YOUR side of the bed" thing. SJ is Giants territory; there are next to no A's fans here and Campbell (a suburban of SJ) had a book written about it a few years back touting it as America's last baseball town, so there are plenty of baseball people; just no A's fans.

As a San Jose native, I can personally tell you that I support the Giants attempts to retain our location as territory (it makes me feel like they recognize our sports fan base as a viable heartbeat of the greater Bay Area family). I also wouldn't switch my allegiances to the A's even if they were allowed to invade my city. The A's are trying to do what the Warriors are doing with one small difference: this side of the Bay already has a baseball franchise.

I admit to getting saucy about the A's, just because when I was in high school I'd get a lotta razzing about "when was the last time YOU GUYS won a world series lol!!!"... But obviously, we Giants fans don't hear that tune too often anymore. :wink:


It would be totally fine with me if the A's did not stop the Giants from going to Florida. We gave up that area to the Giants to save them.

Gave up what area? The Giants moved here in the 60's and the Florida thing was early 90's, if I'm not mistaken. What did the A's give up to save the Giants?



http://www.athleticsnation.com/2012/4/1 ... ef-history

"Why territorial rights? Oakland did SF a favor when they were trying to build a new stadium in the early 90’s and were considering the South Bay. Territorial rights were created in the hope that it would give the Giants the public votes to support a new South Bay ballpark. The Magowan group bought the rights that were intended as a gift." And you know the rest.

Wait wait wait...

Am I reading that wrong, or is that an A's blog advertising the logic as "since the A's acknowledged in 1990 that San Jose was well within San Francisco's territorial boundaries as an alternative to moving, the Giants in 2012 should do the same and claim that San Jose is now apart of the Athletics territory"... Almost as we-scratched-your-back-you-scratch-ours thing?

(tell me if I'm getting the gist incorrectly because the author copped that the piece was something of a long read and I admittedly only read until he got to the point, so correct me if I missed a change in direction that I would have gotten by reading the whole piece)

Because, frankly, I disagree with that logic.

Just because we - in California - acknowledge that Massachusetts is apart of New England doesn't mean they're obligated to do the same for us. And I don't view it as foul play; there are plenty of fruitful East Bay locations to bring a stadium to. San Jose, as a local member of the community, is very heavily committed to the Giants. I'm sure the Giants know this as well. San Jose (the capital of Silicoln Valley) is a big cash crowd for them, too. Of course they're trying to hang onto us.

I represent the exception, not the rule. As an active sports fan, my loyalties aren't questionable. But fringe fans and bandwagon fans comprise a lot of sports equity (and Man Jose is never short on johnny come lately douchebags that wanna root for a winning team). The Giants damn sure don't want to lose a giant crop of this Bay Area community. Mark my words, the Bay Area's capital may be San Francisco, but San Jose clocks in at 2nd or 3rd in that market. And I don't blame the Giants for wanting both cities in their stable.

But for me, personally... I don't really care if the A's move here. It's AL ball; I don't watch DH's anyway. But like I said, I understand why the Giants care.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron