Warriors Close to Moving

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:23 pm
Time to pay for that booing. Hate to say it but i told you so.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:27 pm
TRON wrote:Time to pay for that booing. Hate to say it but i told you so.

I doubt that has anything to do with it. Lacob went on air though and said that San Fransisco actively pursued the Warriors and that Oakland did not try to keep them. I don't know if that is true or not, but he has been pretty open and honest with his talks thus far and really have no reason to think otherwise.

Edit: http://www.nba.com/warriors/sf

Good watch.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:59 am
Location is great, in my opinion, and it's going to look amazing. Definitely a world-class venue.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.elemen ... _HiRes.jpg
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:45 pm
Looks like our D-League team is moving to Santa Cruz next season too...good move for sure!
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:11 pm
http://www.ibabuzz.com/warriors/2012/05 ... land-fans/

relevant
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:30 am
I posted this in the other moving thread, but this one seems to be gathering more speed so here's my two cents:

32 wrote:First off, thank you for posting that clip. Indeed, this Warrior fan found the entirety of the program to be interesting and I hope East Bay fans (specifically, Oakland locals) will engage in discussion about this.

Unfortunately, as a proponent of the other side, I disagree with the premise of this video. Sort of strikes me as a camcorder bomb on a day where clearly everyone interrogated was caught off guard and unprepared to answer these - contextually speaking - unrelated questions.

With all due respect to Mr. Ignacio De La Fuente, everyone else in this video seemed confused and unimpressed with the accusations that Warriors ownership will have an additional $150 million of debt to pay to the city of Oakland. In fact, Mr. Lacob, Commisioner Stern, and Mayor Lee all obviously took offense to the idea that the Warriors would financially back door the city of Oakland en route to an exodus to San Francisco.

In my humble opinion, Oakland (and East Bay fans in general) are making way too big a deal about this. The Warriors aren't disowning their fans in Oakland; they're simply upgrading their venue to a state of the art facility; quite frankly, something Oakland has been solidly behind with the stipulation that the arena is built in their backyard. But at the end of the day, let's not forget: this is the "Golden State" Warriors; not the "Oakland" Warriors (or the "San Francisco" Warriors, to that effect).

For the past 40 years, Oakland has been the custodian of the Bay Area's basketball team. In doing so, it seems by the reaction of the locals this past week, they took unrightful ownership of a team that - plainly speaking - did not belong to them in the first place; it belonged to all of us in the Bay.

Returning to my previous point about Oakland overreacting; really, whats being pined over here (besides an abstract suggestion of economic uptick that the Warriors NEVER provided, save for the employees of the Oracle Arena for 41 games a year) is a measly commute and a few digs at the "wine and cheese" demographic in San Francisco not being as rowdy as the "common, blue collar folk" in Oakland.

Are you kidding me?

For the past 20 years, my family has held season tickets in Oakland. We hail from San Jose. In fact, I'd wager the vast majority of folks that we sat with and watched games side by side amongst have admitted to being from the West Bay. If location is an advantage, what does it tell you that East Bay fans only comprised around 50% of the arena crowd WHILE IT WAS LOCATED IN THE EAST BAY? At least half of the revenue being garnered by these home games was being shelled out by the very crowd this new stadium caters to, but now that ownership rewards us with a more convenient commute in a more relevant (and representative) area of the Bay, Oakland locals are calling foul play? Shame on you people. This isn't a move to New Orleans or Memphis or OKC; it's a short hop acrossed the territory. To act as though you are being robbed of something is spoiled and petty.

And regarding the point about the loss of East Bay fans in the shuffle of arenas... If polling and statistics tell us anything, then the only thing that'll be in trouble is Club 200. The rowdy, electric, breathing backdrop in the lower bowl will live on; as it does in the Shark Tank, as it does in Candlestick, as it does in AT&T Park. While the Black Hole is unique in its own way, it doesn't sell out the Coliseum. Go ask the A's and the Raiders how much better their crowds are than their San Francisco counterparts. Again, blind, factually void claims being trumpeted out of the East Bay. How, exactly, do you people see yourselves as better fans than the rest of us?

The truth is, Oakland needs to address the reason as to why sports teams are looking elsewhere in the first place. Like it or not, the Warriors are giving you people the ultimate "it's-not-you, it's-me" treatment right now. You can either cry in your bedroom for 3 weeks eating tubs of ice cream or you can hit the gym and show your ex why she was wrong to leave you in the first place.

But this frantic squealing of "it's not fair!"... Really, it just makes the East Bay look bad.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:41 pm
Nice post 32. I am also from San Jose, and feel like it is unfair for people to say the warriors turned their backs on their Oakland fans, when in reality the fan base is the whole bay area. The way I look at it, if there was a better spot in Oakland, then they should move there. The city shouldn't matter, it is OUR team (Oakland, SF, SJ, all other bay cities), what should matter is the venue. The overall experience. Just because they are moving to different location doesn't mean those in Oakland can't be fans.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:21 pm
32 wrote:I posted this in the other moving thread, but this one seems to be gathering more speed so here's my two cents:

32 wrote:First off, thank you for posting that clip. Indeed, this Warrior fan found the entirety of the program to be interesting and I hope East Bay fans (specifically, Oakland locals) will engage in discussion about this.

Unfortunately, as a proponent of the other side, I disagree with the premise of this video. Sort of strikes me as a camcorder bomb on a day where clearly everyone interrogated was caught off guard and unprepared to answer these - contextually speaking - unrelated questions.

With all due respect to Mr. Ignacio De La Fuente, everyone else in this video seemed confused and unimpressed with the accusations that Warriors ownership will have an additional $150 million of debt to pay to the city of Oakland. In fact, Mr. Lacob, Commisioner Stern, and Mayor Lee all obviously took offense to the idea that the Warriors would financially back door the city of Oakland en route to an exodus to San Francisco.

In my humble opinion, Oakland (and East Bay fans in general) are making way too big a deal about this. The Warriors aren't disowning their fans in Oakland; they're simply upgrading their venue to a state of the art facility; quite frankly, something Oakland has been solidly behind with the stipulation that the arena is built in their backyard. But at the end of the day, let's not forget: this is the "Golden State" Warriors; not the "Oakland" Warriors (or the "San Francisco" Warriors, to that effect).

For the past 40 years, Oakland has been the custodian of the Bay Area's basketball team. In doing so, it seems by the reaction of the locals this past week, they took unrightful ownership of a team that - plainly speaking - did not belong to them in the first place; it belonged to all of us in the Bay.

Returning to my previous point about Oakland overreacting; really, whats being pined over here (besides an abstract suggestion of economic uptick that the Warriors NEVER provided, save for the employees of the Oracle Arena for 41 games a year) is a measly commute and a few digs at the "wine and cheese" demographic in San Francisco not being as rowdy as the "common, blue collar folk" in Oakland.

Are you kidding me?

For the past 20 years, my family has held season tickets in Oakland. We hail from San Jose. In fact, I'd wager the vast majority of folks that we sat with and watched games side by side amongst have admitted to being from the West Bay. If location is an advantage, what does it tell you that East Bay fans only comprised around 50% of the arena crowd WHILE IT WAS LOCATED IN THE EAST BAY? At least half of the revenue being garnered by these home games was being shelled out by the very crowd this new stadium caters to, but now that ownership rewards us with a more convenient commute in a more relevant (and representative) area of the Bay, Oakland locals are calling foul play? Shame on you people. This isn't a move to New Orleans or Memphis or OKC; it's a short hop acrossed the territory. To act as though you are being robbed of something is spoiled and petty.

And regarding the point about the loss of East Bay fans in the shuffle of arenas... If polling and statistics tell us anything, then the only thing that'll be in trouble is Club 200. The rowdy, electric, breathing backdrop in the lower bowl will live on; as it does in the Shark Tank, as it does in Candlestick, as it does in AT&T Park. While the Black Hole is unique in its own way, it doesn't sell out the Coliseum. Go ask the A's and the Raiders how much better their crowds are than their San Francisco counterparts. Again, blind, factually void claims being trumpeted out of the East Bay. How, exactly, do you people see yourselves as better fans than the rest of us?

The truth is, Oakland needs to address the reason as to why sports teams are looking elsewhere in the first place. Like it or not, the Warriors are giving you people the ultimate "it's-not-you, it's-me" treatment right now. You can either cry in your bedroom for 3 weeks eating tubs of ice cream or you can hit the gym and show your ex why she was wrong to leave you in the first place.

But this frantic squealing of "it's not fair!"... Really, it just makes the East Bay look bad.

I guess I'm the only one here from Oakland so here's my take on the whole situation.

My biggest gripe with the move has to more with timing than anything. Had this been done 5 years or something, I don't think I'd give a rat's ass. The thing is that there is new ownership, new front office, new players, new regime, and a new big man that I'm really excited about. Things are finally starting to look up and just about when they do, I get news that the team is moving to San Francisco. It kind of takes away from the feeling that this is "my team".

Here's another thing you probably don't realize: even though it isn't the "Oakland Warriors", people from Oakland still claim them as their team. I don't know if you're a Sharks fan or not, but imagine if they sucked for the entire length you followed them, and things started to look up, and the team gets shipped to San Francisco? It takes a toll on me personally because I've watched them for so long and I told myself that it was going to pay off one day but before it did, the team moved.

And yes, I totally understand that it's just across the bridge, and that's cool, but it takes away from the "it's mine" feeling. I'm still going to be a fan. I'm not irrational enough to just disown them, I've invested too much time and interest, but to belittle the fans that are upset is kind of, for a lack of a better word, mean and inconsiderate. Most of them are just upset and are expressing it in ways that don't make much sense, but most of them are probably just like me.

Think about it. Who the fuk is going to be like, " Oh, no it's okay guys. It's just across the bridge!" Hell nah. The more natural reaction is to be sad, upset, and angry that your team is moving away. If this kind of **** happened to the Kings, Giants, Raiders, Niners, A's, or any other local team, I'd have more empathy towards the city they were leaving.

At the end of they day, nothing we do is going to change it. I'll embrace it sooner or later, but right now, it's fukking sad.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:10 pm
I guess I just don't understand the lack of ownership that you guys are feeling: it's still your team and it's still in your territory. Yes, it's being relocated to San Francisco, but geographically speaking (on a national scale): it's just moving down the street. Things could have been a lot worse in terms of a move (ask Seattle). I don't have a problem with the 49ers moving from San Francisco to Santa Clara, and from what I've heard out of SF locals, neither do many of them.

Joe Lacob stated two very important things on the Tom Tolbert Show two days ago: (1) that winning is the absolute top priority and (2) that several unnamed (for reasons of litigation) free agents declined to even speak with the Warriors, their agents dismissively stipulating: "talk to us when you move to San Francisco."

We all understand the hardships that teams based in Salt Lake City, Mineapolis, and Sacramento face when attempting to court marquee free agent talent. The unfortunate truth is that Oakland (as it currently stands) is pretty close to (if not entirely situated in) that category. The past few years, we've watched our team shell out $80 million for 6 years of David Lee, $50 million over 5 for Corey Maggette. They made Monta Ellis an $11 million per year guy just so they could retain him.

And we've stood by while Dallas, Chicago, Miami, New York, and Los Angeles feasted on bargain veteran talent, interest from nearly every impending free agent of note, getting Nate Robinson type talent for veteran minimum salary (and the only reason Robinson gave us that kind of notice is because he's a local kid). The fact is, the Bay Area is the 4th biggest market in America. Dallas and Miami should be well behind us in terms of attracting talent. But, like it or not, we San Jose locals and you Oakland locals need to reconcile ourselves to the fact that San Francisco is our heavyweight hitter in this market. And from the outside looking in, it's a way more legitimate headquarters for a first class organization.

I'm not saying the city of Oakland or its people are in any way, shape, or form less valuable than any other member of the Bay Area family, but to pretend that we don't all take a backseat to the shining light of SF just frankly isn't true. The money is there. The coastal real estate is there. And the reputation is there. Again, nothing against Oakland personally. But if we're going to headline the needlepoint of NBA facilities, we might as well put our best foot forward.

In the end, ownership wouldn't be making this move if the ending result weren't going to bolster the status of this team and therefore lead to many more wins, free agents, and bargain veterans.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:32 pm
This move helps the Warrior franchise worth and more corporate sponsorship. Does this really help the on court product? Maybe a little but this announcement would be better if they had a good winning product to back it up. The promises of Warriors making the playoffs from ownership and not keeping it has hurt their credibility a little for now. There is still a long way to go for this ownership group to build good equity and it starts by making good decisions on the basketball court. Almost every beginning of Warriors season had optimism that players on the roster or player that the front office adds will bring better results, but along they way injuries or lack of talent has hurt the team playoff chances. Things are looking bright as usual, but there needs to be good results soon or else it going to feel like the past few years. There optimism that they going to get the new arena, but it will be interesting to see if they really have what it takes to over come the many obstacles in building that great new arena in San Francisco.
All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:58 pm
32 wrote:I guess I just don't understand the lack of ownership that you guys are feeling: it's still your team and it's still in your territory. Yes, it's being relocated to San Francisco, but geographically speaking (on a national scale): it's just moving down the street. Things could have been a lot worse in terms of a move (ask Seattle). I don't have a problem with the 49ers moving from San Francisco to Santa Clara, and from what I've heard out of SF locals, neither do many of them.

Joe Lacob stated two very important things on the Tom Tolbert Show two days ago: (1) that winning is the absolute top priority and (2) that several unnamed (for reasons of litigation) free agents declined to even speak with the Warriors, their agents dismissively stipulating: "talk to us when you move to San Francisco."

We all understand the hardships that teams based in Salt Lake City, Mineapolis, and Sacramento face when attempting to court marquee free agent talent. The unfortunate truth is that Oakland (as it currently stands) is pretty close to (if not entirely situated in) that category. The past few years, we've watched our team shell out $80 million for 6 years of David Lee, $50 million over 5 for Corey Maggette. They made Monta Ellis an $11 million per year guy just so they could retain him.

And we've stood by while Dallas, Chicago, Miami, New York, and Los Angeles feasted on bargain veteran talent, interest from nearly every impending free agent of note, getting Nate Robinson type talent for veteran minimum salary (and the only reason Robinson gave us that kind of notice is because he's a local kid). The fact is, the Bay Area is the 4th biggest market in America. Dallas and Miami should be well behind us in terms of attracting talent. But, like it or not, we San Jose locals and you Oakland locals need to reconcile ourselves to the fact that San Francisco is our heavyweight hitter in this market. And from the outside looking in, it's a way more legitimate headquarters for a first class organization.

I'm not saying the city of Oakland or its people are in any way, shape, or form less valuable than any other member of the Bay Area family, but to pretend that we don't all take a backseat to the shining light of SF just frankly isn't true. The money is there. The coastal real estate is there. And the reputation is there. Again, nothing against Oakland personally. But if we're going to headline the needlepoint of NBA facilities, we might as well put our best foot forward.

In the end, ownership wouldn't be making this move if the ending result weren't going to bolster the status of this team and therefore lead to many more wins, free agents, and bargain veterans.

VERY well put.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:09 pm
fullmetalx wrote:This move helps the Warrior franchise worth and more corporate sponsorship. Does this really help the on court product? Maybe a little but this announcement would be better if they had a good winning product to back it up. The promises of Warriors making the playoffs from ownership and not keeping it has hurt their credibility a little for now. There is still a long way to go for this ownership group to build good equity and it starts by making good decisions on the basketball court. Almost every beginning of Warriors season had optimism that players on the roster or player that the front office adds will bring better results, but along they way injuries or lack of talent has hurt the team playoff chances. Things are looking bright as usual, but there needs to be good results soon or else it going to feel like the past few years. There optimism that they going to get the new arena, but it will be interesting to see if they really have what it takes to over come the many obstacles in building that great new arena in San Francisco.

And as always, Warrior skepticism abounds.

You're not wrong. The team must definitely legitimize the faith of the fans before anything else. Lacob, to his credit, at least appears to be trying his hardest. Results notwithstanding, that's all we can realistically ask of the guy. He's shown a willingness to spend the money and play his part as an easily recognizable owner. Sometimes, an injury bug and a couple lottery balls make all the difference. That's not an excuse, just an illustration of how early in the season a whole year can go down the drain. The Warriors never really stood a chance with their talent to start last year. It would have taken a lot of luck to get them into the playoffs.

But, pertaining to the topic, I don't think it can be argued that free agents have typically favored San Francisco over anywhere else in the Bay... Or nearly anywhere else in the left side of the country. Besides, where exactly has the bar been set? It won't be hard for San Francisco to accumulate a more impressive free agent track record than Oakland, seeing as the Warriors have made a living as sellers and losers in the free agent market the past 40 years.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 32
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:33 am
I don't think Oakland could support a 2nd team in the Bay Area.

But I do believe a 2nd Bay Area franchise in San Jose could be viable, I'm guessing the threat of a team moving to San Francisco & Joe Lacobs Golden State becoming the ugly step sister of the San Francisco Kings/Hornets was a pre-mediated decision to move & tap into those corporate dollars before someone decided to move to the BAY AREA & become the SF franchise.

The Warriors games in the city, really does kill the whole notion of a family friendly event on any night of the week (imo) expecting a Mum to drive over the Bay Bridge with her kids after school to catch the 730pm game & meet the father who works in town could phase out a family type crowd for maybe a more young adult/hipster crowd who live in the city & get everywhere via public transport.

I hope if Larry Ellison was ever to buy a franchise and moved it to the Bay Area (San Jose/Oakland) then he wouldn't partake in the grubby/gutless attitude of the current San Francisco Giants trying to prevent Lew Wolff moving to a territory that use to be the Athletics area (I know, I know baseball farm territories.. whatever)

So whilst I agree that the Warriors are the Bay Area team & that they will go gangbusters with corporate backing in the city.. I still believe Oakland is the geographically middle of the Bay Area & surrounding future growth corridors to be the location which is accessible from all corners of the Bay Area.

PS: Im still going to support the warriors, but if Larry Ellison does bring me this 2nd team to the Bay Area then I am going to Bada Hobbes ass & make my own forum 8)
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 32
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:37 am
PS: I do understand that the SF location will be a premier venue for multiple public transport options.

But families don't like waiting for a BART on a Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs night to drag their kids back to the East Bay at 10/1030pm at night.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:28 am
The only thing that people need to understand about this is, representing. That is, Golden State Warriors were representing the Bay Area in the NBA, and will continue to do so. They didn't go to other state, south Cali, or anywhere else pretty much...they didn't abandon anyone. They are still the same team, practically based between San Francisco and Oakland now. They needed a new location, and got a new one that is on the side of San Francisco, but it is still bridge away from Oakland.
They weren't Oakland Warriors, and they decided to go to San Fran and change their name to San Francisco Warriors...they didn't take anything away from Oakland fans, they just changed location, and it was a small move. Heck, they could have moved somewhere else in Oakland that would be more apart from Oracle than this new one in San Francisco is going to be. I don't see how anyone is betrayed here...we needed a new arena, we got a good location for a state of art kind of building...and yet, it's not good somehow.
We are all Golden State Warriors, no matter on which side of the bridge the arena is. Guys from East Bay, you're not less of a fan now than you were before...and the team is still a Bay team, your team, as much as it was before.

Maybe not Pawno's, cause he's looking for a first team to come close to Bay, to jump on the wagon. ::razz:
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball