Warriors Close to Moving

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:32 pm
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/79536 ... soures-say

I am going to support them regardless, but this seems kind of shitty considering how well Oakland has supported them despite the incompetence at ownership for the last 17 years.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:10 am
I'll be supporting the 2nd team in San Jose if Larry Ellison buys a franchise & moves it to the South Bay (as rumours persist)

I don't like this move (only because what Blackfoot hinted at) Oakland has been faithful & I fear the class of warriors fan will drop to be fair weathered & if based in San Francisco we might not own the title "Best fans in the NBA" I'm not saying people in San Francisco are less passionate, but maybe the demographics will change where Warriors games become more of a BE SCENE event as opposed to die hard basketball fans.
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:42 am
This hasn't been a secret here. Lacob has always wanted to move to SF because there is more revenue to be had there, as well as the fact he is convinced that he will have an easier time attracting marquee players to come here if they are playing in SF and not Oakland.

Pawno you do make a good point about it being a place to be seen and not a place filled with die-hard fans. I am not a Giants fan, but when they played at Candlestick that place was all die-hard Giants fans. AT&T park is definitely not like that. That being said the stadium is 1,000 times nicer.

I think the majority of Warrior fans who attend games come from all over the Bay Area but the downtown SF location could have the same effect AT&T did. I would feel bad for any long-time East Bay fans, but for me living on the peninsula, it would be a lot easier getting to games, and the increased revenue/location would give the team a better chance to succeed. I am also not a huge fan of the current arena. The seating area is okay but the concourses are too narrow and it's hard to get walk around or get food when it's crowded. As long as they don't price the casual fan out of the new arena I am all for it.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:56 am
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:41 pm
hobbes wrote:This hasn't been a secret here. Lacob has always wanted to move to SF because there is more revenue to be had there, as well as the fact he is convinced that he will have an easier time attracting marquee players to come here if they are playing in SF and not Oakland.

Pawno you do make a good point about it being a place to be seen and not a place filled with die-hard fans. I am not a Giants fan, but when they played at Candlestick that place was all die-hard Giants fans. AT&T park is definitely not like that. That being said the stadium is 1,000 times nicer.

I think the majority of Warrior fans who attend games come from all over the Bay Area but the downtown SF location could have the same effect AT&T did. I would feel bad for any long-time East Bay fans, but for me living on the peninsula, it would be a lot easier getting to games, and the increased revenue/location would give the team a better chance to succeed. I am also not a huge fan of the current arena. The seating area is okay but the concourses are too narrow and it's hard to get walk around or get food when it's crowded. As long as they don't price the casual fan out of the new arena I am all for it.

I have no doubt that it would help attract marquee free agents & the arena will be very nice for events pre/post game.

But if a 2nd team ever moves to the Bay Area & it's based in Oakland/San Jose I will have no trouble disowning this franchise & jumping aboard the team in the East Bay.

I guess I can't really be critical and jump to conclusions as SF/OAKLAND is a 1 team basketball town.. But after games at Candlestick & being in town for when the SF GIANTS won the World Series I can tell you that I despise the fair weathered fan from the city. (i'm sure there is idiot raider/athletic fans) ... But I am just waiting to speak to the fair weathered 2017 SF Warriors fan who tells me their favourite player was Latrell Hardaway & Mitch Mullin was awesome at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics playing alongside Michael Jordan in the Cream Team)
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:00 pm
8th ave wrote:Image

LMAO! My thoughts exactly. It might not be as bad as Toby coming back..but I don't think it would be a good change either.
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:55 pm
I have never see the team as "Oakland's Team", so I don't see the connect.
To me they need to move because that arena is old and needs improvement.
Now if they move the another spot in Oakland, to SF, Santa Clara, San Jose, I don't care as long as they stay in the Bay Area.
It has been a bay area team and should stay a Bay Area team.

Maybe this is becuase I live in San Jose, but I never went to go see the Oakland Warriors, I went to see the Bay Area Warriors.
Also, it's not like they are going somewhere new, they were in SF before going to Oakland, so to say they are betraying someone, to me, is silly.

I really think of it like they are rewarding the fans by providing them with a nicer more modern place to visit...
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:28 pm
I honestly don't think the fan situation will change at all. After all Oakland is what, 15 minutes away from SF? It's pretty much in the same general area. If you were an athlete, would you come to a major city of San Francisco or a negatively viewed/crime ridden (in the media) city of Oakland. Plus, I see the Warriors as the Bay Area team and what better city to represent the Bay Area than the city of San Francisco?
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:30 am
10am press conference today. You can watch live on warriors.com.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:38 am
fuk...
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:36 am
I LOVE this idea.

Saying most Warriors fans in the Oracle come from Oakland is like saying most senators come from Washington DC. The Warriors fans come from all over; including San Jose and San Francisco where a lot of the money is situated. Look at the Oakland teams that have other franchises in the market: the A's and the Raiders have notorious attendance issues (especially when they're bad). You know what Bay Area team had great turn outs, even when they sucked? The San Jose Sharks. A HUGE percentage of these "hardcore fans who have been filling up the Arena during lean years" have been people like me and my family from San Jose.

Let's be frank: the Oracle is one of the oldest stadiums being used in the NBA and if Oakland was being proactive about upgrading their sporting arenas, NONE OF THEIR TEAMS (A's, Warriors) WOULD BE FLIRTING WITH OTHER PARTS OF THE BAY. I'm sorry, but I have zero sympathy here for people that believe "Oakland has taken care of the Warriors through meager seasons". Sorry, it was all of us, not just Oakland.

Plus, STATE OF THE ART arena on the water next to AT&T Park?? Dude, what a great fan experience that will be! I can't wait!
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:16 am
You think we'll keep the same name/logo, etc? :?:
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:21 am
Name will stay the same I would think.

I agree with 32 that this is a great move but I am little unsure Pier 30/32 is the right locale. I love the waterfront idea but the amount of $$$ to make those piers feasible and the amount of red tape the W's will have to go through could be huge hurdles.

There is a small part of me that thinks that whole thing would sink into the bay if there was a giant earthquake.

I like the idea of building it next to AT&T park better, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's what ends up happening.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:12 pm
shalik wrote:You think we'll keep the same name/logo, etc? :?:

Yeah, I agree with Hobbes, name would most likely stay the same, though, they might change logo again. Just guessing they would do it because it would be a new start or something in that manner.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:23 pm
Name stays for two reasons:

1, it's unique. The "Golden State" Warriors are the only franchise in the big 3 American sports to be named after a nickname rather than a city or state.

2, because of all the Oaklanders. This way, they can continue to sell East Bay fans by claiming its still "the whole Bay Area's team" instead of simply SF or Oakland's squad.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball