A SF from Philly

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:29 pm
I liked Iggy alot before this season, I'll admit that, but that guy just isn't doing that much right now and I wouldn't give up Klay for him, let alone with other players going with him to get Iguodala. The team needs to get a starting SF without trading any of the other starters.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:37 pm
I agree, but even Warriors fans going to Washington State with a signed Mychael Thompson jersey would agree that Iggy >>> Klay.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:39 pm
I'm not so sure about that. Iggy is a playmaker and is at his best by far when he has the ball in his hands running things. Curry is similar in that regard and with that trade, either Curry or Iggy would not be the playmaker and so would lose a fair amount of effectiveness. I do think Curry could play off the ball a bit, being a good shooter, but that would turn him into a Mario Chalmers of Miami type and he is much better than that. Losing Klay would mean that curry would be the only starter capable of hitting the outside shot real well, another loss for the team. Keeping Klay and getting Iggy for say, #7 and RJ (though to be honest I'd probably want to keep the #7 pick over Iguodala right now), would mean that the team would have Iggy, the playmaker but slasher and great athlete, as well as two great outside shooters in the backcourt. Much better setup if the team was to get Iguodala.

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:56 am
Wow trading Klay would be ridiculous. He could've very well been the ROY if Monta was traded before the season started.
I'll take Iggy over Prince but either would be upgrades over what W's have now at SF.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:32 am
To be honest, probably the most sure bet at getting a very good starting SF is to try and trade up to the top 3. It would cost alot, like the #7 and likely Klay, though I think instead giving Jenkins and Tyler, who both played well late in the season, plus a future 1st rounder if needed should be enough. I'd do that if that trade could be done just after the draft, with the team that picks MKG.

I actually think that obviously the Bobcats will pick Davis (this is going by the order that teams finished the season) and the Wiz would go for Drummond, having Nene at PF, as bigs are harder to get. Reckon NO would go Robinson, going with another big. Maybe I'm wrong but I think the bigs will go first. Cleveland themselves might go a big. Either way, trading up to get MKG is probably the best thing if it doesn't cost too much.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:24 am
Could you please all stop proposing trading Klay? It is simply insane to trade Klay for anyone in this league right now and i mean ANYONE. He is the best rookie this team had since Webber. At 6.7 he gives size and 3pt shooting right from the start. He is hard working and willing to develop his post moves and most importantly his defence. Not to mention he is a down to earth guy and not some primadona. I considering him a future All star. How can you ever think of trading him? We all cry out for our bad draft picks and when finally we get one right we want to trade him next year? Not to mention that we have 3 players under contract that we don't want. And 3 rookies that we don't want, to go with them.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:38 am
TRON wrote:Could you please all stop proposing trading Klay? It is simply insane to trade Klay for anyone in this league right now and i mean ANYONE. He is the best rookie this team had since Webber. At 6.7 he gives size and 3pt shooting right from the start. He is hard working and willing to develop his post moves and most importantly his defence. Not to mention he is a down to earth guy and not some primadona. I considering him a future All star. How can you ever think of trading him? We all cry out for our bad draft picks and when finally we get one right we want to trade him next year? Not to mention that we have 3 players under contract that we don't want. And 3 rookies that we don't want, to go with them.

I hear you, TRON, and I totally agree...

... But Iguodala? C'mon, bro. I know we all love Klay Thompson, but Andre Iguodala is ALREADY the level of player we're HOPING Klay Thompson BECOMES...

In the last month of the season (where stats are skewd in his favor), Klay averaged 18.5 points, 4 boards, 3 assists. Iggy averaged 12, 6, and 6 the whole season. And it was among his worst scoring years ever. Again, I LOVE Klay. But he's our 4th best player, coming off a rookie season, and some people wouldn't consider dealing him for Philly's franchise player? That, to me, is the definition of homerism.
Role Player
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:19 pm
Iguodala is a SF not a SG, we have 5 bench class SF and you all want to trade Klay for Iguodala ? And how that improves us? The secret of success is to trade for iguodala AND keep Klay or any other. Not to mention that you just compared the stats of a proven pro with our rookie. Will there even be comparison in the future? Reading many post i get the impression that we are contenters in desperate need of one last piece to start taking championships and you are all proposing "win now, don't care about afterwords" trades. Klay may be the SG of our team for the next 13-14 years. Yes we need a SF but if there is one player untradable in this team is Klay on potential alone. The choice is obvious. Trade up in draft and get Gilchrist or Barnes. You then have your paint full with players of the present and your back-court with players of the future. This is a recipe for a team that will be in the playoffs for many years to come. In some of them we will have our chances for the ring. Especially if the young perimeter players jell well together and develop.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:14 pm
I'm all in favor of drafting our way to the top, but there are no guarantees in that route.

Also, I didn't compare stats; I compared Klay's best month to Iggy's whole season. If we isolated Iggy's best month, we'd get a guy averaging 17 points, 7 rebounds, and 6 assists. I was trying to illustrate Klay's value as a #1 option... Although I doubt he'll put anything close to that up next year (I'm guessing 12 PPG throughout the sophomore slump). And it won't be his fault, exactly: you can't expect him to get as many shots with Curry, Lee, and Bogut in tow. But if that is the case, than categories besides shooting become more valuable to the team; categories like rebounds, assists, steals... All of which, Iggy (undisputably) delivers better than Klay.

I agree with you; we shouldn't trade Thompson unless the right deal comes along. All I'm saying is that we would be foolish to veto an Iggy-for-Klay trade. 29 other teams have fans that would say so. Literally, the only crowd putting Klay Thompson in Andre Iguodala's league right now are Warriors fans.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:15 pm
Klay's earned that value though. Iguadala is a good player but his contract is enormous + he's almost 30 I think. This isn't putting all our eggs in the basket of potential, because KT is already a pretty good player who's only gonna get better. It's not like he's Brandan Wright or Anthony Randolph. Yeah at this moment it'd be hard to reject a Klay for Iggy trade, but the goal is to keep the nucleus of this team together and add to it. Iguadala's consistent up and down trade value is something that W's could capitalize on later without giving up KT. Klay Thompson should be on this team. He's got a complete game and the mentality of someone who could be an allstar, help the team win, and he could've easily been the ROY with a full season of playing time.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:21 pm
TRON wrote:Could you please all stop proposing trading Klay? It is simply insane to trade Klay for anyone in this league right now and i mean ANYONE. He is the best rookie this team had since Webber. At 6.7 he gives size and 3pt shooting right from the start. He is hard working and willing to develop his post moves and most importantly his defence. Not to mention he is a down to earth guy and not some primadona. I considering him a future All star. How can you ever think of trading him? We all cry out for our bad draft picks and when finally we get one right we want to trade him next year? Not to mention that we have 3 players under contract that we don't want. And 3 rookies that we don't want, to go with them.

Woh, think you like Klay alot, but you are blowing him out of proportion right now. Credit for the love though.

Klay has many holes in his game right now. He is a great shooter for a rookie, that's it. He doesn't score in any other way that well yet. His defense is pretty bad, as is the rest of his game, like his passing. He should only get better, but he has to or he is just a role player that is surrounded by possibly three very good players. His shooting is valuable and very effective next to Curry, Lee and Bogut, making him a great fit right now.

Iguodala doesn't have as good an outside shot as Klay and that can be pretty big if you were to replace Klay with him right now, but everything else, Iggy always did better, not just now. I wouldn't trade Klay for Iggy, because that still leaves a hole at SF or sG, if Iggy was to be the starting SF instead. I do think either him or Turner are gettable this offseason and either one could be had cheaper than before.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:43 am
Yeah man you can say I'm a Klay Thompson fan :)
It's early in his career, but I'm pretty much on board.
Not seeing the same deficiencies you are. I think his passing and defense are above avg. actually. He makes good decision with the ball, especially for a rookie, great patience, let's plays develop. Defense - check out his footwork, it's fundamental. And his instincts and shot-contesting is pretty good also. His D is average at worst. He's got the complete game capability imo, even if he's known as more of a shooter. I think he's got the intangibles and skills to be very good / near all star or an allstar. Not Mike Dunleavy Jr. intangibles... Dumbleavy was soft. I think Klay is one of those players who will be one of the top competitors on the court. Think the dude just has the makings of a BALLER and W's got a steal.

some good highlights here...

Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:06 am
See rockyBeli? It's much nicer, AND easier if I we can look at those videos without having to open another tab and go to youtube. :mrgreen:

Just fixed it so it could be seen from here.
Role Player
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:48 am
Thanks rockyBeli you saved me a lot of typing.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:11 pm
I agree that Klay is a great outside shooter (even already, he's among the best).

I dunno if I agree that his passing and defense are bad, per say... I'd say his defense is better than expected and his passing is heady-but-unspectacular (kinda like Dunleavy).

His outside shot is the only part of his game that is better than Andre Iguodala.

I'm not discounting that; shooters are extremely difficult to come by. But I believe Iggy's the better overall asset and if I were approached with a swap (salaries not-withstanding), I'd take Iggy in a heartbeat.

But hey. Its likely not gonna happen, so I hope you're right and Klay outperforms Iggy next year!
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball