A SF from Philly

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:34 pm
Turner might have more "potential" than Thompson, but Klay put up superior numbers in his rookie year versus Turner in his 2nd:

EVAN TURNER

9.4 PPG, 5.8 RPG, 2.8 APG,
0.6 SPG, 0.3 BPG, 1.4 T/OPG
44.6% from the field, 22.4% for three, 67.6% from the line
In 26:21 MPG

KLAY THOMPSON

12.5 PPG, 2.4 RPG, 2.0 APG
0.7 SPG, 0.3 BPG, 1.6 T/OPG
44.3% from the field, 41.4% for three, 86.8% from the line
In 24:22 MPG

Turner is a far superior rebounder and can be a terrific playmaker in spurts, but Thompson is a much, much purer shooter and put up better traditional defensive numbers in less time on the floor. Did I mention it was his rookie season while Turner had already been in the league for a year? I'll take Thompson all day.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:56 pm
I just think with the way Turner has performed in some games, he could blow up and be a very good player, allstar caliber. I'd like to take him and try him out. He is cheap somewhat right now and the risk is small, depending what we have to give to get him.

migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:53 pm
32 wrote:Turner might have more "potential" than Thompson, but Klay put up superior numbers in his rookie year versus Turner in his 2nd:

EVAN TURNER

9.4 PPG, 5.8 RPG, 2.8 APG,
0.6 SPG, 0.3 BPG, 1.4 T/OPG
44.6% from the field, 22.4% for three, 67.6% from the line
In 26:21 MPG

KLAY THOMPSON

12.5 PPG, 2.4 RPG, 2.0 APG
0.7 SPG, 0.3 BPG, 1.6 T/OPG
44.3% from the field, 41.4% for three, 86.8% from the line
In 24:22 MPG

Turner is a far superior rebounder and can be a terrific playmaker in spurts, but Thompson is a much, much purer shooter and put up better traditional defensive numbers in less time on the floor. Did I mention it was his rookie season while Turner had already been in the league for a year? I'll take Thompson all day.

I think both players are almost equal, but I give Thompson a slight edge over Turner right now. It will be interesting to see how Thompson handle his sophomore season, because there are going to be high expectations for this team next season. Although Thompson done well in his rookie season, I don't put too much stock in what he did this late in the season because there really nothing to play for. I look forward in what Thompson going to do in the first half of next season where other teams are going to attack his weakness.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:38 pm
Oh, sure, they're about equal as of now... But I can't exactly imagine a scenario (outside of a point forward role on the Lakers) where Turner can blow up all of his potential. Alongside a spread-offense big (Hawes) coupled with a post threat (Brand), an athletic slasher (Iggy), and a couple streaky shooters (Williams, Holiday), Evan Turner was unable to take the reigns of the offense and create consistently. He needs the ball in his hands to be effective on offense and there are several problems with that:

Ideally, you want Turner to be more efficient with the ball in his hands; his A/TO ratio isn't impressive and since he doesn't have any kind of shooting range, teams have been successful sagging off of him and playing him on the pass/drive. If he developed a corner 3 or an elbow jumper off a screen, he would be much more attractive but thus far in the league, my main gripe with Turner happens to be my favorite thing about Thompson: shooters open up the offense for EVERYONE and if you can't shoot it takes speed, size, or a genius basketball IQ to create offense for others. Turner's trade is as a catalyst; an Iguodala starter set, if you will. But Iggy can be a dangerous scorer (which opens up the rest of his game). Thus far, Turner has been lackluster (at best) in a driver's seat role.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:11 pm
Turner has been disappointing, but he certainly hasn't had much of a chance his first two year and I've read coach Doug Collins is mostly to blame for not using properly. Turner has had moderate minutes, not as much as a starter and not as few as a primary backup. He has had enough chance to do better I think, but Philly playes by committe in that they don't have one player that stands out and do with five or six guys contributing almost every game.

The thing that gets me about Turner is not just his ability to score well in some games (as he hasn't scored big enough in enough games), but his rebounding. He is an amazing rebounder for his size and for a SG/SF, which is what he is in Philly. On the Warriors, as the starting SF for example, he'd make this the best rebounding frontline in the nba right now, and rebounding is the biggest weakness of the team right now along with defense. He defends well also, so he provides in the other weakness. He is a pretty good passer as well ad he has shown that in most games where he has played well, though not nearly enough as I said earlier.

I'd have him, but not for Klay right now, though I'd be tempted to, as Klay looks like a shooter to me and not much more and you can find those almost anywhere. Turner is more of an allround player and those are more scarce. Still, the thing is that Klay has already done well here, Turner would be an unknown until he played here.

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:21 pm
Curry
Klay
Lee nice stats ---> http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/395 ... gAajZNbK5_ for his 'contract' ... Lee's earning it. Boozer, Elton Brand? Now those are bad contracts.
Bogut

= untouchable

Yeah I said it :)

Seriously, unless it's Rondo for Curry or some incoming star player, I want to see this team play and gel together before thinking about trading anybody. No need to breakup a talented team with a lot of complimentary players. The old Sac Kings team, that's what I see. Need to add to this nucleus via the draft or some creative way. If it's any mention --- was playing some NBA 2K12 and I destroyed the Heat with this new look Warriors team lol. Some areas of need that I noticed were athleticism and a slasher type player (ya Monta took some of that with him). So definitely want to look for some athleticism in the draft. If in some miraculous way the Warriors could get Iguadala without giving up any of the core 4, that'd be a great player to fit in with this team.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:06 am
The lineup will likely have to stay as they are, at least for next season, because Curry's value is as low as it has ever been and Lee is also not that highly valued, at least from what I've read and really, I find that hard to believe as his stats are quite good and about right for the money he makes. He has held his won I think.

The only stars that can be attained, as always is the case, are those that are leaving there current team anyway, either because there is disharmony there or they have stated they want to leave soon. Right now, Deron and Dwight are the biggest stars I can think of that are likely not going to stay where they are. Deron is a free agent, so harder to get him in a trade, but Dwight is in a real rocky situation in Orlando right now and I think more gettable than ever and as cheap as he ver has been as well. I wouldn't go for him though unless he resigns before he is traded for.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:16 am
I think David Lee is a nice role player that put up good numbers, but the thing is the team he is on lose more than they win. He hasn't been on a 500. team and this coming season will be pivotal of his worth, because this team has high expectation of going to the playoffs and doing well. There is a good center and point guard on the Warriors, so there no excuse for David Lee to put average numbers. He can prove that he is worth the contract by putting up numbers,help the team get into the playoffs, and doing well in the playoffs against good competitions.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:52 am
Certainly will be a different situation for Lee. I think his numbers on this roster if it is mostly healthy will undoubtedly drop. If he managed to firstly above all else fit in with the rest, especially Bogut, then that's a big plus. Then, if his numbers are say, 16pts, 9rebs, 50FG% a game, I'd be happy with that and say he has earned his money. That is, most importantly of all, that the team wins, with a healthy roster ofcourse. If not, then Lee's likely the first one I want gone.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:59 am
fullmetalx wrote:I think David Lee is a nice role player that put up good numbers, but the thing is the team he is on lose more than they win. He hasn't been on a 500. team and this coming season will be pivotal of his worth, because this team has high expectation of going to the playoffs and doing well. There is a good center and point guard on the Warriors, so there no excuse for David Lee to put average numbers. He can prove that he is worth the contract by putting up numbers,help the team get into the playoffs, and doing well in the playoffs against good competitions.

Yeah, but you're throwing out the baby with the bath water. Remember: just cause Lee hasn't been on a particularly talented team yet doesn't mean he's a born loser. The guy is clearly NOT apart of the problem. Also, people bring up the fact that he "gets numbers" rather dismissively. Lee isn't an invisible stat-stuffer; he was a big reason the Warriors won when they did (especially this season). He's not gonna drag any team by himself to a championship, but he's definitely not a bad piece to have and, as you said, he's got a C and a PG now for (literally) the first time in his career, so he should thrive next year.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:45 pm
Philly isn't giving up Turner now with his recent surge in the playoffs. If GSW trades for anybody on Philly it will be Iggy. He's like the Monta of the Sixers. Fan favorite, good player, but in order to create playing time for an up and coming player in Turner, who needs the ball in his hands to succeed he's gotta move. It will be a step back in the short term for philly, but should reap long term benefits.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:36 pm
Well Turner just had another bad game, so he certainly isn't looking that good and I have my doubts still, more with each bad showing actually. I'd take Iggy, but his contract is too much. If he was on 10 million a year, I'd look to get him for the #7 pick and either AB or RJ, but as it is, he gets too much to get, UNLESS they take both AB and RJ and give us another player, likely one they don't want.

Iguodala himself is not doing that good, nothing like in past years and so he is not looking like a real solution to be starting SF here. I'd rather have Prince from Detroit right now actually, another SF that'd be a good fit.

Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:17 am
There is no way, not a single parallel universe, where Prince should be taken before Iggy. You're saying how Iggy is not scoring as much, but he is still doing more on every other part of the game, while Prince is regressing completely. And even in his prime, Prince was up to Iggy's knees, at best. He was just lucky to have better supporting cast around him during those good years in Detroit, so it made him look better overall. Iggy played on a bad team, and always got them nice amount of wins, even when they were bad, now that they have some other options, he doesn't shoot so much, but is still a vital part of the team, heart of it, if you wish. If Turner steps it up, then they might consider trading Iggy. Otherwise, I don't see that happening.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:26 am
Tayshaun Prince is one disgruntled player over there on an awful, shadow of what the were when he arrived there, Pistons team. He is still a good defender and though he'll never be that good of a scorer, he is a perfect role and glue player. Thing about him, which is why I mention him, is that he isn't that expensive, though he does have three more years left on his contract. He is too old now though to be a longterm, moreso because he isn't going to give alot. Still, could be a nice option for a good three or four years.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:14 pm
If we can swing my page 1 deal for Iggy, I'm on board. Don't want him for Bogut, Lee, or Curry... But if we can package anything around Klay that would convince Philly to pull the trigger, I'm on board.

Don't want Turner, don't want Prince.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball