Our 30th (from Spurs) pick.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:20 pm
I know we already have 2 threads about the draft. One about the 1st pick and the other about the 7th should we get it. I was thinking how fuked up it would be if we finished with the 7th worse record and still lose our pick in the lottery which got me to thinking : why aren't we talking about the late 1st round pick that we acquired from San Antonio?

Right now, Chad Ford has us picking some kid out of St. Paul. I don't know much about him except that he's a small forward. If it were up to me, I think I'd be interested in taking a big man. I hope he proves me wrong, but I'm not sold on Tyler just yet. Here are a couple of 4's and 5's that are in the 15-30 range that I'd love as additions.

Andrew Nicholson - Played all 4 years in college so I'm inclined to say that he's NBA ready. He plays defense and blocks shots. What sets him apart from other bigs is that he's able to knock down shots. Has a very good mid to long range jumpers.

Patrick Young - A very electrifying big man. Seen some of his dunks and dude can jump out of the gym. On top of that, he plays good defense as well. I was watching his interview with draft express and from what i can tell, he's a very humble and intelligent young kid who's willing to do whatever the team asks him to. I would welcome him as an addition as well.

I'm kinda mehhh on Meyers Leonard and Mason Plumlee, but if the 2 names I mentioned earlier was taken off the board I'd pick up one of these big men. Both plays defense, block shots, rebound, and pass very well for their positions.

What say you guys?

EDIT - grammer
Last edited by 8th ave on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:16 pm
Nice thread topic and I understand why you created it.

Nice two big players you mentioned. I admit I haven't studied the draft prospects too much, just a few who should be lottery picks. I do think the team should look for a good big with the Spurs late 1st rounder, even the 2nd rounder. There seems to be quite a few good bigs in this draft and maybe some will be available late as well.

It has been real nice seeing Jenkins and Tyler play well the last week or so since they've been given a fair amount of court time. Gives options, but I do think look for another big guy in the draft as I said above. Really has to be a big that plays defense pretty well, offense is a plus, but really defense has to be the aim now. With McGuire playing very good defense (preferably as the backup SF), Rush also playing good defense and Bogut being a very good defender, anchoring the middle like the team hasn't had for at least thirty, thirty five years, the defense should be good enough to make the team in the top half of teams defensively.

migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:17 am
All are good prospect, but I just don't trust this coaching staff to polish the big man to be an starting front court player.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:21 am
I believe in Tyler. I think he already has the rebounds and the scoring big time. If he learns defence he can be our next starting PF in a couple of years. But that's not the point. What really destroyed us all those years is that the old FO always drafted players based on position needs and not the best talent available. I want the best player available and if that means that soon i have to make a trade so be it.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:46 pm
I like Tony Wroten, a 6' 5" PG/SG combo who is very athletic. I am only going off based what I read, but that is what we need. If we don't bring back Nate, and Rush is questionable, we will need depth in the back court. He is suppose to be a good defender too.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:45 am
Drew Gordan a local product from Mitty, 6'9-6'8 a little undersized, went to UCLA and then to New Mexico, hustles hard, great rebounder, can do all the dirty work on the inside.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:34 pm
It'll be great if we could get someone in the mold of Kenneth Faried.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:16 pm
Few guys I like for around when we pick:

Patrick Young (for reasons others mentioned)
Tony Mitchell very good player who didn't play in a major conference, but not a terrible one either. Some people rate him as one of the best prospects in the draft.
Fab Melo - Can never have too many bigs. Can rebound and defend well.
Jae Crowder - great motor and build like Lebron. Game reminds me a bit of Iggy, but not quite the leaper or playmaker (although no slouch at either), but a better shooter. Can defend 1-4 positions and good passer, high IQ player -one of the highest assist /TO ratios and good shot selection
Quincy Miller - This guy could be like a poor man's Durant. Similar size, good hands, good shooter (although his release is a bit unorthodox and low). Can also rebound and block shots pretty well. Kinda inconsistent though, but he was a freshman coming off an ACL injury (was a top prospect who's thus flying a bit under the radar) playing for Baylor where that seems to happen with some good players from time to time
Get Money. Get Paid.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:45 pm
I would love to see if we could package this pick (maybe in combination with one of our 2nd round picks) to see if we can get rid of andris', RJ's, or both contracts.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:02 pm
That's exactly what we should do.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:59 pm
8th ave wrote:I would love to see if we could package this pick (maybe in combination with one of our 2nd round picks) to see if we can get rid of andris', RJ's, or both contracts.

That's what I started saying a few weeks ago. I'd much rather have an already proven player, at SF which is the biggest need right now, than an untested draft pick. Sure, a lottery pick higher than seven should contribute straight away, but that's not always the case, as we've seen recently with players like Evans of Philly and the two young bigs in Utah, Favors and Kanter, though Favors came on strong the last month or so of this season. When you couple the lottery pick with either AB or RJ, it diminishes the value, though some GMs would just want to get a lottery pick that high regardless of getting a pretty high two year contract in return.

Though I wanted JSmith as our SF above everyone else, he really was not as effective at SF anywhere near as much as he is at PF. Looks like the best SF that is attainable (outside of the superstars Lebron and Durant) is Iguodala and he is not as attractive now as he was prior to this season, because he has done less. He would be a great fit though, plays both ends and really can do it all on the court. A very complete player that, health permittng to the whole team, could be the piece added that makes the team a contender. We could compare the team with him added to the other great teams, like the top 5 or 6 teams in the league and the team compares quite well.

All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:54 pm
I wouldnt mind trading the pick for an established ST, it would be hard to get Iggy though as they would need to back some serious contracts back for it to work. I think someone like Crash from NJ or Jonas Jerebko from Detriot would be more doable.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:13 am
"Gerald Wallace will opt out of his deal with the Nets and become a free agent."

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... ree-agent/

we should draft a pure center so he can learn behind bogut and lee, and sign Gerald Wallace for defensive set up. just my imo, get the best center outta this yrs draft! big men are hard to find.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:26 am
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:I wouldnt mind trading the pick for an established ST, it would be hard to get Iggy though as they would need to back some serious contracts back for it to work. I think someone like Crash from NJ or Jonas Jerebko from Detriot would be more doable.

If we send either AB or RJ aling with the lottery pick to Philly, that should be enough salary to make that trade work. Add DWright if needed, heck, best case scenario is we can send both AB and RJ and take back one other player of theirs that they don't want. It can be done salary wise quite easily, we have the contracts to do that.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:31 am
facue420 wrote:"Gerald Wallace will opt out of his deal with the Nets and become a free agent."

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... ree-agent/

we should draft a pure center so he can learn behind bogut and lee, and sign Gerald Wallace for defensive set up. just my imo, get the best center outta this yrs draft! big men are hard to find.

Signing GWallace would be the best thing to me, as long as there is salary space for him (which as things are right now, there isn't) and he doesn't want more than 8 million a year for no more than three years. A trade getting rid of DWright for future picks would maybe open up enough salary space to sign GWallace, but that'd have to be done first and early in the offseason to have a good chance of landing him. That would then definately allow for the drafting of the best big available, so that's a very good, though difficult to do and time, direction.

GWallace is a serious defender and that is what makes him so valuable to me. If he was added to the roster right now, that could be championship caliber right there. Blazers didn't have as much talent when they had GWallace, even when Roy and Oden were healthy.

Next

Return to Warriors Basketball