2012 draft choice

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 18
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:24 pm
To throw my 2 cents in I think Sullinger will have a solid enough NBA career, I compare him to likes of Big baby Davis, DaJuan Blair. He will certainly contribute in the NBA immediately.

As far as Perry Jones, if he gets a consistent enough jumper that also stretches out to the 3 point line, and some heart/drive to be the best then I can easily see him becoming an All-Star in the future. He is still tentative at times, lacks that elite confidence to just take over games. On the other hand he is polished, shooting guard skills, handles the ball well for a near 7' footer. All the intangibles, I would take the risk if he falls. Bust or Star, type of deals.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:44 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:If I had a chance to choose between Evan Turner and Paul George, I'd got with Evan Turner. George maybe the better scorer, but Turner does a lot of other things that George can't. Turner can easily play the point guard position with the ability to guard opposing points as well. Turner isn't a scorer and that would be a good thing on this team. A guy that can distribute the ball to scorers like Thompson, Curry and Lee while rebounding and playing defense. You play Turner in a fast paced game and the kid would have at least 5 triple doubles in a season.

Turner has shown some signs of being an allround player, but outside of rebounding, he doesn't do much. Phillty can't sell him as being a good player right now, as he is performing quite awful in every way. I just think that he does have skills and needs to leave Philly. He could be a very good SF, but right now, he has to prove everything. Thing is, he is rather cheap, compared to established SFs, but he is not good value at all right now.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:39 am
If we could get Turner cheap, for say Dorell and some late picks, then sure, we could gamble with him.

He is good all-around player, and that's what we need on perimeter. He can shoot (though he needs to practice his three pointers a bit), he rebounds, assists, can block and steal balls, and is good at defense overall. That's a thankful player who are always welcomed to a team.

He's playing about 25 minutes per game, and has above 9 PPG, almost 6 RPG, close to 3 APG and his FG % is near 45%. You could always use a guy like that. He's better player overall than Dorell. Though, Dorell is taller and has bigger body. Maybe Evan is more suited to play SG, not sure, but he's taller than Igoudala, and Iggy is quite good at playing SF.

If we could get Evan, and make Lee for Josh Smith trade happen (by any means), we would be real good on defense.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:30 am
Turner has been up and down the entire season, but lets not forget that this is only second year in the league. When he's played well, he's been great. During a 3 game Philly winning streak against some good teams he averaged 22 points, 12 rebounds and 3 assists. I think he's a better than any other option at SF that the Warriors now and better than any SF they could draft if they're in the lottery. Yes, better than Kidd-Gilchrist and Barnes, so I would give up the 7th pick in a heartbeat for Turner.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:23 am
Turner is a bit of a splitting point for me and migs at the moment.

I love his potential and miggy makes a great point regarding a change of scenery as a cure for Evan's timid play, but I just see Philly wanting an arm and a leg for him. He wouldn't even be a senior in college at this point; they've still got time to believe he'll pull it together. If we, as fans, we're crazy excited about players like Anthony Randolph and Epke Udoh, imagine how much the Philly fan base values Turner. I'm not saying they won't trade him... But the price is gonna be something we won't wanna give up.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:05 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:To throw my 2 cents in I think Sullinger will have a solid enough NBA career, I compare him to likes of Big baby Davis, DaJuan Blair. He will certainly contribute in the NBA immediately.

As far as Perry Jones, if he gets a consistent enough jumper that also stretches out to the 3 point line, and some heart/drive to be the best then I can easily see him becoming an All-Star in the future. He is still tentative at times, lacks that elite confidence to just take over games. On the other hand he is polished, shooting guard skills, handles the ball well for a near 7' footer. All the intangibles, I would take the risk if he falls. Bust or Star, type of deals.

Unless you already have a stacked team you don't draft for "potential". Sullinger has he skills and he body control to contribute immediately. Jones doesn't have the heart or effort needed for this team.

Ask yourself, do you want to be a perennial lotto team or start competing? If you want to compete then draft Sullinger.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:45 pm
WarriorsBluesRocker wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:To throw my 2 cents in I think Sullinger will have a solid enough NBA career, I compare him to likes of Big baby Davis, DaJuan Blair. He will certainly contribute in the NBA immediately.

Unless you already have a stacked team you don't draft for "potential". Sullinger has he skills and he body control to contribute immediately. Jones doesn't have the heart or effort needed for this team.

Ask yourself, do you want to be a perennial lotto team or start competing? If you want to compete then draft Sullinger.

So you're saying you believe Jared Sullinger is a franchise player? In the NBA? Now, granted, I like him too and think he'll be a solid, productive player, but you'd build a team around a 6'9" center?

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:14 pm
32 wrote:

So you're saying you believe Jared Sullinger is a franchise player? In the NBA? Now, granted, I like him too and think he'll be a solid, productive player, but you'd build a team around a 6'9" center?

Who said anything about franchise player? We are in no position to swing for the stars. We need solid rotation players that will come in and produce right now. Sullinger next to Bogut with Curry running hings sounds great to me.

Try to not get my words confused. I didn't say anything about franchise player. Although Sullinger has more franchise potential the PJ3 does.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:39 pm
32 wrote:

Who said anything about franchise player? We are in no position to swing for the stars. We need solid rotation players that will come in and produce right now. Sullinger next to Bogut with Curry running hings sounds great to me.

Try to not get my words confused. I didn't say anything about franchise player. Although Sullinger has more franchise potential the PJ3 does.

I think Perry Jones have more potential than Jared Sullinger. Sullinger seems to have more of a drive to max his potential, while Perry Jones seems content to do enough and not max out his potential

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:46 pm
fullmetalx wrote:
32 wrote:

I think Perry Jones have more potential than Jared Sullinger. Sullinger seems to have more of a drive to max his potential, while Perry Jones seems content to do enough and not max out his potential

PJ3 has more potential.
Sullinger has a better chance to reach his max potential.

We don't need another Anthony Randolph on our hands. Always waiting for him to get better and it never happening.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:23 pm
32 wrote:

It's hard not to confuse what you're saying when you say "draft Sullinger if you want to compete", implying that he will take a team to the next level, then back up and say he's not a franchise player. What exactly are you saying? You believe he's better than David Lee? Or are you just continuing to advertise your belief that he's better than PJ3 (a straw-man argument, as I don't believe anyone here claimed otherwise)? What exactly are you trying to say? (I'm not being a smart ass, I'm genuinely confused what your point is)

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:39 pm
32 wrote:
32 wrote:

It's hard not to confuse what you're saying when you say "draft Sullinger if you want to compete", implying that he will take a team to the next level, then back up and say he's not a franchise player. What exactly are you saying? You believe he's better than David Lee? Or are you just continuing to advertise your belief that he's better than PJ3 (a straw-man argument, as I don't believe anyone here claimed otherwise)? What exactly are you trying to say? (I'm not being a smart ass, I'm genuinely confused what your point is)

Yes
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:52 pm
Yes what?

He's better than Lee?
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:09 pm
Now that we are slotted #7, assuming we stay in that slot and don't move up, who should we go for. I think I have heard some votes for Bradley Beal, who else? I actually like Perry Jones' potential at the 3, but some people are saying he wants to be a 4. I don't thik he is strong enough for the 4... I would like to see him compete at the 3 vs someone like KD. He is not as good, but he has the length and quickness to at least defend Durant, or slow him down. I really don't want another SG or PG... other option is to trade up for Harison Barnes...
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:31 pm
A SF would be great, but it looks like the best way to go could be Best Player Available (BPA). I'm just not sure there is a real good starting caliber SF after MKG and that will be available to us at #7. A good big would make a great backup and we need bigs still on the bench.

I'd still want to trade the pick for a very good SF.

migya make the ring fall on ya
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball