Idea to dump Jefferson

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: -9
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:38 am
Charlotte wants to change and need veterans. Jefferson + Klay Thompson for Tyrus Thomas. We get rid of Jefferson and save salary but also get a solid player in return. Maybe they give us $3 million or we give them I don't know which way though. You tell me which makes it even.
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:44 am
Hell no.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:49 am
Tyrus Thomas has under perfromed everywhere he has been. That is why he got traded from Chicago, and why he will probably be traded from Charolette:

http://stats.csnbayarea.com/nba/players ... 4132&team=

I wouldn't even trade Jefferson for Tyrus Thomas straight up. They would have to throw in a pick or something.

Besides, why the need to desperately shed Jefferson's salary? Is he over paid? Yes, but just let it expire. Who do you plan on signing this off season if we do have salary cap? Who ever we target in FA would be overpaid, and there aren't any great players in FA that we could afford even if we did shed part of his salary. Jefferson brings experience and knowledge to the team. Heck he played under coach Popivich for 2 years. He has value, even if he is overpaid. But unless you have some other alternative, why do anything?

http://hoopshype.com/videos/videos/rich ... e-playoffs
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:17 pm
Jefferson AND Klay Thompson for Tyrus Thompson? HELL NO. I'd much rather keep Jefferson and let his contract expire in 2 more years. If they want to shed that contract even faster, then offer him up to the Mavericks for Lamar Odom. Odom has one year left on this contract with Dallas, but its obvious that they don't want him back. Dallas does have a team option but if they can get something return for Odom, I think they'll just pick up the option and trade him. The Mavs are a veteran team looking to make another run at the championship next season and have very little options a the SF position. Jefferson could fit right in and if they re-sign Jason Kidd, then I think it would be a great scenario as Jefferson's best years have come while in NJ with Kidd.

The Warriors get Lamar Odom, but I wouldn't care to play him. He's an $8.2M expiring contract which would put the Warriors around $20M under the cap for 2013/2014 in a free agent market that will include Deron Williams, Dwight Howard, Josh Smith, Andrew Bynum, Chris Paul and Al Jefferson. Then all of a sudden, Biedrins becomes more tradable because he becomes an expiring $9M contract. If they can make the right moves, this could be a championship caliber team in 2014.

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:21 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:Jefferson AND Klay Thompson for Tyrus Thompson? HELL NO. I'd much rather keep Jefferson and let his contract expire in 2 more years. If they want to shed that contract even faster, then offer him up to the Mavericks for Lamar Odom. Odom has one year left on this contract with Dallas, but its obvious that they don't want him back. Dallas does have a team option but if they can get something return for Odom, I think they'll just pick up the option and trade him. The Mavs are a veteran team looking to make another run at the championship next season and have very little options a the SF position. Jefferson could fit right in and if they re-sign Jason Kidd, then I think it would be a great scenario as Jefferson's best years have come while in NJ with Kidd.

The Warriors get Lamar Odom, but I wouldn't care to play him. He's an $8.2M expiring contract which would put the Warriors around $20M under the cap for 2013/2014 in a free agent market that will include Deron Williams, Dwight Howard, Josh Smith, Andrew Bynum, Chris Paul and Al Jefferson. Then all of a sudden, Biedrins becomes more tradable because he becomes an expiring $9M contract. If they can make the right moves, this could be a championship caliber team in 2014.

You really think Cuban is going to just take the worst contract in the league off our hands? We have to give up an asset to dump him. And I think you're crazy if you thing Deron Williams, Dwight Howard, Josh Smith, Andrew Bynum, Chris Paul and Al Jefferson would even consider coming here. Maybe Smith or Jefferson but the rest have no interest in us.

So what are we supposed to do boys? Just sit on this team without signing someone and pray New Jersey wins tomorrow and nobody leaps over us in the lottery, all while hoping Curry or Bogut or both don't go Brandon Roy-Greg Oden on us? We have to do something.

How about Curry and Beeds to Utah for Devin Harris, Raja Bell, extending protection on our pick to top 7 next year, and a second round draft pick? Then we hit FA hard next season instead of one year later. Alsoplustoo, we don't to worry about extending Curry to a max contract only to watch him break down like everyone else we've ever signed big money has.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:17 pm
Womb Brooming Monta wrote:
BayAreaHoopz wrote:Jefferson AND Klay Thompson for Tyrus Thompson? HELL NO. I'd much rather keep Jefferson and let his contract expire in 2 more years. If they want to shed that contract even faster, then offer him up to the Mavericks for Lamar Odom. Odom has one year left on this contract with Dallas, but its obvious that they don't want him back. Dallas does have a team option but if they can get something return for Odom, I think they'll just pick up the option and trade him. The Mavs are a veteran team looking to make another run at the championship next season and have very little options a the SF position. Jefferson could fit right in and if they re-sign Jason Kidd, then I think it would be a great scenario as Jefferson's best years have come while in NJ with Kidd.

You really think Cuban is going to just take the worst contract in the league off our hands? We have to give up an asset to dump him. And I think you're crazy if you thing Deron Williams, Dwight Howard, Josh Smith, Andrew Bynum, Chris Paul and Al Jefferson would even consider coming here. Maybe Smith or Jefferson but the rest have no interest in us.

So what are we supposed to do boys? Just sit on this team without signing someone and pray New Jersey wins tomorrow and nobody leaps over us in the lottery, all while hoping Curry or Bogut or both don't go Brandon Roy-Greg Oden on us? We have to do something.

How about Curry and Beeds to Utah for Devin Harris, Raja Bell, extending protection on our pick to top 7 next year, and a second round draft pick? Then we hit FA hard next season instead of one year later. Alsoplustoo, we don't to worry about extending Curry to a max contract only to watch him break down like everyone else we've ever signed big money has.

Here is where I disagree with you:
We have to do something.

Not doing anything, doesn't mean not getting better. We have talent, develop it. Don't dig yourself into a hole just because you need to do something. Waiting it out, seeing what pieces you have and what needs you have is more prudent then guessing what would fit together before even seeing your current squad play together. I know it is more exciting seeing trades and getting new pieces, but that will never result into a stable team and that will never be a winning way to build a team. You have to have guys who are going to stick around and develop and bring the attitude that they are going to work hard and get better.

Also, you are so trigger happy, and eager to dump sallary, that you haven't considered that there is a minimum salary level now, that is 90% of the cap, so we need to be near that number, and having huge expiring contracts that come off in the future, is opening up the possibilities to getting quality FA when we need them the most.... NOT now, but when we have had a chance to see what the current team is missing, or if Curry/Bogut turn out to be injury prone.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:59 pm
Womb Brooming Monta wrote:Charlotte wants to change and need veterans. Jefferson + Klay Thompson for Tyrus Thomas. We get rid of Jefferson and save salary but also get a solid player in return. Maybe they give us $3 million or we give them I don't know which way though. You tell me which makes it even.

#1, this is a miserable trade for us. I got a better idea; instead of Tyrus Thomas, let's just sign a Globetrotter (or some other 6'8" guy), pump him full of tweek before the game, and watch him pick up 2 blocks and 5 fouls in 7 minutes of play. Why not? It's the same result as adding Thomas to the club...

#2, we get rid of a huge contract, but we "throw in" a WAYY nicer piece than Tyrus Thomas... for a guy that costs $7 million anyway! So what are we gaining, exactly, cause its certainly not flexibility on the payroll? You're so desperate to shed RJ's 9 million by 20%, you're willing to give up on Klay Thompson?? This deal is lose-lose for the Warriors.

#3, GS Hoops Fan had a better idea, but I'm not sure you can get Dallas on board... Not because they couldn't use RJ (he actually makes a lot of sense for their team), but because it's no secret that Dallas is foaming at the prospect of swinging both Howard and DWilliams in the next 2 years. Giving up Odom's $9 million deal that teams can expire this summer for 2 more seasons of Richard Jefferson might hamstring their books and potentially throw a wrench in their master plan, sooo... I'm gonna give it the green light, but I doubt Cuban and Donnie feel the same.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:01 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:Here is where I disagree with you:
We have to do something.

Not doing anything, doesn't mean not getting better. We have talent, develop it. Don't dig yourself into a hole just because you need to do something. Waiting it out, seeing what pieces you have and what needs you have is more prudent then guessing what would fit together before even seeing your current squad play together. I know it is more exciting seeing trades and getting new pieces, but that will never result into a stable team and that will never be a winning way to build a team. You have to have guys who are going to stick around and develop and bring the attitude that they are going to work hard and get better.

Also, you are so trigger happy, and eager to dump sallary, that you haven't considered that there is a minimum salary level now, that is 90% of the cap, so we need to be near that number, and having huge expiring contracts that come off in the future, is opening up the possibilities to getting quality FA when we need them the most.... NOT now, but when we have had a chance to see what the current team is missing, or if Curry/Bogut turn out to be injury prone.

Back up there... I agree with you a lot actually. I've already said I'm so sick of losing with all these trades and rebuilds over and over and over. We really need to copy the Jazz model as they are the most stable team in the league. I just don't think Klay Thompson is all he's advertised like the next Carmello or something.

He's a good scorer on a terrible team. Those are a dime a dozen, and a dozen a roster if you're Sacramento Kings. I would actually look to trade Klay Thompson for a guy like Alec Burks (who we passed on) who's already better and in the playoffs but just slightly lower ceiling than Klay. However, I don't see anyone swapping their young, raw, unpredictable talent just to make a lateral move. Even if we did it's not going to get someone as good as My Monta back.

So what do you do to fill these gaping holes in the roster? Dorell Wright? Threes are cool but I'm not dying on the Dorell 3 pointer cross. This team needs major help.

32 wrote:#3, GS Hoops Fan had a better idea, but I'm not sure you can get Dallas on board... Not because they couldn't use RJ (he actually makes a lot of sense for their team), but because it's no secret that Dallas is foaming at the prospect of swinging both Howard and DWilliams in the next 2 years. Giving up Odom's $9 million deal that teams can expire this summer for 2 more seasons of Richard Jefferson might hamstring their books and potentially throw a wrench in their master plan, sooo... I'm gonna give it the green light, but I doubt Cuban and Donnie feel the same.

That's exactly what I was saying so thanks you.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:50 pm
Point me in the direction of the person who told you Klay Thompson was going to be the next Carmelo so I can swap drug dealers with him.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:05 pm
I like Tyrus Thomas but the trade you suggested Womb is flat out robbery.

A Tyrus Thomas for Richard Jefferson is a trade I would do.. But play thompson thrown in... (we might as well give them a tub of KY JELLY as well cause thats how it would feel)

Tyrus & RJeff have 2 terrible contracts... but choosing between the 2, I'd take the big guy who plays Defense every time. (the spot up 3 shooting swingman is so replaceable)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:41 pm
... Not to mention, is $2 million per cheaper and has one less year...
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:53 pm
I've been looking at numbers and the only situation I can think of where we can unload RJ/Beans contract is if we give The Wizards a call. They have Rashard Lewis who is owed 22 million next year, but he's an expiring whereas RJ and Beans' contracts doesn't expire until 2013-2014. We'll save around 16 million by making this trade and Washington gains 2 veterans on a very young roster. Honestly, I don't think they'll do it unless we give them more. If we happen to get our top 7 pick, I would throw in San Antonio's 1st round to see if they'll bite. Another thing to consider is that they don't have a starting caliber SF on their roster. They're in prime position to take Michael Kidd-Giltrist, but if he's not ready to start right away, RJ can step in a fill that role until he is. Some of you may think that Jan Vesely could be their starting 3, but I think they can move him to the 4 spot since he doesn't have a perimeter game anyways.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:54 pm
at the end of the day though, RJ and Beans' contract is still a really tough pill to swallow.

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:17 am
8th ave wrote:I've been looking at numbers and the only situation I can think of where we can unload RJ/Beans contract is if we give The Wizards a call. They have Rashard Lewis who is owed 22 million next year, but he's an expiring whereas RJ and Beans' contracts doesn't expire until 2013-2014. We'll save around 16 million by making this trade and Washington gains 2 veterans on a very young roster. Honestly, I don't think they'll do it unless we give them more. If we happen to get our top 7 pick, I would throw in San Antonio's 1st round to see if they'll bite. Another thing to consider is that they don't have a starting caliber SF on their roster. They're in prime position to take Michael Kidd-Giltrist, but if he's not ready to start right away, RJ can step in a fill that role until he is. Some of you may think that Jan Vesely could be their starting 3, but I think they can move him to the 4 spot since he doesn't have a perimeter game anyways.

There is no way in hell Wizards trade the last year of Lewis for two more atrocities. I did investigate this situation fully before posting this trade idea and found some things that would work, but I didn't want to get jumped by the great minds who overvalue everything we have and think we just dump Beeds terrible contract.

First thing you have to know about Lewis is he is not guaranteed the entire $22 million. They can buy him out for less and let him walk. Here is a three way trade that works for everyone: Lewis and Millsap here, Beeds and Curry to Utah, Klay and Jefferson to Washington. We end up with $52 million committed salary next year with 28 coming off the books. With the salary cap at $63 million, we'll have enough to sign Deron Williams and Dwight Howard in the offseason.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:53 am
Womb Brooming Monta wrote:
8th ave wrote:I've been looking at numbers and the only situation I can think of where we can unload RJ/Beans contract is if we give The Wizards a call. They have Rashard Lewis who is owed 22 million next year, but he's an expiring whereas RJ and Beans' contracts doesn't expire until 2013-2014. We'll save around 16 million by making this trade and Washington gains 2 veterans on a very young roster. Honestly, I don't think they'll do it unless we give them more. If we happen to get our top 7 pick, I would throw in San Antonio's 1st round to see if they'll bite. Another thing to consider is that they don't have a starting caliber SF on their roster. They're in prime position to take Michael Kidd-Giltrist, but if he's not ready to start right away, RJ can step in a fill that role until he is. Some of you may think that Jan Vesely could be their starting 3, but I think they can move him to the 4 spot since he doesn't have a perimeter game anyways.

There is no way in hell Wizards trade the last year of Lewis for two more atrocities. I did investigate this situation fully before posting this trade idea and found some things that would work, but I didn't want to get jumped by the great minds who overvalue everything we have and think we just dump Beeds terrible contract.

First thing you have to know about Lewis is he is not guaranteed the entire $22 million. They can buy him out for less and let him walk. Here is a three way trade that works for everyone: Lewis and Millsap here, Beeds and Curry to Utah, Klay and Jefferson to Washington. We end up with $52 million committed salary next year with 28 coming off the books. With the salary cap at $63 million, we'll have enough to sign Deron Williams and Dwight Howard in the offseason.

1. No. He actually is guaranteed the whole entire 22 million dollars. This isn't the NFL where only a portion of the contract is guaranteed; whenever someone signs a contract in the NBA, you're guaranteed the full amount unless you did something stupid that breached the contract like your beloved Ellis did when he fell off that moped. Also, they can't buy him out unless Lewis himself agrees to it, and that's still depends on whether or not if they can agree on a buyout amount which they probably won't because Lewis will be the 2nd highest paid player after Kobe.

2. Why would we let let go of our starting point guard and shooting guard for 2 players of the same position AND we already have Lee?

3. At 52 million, we barely have enough room for 1 max contract, and we sure as hell do not have enough room for 2.

4. Deron and Dwight have already expressed where they want to be, and the Golden State is not one of them.

Next

Return to Warriors Basketball