Joe Lacob getting booed.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:28 pm
32 wrote:
Auric wrote:Steve Lachin over at Sports Illustrated has a very interesting article about how getting booed is a right of passage for people important not just to Warriors fans, but to Bay Area sports fans in general: http://sidelines.co/article/246638/2125. Definitely worth a read for a different perspective.

But yea, Mullin deserved way better on his night.

Interesting read, although I disagree with the general premise.

Booing may show a knowledge of who said person is, but Lacob's case is far different from A-Rod or any other athlete because (a) Lacob doesn't play, so the fans aren't booing in an attempt to sabotage his respected skills and (b) the Bay Area cannot be compared to fanbases in NY or Philly; the Bay shows infinite more class and appreciation for its own. We don't bail on our guys in a shallow attempt to prove that "WE are winners, YOU guys are losers!"... Our fans are much classier (and smarter) than that... Which is what made that night such an embarrassment.

I'm 23 and I have a whole bunch of friends that are "Warriors fans." Honestly, the **** I hear on Facebook regarding games, trades, and other Warrior related news, I can honestly say they're stupid. This is probably unrelated to your post and that article, but I'd thought I'd share anyway :

Exhibit A (copied straight from his FB) : "They didn't win on my bday! I think number 10 suck ass! Every time they put him in... They start to lose. Take him out... They score and get the lead or head to head. Tall white boy tall and big for nothing! I think I play better then him. Lol just saying..."

Exhibit B :Regarding the Ellis trade, another friend said that the Warriors are dumb and that he's no longer a fan.

Exhibit C :****... i was gonna post screen shots of a debate me and another friend got into, but it takes something like 8 screenshots for the while entire convo, but he too was going into detail how we could've gotten more for Ellis.

I can't speak for all Warrior fans, but I can say that my friends are really dumb, ignorant, and naive when it comes to the Warriors (except pawno.... He's my fb friend and he's AiIiITeEe).
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:22 am
8th ave wrote:
32 wrote:
Auric wrote:Steve Lachin over at Sports Illustrated has a very interesting article about how getting booed is a right of passage for people important not just to Warriors fans, but to Bay Area sports fans in general: http://sidelines.co/article/246638/2125. Definitely worth a read for a different perspective.

Booing may show a knowledge of who said person is, but Lacob's case is far different from A-Rod or any other athlete because (a) Lacob doesn't play, so the fans aren't booing in an attempt to sabotage his respected skills and (b) the Bay Area cannot be compared to fanbases in NY or Philly; the Bay shows infinite more class and appreciation for its own. We don't bail on our guys in a shallow attempt to prove that "WE are winners, YOU guys are losers!"... Our fans are much classier (and smarter) than that... Which is what made that night such an embarrassment.

I'm 23 and I have a whole bunch of friends that are "Warriors fans." Honestly, the **** I hear on Facebook regarding games, trades, and other Warrior related news, I can honestly say they're stupid. This is probably unrelated to your post and that article, but I'd thought I'd share anyway :

Exhibit A (copied straight from his FB) : "They didn't win on my bday! I think number 10 suck ass! Every time they put him in... They start to lose. Take him out... They score and get the lead or head to head. Tall white boy tall and big for nothing! I think I play better then him. Lol just saying..."

Exhibit B :Regarding the Ellis trade, another friend said that the Warriors are dumb and that he's no longer a fan.

Exhibit C :****... i was gonna post screen shots of a debate me and another friend got into, but it takes something like 8 screenshots for the while entire convo, but he too was going into detail how we could've gotten more for Ellis.

I can't speak for all Warrior fans, but I can say that my friends are really dumb, ignorant, and naive when it comes to the Warriors (except pawno.... He's my fb friend and he's AiIiITeEe).

Bro, I feel you. I'm 25. I gotta hear the exact same uninformed nonsensical banter from anti-fans who aren't really sports fans so much as young men looking for excuses to scream and yell catch phrases. Most kids in our demographic watch Sharks games, UFC fights, think baseball is "boring", have said "Alex Smith sucks!" since he was drafted and didn't kill it like Peyton immediately, aaaaaand (above all) love to rip on the Warriors now since back when they were in middle school, they used to be transplanted, bandwagony Kings fans rooting against the Lakers in the early 2000's... And not Kings fans so much as anti-Laker fans, which is what they are with Golden State. For dudes our age, the warriors blow and always have and blah blah ignorant ass blah... But, 8th ave, if your friends are anywhere near as ignorant as mine about sports, than they too probably hopped on the We Believe bandwagon in 07, right? ::lol:

Damn, I hate our demographic haha.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:07 pm
32 wrote:
8th ave wrote:
32 wrote:

Bro, I feel you. I'm 25. I gotta hear the exact same uninformed nonsensical banter from anti-fans who aren't really sports fans so much as young men looking for excuses to scream and yell catch phrases. Most kids in our demographic watch Sharks games, UFC fights, think baseball is "boring", have said "Alex Smith sucks!" since he was drafted and didn't kill it like Peyton immediately, aaaaaand (above all) love to rip on the Warriors now since back when they were in middle school, they used to be transplanted, bandwagony Kings fans rooting against the Lakers in the early 2000's... And not Kings fans so much as anti-Laker fans, which is what they are with Golden State. For dudes our age, the warriors blow and always have and blah blah ignorant ass blah... But, 8th ave, if your friends are anywhere near as ignorant as mine about sports, than they too probably hopped on the We Believe bandwagon in 07, right? ::lol:

You're 25?!?!? Fuk, I always thought you were 30+ or something.

Anyway, most if not all of my friends don't know anything beyond the Warriors players. They don't know anything about the owner, front office, drafts, player salary, or the game itself. I really don't respond to them almost ever because I don't want them to think I'm some sort of douche, but boy does it get annoying when they start spewing out some ignorant **** about the Warriors. This leads me to rethink the whole thing about the Warriors having the "best" fans in the NBA. Personally, I think when it comes to enthusiasm, we probably are. However, when it comes to basketball knowledge, the average Warrior fan just doesn't have any. I hope these examples don't spark a debate, but I think most us will agree that it wasn't Baron's fault that he left the bay but yet he still got booed when he came to the oracle. I consider this ignorant. And more recently, the booing of Joe Lacob which you mentioned, is probably the first time I was ashamed of being a Warriors fan. With some issues like these, some Warriors fans just don't deserve to have an opinion.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:01 pm
8th ave wrote:
32 wrote:
8th ave wrote:
32 wrote:

Anyway, most if not all of my friends don't know anything beyond the Warriors players. They don't know anything about the owner, front office, drafts, player salary, or the game itself. I really don't respond to them almost ever because I don't want them to think I'm some sort of douche, but boy does it get annoying when they start spewing out some ignorant **** about the Warriors. This leads me to rethink the whole thing about the Warriors having the "best" fans in the NBA. Personally, I think when it comes to enthusiasm, we probably are. However, when it comes to basketball knowledge, the average Warrior fan just doesn't have any. I hope these examples don't spark a debate, but I think most us will agree that it wasn't Baron's fault that he left the bay but yet he still got booed when he came to the oracle. I consider this ignorant. And more recently, the booing of Joe Lacob which you mentioned, is probably the first time I was ashamed of being a Warriors fan. With some issues like these, some Warriors fans just don't deserve to have an opinion.

I think beyond some of the younger demographic lacking class and not respecting the history of the game and the team, the problem might be more systemic in Bay Area fans. There's perhaps a bit of a bandwagon attitude in some of the younger fans who have grown up seeing little success with the Warriors, Niners, Giants etc. and now latch onto any team that has a bit of success and lash out in their relative ignorance, picking the easiest scapegoat to blame (Alex Smith etc.)

Was reading an interview with Rick Barry this morning, btw, and he wasn't too happy about what happened: http://sidelines.co/article/260023/2125/.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:08 am
Auric wrote:
8th ave wrote:
32 wrote:
8th ave wrote:
32 wrote:Interesting read, although I disagree with the general premise.

I think beyond some of the younger demographic lacking class and not respecting the history of the game and the team, the problem might be more systemic in Bay Area fans. There's perhaps a bit of a bandwagon attitude in some of the younger fans who have grown up seeing little success with the Warriors, Niners, Giants etc. and now latch onto any team that has a bit of success and lash out in their relative ignorance, picking the easiest scapegoat to blame (Alex Smith etc.)

Was reading an interview with Rick Barry this morning, btw, and he wasn't too happy about what happened: http://sidelines.co/article/260023/2125/.

You're absolutely right. It's a product of our generation growing up on TNT, League Pass, and basic channel NBA playoffs. Really, when I discovered Warriors basketball on KICU 36 (when I was little), it didn't seem like the main production here. You had Giants and 49ers on channel 2, and with the Dubs lost in the shuffle of basic cable, our generation typically migrated to Kobe fans, Kings fans, and Iverson fans during the Bimbo Coles era. Even those of us who latched on during the TMC years couldn't give local fans a reason to support Golden State. The problem is just as Auric describes: it's a disrespectful, young person thing.

I have no doubt in my mind that the majority of boo's, 8th ave, came from the same demographic of morons who disease our newsfeed with half-assed opinions about every sport. Most of my "sports fan" friends don't like sports; they just like getting together and drinking and being able to cheer and scream at some point. And as a member of the microchip generation, I understand full well that these people are classless, impatient, have a sense of entitlement, and above all else HATE to be associated with anything that "lost"; they're all about instant gratification. A cookie, a win, a lay, it's all in the moment for these fools, which is why the Warriors won't have their support until they win... Then watch the bandwagon fill up.

God, it's embarrassing.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:47 am
Still feel embarrassed about that booing, even though it has nothing to do with me. What do you guys think, should we write an e-mail, and send it to (I guess we can't contact Lacob), some Warriors e-mail address from official website, and say that not all of the fans feel that way, and that we support our chairman? And sign it by goldenstwarriors.com. I know it's a bit late, and I know we won't do it in the end, cause it won't change pretty much anything, but it just crossed my mind, while being bored at work. It won't change anything, but at least it might encourage Lacob to keep forming this team as best as possible, and getting into luxury tax as well, knowing he has fans who deserve that.

Or just ignore this, like I should have that "idea" I had. lol
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:04 am
I emailed Joe Lacob the morning after it happened.

My friend's father is a minority owner, so even though I have yet to take him up on his offer, I've been invited to pickup games at the Roaracle and such to meet Joe Lacob. So, yeah. I asked my friend to forward my message to Joe and got a pretty nice response back from Mr. Lacob.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:45 am
You must have some inside info, dude! :mrgreen:

On the matter: It's good then. I think he would feel better about the whole franchise if he knew that there's a group of us, maintaining board about Warriors, having faith in him and supporting him, definitely not booing him and not approving that.

Rookie
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:31 am
I wish I was at Roaracle that night. Those SOB's yelling at our owner. Pfft! Wha tha..... He is a dope, but that reminded me the class of the stupid Jazz fans! They should put a bubble over the upper bowl. Or charge more than $15 a seat and keep the Raider fans at bay!
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:11 pm
PKM wrote:I wish I was at Roaracle that night. Those SOB's yelling at our owner. Pfft! Wha tha..... He is a dope, but that reminded me the class of the stupid Jazz fans! They should put a bubble over the upper bowl. Or charge more than $15 a seat and keep the Raider fans at bay!

:happy1: oh snap!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:22 pm
Hahaha, nice one PKM. =D> ::lol:
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:27 pm
PKM wrote:I wish I was at Roaracle that night. Those SOB's yelling at our owner. Pfft! Wha tha..... He is a dope, but that reminded me the class of the stupid Jazz fans! They should put a bubble over the upper bowl. Or charge more than $15 a seat and keep the Raider fans at bay!

Not cool. & to think I was starting to like you :)

Next thing you'll be making jokes about the Oakland A's then you'll really be in my bad books :evil: #DoucheGIANTS
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball