Curry's ceiling

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:57 pm
Hey Guys!

What do you guys see him as when he grows up? We all know he can shoot, but the injuries are a real ankle breaker (get it). I think he may be no better than Monta when all is said and done. If we hold him to say 28-30 minutes a night we cay preserve his career.

I also really like the idea of trading him for Milsap and Harris. I know filler is needed, but the Jazz seem like a real dumb organization. Maybe they dont know of Curry's injury history?

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:34 pm
With Curry its all about the bummed ankle, to truly evaluate him, coincides with his ability to recover fully from it. Warriors are in a real risky situation and an injury that looked minor has turned into huge question mark. When healthy he is a capable, can put up points in a hurry, and with help around him, the floor will now stretch. Warriors next season will have lethal 3 point assassins (Rush, Curry, Klay), and an impressive inside outside game.

Again its all pending on how healthy everyone stays, that will be the theme until the season starts, when the season starts etc, etc etc.

Also it will be interesting how extension talks go with Curry, knowing he has the bummed injury. Get your poker faces on.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:42 pm
I think his ceiling is really high. His shotting ability is going to prolong his career, and he has demonstrated great ability to get into the lane despite not being that fast. Great passing ability too. I am not too worried about the ankle, it may slow him down, but he will at worst be a serviceable backup PG. But he is smart and works hard, so he will recover and come back better then ever.

To tell you the truth I am worried about Bogut, because his injury was more of a fracture. With a big guy like that, with that much wieght, it could be a career ending injury a la Yao Ming. Curry's is only ligaments that will give him some trouble, but eventually they will stretch out or heal.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:45 pm
PKM... I dont think we are getting back equal value by trading Curry for Milsap/Harris.

Perhaps im a warriors homer & value Steph higher then others.. But Curry has a chance to be a allstar. I dont see that in Milsap
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:08 pm
Curry is among the most fundamentally sound players to hit the professional game in the past 20 years. He utilizes masterfully skilled moves often reserved for the true greats: he can catch-and-shoot off a screen with his momentum carrying him away from the basket, he shoots free throws in the mid-90%, he uses the rim against shot-blockers to get off lay-ups inside, and despite being constantly overmatched in the paint, he uses a tear-drop floater with an unblockable peak and cat-burglar release to score almost on command. Curry has clairvoyant court vision and completes half-court lobs, one-handed zips, and no-look drop-offs as easily as his marksman-like chest passes. He always makes the defender commit on the fast-break, uses hesitation and head-fakes in the Olajuwon category, and can scoop shots off the glass like a post-player. He reads opponents eyes and usually is good for 2 steals every night. Curry's bread-and-butter is his jumpshot, which is arguably the most dangerous in the league and features an instantaneous release, stratospheric arc, and excellent follow-through. He sets his feet quickly and is almost automatic off the catch, but also posses deadly accuracy off-balance. He is currently a 45-40-85 player, which is a feat few players have accomplished and none have done it consecutively in their first 2 NBA seasons.

He has the highest ceiling on the team.

Absolute veto on a trade for scrubbalicious DHarris and Paul Milsap; who is quickly turning into what Drew Gooden was 5 years ago to Warriors fans: some peculiarly coveted career bench 4 who has put up decent numbers for less than 2 years. Don't get me wrong; I think Milsap is a good piece for Utah, but I'm amazed at how many trade ideas this forum has come up with trying to obtain Paul Milsap the past few weeks. I don't get it. Not Bosh. Not Dirk. Not ZBo. Paul Milsap.

Anyways, Harris and Milsap combine for $16 million (compared to Curry's $3), so it's a moot point by any means. We'd have to convince them to take Biedrins and DWright. As nice as its be to lose Biedrins' contract, I'd hate losing Curry in the deal. To me, he's the highest potential player on the team, followed by Bogut, Thompson, and Lee (in that order).
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:55 pm
32 wrote:Curry is among the most fundamentally sound players to hit the professional game in the past 20 years. He utilizes masterfully skilled moves often reserved for the true greats: he can catch-and-shoot off a screen with his momentum carrying him away from the basket, he shoots free throws in the mid-90%, he uses the rim against shot-blockers to get off lay-ups inside, and despite being constantly overmatched in the paint, he uses a tear-drop floater with an unblockable peak and cat-burglar release to score almost on command. Curry has clairvoyant court vision and completes half-court lobs, one-handed zips, and no-look drop-offs as easily as his marksman-like chest passes. He always makes the defender commit on the fast-break, uses hesitation and head-fakes in the Olajuwon category, and can scoop shots off the glass like a post-player. He reads opponents eyes and usually is good for 2 steals every night. Curry's bread-and-butter is his jumpshot, which is arguably the most dangerous in the league and features an instantaneous release, stratospheric arc, and excellent follow-through. He sets his feet quickly and is almost automatic off the catch, but also posses deadly accuracy off-balance. He is currently a 45-40-85 player, which is a feat few players have accomplished and none have done it consecutively in their first 2 NBA seasons.

Absolute veto on a trade for scrubbalicious DHarris and Paul Milsap; who is quickly turning into what Drew Gooden was 5 years ago to Warriors fans: some peculiarly coveted career bench 4 who has put up decent numbers for less than 2 years. Don't get me wrong; I think Milsap is a good piece for Utah, but I'm amazed at how many trade ideas this forum has come up with trying to obtain Paul Milsap the past few weeks. I don't get it. Not Bosh. Not Dirk. Not ZBo. Paul Milsap.

Anyways, Harris and Milsap combine for $16 million (compared to Curry's $3), so it's a moot point by any means. We'd have to convince them to take Biedrins and DWright. As nice as its be to lose Biedrins' contract, I'd hate losing Curry in the deal. To me, he's the highest potential player on the team, followed by Bogut, Thompson, and Lee (in that order).

Right now I think Curry ceiling is part of a 3 guard rotation where the coach just tell Curry to score mainly and everything else he does is average. To me he is a combo guard, but not a franchise player where teams build around. This season was suppose to be a pivotal year for Curry for what he going to be projected to be in future years. I see chronic soreness in his ankles and his ability to play true PG is inconsistent for the past few years.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:56 pm
I think Curry has alot of potential and looked great right from the start of his career. The guy has skills and looks like he could be a top 5 PG for sure. He doesn't play good defense, but neither does Nash, he never has himself and he is one of the best PGs ever. I think Curry is a keper until he proves he is either not going to be as good as first thought or his ankles limit him from ever being as good as thought.

I'd only trade him for another PG and only a top 5 or so one.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:29 pm
migya wrote:I think Curry has alot of potential and looked great right from the start of his career. The guy has skills and looks like he could be a top 5 PG for sure. He doesn't play good defense, but neither does Nash, he never has himself and he is one of the best PGs ever. I think Curry is a keper until he proves he is either not going to be as good as first thought or his ankles limit him from ever being as good as thought.

I would have dealt him without thinking twice for Rondo - particularly when we still had Ellis. I'm pretty sure I'd still do it even now because I'm not as optimistic as others are when it comes to his ankle. No ankle problems, he is a top 3-4 PG in the league.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:37 pm
JREED wrote:
migya wrote:I think Curry has alot of potential and looked great right from the start of his career. The guy has skills and looks like he could be a top 5 PG for sure. He doesn't play good defense, but neither does Nash, he never has himself and he is one of the best PGs ever. I think Curry is a keper until he proves he is either not going to be as good as first thought or his ankles limit him from ever being as good as thought.

I would have dealt him without thinking twice for Rondo - particularly when we still had Ellis. I'm pretty sure I'd still do it even now because I'm not as optimistic as others are when it comes to his ankle. No ankle problems, he is a top 3-4 PG in the league.

Rondo is a top 5 PG and if that deal somehow had of been there, they should have taken it. I'd still do it now as well.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:06 pm
fullmetalx wrote:
32 wrote:Curry is among the most fundamentally sound players to hit the professional game in the past 20 years. He utilizes masterfully skilled moves often reserved for the true greats: he can catch-and-shoot off a screen with his momentum carrying him away from the basket, he shoots free throws in the mid-90%, he uses the rim against shot-blockers to get off lay-ups inside, and despite being constantly overmatched in the paint, he uses a tear-drop floater with an unblockable peak and cat-burglar release to score almost on command. Curry has clairvoyant court vision and completes half-court lobs, one-handed zips, and no-look drop-offs as easily as his marksman-like chest passes. He always makes the defender commit on the fast-break, uses hesitation and head-fakes in the Olajuwon category, and can scoop shots off the glass like a post-player. He reads opponents eyes and usually is good for 2 steals every night. Curry's bread-and-butter is his jumpshot, which is arguably the most dangerous in the league and features an instantaneous release, stratospheric arc, and excellent follow-through. He sets his feet quickly and is almost automatic off the catch, but also posses deadly accuracy off-balance. He is currently a 45-40-85 player, which is a feat few players have accomplished and none have done it consecutively in their first 2 NBA seasons.

Right now I think Curry ceiling is part of a 3 guard rotation where the coach just tell Curry to score mainly and everything else he does is average. To me he is a combo guard, but not a franchise player where teams build around. This season was suppose to be a pivotal year for Curry for what he going to be projected to be in future years. I see chronic soreness in his ankles and his ability to play true PG is inconsistent for the past few years.

I was at the last home game Curry played in this year and the difference between when he is on the floor and when he is off the floor is staggering. I believe in his abilities as a point guard; shooting stroke notwithstanding. He isn't an Iverson or an Ellis; he's a Steve Nash, a passer than can keep teams honest with his nuts-on shooting. Obviously, because of his superior height, Curry looks for his shot more than Nash... But that doesn't mean he's a natural 2. The guy is a great point guard when he's healthy.

I understand that some fans will be jaded on his health in light of this season, but I sincerely doubt Curry will be injury prone his entire career. The kid's entitled to one injury-riddled year.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:08 pm
What was weird about Curry ankle injury is that he look like he did not put too much pressure on his ankle and it kept on spraining. He had surgery in the off season and rest for his ankle. He still sprain his ankles plenty of time this season and nobody knows what is going on; Curry couldn't handle the compacted season? I don't think Curry is a pass first PG like Nash who set up his teammates for easy buckets constantly throughout the game. Curry need to play more games on the NBA level as a PG to polish his skills in running the team offense.

Next season will be a critical season for Curry to show if he really a Top PG that everyone project him to be and if those ankle sprains are just an anomaly.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:22 am
Curry has all of the talent, it's just that ankle that worries us now. If he can stay healthy during the next season, and scores close to 20 PPG, with his assist ratio going up, I'm positive that we can say that we have a franchise player.

It's just that damn ankle that is slowing him down. I believe that we would have seen a franchise player in Curry even this season, after Monta left, if it was not for that damn ankle injury.

Return to Warriors Basketball