Lamar Odom on Warriors Radar

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:18 pm
http://www.ibabuzz.com/warriors/2012/04 ... long-shot/

It’s a long shot. He would probably have to take less money and turn down a chance to be on a contender. But the Warriors have an eye for Lamar Odom to fill out their starting lineup next season. File it under the would-be-nice list (Not exactly on the what-are-you-smoking list that was once topped by Dwight Howard hopes).

The Warriors have four spots in their starting lineup, on paper, set for next season. Stephen Curry is the point guard. Klay Thompson is the shooting guard. David Lee is the power forward and Andrew Bogut is the center. It would take something major for those four not to be starters next season. That leaves the small forward position as the only place in the starting lineup semi-available for upgrading. Lamar Odom would be an upgrade of the current quartet of Dorell Wright, Dominic McGuire, Richard Jefferson and Brandon Rush. Mostly because Odom provides what they don’t. Even with this atrocious season he’s had, Odom’s career averages are 14.6 points on 46.5 percent shooting with 8.6 rebounds and 3.9 assists.

The Warriors would loooooooooove that kind of production at small forward. Multiple team sources told me Odom would be a good fit. He’s someone on their radar.

What’s more, Odom gives them another creator on the floor, another person to run the show in transition. Because of the four set starters and four SFs on the roster, only Curry and McGuire can consistently create for someone else, have enough ball-handling and vision for Mark Jackson to feel comfortable with them having the ball in their hands a lot. Based on the four starters penciled in for next season, the Warriors desperately need a playmaker at small forward (presuming Klay Thompson will take some time before he can be a consistent creator). Bogut helps because he has a back-to-the-basket game and he can pass. But he’s not going to run a break or make a play out of nowhere. You need at least two playmakers.

Perhaps that’s the best lure the Warriors would have for Odom, a chance to be a centerpiece in the offense, to get back to his playmaking roots. And a chance to stick it to the Lakers four times a year.

Odom is set to make $8.2 million next year. But Dallas has a team option. If they cut him, only $2.4 million of that is guaranteed. Golden State wouldn’t have money to outbid anyone. They’d have the mid-level exception (about $5.6 million this season) to offer Odom and hope he just wants to play with the Warriors. (Of course, a contender may want to offer Odom the mid-level as well. Or a team with cap space could through $8 -10 million at him.) Of course, with stories like these out there, he may wind up happy with a full mid-level offer.

The other option is a trade. But then, Golden State would have to come up with a package Dallas would want. Fortunately, Dallas won’t have to decide on Odom until after the draft, meaning he can be moved in a draft-day trade.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:47 pm
Not worth the risk in my opinion. Rather get an athletic SF in the draft.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:28 am
I don't want mr housewife. He was a head case before the Lakers traded him. Now, it's just ridiculous.

I'm sure we're all in store for a comeback next year and it'll be featured on the new season of Ugly Sister & LamLam, I'm just not interested
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:52 pm
why not andrei kirlenko?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:33 pm
ShadsTheWarrior wrote:why not andrei kirlenko?

Why not at all. Is he a free agent? How much for him a season? I'd give no more than 3 million for three eyars, maybe 4 million for his seemingly washed up arse. He regressed alot the last few years and has everything to prove now.

Still a nice backup, especially defensively.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:33 am
AK-47 is playing pretty good for CSKA this season. He's a great all-around player, the guy does it all. Always a welcomed player in my book...I mean any player that isn't just about scoring.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:08 am
It would be hard to convince AK47 to leave his home country of russia after being rejuvenated over there. My guess is he stays there.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:21 am
Kirilenko was overpaid and given much too big a role in Utah.

It would take a similar offer to bring him to Golden State, drying up any incentive to bring him here. If you could brainwash him into believing he's a 10 MPG role player off the bench who can see more minutes with more production here, than I'd be all for it. But as it stands, I think he'd rather continue being the big fish in a little pond. He's much more valuable to the Russians than he is in the NBA.

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:44 am
The thought of Lamar Kardash just shows the indecisiveness of the SF position for next, it could go alot of different ways. The idea of Lamar makes sense, but this is Lamar of the past not the current. Pending on the price I would take a chance.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:06 am
Lamar Odom is a diva, bro. He's not gonna come to an up and coming Dubs team on the cheap. The lowest we can hope for is MLE and, frankly, he's not worth that on his worst day. Odom is a modern day Derrick Coleman; a dude with every tool, all the height, all the strength, all the skill... A prototypical basketball player that carries his squad when he truly wants it, but (for whatever reason) allows his (over?)confidence in himself to render his game complacent, pedestrian, transparent... Whatever adjective you wanna use, it's him and its him all too often. Think Mav's fans were the first to declare Odom an emotional head case? Think again. Just a short browse through Lakers fan forums from '06 to last year will tell you everything you got to hear in headlines this season. Odom DISAPPEARS too often (especially in crunch time).

Lam Lam got paid, he got rings, and thanks to the E! channel and a laughably out of touch wifey whose livin large off OJ Simpson trial money, he's got fame for the next few years at least. Why in Joe Barry Carroll's name would Odom ever feel motivated enough to play coming here? Dude wants NY, Miami, or the Clippers... And he'll get one of them.

Rookie
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:06 pm
Please make this happen. I love Khloe.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:46 am
You are aware of the fact that even if he signs here you won't have a shot at Khloe more than you have it now? ::razz:

He looks like a washed up player at the moment, so I'm not for it. And since I'm not from the States, and I can't attend the games, it's same to me, I can watch Khloe over the internet or TV. :)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:47 am
Favorite Khloe moment of all-time:

NBA Finals, 2008, in the Boston Garden, when they put her on the big screen in the arena, hearing all the Celts fans chant "UG-LEE-SIS-TER-clap-clap-clapclapclap!"
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:14 am
lol, you gotta love people from Boston. I know it's offensive to her, but that's funny as well.

Return to Warriors Basketball