The San Fransisco Giants Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:38 am
I wouldn't worry about Pandoval. He KILLS it on the AZ park. I have a hunch he's going yard today.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:45 pm
Well, you were right on your hunch, 32.... still another loss.

Here is my prediction. Cain gets the win!!!!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:56 pm
Never thought I'd say this, but Barry Zito has come to save the day!

Panda is absolutely RAKING it early on. 4 games, 5 for 14 (midway through this Rockies game), 2 home runs, 6 RBI's, only 1 strikeout... Dude is killin it early on. So's Melky. If the starters can wake up, they're looking dangerous.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:57 pm
And of course, as I post that, Sandoval swings through for strike 3 and Cabrera gets thrown out at 2nd for a double play.

**** me, right?
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:04 pm
Our offense is looking good, Huff is still dead weight - I can't wait until we just sit him permanently. Now if only the top of our rotation can layoff giving up the long ball...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:36 am
What an odd start to the baseball season:

1. Giants, Yankees, Red Soxs and Braves combined for a 0-12 start (all but braves won yesterday).
2. Zito gets a CG shutout
3. HR's are WAY up compare to season's past after the first week.
4. Not even a week in, and Ozzie Guillen is in Trouble
5. Yoenis Cespedes of the A's looks surprisingly good (steal for Beane); Yu Darvish is already being questioned on his control (overspending?)
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:09 am
I know it's an anomaly but what's up with Tim Linecum being the starting pitcher in a 17-8 romp?

I didn't see the actual game.. But what inning did they pull him from the mound?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:22 am
after yesterdays game, all i can say is... uh-oh!

@pawno.... he was pulled in the 3rd inning.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:47 pm
I'm starting to worry about Timmy's dip in velocity. Zito puts the G's in the W column, Bumgarner responds with 7+ innings of 1 run ball, Cainy matches the shutout, and the Freak... gets lit up again.

Everyone agrees that Zito's drop in velocity is what rendered him more vulnerable. For arguments sake, I'm just gonna mention that Lincecum was a flame-thrower that hit 101 in the minors and debuted with a 98+ heater. His first Cy Young season, he settled into the 95-96 range. So far this year (and through parts of last year) he's been between 90-94. If Timmy's zip on his fastball sets on 91, how good is he still? Granted, his change-up is on par with Santana for the best in baseball, but it'll likely be more hittable with less of a differential in speeds.

I'm officially worried.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:14 pm
Fear the Beard might have to wait til 2013.
Brian Wilson is done for the year & will require surgery..
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:14 pm
32 wrote:I'm starting to worry about Timmy's dip in velocity. Zito puts the G's in the W column, Bumgarner responds with 7+ innings of 1 run ball, Cainy matches the shutout, and the Freak... gets lit up again.

Everyone agrees that Zito's drop in velocity is what rendered him more vulnerable. For arguments sake, I'm just gonna mention that Lincecum was a flame-thrower that hit 101 in the minors and debuted with a 98+ heater. His first Cy Young season, he settled into the 95-96 range. So far this year (and through parts of last year) he's been between 90-94. If Timmy's zip on his fastball sets on 91, how good is he still? Granted, his change-up is on par with Santana for the best in baseball, but it'll likely be more hittable with less of a differential in speeds.

I'm officially worried.

Yeah, I've been there at one point or another in each of the last 3 seasons (including this one) and he always pulls it out. To me it seems like it more of a location issue than anything and that could explain why he's taking a little off his fast ball. Same thing happened last year and the year before and once he got his location back he started picking up his MPH. So I'm going to give it another start.or two before I start to panic.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:29 pm
I think the Giants will be moving on from Wilson. We got some solid relievers. I think they can do without his big price tag. Especially now we are spending a bunch on Cain (which is fine), I think we can spend our other funds else where.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:45 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:I think the Giants will be moving on from Wilson. We got some solid relievers. I think they can do without his big price tag. Especially now we are spending a bunch on Cain (which is fine), I think we can spend our other funds else where.

Just locked up Madbum for 5 years too for $35.56 Mil... I don't agree with moving on from B-Weezy though, good closers are hard to come by and he has been one of the the best (if not the best) in the MLB over the last several seasons. The memory of us being without a good closer since Robb Nen until Wilson and all the horrible pitchers in between is still fresh in my mind - I don't want to go back to that.

Timmy got knocked around early again, but he bounced back with a solid performance after that 4 run 1st. I'm still not worried as I have faith that he'll correct his mechanics and dial in his location.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:57 am
I hope you're right, dude. He def pitched a different game after that horrid 1st inning... But at the end of the day, he got touched up for 5 runs again. :banghead:

And Wilson was gonna be gone either way; with Hembree headed down the pipe, they weren't gonna shell out big money for BWeezy anyways. If anything, this injury might help his chances of staying in SF, considering it'll likely drop his price tag. But SF's already squeezing pennies on position players like no tomorrow. They're dedicating their salary almost entirely to long-term starting pitching. Even Sandoval is underpaid, IMO.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:14 pm
Pablo Sandoval is a legendary hitter in the making. This guy is a complete natural.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board