Utah wants the lottery pick

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:58 am
If Utah really wants our lottery pick this season, would you accept Millsap and their 2013 1st rounder for our lottery pick if it's not in the top 3?

I would, because I think Millsap is one of the most underrated and top 10 PF in the nba right now. He plays both ends and to me, he is better than Lee. Utah would do such a trade, because they've got the monster Favors (who has been just that lately) waiting to be the starting PF. That would allow us to trade Lee for something like JSmith or Iguodala to have as starting SF.

That would be a great scenario to me, in fact, close to the best one of all the ones listed lately on here. I don't want AJeff, as his contract ends after next season and I'm not sure if he'd fit next to Bogut, whereas Millsap would for sure.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:30 am
I wouldn't be opposed to that, especially if we can deal Lee for Iggy or Josh Smith. The problem I see here is if Utah would give that. I mean, if they wanted the pick, they would trade something away, but they can still get that pick for free, cause we are not in the worst 7 teams yet. If we end up there, and they want that pick really bad, it must mean that they have someone they really want in this draft, and we could possibly profit from that.

In my opinion they need a PG, they have up and coming Burks at SG, Gordon Hayward at SF...but they both have not proved that they can be someone that could be count on night in, night out. They both are still not consistent. So, those two positions along with upgrade for Harris could be what they are looking for in this draft. They have a young team, with a lot of potential, that can go far. Especially when you take into consideration that they have strong player below the rim, which is the key. And there are some good players that fit their need in this draft. If they can make that happen, they would be set for years to come.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:35 am
Not me. I'd rather have the pick than absorb an $8 million PF (to go with my $13 million preexisting PF). Lee and Milsapp would combine out to $21 million at one position and you might not even get an all-star selection for it.

Soften the financial blow; give us Favors and Kanter (disregard their pick), have them take back Jefferson and give them all 4 of our picks this year. They get to keep their starting 5 entact and turn 2 prospects into 4. We, meanwhile, solve our search for backup big men and shed Jefferson.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:25 am
We'd have to have pictures of the relevant men in their management fuking dogs to get Favors or Kanter, let alone both.

The Jazz have both Favors and Kanter (both #3 picks in consecutive drafts) in their future as the starting PF and Center and rightfully so, those two could be huge, especially Favors. I'd love to get either one, but not going to happen.

Millsap is a very, very effective player that gets it done all the time. He is small, not like Barkley was, but small for PF, yet bulky, strong and quicker than he looks. He plays both ends and lacks nothing anywhere, yet is expendable for the Jazz.

Definately worth asking the Utah FO this offseason. Heck, I'd even trade the pick at #3, but only if MKG wasn't available, as I think he has high value and is a SF, so starting material MAYBE for us. I think Utah will still find it hard to make the playoffs next season actually, as outside of their PFs and Cs, they look lacking a bit and their youngsters in the backcourt need to develop faster than they have. 2013 1st rounder they'd probably think would be in the late teens, but could actually be another lottery one.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:11 am
I don't think Utah is thinking that far ahead. Like Minnesota and Derrick Williams, it's strange that Utah would acquire Favors just to sit him... And thus far, that's been the case. They acquired Al Jefferson, gave Milsapp money, and THEN brought in Favors. Prior to the DWilliams trade, it looked quite convincingly like the Jazz were committing to Milsapp long-term; my friends in Utah said that's why they let Boozer walk without hesitation.

They also say that thus far, Favors is having trouble figuring out his NBA game and "there was definitely a reason New Jersey gave him up so early"... For a point guard that doesn't appear to enforce whether or not his team gets to the playoffs, by the way.

I dunno, I just get the feeling that Utah is stockpiling talent with no real direction. For that reason, I could see them ditching a project like Favors for a more NBA-ready product in this year's prodigious draft. Call me crazy, but I'd at least try that route before giving them a sure-thing player in a stacked draft for a redundant positional addition that will cost $8 million per for two more years.

How can we afford that deal, now that I think about? You're suggesting that we just take on $8 million? I don't think we have that much cap space up for grabs, mig.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:19 am
Yea, we'd have to have to add DWright at least to mke that trade work salary wise. Millsap, as a backup or not, is better than than at least everyone already here, except MAYBE Curry, Lee and Bogut. You can say he is more effective than them all right now actually. The move straight after acquiring him is to trade Lee for either Iggy or JSmith, as I said earlier. Even if we didn't, we get a very good backup big that allows for the absolute trading of Lee whenever a good deal can be done. Taking on a fair bit of salary yes, though Millsap is paid less than he is worth. I would not do this trade though without having a setup for Lee to be traded

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:13 pm
Nah, DWright is $3.8 mill. At $9 mill, you could try and hypnotize them into taking Biedrins, but it's more likely the only bargaining chip that would match up is Lee ($12 million). Even then, they'd need to throw in either Favors or Kanter ($4 million each) to make the salaries work. I doubt they want our pick badly enough to trade away their 2 PF's. Plus, now instead of Milsapp at $8 mill for 2 years, you have Lee jumping from $12-$16 million for the next 5 years. I love the deal for us, but it doesn't make sense for them.

Which is why I suggested my original idea of Richard Jefferson ($9.2 million) and all 4 of our draft picks (GSW lottery, SAS 1st, ATL 2nd, GSW 2nd) for Favors ($4.4 million) and Kanter ($4.1 million). The salaries match up, Golden State acquires its front court depth, and Utah gets 6 picks in the draft (including possibly 2 lottery picks) in exchange for 2 players that are going to be very raw for at least 2 more years.

That, to me, is the only deal you can sell Utah on for our pick.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:42 pm
OK, we could go with that route you're suggesting 32, but, I'm thinking that Utah wouldn't give us 2 bigs for our pick. Couldn't we get Hayward and Favors instead? I would like that much better, cause Hayward could develop in what we need at SF, he has all-around game, just not consistent yet. And then we could find a way to trade Lee, which would be easier for us, with no pressure, cause we would have Favors at PF as well. Then, if we manage to deal Lee to Atlanta for Josh, for example, we could rotate him at SF and PF, and let Hayward play some part, developing, and Favors could play a little bit of center if needed.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:58 pm
D Lee is not going to be traded, unless another valuable piece added to him in a package. D Lee hasn't prove he can make it to the playoffs in both East and West. Maybe after next season if the Warriors make it to the playoffs he can boost his value. Right now he seen as an overpaid player who get his numbers, but don't help the team to the playoffs or be a .500 team.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:48 pm
Guybrush wrote:OK, we could go with that route you're suggesting 32, but, I'm thinking that Utah wouldn't give us 2 bigs for our pick. Couldn't we get Hayward and Favors instead? I would like that much better, cause Hayward could develop in what we need at SF, he has all-around game, just not consistent yet. And then we could find a way to trade Lee, which would be easier for us, with no pressure, cause we would have Favors at PF as well. Then, if we manage to deal Lee to Atlanta for Josh, for example, we could rotate him at SF and PF, and let Hayward play some part, developing, and Favors could play a little bit of center if needed.

Hayward's a $2.5 million guy. He and Favors combine to about $7 million.

Jefferson makes $9.2 mill. We'd need to convince them to throw in Watson or Bell... And even then, we'd still need to throw in a sub-millionaire (Jenkins, Tyler, D-Leaguers) to make that deal work.

Two 2012 1st Rounders, Two 2012 2nd Rounders, Charles Jenkins, and Richard Jefferson for Derrick Favors, Gordon Hayward, and Earl Watson

I dunno. I think Utah's really high on Hayward and he's pretty much ready to break out. I think Kanter, being more of a project, is a more likely prize. He may be touted as their "center of the future", but he's putting up 4.4 points, 4.4 boards, and 0.3 blocks in 13.1 minutes. For comparison, Jeremy Tyler is putting up 3.4 points, 2.6 boards, and 0.4 blocks in 9.5 minutes. Really, they're exact copies of one another, physically and production-wise. While we are patiently waiting for Tyler to mature and pay off as a mid-2nd-rounder, this is a guy they took with the 3rd overall pick. You dangle a guarantee at our lottery pick to pair with their own and that's more than enough to pry Kanter and his 4 or 5 years of initial development away from Utah.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:48 pm
Utah won't give either Favors or Kantor, not unless we give them Bogut and even then, Bogut being injured a fair bit the last few eyars will make them say no even to that. Only Millsap and AJeff are attainable from them and AJeff is out of contract after next season so I'd stay away from him.

The trade I stated for Millsap is the only feasible one, salaries permitting. I'm not sure if the lottery pick's salary is included in trades, because if so,that should be enough, coupled with DWright, to trade for Millsap. If not, we'd have to throw in another player making about what DWright is making and from what I can see there is noone outside of the top four players and the two bad contracts, except Rush, who has a qualifying offer for 4.1 million, which would do it. I'd take that, DWright and Rush for Millsap and Utah's 2013 1st rounder. Anything else for a trade with them gets messy

Rookie
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:51 pm
I don't think that Utah would give away any of their recent lotto picks. I can see us getting Millsap from them, but even that is questionable. I just hope that we keep tanking so that we can have some sort of leverage is trying to get something valuable form the Jazz.

Rookie
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:31 pm
I hope Utah gives us Favors for the rights to the pick. Top 3 protected should get it done.

Rookie
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:41 pm
PKM wrote:I hope Utah gives us Favors for the rights to the pick. Top 3 protected should get it done.

You are an idiot. That will never work. Unprotected maybe.........................

Rookie
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:56 pm
WarriorsBluesRocker wrote:
PKM wrote:I hope Utah gives us Favors for the rights to the pick. Top 3 protected should get it done.

You are an idiot. That will never work. Unprotected maybe.........................

I have inside information on deals around the NBA. I know more than you could ever imagine.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball