Rush vs Nate: Early Offseason Debate

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Who would you rather retain after the season?

Poll ended at Thu May 31, 2012 2:20 pm

Brandon Rush
46%
Nate Robinson
15%
Both
38%
Neither
No votes

Total votes : 13

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:55 am
Rush for sure, the qualifying offer is $4 mill, I think it is worth it, he can play either the SG or SF when needed, the shooting is not a fluke, and the defense is good, good all around player.

I can see other teams throwing money his way, and place him in a starting role.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:21 pm
I like him too... But you think the team likes him enough to spend that extra money when they're already shelling out 9 or 10 mill for Jefferson? :banghead: ..... Whose not a bad player, mind you, some might take him over Rush (I wouldn't, but I think he has his fans)... I just feel like RJ's contract situation combined with his consistent level of mediocre production will give management an incentive to spend Rush's money elsewhere (like a backup big or a veteran backup PG).
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:10 pm
32 wrote:I like him too... But you think the team likes him enough to spend that extra money when they're already shelling out 9 or 10 mill for Jefferson? :banghead: ..... Whose not a bad player, mind you, some might take him over Rush (I wouldn't, but I think he has his fans)... I just feel like RJ's contract situation combined with his consistent level of mediocre production will give management an incentive to spend Rush's money elsewhere (like a backup big or a veteran backup PG).

At this point I don't even think Rush needs to keep up his play. He has displayed all season that he can shoot the 3 consistently at a high clip and that is enough to earn him a 6-7 mil per year contract. Just think of players like Kapono, Nocioni, Korver, and Mike Miller who get an upwards of 5-7 mil a year contract but don't do anything above average outside of shooting 3's. This league pays a small premium for shooters, so at this point I think we're probably going to lose Rush unless the front office feel like he's a valuable asset and decides to match.

On a side note, we did lose Morrow through free agency and he get's 4 mil a year without yearly 10% increase, but he literally doesn't do anything outside of shooting 3's whereas Rush does a little defending, driving, blocking, and rebounding. Honestly, I won't even be surprised if Lacob decides to match any other offers. He's shown that he's willing to spend money by giving up straight cash in exchange for draft picks. It'll be interesting to see what happens to Rush.

P.S. I see you your SI cover girl shoot, 32, and I raise you what I'd like to call "dem asses."
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:19 pm
I hear see the fact that Jefferson is tied up with 2 more years after this season, at about 10 million, and also take into account Dorrel Wright will have one year left in his contract.

So what does that mean, I know alot hinges on our draft as well to see if we get that top 7 pick, so it looks like things will work themselves out after the draft.

With his skill level (Rush), as mentioned by 8th, he does much more than Morrow and Korver, so I do see teams trying to pry him away from us, but for how much, I am willing to sign him to 5-7 mill per year deal, I think that is the amount teams are willing to spend on him. To compare Morrow is making $4 mill, Reddick is making about $6 mill, and Kyle Korver $5 mill.

Signing Rush gives us flexibility at the SF, and SG positions, incase anything happens to Thompson or Jefferson, and play level won't deteriorate, perhaps some would say it might get better.

For the long term and short term investment I say sign Rush. Now I know there are other needs like back up PG, PF, and Center. Now that is the real dilemma, trying to weigh which type of back up Center, PF, and PG to sign while also keeping Rush. Have Jenkins and Tyler shown enough to be solid 2n unit contributes. Like I said after the draft things should work themselves out, but warriors should do all they can to keep Rush.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:15 pm
If the team keeps the lotter pick and either drafts a good starting SF or gets one through trading, Rush should not be kept for anywhere near 7 million a year. In that situation, either let him walk or see if he signs for the MLE or thereabouts, no more than 4 million really, as he will be a backup. McGuire can be resigned for no more than 4 million, I'd prefer for no more than 2 million, and there are always backup SGs and SFs that can be signed to fill the backup spots quite well.

If the team doesn't keep the lottery pick, then they either have to get a good starting SF through a trade, which can be done though would be far more difficult, or they should resign Rush for up to 7 million a year, but for no more than three years

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:36 pm
You don't need to use any exceptions (MLE), because he is still on rookie contract, so as long as we give him the $4 million qualifying offer, we can match what anyone else offers.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:11 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:You don't need to use any exceptions (MLE), because he is still on rookie contract, so as long as we give him the $4 million qualifying offer, we can match what anyone else offers.

So upon further investigation, it looks like we will be over the salary cap even with Nate Robinson and McGuire coming off the books.

Here is our financial situation for the upcoming year:

We are currently at 57 million this year and this years salary cap is 58ish million. Assuming that next year's salary cap is more or less the same, we will be at 62 million with McGuire + Robinson coming off the books and you factor in everyone's 5/10% yearly salary increase.

Now, assuming that Lacob will refuse to go over the luxury tax line, we have about 8 million to spend on Rush, Mid-level exception, Bi-Annual exception, AND signing our draft picks. So basically, we're pretty financially strained unless Lacob decides to go above and beyond and pay some luxury tax because I know for sure nobody is going to take RJ's or Biedrins' contract.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:10 am
Yea, our salary situation is pretty bad with little return and good results. I dont think trading DWright's expirer is a must and maybe that can be cleverly packaged along with either AB or RJeff. That's also why the lottery pick is so important, because it could be used in a trade to get rid of one of the two big unwanted contracts. DWright, AB or RJeff and the lottery pick could get the team a great SF and another player or future pick. Then the team would still have about as much salary as they have now, but much more talent and should have a far better result performance wise

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:07 pm
8th ave wrote:
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:You don't need to use any exceptions (MLE), because he is still on rookie contract, so as long as we give him the $4 million qualifying offer, we can match what anyone else offers.

So upon further investigation, it looks like we will be over the salary cap even with Nate Robinson and McGuire coming off the books.

Here is our financial situation for the upcoming year:

We are currently at 57 million this year and this years salary cap is 58ish million. Assuming that next year's salary cap is more or less the same, we will be at 62 million with McGuire + Robinson coming off the books and you factor in everyone's 5/10% yearly salary increase.

Now, assuming that Lacob will refuse to go over the luxury tax line, we have about 8 million to spend on Rush, Mid-level exception, Bi-Annual exception, AND signing our draft picks. So basically, we're pretty financially strained unless Lacob decides to go above and beyond and pay some luxury tax because I know for sure nobody is going to take RJ's or Biedrins' contract.

McGuire's numbers aren't gonna pay off at the bank for him; we should be able to retain him for about 2 mill. He's a Mark Jackson guy and I doubt we'll let him leave. And if Rush signs a $5 mill/per deal and we match, that pretty much leaves us cash for a draft pick. Nate is almost certainly gone and even though Fitz wants Kwame Brown back, we're more likely to grab a 6'10" junior or senior in an attempt to get an NBA-ready backup big.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:33 pm
Early on I was more in favor of bringing Rush back, but Nate has won me over. His Energy. His ability to get into the paint. Also his assist to TO ratio has been great. The lack of development by Jenkins also worries me, in addition to there are not many good PGs in the draft. I really hope they bring back Nate and McGuire. Rush would
Be a bonus but he has disappeared in a lot during the season.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:00 am
Nateis better than Jenkins, but how much will that little one ask for? We just can't afford any more than 3 million for him, I reckon no more than 2 million actually. He's good, but how much will he play for us next season if the roster is fully healthy.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:20 am
I am positive that Dorel and AB will get traded. You might be surprised on how many teams will want to gamble on a young 7footer. A change in scenery can make wonders to a player that has psychological issues. Dorel is an expiry and has a good contract. Many teams would want him for their bench. To help we will probably have 4 draft pics in a loaded draft and will probably want to keep only one. So either we trade away to open cap space to sign our bench which is doable or we let some players go and replace them with rookies. Many things will be decided after the draft as it will be decisive to know who will be drafted and in what position he plays. If we draft SF the hole talk about Dorel and Mcguire is off since Jeferson is untradable and with the rookie they will cover the SF position. Rush will be a keeper for SG. But even if we don't draft a SF i believe we will trade for one and boy do we have pieces to trade.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:34 am
migya wrote:Nateis better than Jenkins, but how much will that little one ask for? We just can't afford any more than 3 million for him, I reckon no more than 2 million actually. He's good, but how much will he play for us next season if the roster is fully healthy.

I was in favor of Nate over Rush before, but I agree that Nate is probably going to cost too much in comparison - Rush may cost more but when Curry is healthy Nate is far less important whereas I believe Rush could eventually start or at least consume a lot of PT. I'd give Jenkins a shot at backup PG.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:49 am
TRON wrote:I am positive that Dorel and AB will get traded. You might be surprised on how many teams will want to gamble on a young 7footer. A change in scenery can make wonders to a player that has psychological issues. Dorel is an expiry and has a good contract. Many teams would want him for their bench. To help we will probably have 4 draft pics in a loaded draft and will probably want to keep only one. So either we trade away to open cap space to sign our bench which is doable or we let some players go and replace them with rookies. Many things will be decided after the draft as it will be decisive to know who will be drafted and in what position he plays. If we draft SF the hole talk about Dorel and Mcguire is off since Jeferson is untradable and with the rookie they will cover the SF position. Rush will be a keeper for SG. But even if we don't draft a SF i believe we will trade for one and boy do we have pieces to trade.

No team is going to want to take a risk on Andris Biedrins for a lot of reasons. Biedrins has not shown the ability to guard reputable big men without fouling. Biedrins getting into foul trouble occurs almost every game. Not only is he limited on the defensive end, but he is extremely limited not he offensive end, and I'm even going to talk about how atrocious his free throw shooting is. And to put the cherry on top, he is grossly overpaid. Tell me Tron, why a team would take a risk on Andris ( who has virtually no upside/potential) over players like Omer Asik, Chris Kamen, Brook Lopez, Javale McGee, and Roy Hibbert who are all free agents this summer and will command about the same money (maybe a little bit more) as Biedrins? Hell, I'd even take players the likes of Nazr Mohammad, Ronny Turiaf, Robin Lopez, and Mahimni who are also free agents, will command less money, and are more serviceable than our Latvian joke of a center.

I've already talked about this, but we probably aren't going to sign Rush unless Lacob is willing to go over the luxury tax. And as for McGuire and Robinson, neither is probably coming back unless they agree to Mid-Level or Bi-Annual exception, or they decide to come back getting payed the league's vet minimum.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:24 pm
For the same reason we gave him that contract. If he gets back to that kind of playing he is a pretty good center. And young. I want even be surprised if he gets traded and start playing well. Plus there are some contenders willing to pay him simply because they don't have a true center in their roster. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Dallas as a trade centrepiece for Odom.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball