Lottery/7th pick/tank schedule

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:34 pm
Last nights win against Denver makes our loss to the Hornets meaningless...
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:41 pm
migya wrote:It was an awful win, just like the one against the TWolves. Nugs are a playoff team so it is not safe playing good teams now.

Other lottery teams below us are also resting players, like Kings and Cavs so unlikely they'll pass us. It will have to be Detroit and either Toronto or New Jersey or hopefully both. 5th is still possible, but that's more mathematical than anything else now

I think it would be nice to keep the pick, but to get mad if we do t get it.... I'm not sure I agree with it. If we tanked we maybe would end up with 6th or 7th pick for a rotational player. We have lots of those right now. There is no one in that range that I would be like wow! So really the only guys I would be upset for not getting are in the top 5. For those we would have had to win lottery anyway, which is still possible.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:45 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:
migya wrote:It was an awful win, just like the one against the TWolves. Nugs are a playoff team so it is not safe playing good teams now.

Other lottery teams below us are also resting players, like Kings and Cavs so unlikely they'll pass us. It will have to be Detroit and either Toronto or New Jersey or hopefully both. 5th is still possible, but that's more mathematical than anything else now

I think it would be nice to keep the pick, but to get mad if we do t get it.... I'm not sure I agree with it. If we tanked we maybe would end up with 6th or 7th pick for a rotational player. We have lots of those right now. There is no one in that range that I would be like wow! So really the only guys I would be upset for not getting are in the top 5. For those we would have had to win lottery anyway, which is still possible.

Davis is clear #1 in this draft. I've read in quite a few places that his teammate MKG is likely the #2. After that it looks like there are about six or seven players that can go in any sort of order and most at least starting caliber players in the nba.

I'd rather trade that pick along at least one other player for an established SF that is very good and plays both ends, but that doesn't mean a very good SF or some other player can't be taken in the lottery

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:44 pm
One interesting bit that no one has mentioned yet is that Jerry West has come out and said that his drafting philosophy is to draft the best available player. The question is, however, who the hell is the best player after Davis? It's a pretty tight race from 2-7 if you ask me.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:43 am
The draft should always be the best available player, and not on needs. And from 2-7 is pretty closely grouped, can't go wrong with many on that list. I wouldn't trade the pick.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:02 am
Unless there's a real difference maker, trading the pick is probably the best choice to get better now and for at least the next three years. Rookies are cheap, that's a big good thing, but the fact they're unknown quality is the big factor

Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:44 am
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:54 pm
The team got spanked tonight, hopefully demoralising them and making them quit on the rest of the games. Unfortunately, looks like Detroit already has quit, getting smashed by the Magic minus Dwight. Toronto also lost, so no ground gained.

Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:10 am
Yes, it's gonna be tough to get that protected pick, but as long we have that chance, we should try. It's not like we can gain anything by winning few meaningless games.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:39 am
And we have won two meaningless games, against TWolves and Nugs. Hopefully there isn't anymore, wins at all

Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:57 am

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:39 pm
Guybrush wrote:Yes, it's gonna be tough to get that protected pick, but as long we have that chance, we should try. It's not like we can gain anything by winning few meaningless games.

The problem is Warriors do what is opposite of the expectation at the wrong time. Warriors wanted to win games to get into the playoffs this season, but lose more games than win to qualify for playoffs. Now they are expected to tank badly to get better chance of getting top 7 pick, but they win enough games to be out of the top 7 pick.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:20 am
Cavs win, but New Jersey and Kings lost. Netsgot spanked against a fading Philly team, thnk they're not trying to win themselves. Kings look like they've been tanking for a while now and we won't pass them

Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:58 am
Yeah, I am pretty close to taking the Kings out of these standings. The only positive here is that DET and NJ are only one game behind us in the win column.

Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:27 am
FYI, here are the lottery probabilities of landing a top 7 pick based on regular season finish.

9th -- 6.1%
8th -- 10.0%
7th -- 74.9%
6th -- 95.9%
5th -- 99.7%
4th -- 100%
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball