Time for a new coach.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:47 pm
32 wrote:MJax will be alright. Does no one remember what our defense looked like last year? Having an emphasis on that side of the ball is a plus for me.

Also, difference between NellieBall and what Jax is doing is that Nellie would play 5 wings with a fully healthy roster. I know it's ugly to see RJ or McGuire at center, but we just pushed through a period where we traded our starting 5 (Udoh) for an injured player (Bogut), along with our previously injured backup (Brown), our current backup (Biedrins) was hurt, and David Lee is playing 43, 44 minutes a night. Some would go to Tyler more often, but Jackson's not feeling him. Even amongst his 14 and 5 game yesterday, the big rookie was -12 on the court. I can't condemn Jackson cause, truth be told, I like how the team operates with healthy personnel.

Also, ownership wants to run ****. Last thing they wanna do is hire Stan Van, who always seems to bump with ownership at every location.

Isn't Mike Malone actually coming up with the plays and Mark Jackson is the hype man energy booster for the player. Either by start of next season Mark Jackson know how to coach off the court and on the court as good or half as good as Mike Malone at least or get a really good assistant to help. I think Mike Malone might leave for coaching jobs that are available this summer. It wouldn't be a problem if they have a great player or 2, but they don't.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:56 pm
M Jax is secure for right now, but I think should be on a relatively short leash next year. He hasn't really proven much to me this year, and some of his substitution patterns in the 4th quarters and at the end of games have been terrible. I think Malone sticks around, because if Jackson fails he'll be promoted, and will have a roster with one of the best defensive C's in the game which should really help him implement his system. If we do well and Jackson keeps his job, Malone will be seen as the orchestrator of turning another teams defense around and will get some better job offers. I don't think any of the ones available right now would that attractive to him, except maybe the Knicks, but they'll likely go for a big name coach.
Get Money. Get Paid.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:09 pm
Dr. Spaceman wrote:M Jax is secure for right now, but I think should be on a relatively short leash next year. He hasn't really proven much to me this year, and some of his substitution patterns in the 4th quarters and at the end of games have been terrible. I think Malone sticks around, because if Jackson fails he'll be promoted, and will have a roster with one of the best defensive C's in the game which should really help him implement his system. If we do well and Jackson keeps his job, Malone will be seen as the orchestrator of turning another teams defense around and will get some better job offers. I don't think any of the ones available right now would that attractive to him, except maybe the Knicks, but they'll likely go for a big name coach.

Although the Clipper job is bad job because of Donal Sterling, that roster is good with Chris Paul(coach him in New Orleans) a great PG, Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan in the front court is a attractive job depending on his itch to become a head coach. He has been a assistant for awhile now and I just feel he wants to be an head coach. There Washington, Blazers, Orlando, and New York going to be open and it also depends on the draft position for Washington and Blazers.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:23 pm
fullmetalx wrote:
Dr. Spaceman wrote:M Jax is secure for right now, but I think should be on a relatively short leash next year. He hasn't really proven much to me this year, and some of his substitution patterns in the 4th quarters and at the end of games have been terrible. I think Malone sticks around, because if Jackson fails he'll be promoted, and will have a roster with one of the best defensive C's in the game which should really help him implement his system. If we do well and Jackson keeps his job, Malone will be seen as the orchestrator of turning another teams defense around and will get some better job offers. I don't think any of the ones available right now would that attractive to him, except maybe the Knicks, but they'll likely go for a big name coach.

Although the Clipper job is bad job because of Donal Sterling, that roster is good with Chris Paul(coach him in New Orleans) a great PG, Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan in the front court is a attractive job depending on his itch to become a head coach. He has been a assistant for awhile now and I just feel he wants to be an head coach. There Washington, Blazers, Orlando, and New York going to be open and it also depends on the draft position for Washington and Blazers.

True, forgot about the Clippers. I'm hoping they win a 1st round matchup so VDR sticks around and drags them down during CP3's final year. That would be an attractive job though for sure.

Forgot about the Blazers job, I guess that's possible. Knicks are doing well with a highly regarded defensive assistant in Woodson, so I guess it's possible, but I see them going hard after Phil and Sloan.

I doubt he goes to Orlando. SVG is a defensive coach, and Dwight has grown sour with having a coach who is offensively a bit over his head when it comes to end of games and big games.

Washington is possible with Wall, but I could see him holding out for another job if he thinks there's a strong possibility of an opening (kinda like how Thibs waited for the Bulls job to open despite being a top candidate for a few offseasons prior).
Get Money. Get Paid.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:51 am
All year long it became apparent that Malone was the real coach in our team and MJac was the motivational speaker. One could argue that this could work. Given that Malone has no ambition of being a coach. Turns out he has and he is as good as gone. And now that leaves us in a position to hire a young assistant to do all the work behind MJac only to lose him next year probably, or to hire an experienced assistant who spend all his carrier being an assistant, or hire a really good coach to lead this team period. Maybe Mjac could become a good coach some day but wouldn't be more logical to sign him as assistant for a couple of years under a more experienced coach and then promote him? Of course we didn't do that and now we are in an awkward position. To make matters worse he is a big mouth throwing promises all around. And we are in a position next year to be a very good team with the right moves this summer. Looks like to me that we burned him and he burned us.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:40 am
Stan Van Gundy's time as the Orlando Magic's head coach could end after the season, if the rumors are true that Dwight Howard wants him gone.

According to Vittorio Tafur of the San Francisco Chronicle, Golden State assistant coach Mike Malone could be Van Gundy's replacement.

Tafur writes: "The Los Angeles Clippers, Washington Wizards, Orlando Magic and Portland Trail Blazers will need head coaches, to name a few teams, and one league source said 'it's a lock' that Malone will have a head-coaching job next season. Orlando center Dwight Howard reportedly has told team officials that he wants Malone to be the Magic's next head coach."

Malone is one of the best assistants in the NBA and reportedly he signed a three-year, $2.25 million contract with Golden State after Mark Jackson was hired as their head coach. That would make him the highest paid assistant in the NBA.

"For all the talk about trading for Andrew Bogut, they're going to have a huge hole on the bench they need to fill," one league executive said.

Time for a new assistant head coach?
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:31 am
In a shortened season, I don't see them replacing Jackson after this season, but I would like to see him replaced if this team misses the playoffs next season. Assessing MJax's coaching is hard, because he really doesn't coach the team. He's the Mike Singletary of the NBA. He's not an X's and O's guy. If you notice that during huddles and when plays need to be drawn up, its Mike Malone doing the coaching. Sometimes, I just don't get his coaching skills. David Lee could get hot, make 4 shots in a row while the Warriors are climbing back in a game and he'll take him out of the game. He does that over and over whether its with Thompson or anyone else.

I wasn't a big fan of the hiring of Mark Jackson. He doesn't have any coaching experience. EVER. Not at the NBA level. Not at the college level. Not even at the high school level. I don't think you hire someone like to be your coach if you want to win.
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball