Lottery/7th pick/tank schedule

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:59 am
migya wrote:
JREED wrote:
migya wrote:Kidd-Gilchrist (MKG) looks pretty good, but not Barnes, I just don't like how he plays, nothing that good and he might not even be starting SF material. The much safer bet is to let other GMs rave about a player's potential and give them the pick for a proven player.

Think about it, by trading the lottery pick, plus either aB or RJeff, that's salary gone and for the next two years. Best case scenario. You kidding me, if could trade the lottery pick and either AB or RJeff and get back a very good SF that plays both ends, I'd be so stoked. The team is pretty set to make a run as a longterm playoff one and one very good piece is needed to make it a real contender. Keeping the lottery pick and making such a trade would likely take the team to the upper level

Agreed, trading the pick which is not guaranteed to bring in a starting caliber player for a solid starter and cap room would be perfect. If that happens then we will have successfully balanced out all of our moves with others:

Trade Ellis + Udoh for Bogut and Jackson - Feelings: "Well we had to do something, no decent FA was coming here..." "But really!? We had to give them Udoh also!?! And we took back SJax!?!!..." "Couldn't we have at least got a 1st rounder out of it!?..."
THEN:
Trade Jackson for Jefferson + 1st rounder: "OK Jefferson's contract is pretty gnarly, but he'll contribute more than SJax and we got that 1st round pick!"... Jefferson plays... "Crap! This guy doesn't have much left in the tank! How much is that contract?... :drinking:...There goes our cap space"

I just don't think Udoh will ever be more than a pretty good backup big and those you can get easily, even in the 2nd round of a draft, which might happen in this draft. That trade for Bogut was somewhat of a steal just on changing things in the team, just for possibility of winning. Trading SJack for RJeff was very understandable and the only set back was that RJeff has two more years left on his contract, SJack just had one. I'll take that and if we can't trade RJeff this offseason, next one he is a very big expirer that can be used in a trade to get something good, so no hassle.

The best case scenario, without making a trade for a superstar (which in itself would not be easy), or trading the lottery pick (either imagine we don't keep it, I'm just focussing on current roster being used in moves), would be to trade DWright's expirer for a future draft pick, be it 2nd rounder. That capspace be used to get a pretty good SF that is better than the ones currently here and who plays both ends. Someone like GWallace, a free agent at season's end. for about 7 million for two or even three eyars, no more as he is not young and has produced less since going to Portland, though a very good defensive player and pretty good offensively. Go with that roster for next season, which would be good enough for a top 5-6 finish in the West for sure. Next offseason, with AB and RJeff expirers, look to make one huge trade or two pretty big trades, dumping their salaries on a team looking for cap space and either get a very good player or two or lottery 1st rounders (which is not easy to predict that team would be in the lottery, but the premise being there). If Curry and/or Klay (even GWallace if he doesn't perform properly as expected, even Lee and Bogut if they don't work well, mostly Lee) don't perform well, playing proper defense being a main issue, they can be traded, better after getting players to replace them with AB and RJeff trade. Maybe couple one or both of them with either AB or RJeff to get a better player at their position, be it Rondo for Curry or a SG like Iguodala.

Definate options for a competent FO. Let's see if we really have one

Never really though Udoh would be much more than a solid defensive, bench player, but how many of those have we really had over the years? From what I understand, the general feeling is that the Bucks got slightly more out of the deal (since they got two players they would keep and unloaded dead weight) and we should have at least pushed for a 1st rounder. We then get that first rounder which in most people's eyes, made the previous move about even, but we had to take on Jefferson's contract. Now if we can unload Jefferson or someone like Beans and recoup some money then all things will be equal and overall we will have made a nice sequence of moves.

No way Lee goes anywhere, aside from being the owner's pet and our best player, nobody is going to take that contract - never will happen.

I could see a 1st rounder (or two) packaged with someone like Beans/Jefferson for a decent starting SF and cap relief - OR - those picks + Wright/Thompson/(basically anyone but Lee or Bogut that has some decent value) for an allstar caliber player. I'd be down for a Rondo/Curry swap - i wish we would have done it when it was on the table, but everyone was still riding Curry's jock at the time, now everyone knows he has bad ankles and we're stuck with him until he can prove that he can last a season.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:26 pm
You say Stuck with curry like that is a bad thing. I think Curry is the best pick of that draft year right after Griffin, and we got him at 6. We haven't seen a 100% healthy Curry since his draft year. And even playing hobbled he has been good. His turnover rate has been poor, but once he gets consistent time he will get past that.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:44 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:You say Stuck with curry like that is a bad thing. I think Curry is the best pick of that draft year right after Griffin, and we got him at 6. We haven't seen a 100% healthy Curry since his draft year. And even playing hobbled he has been good. His turnover rate has been poor, but once he gets consistent time he will get past that.

Well next season will be pivotal year for Curry to see if he can stay healthy and improve his game, because he hasn't been healthy to play games and improve his game.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:10 pm
God dammit, Toronto. You guys couldn't beat Cleveland at home?! fuk....
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:47 pm
Yea, Toronto should have won, a big loss that was. Same with Detroit losing, though that was somewhat expected against Atlanta. New Jersey won against Washingto as expected and that gives them 20 wins, one behind us and Detroit.

Still looking pretty good, but totally up in the air with how it will all end.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:02 pm
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:16 am
Two games behind Toronto and they only have ten games to play, we have twelve. Can be done, but might actually come down to the last couple of games. Do get 6th spot, to be safeer, 2.5 games behind both Net, who only have nine games left, the Kings, who have eleven games left, and Cavs who have thirteen games left. Maybe Kings or Cavs will be the ones to win a few more games. Interesting.

Actually Hobbes, if you don't mind, I'd like to put that lottery standings pic in the first post in this thread as well, as it helps show where we are.

All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:45 am
We have 12 games left, assuming we win 2 of those, which is a fair assumption, Detroit will need 3 more wins this season, and NJ 4 more games. Toronto is looking unlit as they need 4 more wins but they have a brutal schedule left. Sac has a tough schedule too.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:10 am
Damn, I was hoping, and almost sure, that Toronto would win. Well, at least Cleveland is not far from them, and us. So, I believe that not all of those teams, and we are just 2,5 wins away from the 4th place now, will lose out. We still have a chance of reaching that 7th, or hopefully 6h or even 5th place.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:13 am
Just checked, Toronto lost last quarter by 33 to 17. #-o It looks like they're doing what Warriors are doing...though, we somehow still manage to win now and then.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:09 am
We can't win more than one game otherwise forget it pretty much

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:06 am
When is the lottery?
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:19 am
Absolute d-heads! Another meaningless win and pretty can kiss our lottery pick goodbye, unless we get lucky and get lotteried into the top 3

Site Admin
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:37 am
That was a huge hit to the tank patrol last night. If they go any better than 1-10 to finish out, I think they are done. They are going to have lose all 11 to finish 6th or better.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:22 am
It was an awful win, just like the one against the TWolves. Nugs are a playoff team so it is not safe playing good teams now.

Other lottery teams below us are also resting players, like Kings and Cavs so unlikely they'll pass us. It will have to be Detroit and either Toronto or New Jersey or hopefully both. 5th is still possible, but that's more mathematical than anything else now

PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball