If the team got #1 pick

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:09 pm
All of these comments make some sense..but David Lee won't be asked to cover premier Centers when Bogut comes on board..obviously, a lot of the Centers are going to have big games when going against Lee..if he covers players in his own position, he's average..maybe slightly above average which is okay with his offensive proficiency. If he can get stuck with blocking his own size/position, his offense will more than make up for his defense.
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:36 am
Lee/Bogut will be a dynamic post combo that will feed off each other real well. Both are good passers, good bball IQ, Bogut is known for his defensive presence but is no slouch on offense either, if Lee builds a consistent jumper they will be lethal.
All this team needs to worry about are injuries, the play of Klay, and whether Jefferson can hold it down at the SF position.

If Drummond falls, the 6'11 center from Uconn, would you guys take a risk on him ?
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:51 am
Prior to this season I was all for drafting Drummond, but since he didn't really have a good season, and we got Bogut, that is a bit of a question now. If we do manage to get a starting SF in FA, then I'm again for drafting Drummond. He has tons of potential.

And to the McGuire talk...he is a good defender, but as said, his offense is bad, and therefore he's not a starter in the NBA. I'd like it for us to really tank and get a good SF in the draft. And McGuire is playing less than 10 minutes a game...might be one of those guys that Jackson is not happy with.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:00 am
Guybrush wrote:Prior to this season I was all for drafting Drummond, but since he didn't really have a good season, and we got Bogut, that is a bit of a question now. If we do manage to get a starting SF in FA, then I'm again for drafting Drummond. He has tons of potential.

And to the McGuire talk...he is a good defender, but as said, his offense is bad, and therefore he's not a starter in the NBA. I'd like it for us to really tank and get a good SF in the draft. And McGuire is playing less than 10 minutes a game...might be one of those guys that Jackson is not happy with.

I agree on that, because the level of SF at the draft is on a great level, that if we pick either Barnes or Gilchrist then they can come in and be productive immediately, almost a no risk factor.

AM not sure though how Jefferson will blend or play, am willing to take that risk on him more than Dorrell, but I can take either scenery.

As far as FA, am not sure there are any via-able targets out there, or we have room to pick a solid game changing SF, if we do, then I would also go Drummond route or take a risk on Perry Jones.

I am horrible at this drafting thing, I thought Earl Clark, 6'9 PF who plays for the magic was gonna have impact in the league boy I was wrong, so with drafts no one really knows.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:26 am
warriorsstepup wrote:
Guybrush wrote:Prior to this season I was all for drafting Drummond, but since he didn't really have a good season, and we got Bogut, that is a bit of a question now. If we do manage to get a starting SF in FA, then I'm again for drafting Drummond. He has tons of potential.

I agree on that, because the level of SF at the draft is on a great level, that if we pick either Barnes or Gilchrist then they can come in and be productive immediately, almost a no risk factor.

AM not sure though how Jefferson will blend or play, am willing to take that risk on him more than Dorrell, but I can take either scenery.

As far as FA, am not sure there are any via-able targets out there, or we have room to pick a solid game changing SF, if we do, then I would also go Drummond route or take a risk on Perry Jones.

I am horrible at this drafting thing, I thought Earl Clark, 6'9 PF who plays for the magic was gonna have impact in the league boy I was wrong, so with drafts no one really knows.

Yeah, I agree with that, there are real good talents at SF position on this year's draft. And I would rather keep Jefferson than Dorell. Richard is older, true, but he has better all-around game, even if he's not the slasher that he used to be during his younger days. He can be helpful off the bench at least, and he could start until newly drafted rookie is ready to start (if not right away).

And also agreed that it is hard to predict who's gonna turnout to be a good player...really big difference between college and professional basketball.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:49 am
Guybrush wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:

Yeah, I agree with that, there are real good talents at SF position on this year's draft. And I would rather keep Jefferson than Dorell. Richard is older, true, but he has better all-around game, even if he's not the slasher that he used to be during his younger days. He can be helpful off the bench at least, and he could start until newly drafted rookie is ready to start (if not right away).

And also agreed that it is hard to predict who's gonna turnout to be a good player...really big difference between college and professional basketball.

Certainly you can't be sure whether a player picked in the draft will be good in the nba or not. Only sure things like Anthony Davis you can be sure or about, but many times a highly touted player can be a bust or not very effective and become like a bench player their whole careers. That's why I'm much more for trading the lottery pick in a package for a really good player, right now preferably at SF as that is the biggest position of need right now.

In saying that, if we could get Drummond, who I think looks like a bust in the waiting, I'd get him just to trade for high value, as most value him very highly. Getting a top 3 pick will do wonders for the team if used well. Seriously, imaging if we got the #3 in this draft. That pick could be packaged with AB or RJeff for a real good player, be it JSmith, Iguodala, maybe even in a big trade to Orlando for a resigned Dwight. I do believe (alot in fact) that Orlando should and will make a trade of Dwight if he doesn't resign there this offseason. They got screwed enough when he said he wasn't going to resign last offseason and they have to be real concerned now at losing him for nothing in just over a year. I'd trade the #3 pick, Bogut and either AB or RJeff for resigned Dwight and fillers, like Turkoglu. We'd be attractive for free agents than and finally have our superstar, though all a dream scenario, but possible given the Dwight situation

migya make the ring fall on ya
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:12 am
Guybrush wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:

Well there's good scouts and bad scouts so there's gotta be some method to it lol

A lot of the stuff that matters to the next level but doesn't show up on the stat sheet or athletic jumping contests are the intangibles, which may be harder to measure off first glance. How is this player's composure during crunch time, understanding of the game, work ethic, ability to make his teammates better, heart, competitiveness, impact on the game, etc. Players with an innate competitive fire and who hate to lose usually do better....cuz it will push them that much further. Someone like Mike Dunleavy Jr. comes to mind as an 'almost' player. His height/size was there, his skills were there, his basketball IQ was there. But from what I saw on the court, he lacked that competitiveness / tough side. skills + bball iq + decent athleticism + competitive fire + work ethic usually translates well from college to NBA.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:25 pm
My Big board looks like this:
1) Davis
2a) Drummond
2b) MKG
3) Robinson

If anyone has been paying attention over the last couple decades, it is apparent that even with Bogut and Lee, we need DEPTH with our bigs. Davis would be an AMAZING first big off the bench. He would anchor our 2nd line defensively and be the #1/2 option offensively with his jumper and ball-handling skills. Those two skills also make it possible for him to play some 3 with the other two guys as his speed and length would allow him to cover that position pretty well in my opinion.

Drummond looks like he should have about a Derrick Favors type floor, so at least he would be able to provide a big off the bench who can be a defensive monster. He also has a ton of skill as a passer and ball-handler so could be a home run if given time to develop as a back up big. Biedrins actually have very good post moves, just awful touch. If we can develop his awkward a** I think Drummond could be a great pick.

MKG plays with great motor and intensity. He almost reminds me of a KG from the SF position. He will affect the game on both ends of the floor and with Curry and Klay's shooting could be a great slasher. Would like him to improve his midrange game and outside shot though. Plus we have a lot of wing players already so I'd want some traded so he could get valuable PT.

Robinson should be a very solid backup big, 2nd unit 1st option type guy on the 2nd line. Great motor, intensity, good athleticism, nice outside shot. Would love to have him, but if someone was in love with him I would have no problem listening to trade offers.
Get Money. Get Paid.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:02 pm
Dr. Spaceman wrote:My Big board looks like this:
1) Davis
2a) Drummond
2b) MKG
3) Robinson

If anyone has been paying attention over the last couple decades, it is apparent that even with Bogut and Lee, we need DEPTH with our bigs. Davis would be an AMAZING first big off the bench. He would anchor our 2nd line defensively and be the #1/2 option offensively with his jumper and ball-handling skills. Those two skills also make it possible for him to play some 3 with the other two guys as his speed and length would allow him to cover that position pretty well in my opinion.

Drummond looks like he should have about a Derrick Favors type floor, so at least he would be able to provide a big off the bench who can be a defensive monster. He also has a ton of skill as a passer and ball-handler so could be a home run if given time to develop as a back up big. Biedrins actually have very good post moves, just awful touch. If we can develop his awkward a** I think Drummond could be a great pick.

MKG plays with great motor and intensity. He almost reminds me of a KG from the SF position. He will affect the game on both ends of the floor and with Curry and Klay's shooting could be a great slasher. Would like him to improve his midrange game and outside shot though. Plus we have a lot of wing players already so I'd want some traded so he could get valuable PT.

Robinson should be a very solid backup big, 2nd unit 1st option type guy on the 2nd line. Great motor, intensity, good athleticism, nice outside shot. Would love to have him, but if someone was in love with him I would have no problem listening to trade offers.

Obviously Davis is the pick if we got #1 and though he has great speed and athleticism to go with his incredible length and defense, I don't think he is any sort of choice for SF, at least not longterm, but in spurts could cause nightmares for the opposition, depending on who the opposing SF is. I think Lee has to be traded in that scenario, for a very good SF or at least pretty good starting SF (like Prince of Detroit) and good backup big.

There are options, but trading the lottery pick for a proven contributor is much safer and the right move for a team looking to become a regular playoff one and a contender

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:12 am
starting SF or backup bigman are the obvious positions it seems. so do you go for the starter, the backup bigman (who may get disgruntled eventually if he wants to start), go for the best player available, or trade the pick?

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:21 am
rockyBeli wrote:
Guybrush wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:

Well there's good scouts and bad scouts so there's gotta be some method to it lol

A lot of the stuff that matters to the next level but doesn't show up on the stat sheet or athletic jumping contests are the intangibles, which may be harder to measure off first glance. How is this player's composure during crunch time, understanding of the game, work ethic, ability to make his teammates better, heart, competitiveness, impact on the game, etc. Players with an innate competitive fire and who hate to lose usually do better....cuz it will push them that much further. Someone like Mike Dunleavy Jr. comes to mind as an 'almost' player. His height/size was there, his skills were there, his basketball IQ was there. But from what I saw on the court, he lacked that competitiveness / tough side. skills + bball iq + decent athleticism + competitive fire + work ethic usually translates well from college to NBA.

Perception is how see certain players, whether through hype or mind blowing highlight films we as fans only pick up the brilliance and strong points of the players game. In order to really evaluate a player they must be followed thoroughly through out the entire collegiate season. As Rocky mentioned “other stuff” comes to play, other intangible other than what is seen through brief highlights, ex: work ethic, feel for the game, heart, competitiveness, etc, etc.
Players I think have those “other intangibles” include Robinson, Davis, not so sure about Perry Jones or Drumond, others am on the fence.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:09 am
rockyBeli wrote:starting SF or backup bigman are the obvious positions it seems. so do you go for the starter, the backup bigman (who may get disgruntled eventually if he wants to start), go for the best player available, or trade the pick?

For me, if you keep the pick, in this draft if you're not in the top 2 or 3, you are better off going with BPA. If it's not Davis or MKG, you don't really try to fill needs, though there are quite a few bigs coming out, so if the team wanted to keep the lottery pick, even at say 7th, a pretty good big could be chosen.

As I've said, unless it's the #1 pick, I'd rather trade the pick in a package for a proven very good player, preferably at SF, the weak position right now. Wonder what the chance is to trade up in the draft, probably none, as everyone will be going for Davis and keep him if they got him, but if we got the #3 pick, maybe trading that and Lee would get us Davis? I'd do that to be honest and put Davis at PF next to Bogut

Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:38 am
For the first time in many, many years i feel confident going to the draft. Reason is the new FO had a fantastic draft day last year. Klay drafted 11th is a top 3-4 rookie, Jenkins drafted in second round is in top 10-12, even Tyler shows potential. I believe only Cleveland got better than the Warriors did throw draft last year but they had higher picks. West did a fantastic job. He was routing for Klay when no mock draft projected him in top 20. I believe fo will get that pick back even if they have to trade for it and i am pretty excited about it. We have players to give up ( AB, Dorrel) plus many picks.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:52 am
I like Robinson as a backup 4. Dude can't play center though. Unless Chuck Hayes is wearing us out.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:44 pm
Its crazy yahoo has Robinson at 8th pick and Henson ahead of him, majority of drafting sight have Robinson going top 3. Overall decent enough description to get familiar with names.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--2012- ... G0pPu8vLYF

Kentucky freshman forward Anthony Davis is widely viewed as the consensus No. 1 pick in the 2012 NBA draft by the league's general managers and scouts. The big question: Who will go No. 2?

Connecticut freshman center Andre Drummond, Kentucky freshman forward Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Florida freshman guard Bradley Beal and North Carolina sophomore forward Harrison Barnes will all receive consideration, league executives and scouts told Yahoo! Sports.

Kentucky forward Michael Kidd-Gilchrist could go as high as No. 2 in the 2012 NBA draft. (AP) "It's a very good draft with good players – not franchise players," one NBA assistant general manager said. "In 2003, there were four or five guys that became perennial All-Stars, some who could be Hall of Famers.

"If you were looking for a franchise player, this draft has only one in Anthony Davis. But after that, this draft has a lot of foundation guys that can play for a long time."

[ Related: Two Kentucky players top the Yahoo! Sports Freshman All-America basketball team ]

With college underclassmen beginning to declare for the June 28 draft, NBA teams are putting together their wish lists. Here's a look at the players who could be taken in the top 10 picks.

1. Anthony Davis, Kentucky, Fresh., 6-10, 220 pounds, PF/C – Scout's opinion: "People compare him to Hakeem Olajuwon or Patrick Ewing, but if you compare their freshman numbers, Davis' are probably better. He blocks shots, rebounds and changes the team approach defensively. He was a guard four years ago, before he grew, but he is grasping the concept of being a big man."

2. Andre Drummond, Connecticut, Fresh., 6-10, 251 pounds, C – Scout's opinion: "He's very big. He's probably the most physically prepared guy in draft. You look at him and his body says, 'NBA center,' but his game doesn't match his body. In his defense, it takes big men more time to develop."

3. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Kentucky, Fresh., 6-7, 228 pounds, SF – Scout's opinion: "He's tough. He's everything you want in a small forward – big, aggressive. He can't shoot it well, but he can get better at it. Can't-miss prospect."

4. Harrison Barnes, North Carolina, Soph., 6-8, 223 pounds, SF – Scout's opinion: "He has a chance to be the second pick. He's as safe a pick as there is. He's consistently scored since high school. He consistently scored more than most in the draft. Some say he's one dimensional, but he can shoot the ball, which every coach wants."

5. Bradley Beal, Florida, Fresh., 6-4, 201 pounds, SG – Scout's opinion: "He's a great shooter. He defends, he rebounds very well for his position. He's a very smart kid."

6. John Henson, North Carolina, Soph., 6-11, 220 pounds, PF – Scout's opinion: "He was the Defensive Player of the Year in the ACC and he blocks shots, rebounds, is long and can finish in transition. He's improved every year at North Carolina. The biggest issue for him is filling out his body."

[ Related: Thomas Robinson brings along 9-year-old sister in declaring for NBA draft ]

7. Perry Jones III, Baylor, Soph., 6-11, 220 pounds, PF – Scout's opinion: "He has no heart, but he's the best talent available after Anthony Davis. Your owner could end up saying, 'How did me miss on this kid?' It's a gamble, but after a while if he keeps getting passed up it's a no brainer."

8. Thomas Robinson, Kansas, Jr., 6-9, 240 pounds, PF – Scout's opinion: "He's a steady player. He has improved every year. A little undersized at his position, he showed toughness after returning to play after losing his mother. Tough to do. Through it all he still got better as a player."

9. Jared Sullinger, Ohio State, Soph., 6-9, 280 pounds, PF – Scout's opinion: "Good hands. Wide body. Good basketball IQ. He can face up and play away from the basket. He lacks athleticism and explosion, which is a concern at his size. I think he is 6-foot-8 and he plays like a center."

10. Cody Zeller, Indiana, Fresh., 6-11, 215 pounds, C – Scout's opinion: "He's a very skilled and good player. At his age and position, he will get better. But he has short arms and doesn't rebound well."

Other candidates: Connecticut guard Jeremy Lamb; Kentucky forward Terrence Jones; Illinois center Meyers Leonard; Weber State guard Damian Lillard; North Carolina guard Kendall Marshall; Baylor forward Quincy Miller; Duke guard Austin Rivers; Syracuse guard Dion Waiters; North Carolina center Tyler Zeller.

PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball