Time for a new coach.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:40 pm
facue420 wrote:get jerry slone or phil jackson, them two are proved to be hof coaches. D'Antoni is a bad coach, he yells at his players in the locker room. and he has 0 ring.

Nate McMillan just got fired from the Blazers. He'd probably be a good coach for this Warriors team. He has had quite some success in his short time as coach

migya make the ring fall on ya
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:36 pm
Yeah, I'm "eh" on Mark Jackson...but I'd definitely like to see how he does WITH a full training camp and preseason...I'd say give the guy a break as he's new but he's been able to keep them near .500 all season with just a limited time with the players, training, etc.
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:02 am
I'm not giving Jackson credit for keeping our team near 500. Heck, someone a bit earlier mentioned how this is a players' league, and that the coaches don't have that much influence on the game.

Keep in mind one thing, this team, with the same core of players has been close to 500. no matter who the coach was. Regardless of anything else...that was the lowest we could go with those players, cause even if we had the worst coach ever, Monta and Curry and Lee would keep our team close to that score based on only their talent. If Jackson was really good, he would upgrade that...these players knew each other, the best players, and the bench would settle in with time, and they did. And we were still the same. Put anyone on our bench to coach the team like we had before the trades, and it would be at worst close to 500. Good coach would move us above that.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:26 am
Well, it's not that he is just keeping them near .500..it's that he's done it with more distractions during an offseason and absolutely no contact with the players until like up to 3 weeks before the start of the season. 2 game preseason? That's no time to see what you have as a coach. I know it's a player's league..but you can only do so much when the coach is calling the shots. Now, I'm not a Mark Jackson supporter..just a realist knowing it's gotta be tough to come in as a brand new coach to a shortened season and no training camp. I would just be interested in seeing how he'd do with a full season and some defensive players (and legit Center) thrown in there.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:27 am
I hear your side though..I hear ya.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:35 am
1. He spend half this season to start Udoh in Center. A good coach would do that in the second week.
2. He said that he would lead the same team than Smart coached (with a lot better bench) to the playoffs declaring himself a better coach than Smart in the process. Did not happen.
3. A team that losses close game all the time means that has a bad coach.
4. A team that doesn't play a lot better in the second half means that has a bad coach
5. A coach that all he does is playing after the other teams roster has no plan for his own.
6. A coach that doesn't understand that the minute we made the trade,s the season is lost and he have to play his rookies is a fool.
I Know he is a new coach. Hell it is not his fault. This is FO fault. Correct it.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:30 pm
Looks like Stan Van Gundy WILL be available this summer. M i the only one intrigued?

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:41 pm
TRON wrote:Looks like Stan Van Gundy WILL be available this summer. M i the only one intrigued?

He'd definately be an option and one of the ebst ones. Don't think the FO wants to give up on MJackson so fast, but it'd be the smartest move to go for SVG right away. Even McMillan would be a better option than keeping MJack

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:12 pm
migya wrote:
TRON wrote:Looks like Stan Van Gundy WILL be available this summer. M i the only one intrigued?

He'd definately be an option and one of the ebst ones. Don't think the FO wants to give up on MJackson so fast, but it'd be the smartest move to go for SVG right away. Even McMillan would be a better option than keeping MJack

The problem is the front office, because they want to make it to the playoffs right away, but hire a guy who never coach before. It like Warriors are hoping he understands all the details of being a coach real fast, but I don't think it's going to work. I see this as another fail experiment for the front office. He more of the recruiter the motivation speaker to bring out energy from the player; Mike Malone is the one who draws up the plays for this team. For Mark Jackson to look like he is a good coach he needs veteran players who has great talent, so he doesn't have to teach or draw up plays that much and rely on his assistants.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:02 pm
fullmetalx wrote:
migya wrote:

The problem is the front office, because they want to make it to the playoffs right away, but hire a guy who never coach before. It like Warriors are hoping he understands all the details of being a coach real fast, but I don't think it's going to work. I see this as another fail experiment for the front office. He more of the recruiter the motivation speaker to bring out energy from the player; Mike Malone is the one who draws up the plays for this team. For Mark Jackson to look like he is a good coach he needs veteran players who has great talent, so he doesn't have to teach or draw up plays that much and rely on his assistants.

That's proabably the case. Definately need to think about a coach with experience and success if making the playoffs and being a contender is serious.

All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:33 pm
I wouldn't give up on M. Jackson.... he has his flaws and he is still learning... but he has done some great things too. I love his demeanor and how he treats the team. I think that the chemistry is good on the team because he treats them like men, and doesn't ridicule them nor does he play favorites. He doesn't jock D. Lee, nor did he jock Ellis. Also, I credit him for how he has handled Tyler. I think making Tyler earn his mins has made the young guy learn that he needs to earn his. Next year he will come in shape trying to earn the Backup Center spot instead of just expecting it.

With that said, I get kind of mad on how we as fans are so quick to dismiss players and coaches when they are down and out. We expect players to show loyality to the team and fans, but when one of them is struggling, or if there is a better option there we throw them under the buss in the hopes of getting the next best thing. I think we should support and encourage our teams, and the players or members. At least while they are still under contract, and if at the end of the contract we feel they didn't do enough to resign.... then we can go our seperate ways. Only expections are those that want to leave (like Ellis did). Or those that have been destructive (SJAX). I can understand those who never wanted M. Jackson here in the first place wanting him to leave (I didn't want him here becasue I was still mad they got rid of K. Smart), but he is here. Let's give him a chance. He is young and could become a real good coach. He has many good qualities.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:04 am
My opinion on MJ is as wobbly as a 400 lb lady.

He does some good, some bad, it's a tough call. The no experience thing really sticks out, and some of the late game execution of plays -- yeesh. Gotta commend him on his play of the rookies and how he's handled the development of Klay Thompson and Jenkins. Also for the most part I've liked the general mentality of the team under him. David Lee is a lot better under him than Smart.

At the end of he day I've never been a fan of coaches with no NBA experience (see Mike Montgomery), but if anyone could pull it off it'd probably be M Jackson. He was the type of player who makes a good coach. A leader, smart, composed, PG, etc. If Avery Johnson could do it in a similar role, Mark Jackson could do it. Next season though, if the roster is healthy, it's put up or shut up time. I'd expect the W's to be at least the 8th spot or it'd be considered underachieving.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:05 am
MJackson certainly was a smart PG and likely is or will be a smart coach, but I'd rather a proven one. If you want the best for your team, you get the best you can and right now there could be other options that fit better

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:47 am
MJax will be alright. Does no one remember what our defense looked like last year? Having an emphasis on that side of the ball is a plus for me.

Also, difference between NellieBall and what Jax is doing is that Nellie would play 5 wings with a fully healthy roster. I know it's ugly to see RJ or McGuire at center, but we just pushed through a period where we traded our starting 5 (Udoh) for an injured player (Bogut), along with our previously injured backup (Brown), our current backup (Biedrins) was hurt, and David Lee is playing 43, 44 minutes a night. Some would go to Tyler more often, but Jackson's not feeling him. Even amongst his 14 and 5 game yesterday, the big rookie was -12 on the court. I can't condemn Jackson cause, truth be told, I like how the team operates with healthy personnel.

Also, ownership wants to run ****. Last thing they wanna do is hire Stan Van, who always seems to bump with ownership at every location.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:51 pm
Jeremy Tyler looking a little better every game
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball