Lottery/7th pick/tank schedule

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes


All Star
Posts: 3061
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:03 am
Location: san jose
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:52 am
In this last month our schedule won't be a cake walk, so I am sure the tank will make major progress, but you never know, warriors came back from down 20.

Mon, Apr 9 @ Denver
[/b]
Wed, Apr 11 @ Portland

Thu, Apr 12 vs Dallas

Sat, Apr 14 @ Los Angeles Clippers

Mon, Apr 16 vs San Antonio

Wed, Apr 18 vs Los Angeles Lakers

Fri, Apr 20 @ Dallas

Sat, Apr 21 @ Houston

Sun, Apr 22 @ Minnesota

Tue, Apr 24 vs New Orleans

Thu, Apr 26 vs San Antonio
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2421
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:56 am
Yeah, I hear ya Migs. I'm not pissed, just confused by it. Though, I expected some win after Jackson getting pissed again. I still don't like him that much. I wonder what his vision of the team is...if he has one. If he's to be our coach the next season as well, he wouldn't do much better without a high pick. Yeah, he'll have Curry and Bogut back (hopefully), but we will lose some other guys to FA as well.
Image
Image
User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 2240
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:43 pm
Location: Foster City, CA
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:30 am
That win was a big hit to the tank patrol. Could have moved into a tie for 8th.

Image
User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 2240
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:43 pm
Location: Foster City, CA
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:37 am
warriorsstepup wrote:In this last month our schedule won't be a cake walk, so I am sure the tank will make major progress, but you never know, warriors came back from down 20.

Mon, Apr 9 @ Denver
[/b]
Wed, Apr 11 @ Portland

Thu, Apr 12 vs Dallas

Sat, Apr 14 @ Los Angeles Clippers

Mon, Apr 16 vs San Antonio

Wed, Apr 18 vs Los Angeles Lakers

Fri, Apr 20 @ Dallas

Sat, Apr 21 @ Houston

Sun, Apr 22 @ Minnesota

Tue, Apr 24 vs New Orleans

Thu, Apr 26 vs San Antonio


They need to go 2-11 to finish out to have a shot at the top 7. The good thing is they likely are only going to be favorites in one of the remaining games (vs. NO and maybe Denver on Sat.) so there is a chance it could happen.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2421
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:40 am
hobbes wrote:That win was a big hit to the tank patrol. Could have moved into a tie for 8th.

Image

Yes, and with that loss, along with being tied for 8th, we would be close to both Toronto, Sacramento and New Jersey as well.
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21369
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:41 am
What a lottery pick will do is give alot of options. The team can get a starter caliber player in the lottery itself or make a trade using the lottery pick in a package for a very good player, even two. Not keeping the pick means the team will still be a good one, but just like the rest of the teams fighting for a playoff spot in the West from #5 to #11 or so
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2421
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:47 am
I agree. Though, one thing about that part where we could get a proven player for that pick. I don't know if we have cap for that. I'd be more happier if we could get Kidd-Gilchrist or Barnes, and try to deal Wright and other picks for some proven player as well. I like Lamb also, but I'm not convinced that Klay could play SF that good, especially on defense.

So, I'm hoping for Barnes in this draft, then Kidd-Gilchrist (though they are pretty much close to me, I'd be happy either way), and if that can't be done, then I'd see if Thompson could shoot from the outside good enough to be a SF in the NBA, and also put some thought in drafting Drummond or Lamb and see how they could contribute to this team.
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21369
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:14 am
Kidd-Gilchrist (MKG) looks pretty good, but not Barnes, I just don't like how he plays, nothing that good and he might not even be starting SF material. The much safer bet is to let other GMs rave about a player's potential and give them the pick for a proven player.

Think about it, by trading the lottery pick, plus either aB or RJeff, that's salary gone and for the next two years. Best case scenario. You kidding me, if could trade the lottery pick and either AB or RJeff and get back a very good SF that plays both ends, I'd be so stoked. The team is pretty set to make a run as a longterm playoff one and one very good piece is needed to make it a real contender. Keeping the lottery pick and making such a trade would likely take the team to the upper level
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2566
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: Eureka, CA - Humboldt
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:17 pm
migya wrote:Kidd-Gilchrist (MKG) looks pretty good, but not Barnes, I just don't like how he plays, nothing that good and he might not even be starting SF material. The much safer bet is to let other GMs rave about a player's potential and give them the pick for a proven player.

Think about it, by trading the lottery pick, plus either aB or RJeff, that's salary gone and for the next two years. Best case scenario. You kidding me, if could trade the lottery pick and either AB or RJeff and get back a very good SF that plays both ends, I'd be so stoked. The team is pretty set to make a run as a longterm playoff one and one very good piece is needed to make it a real contender. Keeping the lottery pick and making such a trade would likely take the team to the upper level

Agreed, trading the pick which is not guaranteed to bring in a starting caliber player for a solid starter and cap room would be perfect. If that happens then we will have successfully balanced out all of our moves with others:

Trade Ellis + Udoh for Bogut and Jackson - Feelings: "Well we had to do something, no decent FA was coming here..." "But really!? We had to give them Udoh also!?! And we took back SJax!?!!..." "Couldn't we have at least got a 1st rounder out of it!?..."
THEN:
Trade Jackson for Jefferson + 1st rounder: "OK Jefferson's contract is pretty gnarly, but he'll contribute more than SJax and we got that 1st round pick!"... Jefferson plays... "Crap! This guy doesn't have much left in the tank! How much is that contract?... :drinking:...There goes our cap space"
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21369
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:14 pm
JREED wrote:
migya wrote:Kidd-Gilchrist (MKG) looks pretty good, but not Barnes, I just don't like how he plays, nothing that good and he might not even be starting SF material. The much safer bet is to let other GMs rave about a player's potential and give them the pick for a proven player.

Think about it, by trading the lottery pick, plus either aB or RJeff, that's salary gone and for the next two years. Best case scenario. You kidding me, if could trade the lottery pick and either AB or RJeff and get back a very good SF that plays both ends, I'd be so stoked. The team is pretty set to make a run as a longterm playoff one and one very good piece is needed to make it a real contender. Keeping the lottery pick and making such a trade would likely take the team to the upper level

Agreed, trading the pick which is not guaranteed to bring in a starting caliber player for a solid starter and cap room would be perfect. If that happens then we will have successfully balanced out all of our moves with others:

Trade Ellis + Udoh for Bogut and Jackson - Feelings: "Well we had to do something, no decent FA was coming here..." "But really!? We had to give them Udoh also!?! And we took back SJax!?!!..." "Couldn't we have at least got a 1st rounder out of it!?..."
THEN:
Trade Jackson for Jefferson + 1st rounder: "OK Jefferson's contract is pretty gnarly, but he'll contribute more than SJax and we got that 1st round pick!"... Jefferson plays... "Crap! This guy doesn't have much left in the tank! How much is that contract?... :drinking:...There goes our cap space"



I just don't think Udoh will ever be more than a pretty good backup big and those you can get easily, even in the 2nd round of a draft, which might happen in this draft. That trade for Bogut was somewhat of a steal just on changing things in the team, just for possibility of winning. Trading SJack for RJeff was very understandable and the only set back was that RJeff has two more years left on his contract, SJack just had one. I'll take that and if we can't trade RJeff this offseason, next one he is a very big expirer that can be used in a trade to get something good, so no hassle.

The best case scenario, without making a trade for a superstar (which in itself would not be easy), or trading the lottery pick (either imagine we don't keep it, I'm just focussing on current roster being used in moves), would be to trade DWright's expirer for a future draft pick, be it 2nd rounder. That capspace be used to get a pretty good SF that is better than the ones currently here and who plays both ends. Someone like GWallace, a free agent at season's end. for about 7 million for two or even three eyars, no more as he is not young and has produced less since going to Portland, though a very good defensive player and pretty good offensively. Go with that roster for next season, which would be good enough for a top 5-6 finish in the West for sure. Next offseason, with AB and RJeff expirers, look to make one huge trade or two pretty big trades, dumping their salaries on a team looking for cap space and either get a very good player or two or lottery 1st rounders (which is not easy to predict that team would be in the lottery, but the premise being there). If Curry and/or Klay (even GWallace if he doesn't perform properly as expected, even Lee and Bogut if they don't work well, mostly Lee) don't perform well, playing proper defense being a main issue, they can be traded, better after getting players to replace them with AB and RJeff trade. Maybe couple one or both of them with either AB or RJeff to get a better player at their position, be it Rondo for Curry or a SG like Iguodala.

Definate options for a competent FO. Let's see if we really have one
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 2240
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:43 pm
Location: Foster City, CA
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:46 pm
Pistons win tonight gets us within 1/2 game of them. We can move into a tie for 8th Friday night.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1129
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:53 pm
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:14 pm
hobbes wrote:Pistons win tonight gets us within 1/2 game of them. We can move into a tie for 8th Friday night.


Detroit plays Friday, so if we Lose, and they win they would go .5 games ahead of us and we enter 8th spot. If we both lose, then we stay in 9th. But Detriot will pass us soon as they have some easier teams coming up and we have some hard games. Question is if Toronto, Sac or NJ can pull it togther to pass us. Toronto plays Clevland tomorrow.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"
Image

Image : 2010 - 2011

All Star
Posts: 3061
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:03 am
Location: san jose
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:06 am
hobbes wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:In this last month our schedule won't be a cake walk, so I am sure the tank will make major progress, but you never know, warriors came back from down 20.

Mon, Apr 9 @ Denver
[/b]
Wed, Apr 11 @ Portland

Thu, Apr 12 vs Dallas

Sat, Apr 14 @ Los Angeles Clippers

Mon, Apr 16 vs San Antonio

Wed, Apr 18 vs Los Angeles Lakers

Fri, Apr 20 @ Dallas

Sat, Apr 21 @ Houston

Sun, Apr 22 @ Minnesota

Tue, Apr 24 vs New Orleans

Thu, Apr 26 vs San Antonio


They need to go 2-11 to finish out to have a shot at the top 7. The good thing is they likely are only going to be favorites in one of the remaining games (vs. NO and maybe Denver on Sat.) so there is a chance it could happen.


Those are some low standards but I believe in the tank, plus the way Toronto, and Detroit are playing latley, we can move up.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2421
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:51 am
I don't know what's up with Detroit, but Toronto got Bargnani back and they started playing better basketball overall. And I like that they play Bargnani a lot as a PF, and they have Gray at center. That's two guys that have 7 feet. And this way Bargnani can utilize that shot he has a lot better, to stretch the court...when he did that as a center, they had a hole in the paint, now there's Gray, and James Johnson is a kind of player I like, good build and do it all kind of a guy. So he goes to grab rebounds and put backs as well.
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21369
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:00 am
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:
hobbes wrote:Pistons win tonight gets us within 1/2 game of them. We can move into a tie for 8th Friday night.


Detroit plays Friday, so if we Lose, and they win they would go .5 games ahead of us and we enter 8th spot. If we both lose, then we stay in 9th. But Detriot will pass us soon as they have some easier teams coming up and we have some hard games. Question is if Toronto, Sac or NJ can pull it togther to pass us. Toronto plays Clevland tomorrow.



Still looking possible, but the team has to lose all of their games or not win more than one the rest of the way in order to keep the lottery pick. I really think to be safe the team has to be in at least 6th spot to stay in the top 7 picks after the lottery
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron