We've got to get this forum going

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:09 am
I've been here for almost seven years, but this place is quite dead. There are enough of us regulars to start some conversation about basketball. Not being a jerk or anything, but great conversations here have been good, have been some lately, but some more activity would be good.

I'm thinking of doing a Legends Draft again this offseason, so in about two months and hope most of you will be in it (will explain later what it is). Also maybe do a Warriors or nba trivia thread, as we did almost a year ago. We could do it per season or something

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:57 pm
Ummm...

Kind of hard to get excited about this team when they are in tank mode (& especially with the uncertain clouds building about whether we keep our draft pick)

Don't fret bro.. I think we all will get excited come draft time. Would be nice if the off topic forum and sports forum get more bumping over the offseason.

PS: Sign me up for the legends draft so I can argue why Tim Duncan is better then Kevin Garnett (Ive sinced decided that KG is a bit better then the Mailman)
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:33 pm
This tank job is something to talk about and we are talking about it as it is going great.

The offtopic forum should be going with the tv series thread, especially now with Game of Thrones season 2 here. In fact, I will post in there when I watch the last few episodes of season 1 and then get to season two

migya make the ring fall on ya
Rookie
Poster Credit: 4
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:37 am
Let's do dis.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:48 pm
Like the Warriors, this board is in a rebuilding phase.

I honestly credit a ton of this board's development to 3 key members: migya, TMC, and myself. If you check the old school, 2006, 2007, 2008 archives, we were a 3-headed dragon of Warrior conversation; migs and I would play pro and con, while TMC often found a middle ground that was easy for readers to relate to. As the board expanded, so too did the variety of posters that came here. And 3 of them (bada, bigstrads, and TMC himself) are directly responsible for strip-mining what WE, here, built.

I came back to this forum (instead of the new one) because I differ greatly from all 3 of the figure heads that dominate the round table. Unfortunately, you could make a strong argument that 4 of our strongest posters were driven out by those guys. Firstly, a tremendously knowledgeable poster named drfrank (who contributed immensely to conversations both hot and cold) was banned at the request of bada (whose censor-driven personality was responsible for toning down 8th Ave's racy signatures... Not to mention, bada fueled the drive to ban me for a long time, simply because I disagreed with him - go back and try to tell me bigstrads wasn't just as loud, offensive, or obnoxious as I was... He was simply bada's pet, hence his current position).

Bigs, likewise, fueled the ban of sfsfgiants; our reigning rookie-of-the-year poster, because SF had racist implications. Now, I'm all in favor of keeping things civil and normal for the sake of everyone's comfort, but let's not lie. Racists have NEVER been banned for their beliefs here; a couple of them still post and (honestly) so long as no one brings up the subject, it's all gravy. Sfsfgiants, btw, NEVER made a post that was racist until after bigs had already PMed the lot of us with word of the mutiny. Just like that, bada and bigs had driven out 2 productive posters that contributed well here.

Which brings me to our former stat czar, the_Pestilence; a man that grew tired of this board for nothing more than the hypocrisy of the former mods. His departure sparked an ultimatum that ultimately drove our a former MVP poster, coltraning, and a former Most Knowkedgeable Poster (32, yours truly). Our departure led to the departure of several valued posters that were like hall-of-fame role players for our squad: uptempo, OG_broe, rsx_racer... All gone in a demolition caused by the same murder of crows that eventually deserted this place.

Miggy, we have plenty of damn fine new posters to rebuild this place with, along with an invigorated owner (Hobbes) who is posting much more frequently than in the past... But we've undergone an overhaul that'll take time, well-written articles, and lots of new members to rebuild.

Frankly, those fools STOLE what hobbes created, what we had built, and what they were busy trying to destroy.

But as long as we keep this forum focused on WARRIORS BASKETBALL and not the soap opera-y, female sewing circle that the new forum is (where everyone practically lives in the Internet), this forum will reclaim the top spot. At the end of the day, we're here to discuss basketball, not politics or religion or whatever else bigs continually whines about over there. We are BASKETBALL FANS.

And quite frankly, with JReed, AJ, and us still here, we have more knowledgeable posters than they do. Let the season die quietly and watch this place grow up around draft time (when I have time to crank out more articles and stat-lines). Til then, if you're trying to start a redistro, I'm in.
Last edited by 32 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:50 pm
Btw, a few months ago, when I came back here, I signed up for their forum to let a lotta old users know (via PM) that I'd be back here if they wanted to chat... Bada banned me in less than an hour. :mrgreen: So they know it's dangerous to let the old crew know that the band is back together in this forum haha.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:02 pm
Hey, I'm all for it! I'm willing to give my best to make this place great, even though recently, up until that tanking mode, it looked pretty lively in here. I started some temporary job, and it is taking free time away...the most annoying thing being that I can't stay awake late night anymore, cause I have to get up early. But, still, I'll watch replays, and I'll gladly comment on any topic where other guys post. I don't mind off topic part at all. There's a lot of us here from different corners of the world, so we could have lots of interesting discussions.

When it comes to the old mods here, I came right before they made their new board, and I wondered from the beginning what's the point of that. They were the mods, they could do (and as I read here, they did) what they wanted to, and they still didn't think it was enough. It's hard for me to comprehend that type of personality, really. On the other hand, I think it's a lot more friendly around here, more free speech, less tension, etc.

Anyway, let this thread serve for other members' suggestions and ideas if they want something to be done differently, and let's get the party started. :bday:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:04 pm
Oh, and one more thing, I really like your spirit 32. I must admit I laughed when I read that you've sent those PMs there, lol.

Anyway, it would be great if we could get those guys that contributed that much to come back. Or at least send them an email, if possible, and see if they are interested at least.

Well, two things actually. ::lol:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:14 pm
Hahaha, unfortunately I didn't get to PM anyone. I made 2 well-structured posts and was banned immediately. Not only did they ban me, but they deleted my posts (which were inoffensive and totally basketball related) cause they didn't want anyone to know I was back. For the few people who saw my posts and asked what happened to them, the mods wouldn't refer to me by name and claimed i was an old user that butted heads with "practically everyone" (aka them, give or take a month-long dance with miggy every year). They made sure no one knew i was there for fear that they'd follow me back here. Not many people have feared 32 as hard as bada and bigs hahaha.

Honestly, they can have their members. I'd really only want TMC and xbay back. As far as their new school posters, like chum... I mean, it's be a nice addition here, but none of those guys thrill me with their basketball knowledge. And then there's guys like Quazza that talk outta their ass and don't get the humor in my arrogance hahaha. They can keep allll those fools. But I wish they didn't kill off our old users if they were just gonna leave, you know?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:31 pm
Oh, too bad, it would have been a sweet laugh if you did manage to send those PMs. :)

And I meant on those people you mentioned before, not new board ownership and their buddies. They can have their own little playground as long as they want it.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:51 pm
Bada also banned another guy... trying to think his name Was he called "SPEAKONIT" ???

He use to post in the music forums a lot. Basically the topic was bought up where the 4 cops were shot dead by that gunman a few summers back & "SPEAK" (is that his name) said cops usually get what comes for them.

Now I know myself that I certainly wouldn't have those beliefs but to ban someone for making a anti-police comment is kind of ridiculous.. I think it started off as a civilised debate but bada was kind of well a MAJOR DOUCHE.

Also remember OklandFanatic??? Those guys banned him too. He opened a 2nd account a few years later named hidden counter & was getting along pretty well with the community but when he fessed clean that he was a changed man... Well Bada (@ the request of BIGS) banned him too.

Gee all these old memories being bought to the surface. I agree with what you said 32.. Only guys I really have time for was TMC, XBAY & ROBDIKUM but BADA was a tool & BIGSTRADS well he was kind of like just a jealous wannabe moderator who had to stick his nose into the business of moderators. To lose TMC/XBAY is a small price to pay as long as BIGS left in my opinion.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:30 pm
I wish this board nothing but the best of luck. I(we) are not trying to compete with this board and I had a few great years on this board.

I agree with 32 that migya, TMC and himself WERE responsible for the development of the board (with the obvious addition of Hobbes) But I would like to clear some things up.

32 wrote: And 3 of them (bada, bigstrads, and TMC himself) are directly responsible for strip-mining what WE, here, built.
Was never the intent. We TRIED to make it work here... there was a long stretch were Hobbes was too busy to maintain this site and was not responsive to queries... we wanted to implement things our users were asking for but did not have the access to. Even Hobbes will admit that he was not paying attention to the site. We had many idea for improvements. It became frustrating. We approached hobbes about purchasing the site from him so everything could remain. He passed which I have no problems with... hobbes is a great guy. so we moved on.

32 wrote: Firstly, a tremendously knowledgeable poster named drfrank (who contributed immensely to conversations both hot and cold) was banned at the request of bada (whose censor-driven personality was responsible for toning down 8th Ave's racy signatures...
simply not true. prior to being named a mod, I NEVER asked for ANYONE to be banned. I would hope hobbes would back me up on that. I DID request that an avatar (not sure if it was 8th ave or not) if they could tone their avatar down so that I could participate in the forum whether at work or if my children were around. Dedicated threads are fine because you can avoid those during those times and sigs can be turned off but could not do anything about avatars. Many agreed with me, many did not... was just a simple request to the people that ran the site.

32 wrote: Not to mention, bada fueled the drive to ban me for a long time, simply because I disagreed with him - go back and try to tell me bigstrads wasn't just as loud, offensive, or obnoxious as I was... He was simply bada's pet, hence his current position).
Revisionist history here. I was long a supporter of yours and did NOT want you banned. Your wars with migya were well chronicled and IF action had to be taken, I was well on your side and that it was Migya that needed to be banned. We had many great debates and I enjoyed them very much. You always made me think and I appreciated that. I am sorry that you have misinformation.

32 wrote:
Bigs, likewise, fueled the ban of sfsfgiants; our reigning rookie-of-the-year poster, because SF had racist implications. Now, I'm all in favor of keeping things civil and normal for the sake of everyone's comfort, but let's not lie. Racists have NEVER been banned for their beliefs here; a couple of them still post and (honestly) so long as no one brings up the subject, it's all gravy. Sfsfgiants, btw, NEVER made a post that was racist until after bigs had already PMed the lot of us with word of the mutiny. Just like that, bada and bigs had driven out 2 productive posters that contributed well here.[/quote] You can lay any blame for banning people squarely on me and that is fine... I will accept that, but you should know that all bannings were discussed amoungst all three mods AND hobbes before action was taken. Hobbes supported all the bannings.

32 wrote: Frankly, those fools STOLE what hobbes created, what we had built, and what they were busy trying to destroy.
This place had/has hundreds of active posters. not sure how 13 people joining us DESTROYED this place. If that is what happened, then I apologize... was never the intent. we left on good terms with hobbes and never wanted to harm this place... we simply wanted a different "type" of community to discuss the Warriors and other topics. I admit it is not for everyone nor are we trying to appeal to everyone. They are different places and have and will continue to co-exist.

I am willing to own the title of the banning czar if that is what you wish to label me as. I can tell you that many people still on this site sent many PM's complaining about behavior of some of these banned posters... banning is never an easy decision and was never taken lightly, but the decisions were made collaboratively based on what we felt was for the greater good of the board.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:09 pm
bada, if you had nothing against me, you wouldn't have banned me in the first 30 minutes after joining your forum. My sole purpose was going to be a short hello to the few people I missed and to tell them that since the group of people that were feuding with me had gone, I would be happy to see them on this side of the net. You and yours didn't grant me that and that's fine; you didn't owe it to me. But let's not play the good guy role and pretend that you never had anything against me.

You also copped to the banning of drfrank shortly after it happened; I'll dig up the quote when I have more time. Many people asked about him and you said he aggressively addressed you several times (which does not sound out of character for the ban-happy era that took this place down prior to forming your own forum).

I simply don't agree that you wish this forum the best, but that's another story.

migya simply started a thread calling these members to action. My post is a rationale for why it is a work in progress, based in no small part to the strip mining of several of this forum's prominent posters (and I'm not talking about the 3 of you who run the new place). Some of them were banned by the former regime, some were stolen amidst the exodus to the round table, but the bottom line is that you and yours did your part to weaken this forum (whether your meant to, liked it, or not). This forum is poorer from the actions of your circle, bada. How can you honestly deny that? And some of us who have been here longer than you, have the right to be upset about it.

Through banishment and the cherry-picking of members, this forum was weakened by you guys. Bottom line.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:15 pm
Look, bada, I never had a personal problem with you and as far as I know, we never had an issue until I left this place. But you can't honestly say that you think this forum is as strong as it was when you got here, can you?
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:15 pm
32 wrote:bada, if you had nothing against me, you wouldn't have banned me in the first 30 minutes after joining your forum. My sole purpose was going to be a short hello to the few people I missed and to tell them that since the group of people that were feuding with me had gone, I would be happy to see them on this side of the net. You and yours didn't grant me that and that's fine; you didn't owe it to me. But let's not play the good guy role and pretend that you never had anything against me.
32, this is a bit disingenuous no? Had you just registered to say hello to people you missed and such, I would have had no issues with that. But that is not what happened. You registered with a username of "TheRollingBear" and made no reference to you being "32" in your post. Nor did you identify yourself in anyway as someone we knew. The only reason I knew it was you was by your email address that you registered under. And yes, you were banned when I realized who you were. It was not that you did anything wrong, but our board was created for the purpose of having a small community of fans that was drama free. You certainly can not deny that you can create drama.

32 wrote:You also copped to the banning of drfrank shortly after it happened; I'll dig up the quote when I have more time. Many people asked about him and you said he aggressively addressed you several times (which does not sound out of character for the ban-happy era that took this place down prior to forming your own forum).
That very well could be. I don't have recollection of it... however if you strongly remember it then I will take your word for it... I just dont have memory of it.

32 wrote:I simply don't agree that you wish this forum the best, but that's another story.
Why would I not wish this forum well? How does it effect me to have this place do poorly? We are not trying to compete with this site. I have a lot of fond feelings for many of the members that remain here. You don't have to believe me... but it is the truth.

32 wrote: Some of them were banned by the former regime, some were stolen amidst the exodus to the round table, but the bottom line is that you and yours did your part to weaken this forum (whether your meant to, liked it, or not). This forum is poorer from the actions of your circle, bada. How can you honestly deny that? And some of us who have been here longer than you, have the right to be upset about it.
Intent and causation are two completely different things. I don't know whether the forum is "poorer" from my actions or not... I will take your word for it that it is and if that is the case, then than saddens me. But that was not my INTENT. My... OUR intent was to a create a very small community that was inline with our vision.... any effect from that does not correlate to intent.

And how can you say we STOLE anyone. These are people will free will...we contacted a few people to notify them that we were going to start a new board and we would love to have them as members... we did it via PM instead of advertising in public because that would not have been appropriate or respectful to hobbes. I will admit that we sent the first couple of PM's without hobbes knowledge as there was some fear hobbes would take exception and ban us before we got to tell a few of our friends. In hindsight, that was a very poor decision as hobbes was most gracious and allowed us to contact a few people with his knowledge. Never again did we recruit or try to steal ANYONE. Nor did we ever say you could not continue to post here.

I will not apologize for having made friendships on this board. It is only natural that when starting a new endevour you would tell your "friends". There is a lot of attacks on Bigstrads in this thread and I certainly will not apologize for my friendship with him. I have gotten to know him quite a bit and he has become a good friend both on and off the board. There is a great base of posters on our board from TMC, XBay, Money, Chum, E-Man, Quazza, and so on that I consider friends... guys I respect and enjoy conversing with and I am glad I continue to develop those relationships... but again, every single one of them make their own choices and are free to post anywhere they wish.

32 wrote:Look, bada, I never had a personal problem with you and as far as I know, we never had an issue until I left this place. But you can't honestly say that you think this forum is as strong as it was when you got here, can you?
I can't say because I only check in here briefly about once a month or so.. but again, it was not my intent, but if it was an effect, then I apologize. Like I said, I often enjoyed our debates... we are both strong personalities with strong opinions... naturally we will clash from time to time. I defended you many times and dismissed pleas for your banishment from several people that currently still post here. Every ban I/we made was with the board collective in mind... there are always going to be people that disagree... we were aware of that. not always an easy job.

Return to Warriors Basketball