If the team got #1 pick

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:31 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:
32 wrote:The 7 inches thing is true about Davis. As far as Camby... Ehhh, disagree. He has far superior handles and skills; sure, he blocks a lotta shots at the collegiate level but I think his skill set is similar to Durant with about 7 feet less of range.

If he was anything like Durant, he would have more of an offensive game which he lacks at the the moment. Most of his points right now are from put backs, alley opps, and hook-shots.

Camby had a late growth spurt, was able to bring the ball up, athletic, defensive game changer. I still say Camby.

Fair enough. Most analysts are going with the Camby comparison, but I see Davis' offensive game being far more dangerous than the 12ish PPG of Camby. I also recognize the instincts on defense, but he's shorter than Camby and I just don't see him dominating the defensive end like Camby at a pro level. So maybe not Kevin Durant per say... Maybe more like a taller, beastlier Tayshaun. Athletic, long, good defensive instincts... But a more wing-oriented offensive game than Camby.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:46 pm
Davis and Kentucky just won the NCAA championship. Davis got a number of swats, new freshman record in fact. Shot like garbage, 1-10, but his defense is off the charts

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:54 pm
His post game looked absolutely awful in the championship game; worst I've ever seem him on offense. The defense was phenomenal; he's got good instincts and stays down on a good percentage of pump fakes, but he doesn't go up straight and NBA officials tax rookies on cheap fouls. He definitely looks bigger than the last time I saw him... Either Kansas' 7-footer is lying about his height or Davis is still growing (how scary would that be?)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:46 pm
He might well grow to at least 7 feet, good point. To note that Dwight's offense is still developing and it took him until last season, if I'm not wrong, to average over 20pts. Davis may be alot like that, which is great none the less

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:26 pm
I see Davis as a Power Forward rather than a Center. His game is defense help defense, shot blocking. He has barely any consistent offensive moves in the NBA. I would take him for sure, but if the Warriors do take Davis I feel this coaching staff is not going to tap into his full potential. I don't trust this coaching staff to polish raw players like Davis into a near complete player, but maybe Davis has the right attitude and can find ways to tap all of his potential even under average coaching. I think in this draft Warriors going to get a near polish player with some semblance of talent who is just a rotation player who can contribute immediately for this team to get into the playoffs. I just don't think this front office has patience and they want to get into the playoffs badly, and Mark Jackson is mostly going to rely on vets throughout the season, because they are easy to coach. Rookies are going to make mistakes and Mark Jackson don't have patience for those mistakes unless he is force to play the rookies. Just look at this season it took him a long time to put Udoh and Tyler for AB. Klay was given consistent long min when Monta.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:31 pm
Neither Dwight when he came out and in fact, he has limited offensive moves now, no matter how much time he spent with Ewing. If we get the #1 pick, have to pick Davis, then ship Lee's arse off for something good, preferably SF. Davis grew so much not too long ago, he could grow another two inches and be same height as Dwight, then take some three years to add the muscle like Dwight.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:23 pm
Thomas Robinson has an NBA-ready 6'8" body. If he can harness that frame and buy into a slide down to the 3, he could be our version of Artest in Sacramento (minus the insanity).

Obviously, MKG is ideal if we jackpot a 2 or 3 pick. But if we're at 6, 7, or 8 and Robinson is there, that's who I want.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:17 am
David Lee's good for 20 & 10 and is one of the best passing big men in the league, and will be even better now that he'll have a real center next to him for the first time in his career. I wonder if he was making $8 or $9 mil / yr if attitudes would change. I think the 'overpaid' contract is overblown. If by some miracle the Warriors got the #1, I guess you'd have to take Davis and see how he develops his rookie year or that could pick could be amazing trade chip to get a real difference maker.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:59 am
Lee will not do more with Bogut here now. He might be more effective next to Bogut's great defense, but likely his numbers will drop everywhere. He is good at what he does though

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:03 pm
I dunno, migs. Having Bogut here theoretically means that Lee gets to pick on a shorter defender, so his %'s should improve (even if his overall scoring dips slightly). Even then, I can't see him dipping below 16 PPG. Bogut is a nice alternative, but Lee is your best offensive big man. Also, Bogut has been a premier defender and a tough rebounder, but Lee's work on the glass outranks Bogut's. If Bogey is bringing in 8 rebounds per, I expect DLee to be getting 9-12. Remember, Bogut leaves his feet a lot on defense so it'll be Lee capitalizing on the altered shots Bogut can't quite block (but still contests).

I see Lee only getting better with a big guy to help him out inside. Predicted stat lines for next year:

DAVID LEE #10 PF

16.5 PPG, 10.1 RPG, 2.6 APG
0.8 SPG, 0.5 BPG
Shooting 50.8% from the floor, 74.0% from the line

ANDREW BOGUT #12 C

12.8 PPG, 9.1 RPG, 2.9 APG
0.9 SPG, 2.3 BPG
Shooting 53.0% from the floor, 62% from the line

What doesn't show up on the stat line are the pass-to-assist plays these two will create by moving the ball around, the charges taken by Bogut (which is a huge part of his game), and the overall improvement on defense that players like Lee will show when they are paired with a big man that calls out opponent plays and allows his team the luxury to comfortably play zone. A Bogut-Lee frontcourt is flat out scary; skilled, sized, and double-tough.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:47 pm
I just don't think that Lee's numbers will be like they are now, after all he's never played next to a good Center. He doesn't have to have the numbers he has now, just has to fit in and both these bigs look like they fit quite well together. I think Bogut is a better rebounder than Lee and Lee really has rebounded less this season than I thought he would, as he is the lone big quality rebounder. His passing can offensive ability should be standout a bit more with a very good defender next to him

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:57 pm
I think Bogut will help this defense out, but they still need a good wing defender to really make this a good defensive team. David Lee efficiency will go up and finally he doesn't have to guard the other team best big man. I'm sorry but David Lee can't stop or slow down the good PF and Centers in the league.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:59 pm
Since Curry doesn't play defense much, similar with Klay, at least right now, the team must get a SF that plays both ends well, otherwise the team is not a championship caliber one yet

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:08 pm
migya wrote:Since Curry doesn't play defense much, similar with Klay, at least right now, the team must get a SF that plays both ends well, otherwise the team is not a championship caliber one yet

Would you be ok with Warrior FO to sign Dominic McGuire to be the wing defender, because he show he can guard PG, SG, SF, and PF. Mark Jackson is willing to give him plenty of mins. I'm sure they will draft a SF who has potential to play both defense and offense, but he has to really impress Mark Jackson next season to get consistent junk of playing time.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:12 pm
fullmetalx wrote:
migya wrote:Since Curry doesn't play defense much, similar with Klay, at least right now, the team must get a SF that plays both ends well, otherwise the team is not a championship caliber one yet

Would you be ok with Warrior FO to sign Dominic McGuire to be the wing defender, because he show he can guard PG, SG, SF, and PF. Mark Jackson is willing to give him plenty of mins. I'm sure they will draft a SF who has potential to play both defense and offense, but he has to really impress Mark Jackson next season to get consistent junk of playing time.

Firstly, They likely won't be drafting anyone this year as they don't know how to lose when they're suppose to! God I'm angry right now.

McGuire plays defense, but no offense and you can't have a starter like that, not with the lack of a superstar or two to cover that. The team must trade for a good SF or get one through free agency, but they'll have to create cap space for that

PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball