If the team got #1 pick

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:42 am
If the team managed to strike it gold and get the #1 pick in this draft who should be the player picked?

Seems like the consensus #1 pick almost everywhere is Anthony Davis, who is to be an nba PF/C at 6'10 and with a massive wingspan. Thing is, we have a PF and Center, Lee and Bogut. Obvious thing to me at least, is to pick Davis and trade Lee's nondefending rear end for a great SF, like JSmith :D Be perhaps the best shotblocking frontline in nba history. I'd do that personally, but some people might want to do something else with the #1 pick.

What should the team do in such a situation?
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 2240
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:43 pm
Location: Foster City, CA
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:52 am
I would take Davis. I think you could live with all three upfront the first year if necessary. Bogut's health is a question and I don't think Davis will be playing 40 minutes his rookie season. Ideally though, at some point I agree I would try and move Lee for a stud SF.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13479
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:18 pm
Davis. There's no comparison. He's head-and-shoulders above everyone else and his ceiling is higher than Lee's.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image

All Star
Posts: 3040
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:03 am
Location: san jose
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:32 pm
Draft picks, my draft board
1. Anthony Davis : He is the consensus # 1 and there is good reason. I heard he grew 7 inches from his junior year to his senior year in high school, from 6’3 to 6’10, that ish crazy. NBA comparison is Marcus Camby, this dude is lankier than Gumby, or stretch arm strong, alters shots like crazy. Not sure the numbers but he double the record for blocked shots in a season by a Kentucky player. Weakness needs to strengthen up, and become more polished on the offensive end. He should be an impact player from the get, mostly on the defensive side of the ball. Plus he has taken the unibrow to new levels, I am trying to connect mines as we speak.

2. Thomas Robinson : Strong PF, well built at 6’9, 240, really active, high motor, great around the basket. Reminds me a mix of Amare and Blake Griffin. Working on his outside jumper. I think the most NBA player on in the draft.

3. Michael Kidd Gilchrist: Super Athletic SF. Great passion, work ethic, do it all type of small forward. Issues with him, does not have consistent outside jumper, which is much needed in the NBA. But with the warriors having all the shooters, and skilled player, Gilchrist could be that defender, and athlete that does all the dirty work for wins.

4. Harrison Barnes : This could be the kid if he falls, he would fit in the warriors well. 6’8 skilled small forward, most polished SF in the draft, in my opinion. Can shoot well from the outside, and mid range is decent, could come in and fit well with the warriors.

5. Perry Jones: Ok if you want potential this would be the guy, 6’11, lanky sf from Baylor, handles the ball well, decent enough jumper, but needs to be more consistent with that. I won’t say Durant or McGrady, but damn am tempted to. His issue is whether he has enough heart and passion for the game. Wouldn’t be a bad pick up.

6. Drummond: 6-11, 18 year old from Uconn, Legit big man, power big man, runs the floor well, use his boy as a force. Still a work in progress, but big men take time to develop. Shooting 29% from the line though ouch. Big men are always a risk. If I was warriors am not sure, am not sure on this pick. Big men are always the riskiest to pick.

7. List of potential picks at 7, Jeremy Lamb 6’5 shooting guard, polished, from Uconn. Jared Sullinger, 6’9 PF, skilled heavyweight low post player. Bradley Beal 6’5 shooting guard, with range and good all around game. Austin River 6’3 tweener guard, can score at will. Zeller legit 7’0 from UNC, John Henson 6’11 from UNC defensive specialist, Terence Jones 6’8 SF from Kentucky, very productive

8. Deep Deep draft, No sure superstars but will get some serious contributors.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13479
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:02 pm
The 7 inches thing is true about Davis. As far as Camby... Ehhh, disagree. He has far superior handles and skills; sure, he blocks a lotta shots at the collegiate level but I think his skill set is similar to Durant with about 7 feet less of range.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:15 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:Draft picks, my draft board
1. Anthony Davis : He is the consensus # 1 and there is good reason. I heard he grew 7 inches from his junior year to his senior year in high school, from 6’3 to 6’10, that ish crazy. NBA comparison is Marcus Camby, this dude is lankier than Gumby, or stretch arm strong, alters shots like crazy. Not sure the numbers but he double the record for blocked shots in a season by a Kentucky player. Weakness needs to strengthen up, and become more polished on the offensive end. He should be an impact player from the get, mostly on the defensive side of the ball. Plus he has taken the unibrow to new levels, I am trying to connect mines as we speak.

2. Thomas Robinson : Strong PF, well built at 6’9, 240, really active, high motor, great around the basket. Reminds me a mix of Amare and Blake Griffin. Working on his outside jumper. I think the most NBA player on in the draft.

3. Michael Kidd Gilchrist: Super Athletic SF. Great passion, work ethic, do it all type of small forward. Issues with him, does not have consistent outside jumper, which is much needed in the NBA. But with the warriors having all the shooters, and skilled player, Gilchrist could be that defender, and athlete that does all the dirty work for wins.

4. Harrison Barnes : This could be the kid if he falls, he would fit in the warriors well. 6’8 skilled small forward, most polished SF in the draft, in my opinion. Can shoot well from the outside, and mid range is decent, could come in and fit well with the warriors.

5. Perry Jones: Ok if you want potential this would be the guy, 6’11, lanky sf from Baylor, handles the ball well, decent enough jumper, but needs to be more consistent with that. I won’t say Durant or McGrady, but damn am tempted to. His issue is whether he has enough heart and passion for the game. Wouldn’t be a bad pick up.

6. Drummond: 6-11, 18 year old from Uconn, Legit big man, power big man, runs the floor well, use his boy as a force. Still a work in progress, but big men take time to develop. Shooting 29% from the line though ouch. Big men are always a risk. If I was warriors am not sure, am not sure on this pick. Big men are always the riskiest to pick.

7. List of potential picks at 7, Jeremy Lamb 6’5 shooting guard, polished, from Uconn. Jared Sullinger, 6’9 PF, skilled heavyweight low post player. Bradley Beal 6’5 shooting guard, with range and good all around game. Austin River 6’3 tweener guard, can score at will. Zeller legit 7’0 from UNC, John Henson 6’11 from UNC defensive specialist, Terence Jones 6’8 SF from Kentucky, very productive

8. Deep Deep draft, No sure superstars but will get some serious contributors.



Harrison Barnes could well be the guy the team picks and if they did, I think they'd keep him. Very interesting and could contribute right away. Michael Kidd Gilchrist would be better, be his gone in the first three picks, that's why getting into the top 3 would be quite immense at this point.

Nice list, thanks :wink:
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Posts: 1471
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: SF
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:36 pm
I feel dirty even responding to a thread that pretends we land the #1 pick...

But if we do get Davis, he, Lee, and Bogut would make for a very interchangeable front court. Would prefer to keep all three.
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:21 pm
f1n3 wrote:I feel dirty even responding to a thread that pretends we land the #1 pick...

But if we do get Davis, he, Lee, and Bogut would make for a very interchangeable front court. Would prefer to keep all three.



Do you feel dirty watching bit of porn? You respond to this thread then :)

I'd rather ship Lee out of here, get a great sF that plays both ends, maybe JSmith, on the outer in Atlanta as they want Horford at PF. Nice defensive frontline hey, JSmith, Davis and Bogut. Blocking shots like mad men
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1129
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:53 pm
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:28 pm
f1n3 wrote:I feel dirty even responding to a thread that pretends we land the #1 pick...

But if we do get Davis, he, Lee, and Bogut would make for a very interchangeable front court. Would prefer to keep all three.


I agree, I would keep all three specially considering how many injuries we seem to pile up. Also it takes
Big men longer to develope, so until we can see how his game developed I would bring him off the bench for
A couple of years. Who knows, maybe Bogut never gets over his inuries and you have to keep Lee and Davis.... Its all a pipe dream though...
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"
Image

Image : 2010 - 2011

All Star
Posts: 3040
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:03 am
Location: san jose
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:01 am
32 wrote:The 7 inches thing is true about Davis. As far as Camby... Ehhh, disagree. He has far superior handles and skills; sure, he blocks a lotta shots at the collegiate level but I think his skill set is similar to Durant with about 7 feet less of range.


If he was anything like Durant, he would have more of an offensive game which he lacks at the the moment. Most of his points right now are from put backs, alley opps, and hook-shots.

Camby had a late growth spurt, was able to bring the ball up, athletic, defensive game changer. I still say Camby.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5850
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 5:05 am
Location: Brisbane
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:24 am
Thinking a little outside the box here but with Anthony Davis/Andrew Bogut holding down the 4 & 5.

I could definitely see David Lee with the range in his Jumper playing the 3 in some scenario.

& before you all blow up and say but he can't play defence... Well he struggles to defend power forwards at the moment.. won't be much of a difference with him D'ing up a 3.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:00 am
PAWNO wrote:Thinking a little outside the box here but with Anthony Davis/Andrew Bogut holding down the 4 & 5.

I could definitely see David Lee with the range in his Jumper playing the 3 in some scenario.

& before you all blow up and say but he can't play defence... Well he struggles to defend power forwards at the moment.. won't be much of a difference with him D'ing up a 3.



Awful thought of an idea. Lee would have to be traded if the team got the #1, has to be, for a great SF to fill out the starting five
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5850
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 5:05 am
Location: Brisbane
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:15 am
migya wrote:
PAWNO wrote:Thinking a little outside the box here but with Anthony Davis/Andrew Bogut holding down the 4 & 5.

I could definitely see David Lee with the range in his Jumper playing the 3 in some scenario.

& before you all blow up and say but he can't play defence... Well he struggles to defend power forwards at the moment.. won't be much of a difference with him D'ing up a 3.



Awful thought of an idea. Lee would have to be traded if the team got the #1, has to be, for a great SF to fill out the starting five


That's your pipe dream Migya (& something that I wouldn't mind)

I'm merely asking the question as to whether he could (considering the new owners approved this trade before they bought the team. They are obviously Dlee42 fans)
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:21 am
PAWNO wrote:
migya wrote:
PAWNO wrote:Thinking a little outside the box here but with Anthony Davis/Andrew Bogut holding down the 4 & 5.

I could definitely see David Lee with the range in his Jumper playing the 3 in some scenario.

& before you all blow up and say but he can't play defence... Well he struggles to defend power forwards at the moment.. won't be much of a difference with him D'ing up a 3.



Awful thought of an idea. Lee would have to be traded if the team got the #1, has to be, for a great SF to fill out the starting five


That's your pipe dream Migya (& something that I wouldn't mind)

I'm merely asking the question as to whether he could (considering the new owners approved this trade before they bought the team. They are obviously Dlee42 fans)



Lee can't guard big lugs like him, how in hell can he chase much faster and athletic freaks night after night. May as well put Curry at Center, just as effective
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5850
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 5:05 am
Location: Brisbane
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:20 pm
migya wrote:
PAWNO wrote:
migya wrote:
PAWNO wrote:Thinking a little outside the box here but with Anthony Davis/Andrew Bogut holding down the 4 & 5.

I could definitely see David Lee with the range in his Jumper playing the 3 in some scenario.

& before you all blow up and say but he can't play defence... Well he struggles to defend power forwards at the moment.. won't be much of a difference with him D'ing up a 3.



Awful thought of an idea. Lee would have to be traded if the team got the #1, has to be, for a great SF to fill out the starting five


That's your pipe dream Migya (& something that I wouldn't mind)

I'm merely asking the question as to whether he could (considering the new owners approved this trade before they bought the team. They are obviously Dlee42 fans)



Yes.. I pointed that out in my previous post (That DLee42 is a terrible defender)

It's a weakness we are going to have to live with. My pondering thought was more on the Offense end. (seems like he has some skill sets to play SF)
*Has Range on his jumper
*Decent dribbling skills
*Good vision

I'm not saying 40 minutes a night for him at SF... But there could easily be some rotations where we could use the mismatch on Offense to our advantage
& I only bought this pipe dream rotation up if we had to play him alongside Bogut/Anthony Davis on the floor at the same time.

Lee can't guard big lugs like him, how in hell can he chase much faster and athletic freaks night after night. May as well put Curry at Center, just as effective
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest