Joe Lacob getting booed.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:18 pm
Okay, GS23, we're gonna have to dance on this topic.

GS23 wrote:I thought it was disrespectful to Mullin, but Lacob had it coming. This is a team that was "guaranteed" to make the playoffs and was only 3 games out when he gave up on them.

Wait... He had it coming for making a guarantee that 90% of owners make in their first season? The smart fans understood when the Warriors failed to obtain a center that the playoffs were probably out of reach... And even the less smart ones got the picture when Curry couldn't stay healthy. What kind of dimwits seriously still had playoff hopes before they traded Monta? Btw, regarding the "3 games under" remark, Riley addressed it: they don't wanna be a middle ground, too good for the lottery, too poor for the playoffs team. We've had ENOUGH of that crap. It's time to make a bold move and they did it.

GS23 wrote:It might work out great but right now we have team built around 2 guys who can't stay on the court and a joke of a coach who isn't going to lead them anywhere.

Have you ever seen a video of Andrew Bogut's injuries? I know the Bay is jaded cause they've seen Steph roll his ankle seemingly over and over this year, but Andrew Bogut has hurt himself in some freak accidents. It's a dull correlation trying to blur the line between injury history and injury prone. Bogut has the former. He has no chronic injuries to date. Just cause he's hurt NOW does not mean he'll always be hurt, show some foresight.

GS23 wrote:The initial boos were well deserved and from there he pretty much egged on the crowd with the "now that we got that over with" comment. Just watching it on tv made me angry because I felt like Lacob and Barry had arrogant attitudes about him like they were talking down to children. I especially lost respect for Barry after he said "this man is spending his money..." We're the ones spending our money and Lacob is the one making the profit. I don't know how many thousands of dollars I have spent on tickets and merchandise supporting this team only to see them fail year in and year out. Talking about accolades, look up in the rafters nothing has happened for this franchise in 20 years. Heck we haven't even had an all star since Sprewell. Yeah the crowd might have been a little out of control, but after everything we've been through as a fan base it was bound to happen.

#1, Rick Barry is a blow hard, always has been, and sounded a lot like Triple H riling up a crowd, as Pawno pointed out.

But Lacob was genuinely surprised and sure maybe the remark fueled the fire, but get back to me after you get booed by 20 thousand people and lets see how gracious you are about it... Especially considering RICK BARRY WAS RIGHT. It IS Joe Lacob's money! He HAS shown a willingness to spend that Cohan NEVER did! As I said in my first, embarrassed, post: would you rather he sold the team back to Cohan??? He JUST traded for a top 5 center. Is everyone so near-sighted that they can't recognize what Bogut is because he's wearing a boot brace?? This is the fix EVERYONE has asked for... For THIRTY YEARS... And Lacob made it happen.

For him to be booed because a bunch of drunk assh*les felt like sucking Monta's balls for 5 minutes... It's embarrassing to be grouped into a fan base with morons like that.

For clarification, GS23, I'm bad-mouthing the punks in the arena and not trying to personally attack you. I'm just frustrated at how this whole thing was handled and the seemingly booming pride these people have for "exercising their right AS FANS to boo." :roll:
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:24 pm
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:25 pm
Yeah, I saw this and I immediately felt bad for the guy..he looked crushed when he got boo'ed by the crowd. It was a stand-up act Rick Barry did in siding with the owner. Do I have to remind everyone that the promise to make the playoffs was before the lockout and before training camp was completely cancelled? I know it would probably be the same result, but this season is lost..even the winner of the championship is going to have an asterisk next to their name for "shortened season..better luck next year". He's doing his best with what he's got. If you aren't going to like the owner, at least show some respect and keep a happy environment for a man getting his jersey retired. Geez.
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 486
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:03 am
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:21 pm
He got booed by the part of Warriors fanbase that is ok with a team going nowhere, stuck in mediocrity with no chance for a title, a play-off year every now and then as long as they see 120pts games. And off course the only thing they read after the game is how many points a player scored, more points better player, who scores more? He is our star, the end, don't touch him he is our hero. I hope that part is a minority because otherwise all this years we had exactly the team we deserved and wanted, and Cohan know better.
Image

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21417
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:36 pm
JREED wrote:Nothing all that new, Cohan got boo'd. I think they should have gave it a couple more crap seasons before they did it, but everyone needs to understand the frustration. The general consensus on this board is that Monta needed to go, however most Warrior fans I know, loved him and for them he was one of the few reasons to support the team.



You know what, I can say I "loved" Jamison, Arenas, Baron, JRich and Monta. What I will say, more than aynthing else relating to the GS Warriors, is that the team had no hope of being any more than a 7th or 8th seed, getting likely eliminated in the 1st round of the playoffs, more likely a low lottery team, getting about 30-35 wins in a full season.

That's what we've had for quite a while in the last 20 years or so.

The recent trade doesn't guarantee anything. Nothing is guaranteed really. It does give a real chance of the team improving and maybe becoming a championship contender.

Well educated basketball fans know this and are not unhappy with the recent trade. If they Warriors fans that is
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:21 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:03 pm
I never thought this roster was going to make the playoffs at the beginning of the season, but when he says he's going to turn the team around I expected some big moves and a competitive team. Right now we're even more middle ground than ever. Unless they are going to tank we're still not getting a lottery pick and we definitely don't have any shot at the playoffs. So far his first 2 years have been no different than the past 20. I feel like he gives up too easily. Keith Smart got one year with an awful team and was out. Brandon Wright was traded for nothing and Lin was released.

Bogut is a huge risk not because of chronic injuries but a broken ankle is pretty serious and could easily become a chronic issue for a big man. I didn't think Monta was the future of this team but he was their best player and a lot of teams were interested. I thought they could have gotten more for him or at least gotten Bogut without giving up Udoh.

As far as spending money, that Barry comment pissed me off especially after the lockout. He has more money than someone could spend in a lifetime and he's taking a minor pay cut while we continue to support this team with sell outs and get the same garbage on the court every year.

32 you made some good points and I don't know, maybe directly booing Lacob directly wasn't the right thing to do. But booing the management of this franchise is necessary and right now he is the face of it. He made a huge gamble which could put us in the playoffs next year or set us back another 5 years. A lot of frustration gets built up especially when it seems like we have a few weeks of hope each season and then it's "wait til next year." This year with the short season and being 3 games out it seemed like we had a slim shot at sneaking in. Now we have to sit through a few more months of bad basketball and hope the gamble pays off.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1129
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:53 pm
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:32 pm
I think both sides fail to see the point.
A) Those who were booing were not booing because of their love for Monta or the trade. They booed because they were promised a competitive team and playoff hopes. Two years and the team is doing worse in the standings with the same message being said, "next year, you'll see". There is always an excuse, we'll see what it is next year... Curry's ankle doesn't heal, Bogut's ankle doesnt heal... Lee becomes too white to play... Something.

B) Those fans fail to see that even though they have the right to boo Lacob, wrong place,
Wrong time!! It was a gathering of Warrior greats. A time to celebrate, remember the few good times. It was Mullins night, a thanks for his work. Rather we said thx but you don't matter that much to us. It was like us taking a piss on our own history book. It was wrong. I mean, if you were invited to a wedding, would you boo when the father in law made a toast because the guy was an Ass? No, you wouldn't do it out of respect to those getting married. You disrespected Mullin and all those Warrior legends out there. Let's hope
They forgive us!!

I would have encouraged those who booed to do so during the game, not then.
Then again those who did it probably wouldn't waste their time reading this post.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"
Image

Image : 2010 - 2011
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 486
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:03 am
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:18 am
Anyone having any doubts about the next Warriors arena location after that?
Image

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 683
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:29 am
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:38 am
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:I think both sides fail to see the point.
A) Those who were booing were not booing because of their love for Monta or the trade. They booed because they were promised a competitive team and playoff hopes. Two years and the team is doing worse in the standings with the same message being said, "next year, you'll see". There is always an excuse, we'll see what it is next year... Curry's ankle doesn't heal, Bogut's ankle doesnt heal... Lee becomes too white to play... Something.

B) Those fans fail to see that even though they have the right to boo Lacob, wrong place,
Wrong time!! It was a gathering of Warrior greats. A time to celebrate, remember the few good times. It was Mullins night, a thanks for his work. Rather we said thx but you don't matter that much to us. It was like us taking a piss on our own history book. It was wrong. I mean, if you were invited to a wedding, would you boo when the father in law made a toast because the guy was an Ass? No, you wouldn't do it out of respect to those getting married. You disrespected Mullin and all those Warrior legends out there. Let's hope
They forgive us!!

I would have encouraged those who booed to do so during the game, not then.
Then again those who did it probably wouldn't waste their time reading this post.



A) I don't know about that, there seemed to be a lot of Monta fans and a ton of applause after one guy yelled "We want Montaa!!" Think that had a lot to do with the boos.
B) Totally agree and great analogy

I'm not seeing this as the "same old Warriors" with the same old bone-headed moves. I think that's what the booers don't realize. Being scared of pissing off the fans and keeping Ellis would've been the same old Warriors. Jerry West signed off on this deal. Yeah, so the FO made some promises. Well, stuff happens. When you have an opportunity to grab a top 5 center, you can't pass it up, even if it means forgoing the short-term "success" and even if it's a bit of gamble. Funny thing is the booers act like we were a 5th seed or something. It was same old thing as every year where we're 3-4 games outta the 8th seed, treading water. When was the last time Cohan brought the team a great PF and C combo? We've always had guards. Arenas / JRich, Baron / Monta, Hardaway / Richmond. But this has gotta be one of the best frontcourt combos Warrirs have had....ever? Can't wait til the day Bogut plays...booers will be eating crow, or I'll be if he turns into Greg Oden.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:49 pm
GS23 wrote:I never thought this roster was going to make the playoffs at the beginning of the season, but when he says he's going to turn the team around I expected some big moves and a competitive team. Right now we're even more middle ground than ever. Unless they are going to tank we're still not getting a lottery pick and we definitely don't have any shot at the playoffs. So far his first 2 years have been no different than the past 20. I feel like he gives up too easily. Keith Smart got one year with an awful team and was out. Brandon Wright was traded for nothing and Lin was released.

Bogut is a huge risk not because of chronic injuries but a broken ankle is pretty serious and could easily become a chronic issue for a big man. I didn't think Monta was the future of this team but he was their best player and a lot of teams were interested. I thought they could have gotten more for him or at least gotten Bogut without giving up Udoh.

As far as spending money, that Barry comment pissed me off especially after the lockout. He has more money than someone could spend in a lifetime and he's taking a minor pay cut while we continue to support this team with sell outs and get the same garbage on the court every year.

32 you made some good points and I don't know, maybe directly booing Lacob directly wasn't the right thing to do. But booing the management of this franchise is necessary and right now he is the face of it. He made a huge gamble which could put us in the playoffs next year or set us back another 5 years. A lot of frustration gets built up especially when it seems like we have a few weeks of hope each season and then it's "wait til next year." This year with the short season and being 3 games out it seemed like we had a slim shot at sneaking in. Now we have to sit through a few more months of bad basketball and hope the gamble pays off.

Excellent post, I see your point of view.

I believe our main separation lies in how great a risk we believe Bogut's injury is. While I am usually weary about acquiring a big man with a foot injury, you have to take into account Joe Lacob's incredibly close ties to the Stanford medical staff and their extensive knowledge of the situation (they've supposedly been keeping an eye on Bogut for a year, so they know all about the elbow too). Bob Fitzgerald brought up the fact yesterday that Giants fans are all but certain that Buster Posey will fully recover from his ankle injury... And Bogut's ankle fracture is a walk in the park compared to Buster's broken femur. I think if there was a high risk of reoccurring injuries with Bogut, 1, there wouldn't have been so many suitors for him and, 2, I doubt the medically savvy Lacob (who has acquired nothing but healthy players this year - McGuire, Robinson, Rush, Thompson, etc) would have surrendered a top 10 NBA scorer for him. You describe the situation as a "huge risk". I'd say it's a calculated risk... And most of it is associated with tanking the season to reacquire our pick. I don't think you'll see any backlash of this injury next year as far as Bogut is concerned.

You gotta admit, if Bogut is healthy, this is a huge upgrade. Paired with a healthy Curry (let's hope) and David Lee, along with Klay Thompson, this lineup (bench withstanding) looks not only playoff worthy, but 5 or 6 seed-ish.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1129
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:53 pm
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:55 pm
32 wrote:
GS23 wrote:I never thought this roster was going to make the playoffs at the beginning of the season, but when he says he's going to turn the team around I expected some big moves and a competitive team. Right now we're even more middle ground than ever. Unless they are going to tank we're still not getting a lottery pick and we definitely don't have any shot at the playoffs. So far his first 2 years have been no different than the past 20. I feel like he gives up too easily. Keith Smart got one year with an awful team and was out. Brandon Wright was traded for nothing and Lin was released.

Bogut is a huge risk not because of chronic injuries but a broken ankle is pretty serious and could easily become a chronic issue for a big man. I didn't think Monta was the future of this team but he was their best player and a lot of teams were interested. I thought they could have gotten more for him or at least gotten Bogut without giving up Udoh.

As far as spending money, that Barry comment pissed me off especially after the lockout. He has more money than someone could spend in a lifetime and he's taking a minor pay cut while we continue to support this team with sell outs and get the same garbage on the court every year.

32 you made some good points and I don't know, maybe directly booing Lacob directly wasn't the right thing to do. But booing the management of this franchise is necessary and right now he is the face of it. He made a huge gamble which could put us in the playoffs next year or set us back another 5 years. A lot of frustration gets built up especially when it seems like we have a few weeks of hope each season and then it's "wait til next year." This year with the short season and being 3 games out it seemed like we had a slim shot at sneaking in. Now we have to sit through a few more months of bad basketball and hope the gamble pays off.

Excellent post, I see your point of view.

I believe our main separation lies in how great a risk we believe Bogut's injury is. While I am usually weary about acquiring a big man with a foot injury, you have to take into account Joe Lacob's incredibly close ties to the Stanford medical staff and their extensive knowledge of the situation (they've supposedly been keeping an eye on Bogut for a year, so they know all about the elbow too). Bob Fitzgerald brought up the fact yesterday that Giants fans are all but certain that Buster Posey will fully recover from his ankle injury... And Bogut's ankle fracture is a walk in the park compared to Buster's broken femur. I think if there was a high risk of reoccurring injuries with Bogut, 1, there wouldn't have been so many suitors for him and, 2, I doubt the medically savvy Lacob (who has acquired nothing but healthy players this year - McGuire, Robinson, Rush, Thompson, etc) would have surrendered a top 10 NBA scorer for him. You describe the situation as a "huge risk". I'd say it's a calculated risk... And most of it is associated with tanking the season to reacquire our pick. I don't think you'll see any backlash of this injury next year as far as Bogut is concerned.

You gotta admit, if Bogut is healthy, this is a huge upgrade. Paired with a healthy Curry (let's hope) and David Lee, along with Klay Thompson, this lineup (bench withstanding) looks not only playoff worthy, but 5 or 6 seed-ish.



Don't put your trust in Stanford Medical staff... had some very bad experiences with them... just saying, they sound they would be great doctors, but in reality they are as good as the next... some times better, some times worse.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"
Image

Image : 2010 - 2011
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:35 pm
Yeah, I don't have any first-hand experience, but they definitely have a pretty good reputation. :dontknow:

I'm just saying; how can any of us believe that we can tell the doctors used by Lacob to observe Bogut, they don't know what they're talking about and he's injury prone? If there was a reoccuring problem with the guy waiting to happen, don't you think someone along the line of inspecting him would have noticed? Are we really the best informed folks cause we correlate his GPs on his ESPN statline?
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:33 pm
Location: Los Anyeles, CA
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:50 pm
32 wrote:
I'm just saying; how can any of us believe that we can tell the doctors used by Lacob to observe Bogut, they don't know what they're talking about and he's injury prone? If there was a reoccuring problem with the guy waiting to happen, don't you think someone along the line of inspecting him would have noticed? Are we really the best informed folks cause we correlate his GPs on his ESPN statline?


Agreed. I think the Bucks mostly traded him not because he was damaged, but because they're fed up with Bogut after he has had different injuries the past few years. The frustration may have been mutual as have heard rumors of Bogut wanting a trade. They were all high impact, freak injuries he has responded to well. The Bucks GM was also trying to save his job by getting a playoff birth which was attainable by swapping a player who is done for the season for a good scorer to add to a fringe playoff team with no go to scorer.
Get Money. Get Paid.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:41 pm
Dr. Spaceman wrote:
32 wrote:
I'm just saying; how can any of us believe that we can tell the doctors used by Lacob to observe Bogut, they don't know what they're talking about and he's injury prone? If there was a reoccuring problem with the guy waiting to happen, don't you think someone along the line of inspecting him would have noticed? Are we really the best informed folks cause we correlate his GPs on his ESPN statline?


Agreed. I think the Bucks mostly traded him not because he was damaged, but because they're fed up with Bogut after he has had different injuries the past few years. The frustration may have been mutual as have heard rumors of Bogut wanting a trade. They were all high impact, freak injuries he has responded to well. The Bucks GM was also trying to save his job by getting a playoff birth which was attainable by swapping a player who is done for the season for a good scorer to add to a fringe playoff team with no go to scorer.

I completely agree with that last bit. That's EXACTLY why they traded him; because they wanted to get to the playoffs THIS year. It was a quick fix, but (as most experts agree) they had to surrender the best player in the deal to do it.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image

Rookie
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:08 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:26 pm
Steve Lachin over at Sports Illustrated has a very interesting article about how getting booed is a right of passage for people important not just to Warriors fans, but to Bay Area sports fans in general: http://sidelines.co/article/246638/2125. Definitely worth a read for a different perspective.

But yea, Mullin deserved way better on his night.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:16 pm
Auric wrote:Steve Lachin over at Sports Illustrated has a very interesting article about how getting booed is a right of passage for people important not just to Warriors fans, but to Bay Area sports fans in general: http://sidelines.co/article/246638/2125. Definitely worth a read for a different perspective.

But yea, Mullin deserved way better on his night.

Interesting read, although I disagree with the general premise.

Booing may show a knowledge of who said person is, but Lacob's case is far different from A-Rod or any other athlete because (a) Lacob doesn't play, so the fans aren't booing in an attempt to sabotage his respected skills and (b) the Bay Area cannot be compared to fanbases in NY or Philly; the Bay shows infinite more class and appreciation for its own. We don't bail on our guys in a shallow attempt to prove that "WE are winners, YOU guys are losers!"... Our fans are much classier (and smarter) than that... Which is what made that night such an embarrassment.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest