San Franciso 49ers thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2425
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:05 pm
PAWNO wrote:BTW quick reality check on your Qb position.

Payton Manning dogging ya and choosing the Broncos is a blessing in disguise as Alex Smith will feel unwanted and sign with the Dolphins (hopefully) & you can progress to the Kaepernick era sooner.

CK (Kaepernick)looked raw last preseason but that was due to no preseason ect. he really is the better athlete out of the two. if you saw the progression that Harbaugh did with Alex Smith, just wait til you see Harbaigh work his magic with a true NFL specimen.

I think Kapernick will be a poor mans Cam Newton (will be able to scramble and throw the passes)

Colin is nowhere close to Alex. He can't read defense really good, his passing motions is still hilarious. Alex is a great athlete, I don't know how people form that opinion of him (that he's not). He came into the league as a 1st round pick based on his athletic skills as well. And you could have seen his athletic ability this season, just think of that run against the Saints, for example.

And I don't wanna Kaepernick to start, he doesn't give me any positive to look for in the game, if he was behind the center. Anyway, Smith will be back.
Image
Image
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5875
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 5:05 am
Location: Brisbane
Poster Credit: 32
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:15 pm
Well Guybrush I believe your locked onto the theory that Alex Smith will continue to improve. You see results of a QB development in year 1 thru 3 where they start to harness the talent to co-incide with the Pro football coach theory they are learning.

Alex Smith really wasnt anything special last year. Harbaugh just started teaching him the neuancies to play like a pro footballer... If you expect him to make further leaps next year then I think you'll be suprised. (Alex only really improved on not turning the ball over, he still has issues with his arm strength)

Kaepernick is twice the athlete that Smith is. The only reason Alex got drafted 1 was because it was a weak class & even the other good qb from his year Aaron Rodgers had question marks of his own.

I like Kaepernick. Watched some Nevada games as we get our fairshare of college football games on ESPN Australia. If you put Kaepernick with that defense you still have another chance to go 13-3. But the upside of Kaepernick 5 years down the track to the aging Alex Smith might just be the difference between superbowl winners and playoff appearancers.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5875
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 5:05 am
Location: Brisbane
Poster Credit: 32
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:18 pm
Guybrush wrote:
PAWNO wrote:Who names their child Shawntae? SMH.

Just looking for a review on the raiders signing Shawntae Spencer (former 9er CB)

is he any good? He was cut recently by Harbaugh but I wonder if it was a talent cut or a knucklehead cut.

He was good prior to the arrival of Jim Harbaugh. He was our starter, and when we played Arizona he was the one that guarded Fitz, and the biggest thing is that he actually managed to reduce Fitz's impact on the game. I heard also that Shawntae and Fitzgerlad are friends as well.

I don't know why he was in Harbaugh's doghouse, I was curious about that all season long, and still can't see a reason why. Maybe he just wanted to go with younger guys.


thanks for the review mate :mrgreen:
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2425
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:34 pm
PAWNO wrote:Well Guybrush I believe your locked onto the theory that Alex Smith will continue to improve. You see results of a QB development in year 1 thru 3 where they start to harness the talent to co-incide with the Pro football coach theory they are learning.

Alex Smith really wasnt anything special last year. Harbaugh just started teaching him the neuancies to play like a pro footballer... If you expect him to make further leaps next year then I think you'll be suprised. (Alex only really improved on not turning the ball over, he still has issues with his arm strength)

Kaepernick is twice the athlete that Smith is. The only reason Alex got drafted 1 was because it was a weak class & even the other good qb from his year Aaron Rodgers had question marks of his own.

I like Kaepernick. Watched some Nevada games as we get our fairshare of college football games on ESPN Australia. If you put Kaepernick with that defense you still have another chance to go 13-3. But the upside of Kaepernick 5 years down the track to the aging Alex Smith might just be the difference between superbowl winners and playoff appearancers.

I think you're wrong, and I mean, really wrong. :)

First of all, you can't put a limit on how many years one can develop. Second, Alex never had a chance to develop, he was thrown in right away, with awful OL, and got hurt quite a lot. He still played, and played through shoulder separation, that's a guy I want on my team. Along that toughness he showed that he has balls during this last playoff. That's something you either have or don't, and Alex is one of the most mental tough guys I have seen. He changed his OC and playbook every year, so one more reason you can't expect someone to develop when he is starting from scratch every single year. He basically just now started to show his potential. He improved in every single aspect, but you can't see it probably because of those other QBs numbers, which threw the ball 100 more times than Alex. And it's not because Alex is bad, but because we had best field position average in the NFL.

Few things about Colin, Nevada is playing in a bad division, all those games he played against weak opponents made him look that good. Otherwise, he would most likely look 5 times worse if he played in SEC, especially with that throwing motion.

Alex doesn't have a weak arm, that's another illusion people seem to have. If you check percentage of 40+ yard passes, he is on top of the league. Yes, he didn't attempt it that much, but he didn't have deep threat option on his team either. And still did if quite good. Add to that 5 4th quarter comebacks, and you can see some things that really matter, more than numbers. That's a winner, and you can see that when you have a team, not when you play practice squad players alongside him, and expect him to be great. No open receivers, no more than 2 seconds from the OL.

And one more thing, Alex is not aging, he's 27, and we just saw that teams are still fighting over 36 year old Peyton Manning. If Alex manages to play good, he could be in a league for 10 more years. Few years that Kaep is younger don't mean much.
Image
Image
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2425
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:38 pm
PAWNO wrote:
Guybrush wrote:
PAWNO wrote:Who names their child Shawntae? SMH.

Just looking for a review on the raiders signing Shawntae Spencer (former 9er CB)

is he any good? He was cut recently by Harbaugh but I wonder if it was a talent cut or a knucklehead cut.

He was good prior to the arrival of Jim Harbaugh. He was our starter, and when we played Arizona he was the one that guarded Fitz, and the biggest thing is that he actually managed to reduce Fitz's impact on the game. I heard also that Shawntae and Fitzgerlad are friends as well.

I don't know why he was in Harbaugh's doghouse, I was curious about that all season long, and still can't see a reason why. Maybe he just wanted to go with younger guys.


thanks for the review mate :mrgreen:

Anytime...though I know you're gonna take it with the grain of salt, because we don't agree on Alex Smith subject. ::lol:
Image
Image
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5875
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 5:05 am
Location: Brisbane
Poster Credit: 32
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:09 pm
Wow didnt know Alex was so young. Hmm... Well sounds like its a win/win regardless of what happens. win if he stays (keeps guys like guybrush happy) win if he leaves (then i can prove you wrong that CK is best man for the job)

I'll be interested to hear JREED thoughts on the subject. I'm guessing he will rip me. But im thinking that seen he has had a hypothetical breakup with Alex for a couple day fling with Payton Manning that he may have seen the writing on the wall & is ready for CK

side note: i read on twitter that the great Tim Kawakami said the only thing holding up Alex Smith signing his contract with the Niners last week was gaurenteed dollars. Is that not a clear enough sign that yhe Niners are not 100% sold on Alex?
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2425
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:45 pm
We shall see who is right. :)

And about Alex's contract...it was said that he was satisfied with the contract and that it will be signed for sure. Probably they were discussing some small matters, and were ready to wrap it up. Then started the Manning talk, and now Smith said that it's not at all about money, or length of the contract, but the loyalty. So, we'll have to wait and see.

Harbaugh, as reported, either took half day off, cause he left the headquarters, or is trying to make amends with Alex.
Image
Image
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2425
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:47 pm
And yeah, don't expect from JREED to be as polite as I was. ::razz:
Image
Image
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2425
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:30 pm
And now I'm calm again.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/20/smith-c ... aking_news
Image
Image
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2600
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: Eureka, CA - Humboldt
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:39 pm
I don't know anything about A.J. Jenkins, hopefully my displeasure with this pick is erased like it was with last years pick. I would have liked to see us pick up a guard considering our divisional foes loaded up on dline.
User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 2240
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:43 pm
Location: Foster City, CA
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:14 pm
Neither do I, but after the Aldon Smith pick last year I will give Baalke the benefit of the doubt.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2425
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:45 am
My sentiments exactly. I kind of wanted a WR, but I would feel good if they drafted a OG as well. Those WRs that were projected to go late in the first or early in the second are all pretty close talent wise. Jenkins had a great senior season at Illinois. Someone from their staff there compared him to Brandon Lloyd. Anyway, since we have a competent FO, I'm not worried. I was hoping it would be Hill, or Randle, or even Sanu, but Jenkins is not far away from them. When they start playing professional football, we will see who's really a better player.
Image
Image

Moderator
Posts: 5360
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:21 pm
Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:09 am
The 49ers should have traded up to get david decastro... another one of Harbaughs boys (plus, he is the safest guy in the draft).
User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 2240
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:43 pm
Location: Foster City, CA
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:55 am
Yeah, I was actually hoping they would go guard. Maybe they have someone in mind in the 2nd round. Maybe they can move up a bit and get that guy from Midwestern State.

Jumping into the Alex debate late, it will be really interesting to see what happens if Alex gets hurt at all and Kaep gets any playing time. I am REALLY high on this guy, and was the guy I wanted them to draft in 2011 and was stunned when they actually did. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the starter by 2013. Nothing against Alex, but I think he's near his ceiling. I expect to improve a bit this year with a full off-season, but aside from that I don't think we'll get much more from him. I think he's an average starting quarterback at best, no more, no less.
User avatar
Rookie
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:23 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:32 pm
After last year, I've given up on having any opinion on the draft. Harbaugh and Baalke clearly know what they are doing.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron