2012 draft choice

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:29 am
Assuming the Clown realizes he must develop the rookies and stop trying to win (thankfully and logically with no success), who would you like us to pick with our top 7 draft pick. I am reading the profiles on the draft net and i can't make my mind. Not to mention i can't see any of them here in Greece. And by the way if the pick is a PF what will happen to FO's all time favourite Lee? Opinions?

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior

Rookie
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:24 pm
Ideally we could get a an atheltic slashing 3 to play along with:

Curry, Klay, Lee and Bogut.. Anyone know if they kid from Baylor Perry Jones can play the 3 position?

We just need talent at this point don't you agree? Draft the best player available because I'm not sure if we are really stacked on any position.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:21 pm
We need someone like a Kawhi Leonard or a Chris Singleton of last year's draft. Maybe we can get someone like that in the 2nd round. If we get something like a top 5 pick, we'd be crossing our fingers for someone like Andre Drummond who is a young, super athletic, and he averages something like 3 blocks a game. If not him, Michael Gilchrist or Harrison Barnes are really high on Chad Ford's top 100 list which is the list I'm basically getting all of my college player information from. According to Ford, both of those 3's play high level defense.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:23 pm
in my opinion we dont necessary need a starting 3, rush, and dorell can play the starting 3. we needa good 6th man. rather its good back up 1 to 5. i prefer a back up Center, since bogut only average 30games per season.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:29 pm
The best player available and David Lee is not a All star when he has to guard other All star PF.

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:32 pm
Harrison Barnes. We'd have the best shooting lineup in the league with size.
Steph
Klay
Harrison
David
Andrew

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:17 am
Best available player, this is a deep enough draft if we land a top 7 we should be good, best fit would be Gilchrist, but majority of the draft sites have him going 2nd after Anthony Davis. This would be a great draft to have that top 7 pick.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:01 am
Lotterypicks are always intriguing and get fans excited, but to be honest, I'd rather trade the lottery pick for an already established SF player, one that plays both ends is pretty much a must. Maybe even add the Spurs 1st rounder and adding RJeff to that would be a dream. Heck, add DWright as well for salary to get the already established SF. I just don't want any question marks and this team has had quite a few in the lottery we can all remember.

I'd like to get JSmith from Atlanta, I've said that more than once. He was SF there before and did quite well. I do think GWallace would be better as the SF, but not sure he is gettable right now and he seems like he may have regressed a bit.

For the team to become a real championship contender, there can't be too many young players with next to no experience. Klay is doing well, but I don't want to add another very young player. He'd have to be a sure thing and usually draft picks aren't, though they can be and come rather cheapfor four years. Bogut, Lee and even Curry have enough experience and proven ability that the team can be a contender, but a fourth established player is needed and SF is the other spot that needs to be properly filled

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:19 am
I see your point Mig but this is probably one of the deepest drafts in quite some time, with alot of NBA ready players, so the risk of getting a bust is limited.

Look at the thunder/wolves they have built well through the draft.

Getting a good SF would mean trading a value-able asset, Richard Jefferson and Dwright don't fit that bill. Our major assests right now are Curry, Lee, Bogut, and down the line possibly Klay.

While I was a fan of Josh smith and still am, we would have to give one of the assets mention, and I think a Bogut/Lee combination is a good one that will compliment each other well.

If the warriors get a top 7 pick they should definitely draft. You can't pass on a draft like this.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:29 am
I understand and do believe that if the team gets to keep the lottery pick, they'll draft a player and maybe even do well with him. I still do think the best bet is to get a proven SF in a trade. A top 7 pick is VERY valuable and in a trade will get great returns. Throw in DWright and that's salary that is an expirer, so even more valuable.

Getting the lottery pick will open up even more options and maybe the genius Jerry West can come up with another great coup

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:50 am
I just don't see any good enough SF on the block out there to give up a first rounder IF it is top 7, and DWright's value isn't so great right now he is having a horrible season.

I like Rush off the bench, and we could manage with Richard Jefferson,

When you say proven SF, which names come in mind, I am thinking the usual, Deng, Granger, Iguadula, but their teams won't give them up I mean the warriors could try I just don't their teams giving them up.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:22 am
I think DWright's salry being an expirer is quite attractive, especially coupled with the lottery pick, even the Spurs 1st rounder.

The SFs that I'm thinking of start with JSmith. Yes he plays PF now, but was always a very good SF in Atlanta when he played SF there. His defense is real good and the team has to continue it's change to good defense, which started with Bogut, but really he is the only one in the starting five that plays good defense, the rest are pretty awful, maybe Klay is alright and will improve. One man doesn't equal a good defensive team, just an improved one. JSmith's defense, as well as his scoring and rebounding ability could be great next to a real Center and more talent than he has around him in Atlanta.

Iggy is doing less than he has in a long time and low and behold, Philly is winning more. The guy is not as good as he was, not gotten as good as I thought he would have become and not worth the amount of money he gets, definately not the SF I want here.

Granger has become a shooter and an outside shooting one at that only. Really has looked bad with what an allround great player he looked like he was going to be and now he is known for the outside shot more than anything else. I don't want him either.

Gay is someone some would name, but his just a scorer and not a super one either, just a very good one, but not elite at all. He is above average at everything else, that's it, not worth the money he gets either.

I want JSmith as first option, after him, GWallace. That guy plays both ends and though he has done less since he was traded to Portland, due to the many other very good players they had when he got there, he still produces and that defense of his is as good as JSmith's or at least it was not long ago. That goes also has length and can do pretty much everything on the court. Since Nets traded their lottery pick for him, in order to try and keep Deron there, they should be willing to part with him if Deron doesn't stay.

Odom, who has had his worst season while being wrongly used in Dallas, is someone who'd fit in well also. He scores quite well and passes and rebounds very well. I'd want him if he's available.

Prince of Detroit is another SF I think would fit well here, though he produces less stat wise. Prince still is a very good defender and pretty much does everything well.

Not many other SF types around other than those, but still quite a few to go for with the few tradeable assets the team has. With the lottery pick, really more options available that could mean contending straight away

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:58 am
via MT2

SOURCE: Nothing can be done until draft lottery, but the Warriors have been working on reacquiring their pick back from Utah for months. No core players would be given up for the pick. But Golden State would likely use their three picks to woo Utah
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:25 pm
I prefer a rookie than a primadona who most likely don't want to come to Golden State. With him, Curry, Klay i have my core for many years to come.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:22 pm
8th ave wrote:via MT2

SOURCE: Nothing can be done until draft lottery, but the Warriors have been working on reacquiring their pick back from Utah for months. No core players would be given up for the pick. But Golden State would likely use their three picks to woo Utah

The Jazz might think they just need a great PG and they can really contend. They probably can't get that great guard in the draft (have to wait for that player to develop a bit) so they probably want more than one pick to make a trade with another team for an estalished player. They'd probably be better served trading the top 7 pick plus another player for salary purposes for a great PG, but if we can get our lottery pick back, if we need to that is because the team is falling in the standing wells recently, then real good

Next

Return to Warriors Basketball