Your Top 5 Players to Watch

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:34 pm
This is just the opposite of my hate thread: who do you live to see playing on other squads? Whose a guy will tune in just to see? My 5:

(5) Derek Rose - A hammer dunking point guard whose a repeat offender with the poster-cam. Rose's trademark jam combines the power of David Robinson's two-handed flush with the legs of Clyde Drexler. As far as ball-handlers go, he is the most unstoppable player from baseline to baseline in the entire league. Speed, power, explosion. Inch-for-inch, he may be the best there is.

(4) Javelle McGee - Simply put: not fair. McGee overflows the 7-foot cup they claim he's in, his hands could palm a medicine ball, and he could grab a quarter off the top of the backboard. But perhaps my favorite thing about McGee is that he gets off on swatting hovering basketballs anywhere near him... And distance is clearly a goal of his, as he prefers battering balls into the audience over keeping possession. Problematic if you're on my team, but as a fan, I'm cheering like a Roman in the Collesium.

(3) Al Jefferson - It should be no secret by now that I'm a huge advocate for the old school, low post battles that captivated audiences in the 80s and 90s. Big Al is one of a handful of players to still employ a complete arsenal of slick, chess-like low post maneuvers. And as of now, he is indisputably the most dangerous player in single coverage on the block.

(2) Kevin Durant - Game recognize game. Kevin Durant is doing to the small forward position what KG said he was gonna do, but realized its too much work to expand your range out to half court when you already got a nasty post game and enough physical gifts to face up, drive, or get to the line. The amount of off-balanced, rainbow arcing circus shots that Durant comes up with are simply a joy to watch.

(1) Blake Griffin - If you have a pulse, this should be your answer. Blake Griffin may very well be the greatest animal to ever lace up a pair of sneakers. When I say ANIMAL, I mean dudes that not only had the insane pogo-stick ups, the CANT-DENY-ME power, and the runway speed: but dudes who had the attitude to go with it. The guys who THREW it down on fools with a total disregard for mercy or respect for the other guy. The Shawn Kemp's, the Charles Barkley's, the Larry Johnson's, the Amar'e Stoudamire's... Blake Griffin has, thus far, dethroned every one of them. He is literally CAN'T MISS television. Perhaps the greatest ANIMAL in NBA history.

Missin the cut: Ricky Rubio, Steve Nash, LeBron James, Jason Kidd
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:34 am
My Top Five Favorite Player right now (not necessarily the 5 best):

1. Steve Nash/Jason Kidd (Along with Iverson, those were the 3 players I modeled my basketball game over.)
2. Ricky Rubio (being Spainsh, I am rooting for Ricky. Cannot wait to see him).
3. Kevin Durant (I have been lucky to see him play twice already. Dude is a competitor. He is my favorite superstar).
4. Kobe Bryant (I don't like the lakers, but I have grown on Kobe. He is becoming more like the Great Michael Jordan than people want to admit. He gets hurt. He still plays. Can't say that about LeBron, who is even 7 years younger.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:09 am
1. Steve Nash - I always loved to watch pure point guards, and Nash is definitely one of those, can't see them a lot now days. Before Steve I enjoyed watching the greatest PG ever, John Stockton.

2. Kevin Durant - It's just amazing to watch this guy. He has it all, scoring, defense, great basketball IQ, he can dish assists, rebound...true player. When I play basketball I always take pride in that I do everything. I give it my all on defense, I can shoot, rebound...etc. I guess I always had a special spot for guys who become stars in the NBA and still are not shying away from contact or doing the dirty work.

3. Andre Igoudala - He's not the star as Durant is, but he is one of those guys that is willing to do it all, and he is a glue in his team. He makes it all work, and makes everyone around him look better, and makes it easier for them. You gotta love those kind of players.

4. LeBron James - He had his stupid parts, like that one when he left Cleveland, and I mean on the way how he did it. It's obvious now that he has regrets for doing it like that, and I came to think that he matured and realized that he was bad guy there. I like to see players who show that, that they are human, not always wanting to look like a star. And I do hope he will be a Cavalier again. And, say what you want, but he is one man show whenever he's on the floor, any time, any team. Amazing athlete.

5. J.J. Redick - I know most of you guys will have question marks here, but I always loved watching pure shooters elevating for their shots. Back in the day when I was a kid, I loved watching Glen Rice and his jumpers, that was thing of beauty. Redick is the same to me, a textbook shooter. He's not a star, still developing other parts of his game, but he has a good season so far.

I probably forgot someone, but this is from the top of my head.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:12 pm
No Blake Griffin for either of you guys??

Am I to understand I'm the only person here who wants to see someone drag the backboard down, like Shaq??
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:30 pm
I don't know...I mean I love to see a flashy play, a strong dunk etc., but I also like to see it from a basketball player, and Blake is more of a circus freak to me than a basketball player. You can say I'm not his biggest fan. lol

If he played back in the day when referees didn't had that much impact on the game, didn't protect the stars, he would do much less than he is doing today. His travelling, offensive fouls, no calls on defense...I just don't like all of that. He's closer to my most hated players list than this one here.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:26 pm
I don't have "favorite players" to watch. I do have favorite teams or tandoms:
I am going in reverse order -

5) CP3 / Blake / Griffin - Blake alone has some nice dunks, but he disappears in games. But with CP3 running the show, this team is fun to watch.

4) Curry / Ellis / Lee - Ellis is awesome SG and fun to watch. I don't know why so many hate on him. He isn't perfect but he is fun to watch and cheer for. Maybe I am a little biased, but some of the plays he finishes are amazing. And curry has some nice passes and can just shoot the ball. When these guys are on it is fun to watch.

3) D. Rose / Anyone - This guy is fun to see. The way he finishes. He may be the only one on this list who is amazing on his own.

2) K. Durrant / Westbrook / Harden - This team can score. Maybe the best 3 some in the league. Westbrook is just crazy fast and the way he takes it to the rim and finishes is amazing. And the way Durant can seemsly score at will.... i'll probably be rooting for them to win it all come June.

1) LeBron / Wade / Bosh - Um... to watch Wade and LeBron play together is ... priceless. These guys LOVE to play together and they play with superior athletism and skill. They are the best team (despite what I put in #2), and I can spend a whole day just watching some of their highlights. The dunks, the alley ops. The full court passes. The swats. I just love it all. Doesn't mean I want them to win though, haha
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:37 pm
Guybrush wrote:If he played back in the day when referees didn't had that much impact on the game, didn't protect the stars, he would do much less than he is doing today. His travelling, offensive fouls, no calls on defense...I just don't like all that

Seeee... I understand the personal dislikes you listed, but... I gotta disagree with the quoted part above. Griffin is an athlete the likes of which we don't ever see. He's a physical freak and I'd argue in the previous years before athletically dominant players ruled the league, he'd actually do more. Remember: most these "offensive fouls" being called today are BS situations stemmed from defenders trying to flop. Imagine how many posters Griffin would have if the majority of his opponents actually tried to block him...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:20 pm
Back then the game was played a lot tougher. I can't imagine Griffin dunking over Mutombo, Olajuwon...heck, he would have problems being guarded by McDyess, Oakley at PF position. Might not be athletic players as the are now, but those were one damn tough guys who knew how to play the game, especially on defense.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:19 pm
I won't disagree with you there; the 80's-90's bigs were definitely at an all-time level of toughness. But I still think Griffin is an all-time type of athlete and while he might not have thrown down jams like of the Perculator or the oh-my-'Gof, but never the less, a guy like Oakley (or even McDysse, pre-surgery) had NOTHING of Griffin's speed or elevation. I think the only guys stopping Griffin are 7-feet tall... And even then, if it's not Shaq or Mt. Mutumbo, it's a toss-up (I see him slamming it on Ewing, Duncan, Smits, Bradley). Griffin is just a beast on the drive. You literally have Kemp and LJ (before his surgeries) as the only basis of comparison. Blake Griffin hammers down fantasy jams like NBA Street Volume 2.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:02 am
See 32, it's hard for me to like players like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHFjlS_G ... ature=plcp
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:57 pm
Guybrush wrote:See 32, it's hard for me to like players like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHFjlS_G ... ature=plcp

I dunno... That specific play looks dirty on the surface, sure, but Griffin gets wrapped up repeatedly on a nightly basis and I'm sure he's gotten to the point where he just wants to throw guys off of him. Had Griffin collected the ball, you know Ridnoir would have fouled him hard. As far as the physicality big guys display, I have a Chris Webber point of view insofar as: if there's no blood, just let the big guys rumble underneath.

That play sure looks dirty, but remember the Perkins slam? Kendrick literally elbowed Blake right in the breadbasket and Griffin still had the fortitude to finish the play. On one end of the spectrum, dirty... On the other end, tough.

I contest that my reasons for loving Blake Griffin's game is because he does things that nobody else does (or can do).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:23 pm
Damn. After the game last night, I kinda wish there was some way the Dubs could get Tony Allen. Dude works on both ends, he charges half court during the introductions and mugs the other team to cross the line, and his jumper is W-H-E-T from the right angle side. I totally see why Boston was angry about losing him. The Celtics (like the Patriots, funny enough) still have the big name stars, but the reason they blow goats right now is cause they lost their glue guys like Tony, Big Baby, and Perk.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:00 pm
I loved to watch this guy back in the day, and I used to love Sonics while they were in the NBA, it would still be tough to not cheer for them along with Warriors if they return. But, on the topic, Kemp is sharing my view of Blake at some points: :)

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:20 pm
Thanks for sharing! That's extremely interesting footage and commentary.

Kemp kinda has a jealous, condescending air about him; like listening to Shaq dismissing Dwight Howard's play. I agree that Griffin has thrown a couple in, rather than slamming them... But I fail to see how that's a cop out. For my money, Griffin's throw-dunk on Perkins demolishes any poster Kemp had; including the Lister Blister. You also gotta remember the rules have changed (or, at least, the calls have). Kemp's dunk on Lister today would be a charge, so Griffin really can't help that he's not allowed to trash a defender as much (that's not to say he CAN'T, though).

I LOVED watching Kemp play; he and GP are easily the best lob tandem to ever play... But the only reason he feels threatened enough to downplay Griffin's dunks is because of the similarities they share. Prior to Griffin, Shawn owned the category that he's now sharing with Blake. Like I said, very Shaq-and-Dwight kinda thing going on there.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:01 pm
No problem, anytime. :)

And how about those flops from Griffin tonight? And that slap across the face he got from McGuire...was it really that hard to knock him on the ground, lol? The guy is a joke, he's a big guy, strong, plays strong on offense, but he's a little sissy actually who wants calls in his favor no matter what. Not exciting to watch to me, sorry.

Kemp was a class act always, and his duck had more power, and were nice to me. These from Griffin look more savage, but to beauty in it.
Next

Return to NBA Forum