Game Thread: Memphis Grizzlies @ Warriors 2012-03-07

Talk about the upcoming Warriors game here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:14 pm
Memphis Grizzlies (22 - 15) @ Golden State Warriors (15 - 20)

Start time: 7:30 PM PST @ The Oracle Arena
Local TV: CSN Bay Area
Nat TV: NBA TV

Probable starters for the Golden State Warriors:
ImageImageImageImageImage
C - Ekpe Udoh
PF - David Lee
SF - Dorell Wright
SG - Monta Ellis
PG - Stephen Curry

Probable starters for the Memphis Grizzlies:
ImageImageImageImageImage
C - Marc Gasol
PF - Marreese Speights
SF - Rudy Gay
SG - Tony Allen
PG - Mike Conley

Team leaders:
PPG - M. Ellis (22.1) | R. Gay (18.9)
RPG - D. Lee (10.0) | M. Gasol (9.9)
APG - S. Curry (6.0) | M. Conley (6.9)
SPG - S. Curry (1.7) | M. Conley (2.6)
BPG - E. Udoh (1.6) | M. Gasol (2.2)
I've been a Warriors fan since they traded Chris Webber. Can you imagine how that's like....
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:52 pm
well, this game is over already...

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:23 pm
JREED wrote:well, this game is over already...

not untill and if warriors start running, which has happened,
welcome back, my dear fast break :D
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:26 pm
and i'm falling in love with ekpe again. seems his offense is not so bad, great passer

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:00 pm
mcguire should not start in this game and start the third, against tough memphis defense we need to spread the floor, bring rush in

Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:18 pm
We are getting exposed as a team who doesn't have a true center.

By a team that has plenty of talented ones.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:17 am
WarriorHawk87 wrote:We are getting exposed as a team who doesn't have a true center.

By a team that has plenty of talented ones.

I think Ekpe played well at Starting Center, you not going to completely stop Gasol. Problem was Lee couldn't handle their PF and Wright couldn't handle Gay. Wright got manhandled, and not only couldn't score, he couldn't stop Gay, box him out or do anything.

Look at Ekpe's line, 9 points, 6 boards, 4 assits and 4 blocks. That is decent for him being almost a rookie at that spot against a seasoned Gasol. But their was no backup for him... no big off the bench, and Lee was missing (he has been playing well, but when they get physical with him he disappears). We couldn't stop Gay either.

And on Offense, when Curry was in, ball was moving, but when he was out we got stagnent, no ball movement. Then curry got tired and it all went down hill. I really wish Coach would get rid of Wright and play Tyler more.

Also, Grizzlies are such an ugly matchup for us since our Front Court is still weak and lacks depth.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:59 pm
Was at this game. Notes:

- It is absolutely night-and-day how dangerous this team looks when Steph Curry is on the floor. A first quarter blowout became a Warriors lead; fueled, inspired, and orchestrated by Stephen Curry. It's such a shame this kid is so physically weak, because he's a natural shooter that doesn't scrape rim on his 3-point bombs... And he's such a smart player that he ALWAYS hits the right guy when he's forced into a pass.

- Mark Jackson is becoming harder to root for. He's the NBA's Mike Singletary; I want this guy to succeed; he's a motivational talker who says the right things to the media, but man... Klay Thompson at power forward amidst a 10-point swing without a time-out... The room got colder, the court was darker, the colors had faded... It was the unmistakable sight of Nellie-Ball. 8-[ Which leads me to my next point...

- Jeremy Tyler. What the hell? Before the season, I sat at a season ticket holders event where Mark Jackson sat beside Lacob, Guber, and West, like a Mt. Rushmore of hope for a new age of Warriors basketball, and looked us fans in the face while proclaiming that ONLY players who EARN minutes will be REWARDED with floor time. He said this. He said it to us fans. And yet, halfway through the season, I sat through a combination of Biedrins minutes and Nellie-Ball until 6 minutes left in the game, when Tyler was finally inserted. Well, obviously by that point, the writing was on the wall and the Warriors had no shot of winning. But what did I see in those 6 minutes? I saw a guy as big as the center on the other team. And I saw him running the floor harder than anyone else. I saw him get to the line 3 times and grab 3 rebounds. I saw a kid who effected the way the other team came at us. Needless to say, I saw a 7-footer that needs floor time (and more to the point, the Warriors need him to get floor time, too). Let's hope Mark Jackson saw the same thing and wasn't listening to the jack-holes behind me making Patrick O'Bryant jokes.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:18 pm
Pretty much the same things I saw (of course not from Oracle, living where I do). Steph is making a huge impact. At one point our starting five had +/- stats in minus, and it was quite a big minus, except Udoh, who was +3 I believe. And our bench, lead by Curry, was around +15. It just shows in the game when you have a true point guard, and I believe that Curry finally is one. His ankle is just slowing him down. If he was healthy, there is not a slightest doubt who is our franchise player.

I'm not going to talk a lot about Jackson, cause my opinion of him is not from this game, but after 10 games we played a the beginning. When we signed him I was saying that he reminds me a lot of Singletary, and that I'm just hoping I'm wrong. So far...I'm not.

Concerning Tyler, I have to admit I had the same impressions as you did. The guy has a motor, he was giving his best for those lousy 6 minutes that he played. He was running up and down, battling for the rebounds, scoring (from outside the paint), making their players commit fouls...etc. That's a player you want in the game for as long as possible, and yet, he wasn't, for no other reason that to play bloody small ball. Udoh is playing out of his position, and he can't play 30+ minutes a game at a high level battling with much more physical and bigger players than him, Tyler can do that. And also, Lee doesn't need to play that much, Udoh needs some time at PF as well. And Lee should never, ever, play center.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:41 pm
Ellis
Rush
McGuire
Udoh
Tyler

Is there something wrong with that lineup? Your shooters are your guards, your defenders are your wings, and your big guy rebounds. What's the friggin mystery here? This is one of MANY lineups you could throw Tyler in. Say you wanna run without losing size:

Curry
Ellis
Thompson
Lee
Tyler

Say you want to protect a 10 point lead in the second half and you wanna slow the ball down while grabbing every defensive rebound:

Curry
Rush
McGuire
Lee
Tyler

I just see a thousand different ways we can use a real CENTER.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Return to Game Threads